Ok fa/tg/guys, I need your help. So I'm finally getting in to Warhammer so I bought pic related, some primer...

Ok fa/tg/guys, I need your help. So I'm finally getting in to Warhammer so I bought pic related, some primer, and a few base paints to start painting my minis, and I have no idea what to do. I plan on doing Tzeentchey colors, and I have blue, black, gold, and bone right now. I just don't know how to actually paint the fuckers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6I0kNEQA2pk
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

go on GW's website, they have tutorials.

Also thin your paints and use washes.
Thin your paints by the way, and don't apply layers that are too thick. Apply several thin layers of thinned paint until you've got a good color, instead of thick ones.

Thin your paints. It's a meme for a reason. Because it's the truth.

The biggest issue I'm having is that my paints aren't sticking to the minis in a solid coat, but instead in somewhat chalky bands.

Prime them black, then detail them.

Put a wash on, Nuln Oil will do the trick for you

Then for finishing touches correct areas that got mis-colored, and drybrush lighter versions of your colors onto places you want to highlight(long edges of weapons and armor, glowing things).

Oh and
>thin your paints

Did you prime them firsthand?

Apply primer
then apply color
then washes.
If you're a memepainter with no talent, use an airbrush for zenithal highlights.
then another wash.

Yes. Do you try and prime 100% of the model or just most or what?

You prime the entire model. Unless there are parts you aren't planning on painting...

100% of it obviously.
if there's no primer on a surface, paint won't adhere to it.

Ok, because that's what I did.Maybe I just need to get better at it?

all of it
You can also prime and paint some parts (like the shields) separately because you won't be able to reach every corner with your brush if the miniature is fully assembled before being painted.

Then in that case I guess that by "chalky" you mean like dry paint.

In that case just dilute your paint a little before applying it.

And as usual, several thin coats of paint will eventually result in a uniform color.

But that's not necessarily what you want. Some painters use a messier technique that relies heavily on washes, splashes and color smudges. But they make it look good by adjusting and highlighting small details afterwards with a fine detail brush.

Oh, that makes sense. See, all I have is bases atm. I have a shopping list of layer and wash paints that I'm getting next paycheck, so that may help me out. How much do I dilute without it being too much? Also, I don't have a palette, what should I use insteaad?

Several coats. Thinning is important, but what gets more beginners is just lumping too much paint on the brush. Keep a small enough amount on there that there's still a nice tip to the brush, and you won't have as many issues.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll take your advice when I go back to painting.

Look up WarhammerTV on YouTube. Lots of painting tutorials.

>Apply Agrax Earthshade to models
>Models look like they've ran through mud for days, and now its dried onto their clothes/armor

>Apply Nuln Oil
>Models are now shiny and look like they've actually been covered in oil. Honestly thought the models were still wet and drying because of how shiny they became.

What the fuck is this magic?

Wait until you see the gloss versions of those washes.

no, they look terrible

>How much do I dilute without it being too much?
youtube.com/watch?v=6I0kNEQA2pk

>Also, I don't have a palette, what should I use insteaad?
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

Hope that helps.

Is there a diffirence between spray paint primer vs just painting the primer by hand?

spray is faster and makes a smooth thin coat, brush primer if fine for priming places that were impossible to reach with spray.

Prime black, and not with shitty walmart primer.
Then add large color areas, then touch up if you need to, then add the smaller details. You need two different brush sizes.
Also google painting guide videos.