As a GM do you provide food for your players?

As a GM do you provide food for your players?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/spicy-spring-sicilian-pizza-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If I'm providing the game some other dick can handle the grub.

We split the cost of whatever we have delivered or whatever I need to cook up dinner for everyone. Well, that and we share weed too. Isn't that the norm?

No. We buy our own food and share parts of it (like chips or pop). Sometimes the players bring food for the GM as a reward for all his hard work.

>pretzels
>baby carrots
>water

Want something else bring your own shit.

Agreed. I will provide drinks, but the rest of them can provide the food. But the only reason I get drinks is because the guys I play with have terrible taste in alcohol.

>implying I don't like pretzels and carrots

I like to make a big jar of iced coffee and get some pretzles but thats it since i gm and host

Host provides food and snacks, a role which rotates each session.

I run the game. I host the game. If someone who does nothing but show up wants me to provide them with something to put in their mouth, I will gladly supply my balls.

Kinda.

My 6 person group has a rotation set up. We have three DMs and two people with actual jobs. One DM is in each couple and the third isn't with either. The DM never cooks. So the rotation goes:

Week 1: DM A runs game, DM A brings snacks, DM C Cooks dinner
Week 2: DM B runs game, DM A cooks dinner, DM C brings snacks
Week 3: DM C runs game, DM A cooks dinner, DM C brings snacks
Week 4: DM A runs game, DM A brings snacks, DM C Cooks dinner
Week 5: DM B runs game, DM A brings snacks, DM C Cooks dinner
Week 6: DM C runs game, DM A cooks dinner, DM C brings snacks.

And then it repeats. The basic idea is that DM C and A alternate cooking/bringing snacks and whoever is DMing that day doesn't cook (because it's a hassle to cook and DM at the same time)

And just to make things weirder, each DM is doing a separate campaign:
- DM A is doing Exalted
- DM B is doing Pokemon Tabletop United (custom setting for it)
- DM C is doing D&D 5e (Zelda based setting)

It works, for the most part.

Pissing off your GM is already a bad idea on its own, but it gets a whole lot worse when he's also preparing things that you intend to put in your mouth.

I usually spend like $10 on lollies and crap before a session, but we play on the radio, so we can only eat during breaks. Pizza's, etc, wouldn't really work.

Yes, but only in-game.

Nothing! I hate my players! I hate all of them!

If I ran at my own place, I might.
Otherwise it's the players fucking responsibility.
I'm the one who has to suffer through running the game for them, the least they could do is bring food.

We usually all chip in for pizza and drinks. However, as a player, I'm growing tired of Alcohol at the table. I was on my way to play, and by he time I got there the DM and the Bard had downed a mason jar of apple pie flavored moonshine. Soon after, the DM said he was going home because he felt delicious. (His house is next door to the house we play in)

>Little Caesar's

Man, I miss them

All I get in my current town is Dominos aka sauce-on-cardboard

I often bring snacks (chips and dip or Taco Bell burritos and tacos) as well as sodas but actual 'dinner' stuff like pizza is pitched in by the whole group if we want all want it.

We vote and then split the price of what we eat. If you really want something no one else wants you bring it.

Miss the opportunity for potluck? Hell no.

Well naturally.

Everyone deserves one last meal before they are sent off to slaughter adventure.

My town's Dominos and Little Caesar's are the exact opposite yours, apparently. .

>$10 worth of lollies
>Playing on the radio

What is going on.

>play on the radio
Explain this.

For my college friends who just started DnD, I bring my 50lbs of pussy and dice, the rulebooks, character sheets, notes, whiteboard, pencils, wet erase markers, screen, modules, etc. I insisted that I bring everything for their first sessions until I start telling them to bring their own dice. Luckily they have the basic rules pdf so they have a copy of their own on their tablets/phones/laptops.

They've decided since I bring that to them, they provide the food. I offered to split the pay for the food but they declined saying that I'm like a guest (they live in the same dorm complex while my apartment is thirty minutes away from the uni)

It's pretty nice but I can't help bu feel guilty that I'm getting free food but hah, oh well.

Don't be rude man, I love pretzels but I still bring stuff to the gaming table.

Hell, one time I did homemade italian ice. Shit was great.

Sounds like he plays over ham radio or something.

>I bring my 50lbs of pussy
I'm sorry what.

No. Either everyone bring something or we share the cost.

