Is it edgy for a character to want to kill the gods of a setting if said gods are assholes like the Greek gods?

Is it edgy for a character to want to kill the gods of a setting if said gods are assholes like the Greek gods?

Said gods also being closer in power to Greek gods than more modern nigh-omnipotent gods in fiction, so it might actually be feasible.

Yes but who cares? If someone thinks being edgy is badwrongfun then they're just being a bore.
Check out Kratos for inspiration

Depends to a large degree on how you play it.

It can work as a character motivation, but you also need to make them a good, enjoyable character, rather than a whiny dick bitching about everything being the Gods fault.

Not if he genuinely thinks it is in his peoples best interests and realizes the ramifications of his actions yet considers it necessary even if somewhat unfavorable.

Not neccesarily. If you existed in a setting in which they existed, and had the power to do so, wouldn't you try and kill the Great Old Ones?

I've always liked Worf's summation of what happened to the Klingon gods - "Our gods are dead, ancient Klingon warriors slew them a millennia ago. They were more trouble than they were worth".

OT: Wanting to take out the gods isn't necessarily an edgelord thing if you don't go full Kratos and/or just do it because you feel like it. If the gods are more trouble than they're worth, by all means give it the ol' college try. Should give your DM a lot of plot hook ideas if you give him the opportunity.

A note about killing gods and the Greeks. In their mind the gods were often had foibles like humans, but altogether they were still greater than man. Sometimes man even approached being godlike, but they always stepped down because it wasn't their place. Diomedes, for example, almost killed Ares but didn't because only a god can kill a god.

So the first step in killing gods would be either binding one to your service or becoming one yourself?

It's been a common theme in fiction for centuries, user. If it comes off as edgy, it's because you're shit at roleplaying, not because of the character's nature.

Incidentally, this is true for like 90% of the time. You could probably play a rapist and still make it work under right circumstances.

Disclaimer: Don't actually roleplay as a rapist. Ever.

I mean JC Denton is edgy if you think about it.

but do people call him that? Its becasue he doesnt come off as tryhard

Check Irish mythology. It's basically humans kicked the local (small) gods asses with the help of Erie and such. (Hence why it's called Ireland, Erie's land. They promised to pay respect to her and in return they got help)

That's also because JC is hilarious in his own way with his sarcastic deadpan tone.

it's only edgy if you go full on fedoralord.

kratos's primary motivation in the first game was because the other gods asked him to kill aries

and his motivation in the later games was because the other gods turned on him which in honesty he should of saw coming considering how he became the god of war in the first place

I don't know, if they blame anything on the gods it could at least be funny.

It would be much more funny if it turns out that he was right about it too.

>Character walks outside
>Gets rained on
>Only him though, clear skies for everyone else
>"FUCK OFF GODS I'LL KICK YOUR ASSES"

Honestly, that could be a great theme for a lawful good paladin, even one tied to a god. They could see the gods, even their god, as corrupt, and feel that removal/replacement is the only option for everlasting peace. It would mean putting your moral standing at odds with your role as a servant, which could be fun.

But if you are a dark nihilist who thinks that gods are just a pain, then yes. Fuck that.

I once did a reformed rapist, and once when a bbeg didn't seem unlikable enough, I made him a little rapey. Rape can be a useful tool, if done right.

>Basically every "thanks Obama" joke ever, but with the gods instead.
>Spill chocolate milk
>Fucking little bitch gods
>Burn an egg
>Friggin gods
>Make a bad roll with the dice
>OOC yell "Fucking piece of shit gods"

The Greek gods themselves killed the gods. Of course, they then assumed their roles. What is the player going to do about that? Is there a cosmological need for gods? What happens if you kill the god of war and he isn't replaced? Do armies still do fine or do men find that their courage fails them and even if you can raise an army, they fight reluctantly and flee battle quickly? Does killing the sun god leave the world in eternal night?

Just because they're the god of something doesn't mean they're the source of it, in fact it could just as well be the opposite.
This seems especially true for weaker (compared to say Old Testament God) gods.

Pic related in an Exalted 3e game that was hiatused a week ago. He was a Abyssal Exalt who teetered between Dusk, Daybreak, and Moonshadow caste but his overall job was to make sure that people didn't go making massive zombie armies and/or completely fucking over the laws of the Underworld.

Some of the gods in our setting had fallen in love with certain mortals and were fighting over who that mortal would choose. Now it was a small group of mortals but the gods were yandere queen bitches, both the men and the women gods, and would spite each other by killing the other's mortal waifu/husbando when they lost the waifu's heart to the other god/goddess. The problem was that their waifu wars started wiping out entire cities and they would also use the dead souls of the townspeople to forcefully reincarnate/revive their waifus/husbandos all over again. Since this meant a lot of souls weren't going to the underworld and they actually started stealing souls to power the increasing cost of their spells, I was tasked by the death lords to put a stop to it.

In the end I was tasked on protecting a waifu from a yandere superslut pleasure goddess. Suprise Suprise, the waifu was a young tomboy princess that acted tough but was a total sub, loved leather shit that the superslut was into, and was so sheltered she wouldn't last a day as a queen. At first it was to use the waifu as bait but over time my character realized that he needed to train the princess into becoming a dominating woman who would either spurn or accept supersluts advances, but on her own terms and stood her ground on it.

Long story short I got to lure superslut into the open and was about to kill her when Princess finally accepted the yandere goddess's love but whipped her into submission. Another god came afterwards trying to kill the princess because he lost the waifu wars but the team helped with taking him down quickly. We have about 5 more god/goddess pairs to take down.

But just imagine at the very end of his journey, when's he's got Godslayer lodged in the chest of the leader of the pantheon, and he hears the god's dying words.

>Hahaha... We made you drop every single ice cream cone you touched... Classic.