Nope, but I always have fancy Belgian beer for the host.
We usually drink it together before drinking everything the host has to offer, but it's the thought that counts.

we used to order pizza but one of my buddies wanted to get in shape so we cut that out.

Instead someone had the brilliant idea of getting thematic food that fits the ambiente of the game.

Right now I provide hard sausages with a loaf of bread and mustard, people can being their own additions to this (vegetables, ham, bacon, whatever fits and they want) everyone gets a knife to cut the bread and sausage.

perfect to get in the mood for tavern and traveling meals among a party.

Not necessarily healthy. but damn if it doesn't add to the game.

I'm sure you meant to write delirious but the thought of a DM going home because he feels just too damn tasty is fantastic and made me sincerely laugh. Thank you user.

tell your buddy he can still eat pizza and get in shape.
just tell him to limit it to one or two slices instead of one or two pies.

They really like tiny asian hookers I guess ?

that was like 3 years ago at this point, and he didn't want to watch us eat pizza while he ate nothing.

he's still fat and we are back to ordering pizza again when it fits the setting

(we ran a game set in the present a few months ago and ordered pizza)
but this type of system worked really well in "medieval" fantasy settings.

> if I'm providing the game.

'cept you're not. The players are providing the game. Your job is to react to them and provide a fun and enjoyable adventure. THEY create the fun, not you. They are the gateholder of fun. Otherwise, have fun sitting at home masturbating to your shitty adventure plans. Guess what? No one will ever care. You owe your players everything.

I can just tell you're a really shitty DM. Let me tell you something, I have over 7000 hours of GMing experience. Probably more. I've been GMing for about 15 years now and I run sessions three times a week.

I am so sick of listening to DMs whine about how the players ruined "my" plans or killed "my" NPC. Listen, faggot, you don't "own" anything, okay? The players control what's going on. Your job is to react. They roll a natural 20? That means they automatically succeed at what they are doing. I don't care if it's popping a zit or jumping halfway to the moon on a pogo stick, a natural 20 is special and they deserve success as a reward for rolling it. Second of all, you let the players do whatever they want. You got that bitch? Whatever. They. Want. You are doing this for their entertainment therefore you get to suck their dicks. They want to start a business? Well you better have homebrewed rules for running a business, faggot, because it's up to you make their dreams come true. Don't like it? You should've let someone else DM. I've been DMing for the past 20 years and I've always satisfied my players, because I do what needs to be done. Players want an adventure about rescuing princesses? Done. Player wants a quest to find a magical sword? I ask, +1 sword or flaming sword? Sometimes I get my girlfriend to help me play as well as my wife's son (Yeah I got laid, jealous? Not my kid, you sick fuck, my wife). Oh, and I also have a beard. THAT is what it means to be a good GM.

I use to buy drinks when I was a dm.
4 12 packs for $9. It would last us about 3 ish games.
>diabetic player join us.
>I got a diet 12 pack for him.
>after the first session of only him drinking them, 3 cans remain
> happens next session
> I bring it up in private that he's drinking 3-4 times more then anyone else.
> he says he take 4 cans home cuz he has nothing to drink. (Dude is in his 30s)
> I tell i'm going to buy soda every 3ed game so if he wants to burn thru it in a game thats up to him
> he's mad but whatever.
> session 2 he runs out and asks me in front of the group (to guilt me) to buy more at our next break
> call him out and he leaves
> haven't been buying shit since not sure if I should

I'll gladly accept.

This is a troll right?
People can't be this stupid.

Go grab a pogo stick
try to jump to the moon 20 time (same chance as a nat 20)

>that feel when I wish I had friends to share snacks with and play traditional games
>that other feel when I'm not even motivated enough to get snacks for myself
>every meal is chicken nuggets

I don't believe that Little Caesar's qualifies as food under the Geneva Conventions.

Hey, those bacon wrapped deep-dishes are delicious going in and horrifying coming out.

In the groups I've played with, the host usually provides soft drinks (alcohol is up to an individual to bring, if it's welcome at all) and others bring snack foods to share. For marathon game sessions, it might even be a bit of a potluck, or splitting a pizza.

We all chip in for pizza or something similar, and take a break to eat, at least on most days.

However, for the about six months of weekly Legend of the Five Rings sessions we had last year, I made sushi before each session for the players.

It's too hard to focus on the game while high. At least for me.

Except that is in real life. D&D is a GAME thus it does not obey real world expectations.

You sound like a terrible DM. Why do you hate fun, exactly?

How many lolis does $10 get you?

Holy shit, btfo. Shitty GMs on suicide watch.

>live in Germany
>crave pizza
>choice of at least 5 decent to great places to order from
>none of them are chains
>but we have those too

Do you really order Domino's, Pizza Hut and Little Caesar's on the regular?

Are you sure you're not confusing the two?

or have you not been to dominos since they revamped all their shit a couple years ago?

We get our pizza at a little local pizza shop run by an old Italian dude.

In case of my group, the deal is that I provide the place (not only for rpg but meetings in general) and they provide food and drinks. Works good.

My gaming table is a no homos zone. Not by rule or anything. We've had homosexual players but they invariably can't handle the crude humor.. which typically includes proclamations of homosexuality levied at other players.

Maybe it's crude but we're actually quite accepting.. we're all just harmless, immature assholes.

I make my own pizza.

(sicilian, 2 lbs dough, mozzarella under the sauce, sauce made with San Marzano tomatoes and oregano, pie covered in pecarino romano, baked 500 degrees 16 minutes... turning halfway. Boom!

Thank me later.)

You know I thought you might just be a retard until
>wife's son
It's a shame that was at the bottom so it was too late to quit reading. Oh well, I guess you got a (You) out of it.

Yes.

I feel I have an obligation.

So every game night is also 'I tried out this recipe, whatcha think' night.

Typically everybody brings some snacks of their own, and if I feel like it I'll let people know ahead of time that I'll be preparing some food or something. Doesn't often happen mind you.

Personally, I love to cook and I love to GM, so every week I make dinner and then we play. The party covers whatever the ingredients cost up to $40, so it's not a big deal, and it's always nice having willing test subjects for whatever new recipe I want to try. I try to base the meals on whatever is going on in the session. Actually, sometimes I base whatever is going to go on based on what I want to cook. We just did a fun under the sea adventure because I wanted to make sushi. It's actually a pretty great set up.

That sounds exactly like this recipe:
seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/spicy-spring-sicilian-pizza-recipe.html
Probably the best pizza I've ever made.

Everyone gives in my group hands me 5 bucks per session. From that, I spend about 3 or so hours preparing a dinner or alot of snacks for them.

Last session I made a small roast and a chocolate tart for all of them.

no, everybody who wants to brings something which then gets shared by all (beverages are generally "everybody for himself" though). those who have better paid jobs tend to contribute more. but really we're decades-long friends, so we're past those issues.

no, when we order food it's also "everybody for himself". when food is cooked though, it's generally the guy at who's place we're gaming who pays.

again, old friends, nobody cares

We mix it up. Usually we'll throw in for a 12 pack, some chips, popcorn, etc. Everyone brings at least one thing. On Halloween we got some cheeses, bread, salami, and carrots. Put those suckers on wooden boards with tankards of Ale.

Look, it's the hosts responsibility to provide food. And entertainment. The host can bring the GM and plan a gam, but the host provides the food. If the host is the GM, the GM provides the food.
HOWEVER, providing the food can also mean an agreement between the guests, such as potluck, pooled resources pizza order, and so on.
It is pretentious of the GM to expect to be fed. That is a sign of a bad GM, as that behavior will exist in the play-style.
Players should not expect the GM to entertain and provide for them. That also reflects badly on the player.
Now I know that there are players that are broke (I have been that guy), and there are players not willing to support others.
Golden rule; Don't be a dick.

Not nearly enough

You're in luck, that wasn't a typo. He said he felt delicious so he went home

everybody's saying bring your own food, your moral stand means nothing.

And while I don't "expect to be fed" myself, you're kidding yourself if you think the GM isn't allowed some perks for spending 5-10+ hours per week on making a fun game for the rest of the party.

>Golden rule; Don't be a dick.
Sounds like you regularly break that one.

Is this the trendy thing people are copy-pasting on this board now?

How can this even made into an argument? The people I play with are broke college students. No one ever expects to fed when he head to anyone's house. If we do get hungry we take a break and either head to publix for no brand name pizza pockets or we order delivery.

And yes, everyone pitches in. No way in hell is one guy paying for everyone's meal just because its his house. I don't care what you were raised on. If you honestly think that just because someone is letting you into their home to play games that they set up, made sure everything is presentable for you, and is going to clean everything after everyone leaves that they are going to pay for your meal, then you either have very well off friends or REALLY good friends.

That will be a hell of a game. In my experience radio transmision is a pain in the ass.

>Delta Mike, this is Papa Charlie Zero One, radio check, over
>This is Delta Mike, I read you five by five Papa Charlie zero one, what do you do, over.
>Delta Mike, I attack the orc over.
>Papa Charlie Zero One, proceed to roll delta two zero, over
>Delta Mike, wilco
>Delta Mike, this is Papa Charlie Zero One, result one eight.
>Zero One, you cleave the orc with the sword, over.
>Delta Mike, say again all after cleave
>Papa Charlie Zero One this is Delta Mike I say again, you cleave the orc with the sword, over.
>Delta Mike, copy that out.

Ha, what's terrible taste to you?
My friends always buy these nasty Smirnoff screwdriver 6 packs.
They're really sugary, too, so it's awful if anyone spills it.

Do you make your friends split your electricity bill for the lights and air conditioning?

I hope no actual GM has to tolerate your presence.

I provide water, sirup, tea, coffee, also beers and juices if I have them handy, to drink. Usually, a couple of bags of chips, sometimes a cake if I had time to back. The rest is my players' responsibility :)

I make about 4x more money than the players who aren't my wife so yes I provide the food. These are my friends, I will use my advantages for their benefit.

>weed
Disgusting.

I've never really had a problem with weed, I just have a problem with the stereotypical stoner, almost nothing gets done when they're playing.

My bard is a stoner and it works really well

A stoner druid would also work really well

I GM, but it's at someone else's house.
We all just get our own food and drinks and offer it around, although if we ever want it we can have a cuppa from the house.
On occasion different people in the group have bought everyone else snacks/meals/drinks before, but there's never been obligation.
We're just a bunch of friends who enjoy hanging and do RP at times.

>this will be posted in every single "that guy" thread from now on

My old group we used to all go out to dinner before the game. If you didn't want to go out to dinner for some reason you fed yourself before the game. Tea and water were at the table (I think soda too, but I never drank any soda).

One time I brought chili and cornbread when I was running Deadlands. Now days I don't have a group. Everyone I know around me is busy with kids and stuff (as am I).

should have just switched back to regular and watched the fucker go into a coma, i literally cannot stand people that pull this shit and get mad when you have to say something

What a cunt. You should have bought 2 litre bottles of regular soda, switched the labels for diet stuff, and let him quaff four of them at a sitting.

>turning halfway

What, so all the toppings fall off, Einstein?

I'm not the only one, then.
Once I fed my players a Scandinavian potato casserole, for the sole reason of "Hey, I found this recipe. This looks good, Imma make it."
It was pretty good.

I actually used to when I hosted at my house, I guess as some impulse toward proper manners, always assuming that people would eventually, you know, give something back. Show up with chips or soda, or buy pizza for the group, or even just say "hey, ive eaten a free meal here every week for the last year, let me give you 20 bucks." But eventually i realized it would never happen. People showed up, ate what was provided, a few hours later would start raiding my refrigerator. They'd never give anything back, rarely even say thanks. So I stopped providing meals, then I stopped providing snacks, then I stopped having good in the house at all on game day, because it felt petty and inhospitable to refuse good or drinks to my friends in my own home, but they were eating up hundreds of dollars and never even saying thanks.

Eventually I just stopped hanging out with those people. As you get older, you realize a lot of your friends are douchebags.

I would if them being there consumed an extra person's worth of electricity each.

What is "Sirup?"

>3 DM's
Wtf we can barely get one
me

I think he means squash/cordial

I'm not allowed to do that anymore ever since I used all of the pooled player money to buy the group 3 large Hawaiian pizzas.

It depends, usually we all go out to eat before the session and have a pow-wow at the restaurant about the upcoming session. We meet every other week, and the restaurant pick rotates before each session though if literally nobody else wants to each there we can vote to force a repick.

As GM and the only one of my friends who has lucked into a not-crap paying job and thus has a somewhat nice and spacious apartment, we all play at my place. I provide some snacks and sodas/water, and another friend usually brings some sort of alcohol. She's somewhat of an alcoholic herself, but has really good taste and never brings any unless she plans on sharing. Besides the restaurant thing there's no real set system, that's just how things usually turn out, and ocassionally people will show up with surprise treats for everyone. Actually just last week the resident stoner brought some very special homemade baked goods, my god that was a fun night.

Everyone brings 5 bucks dm brings 10 get some pizza

>stoner brought some very special homemade baked goods
>special homemade baked goods
so you all got stoned? sounds fun

Rotating it you mong

Beer only. No eating while recording the podcast

Link to your podcast, user? What do you play?