Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums

How do I get into D&D?
What should I buy as a starter (aged 25)? I'm an absolute noob.

Warm wishes
Jonathan

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
dmsguild.com/product/186488/A-Most-Potent-Brew--A-Basic-Rules-Adventure
reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1r0f0b/help_what_is_a_decader/
dropbox.com/s/tzi4prgucw3pdgl/D&D Stater Guide.pdf?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

do you have friends to play? if yes, then you dont need to buy anything

repost:
Basic rules for dnd 5
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

A simple straight forward module
dmsguild.com/product/186488/A-Most-Potent-Brew--A-Basic-Rules-Adventure

If you enjoyed it get a core rule book, monster manual and dungeon masters guide and off you go

One golden rule for dungeon mastering for your journey: "don't say 'no', say 'yes, but...'"

if you dont, then find a group that can show you how it works. either way you dont need to buy anything to try it out. only moving forward

Well, he might need some dice. Or a dice-roller app.

Many thanks for the informative post. I'll look into it in detail this afternoon.

I have some friends that also want to start playing the game, but just like me they have zilch experience with the game.

What about the game sets that are being sold, like the "lords of waterdeep" or that "starter set"?

Which dice would I need then? I've seen lots of fancy ones in stores before, but I have no idea which ones are necessary to play this game.

My apologies for these silly questions. I should look this up, but while I'm at it... Well.

All the best
Jonathan

Dice are written as xdy, where x is the number of dice, and y is the number of sides.

A standard set of dice includes 1d20, 1d12, 2d10, 1d8, 1d6, and 1d4. Preferably a set for each person. You can buy sets like this in game stores or online.

Another option you have for yourself dearest Jonathan is to go to the website "roll20". Therein you shall find online games of D&D, and many others, that you might participate in, or maybe watch if you want to get a feel for a game.You said you have friends also interested in starting playing as well, so you already have your other players, but you may need to find yourself someone already familiar with Game Mastering (GMing) and you may be able to so on the above website. Similarly you may be able to find someone willing to help you and your friends out as a GM in a game finder thread if one is up.

Good luck and have fun.

>All the best
>Jonathan
Areyou for real with this?

Is that some Hero Quest with at least two expansions?

If he's having you on, you just wasted a valuable (you).
If he's not, then let the guy be new. We all were at one stage.

The easy way is to have some friends that are into RPGs. Someone with a bit of experience makes it easier.
If none of your friends are, but are willing to try, start with something easy, like The Adventures of Munchausen instead of D&D, it's a low-fantasy drinking game with very few rules, it's easier for n00bs.

Thanks for this wonderful advice. I'm especially interested in watching a game. I've explored the website a bit, but I can't seem to find a livestream or anything like that. Am I missing something?

I also want to say that I am flabbergasted by how friendly this board seems to be, much friendlier than /tv/ and /x/, for instance. I hope this is not just coincidental.

I have no idea.

I know people don't generally do this on these boards, but I like to do what I like to do. A wise man once told me to "do what thou wilt", or something like that :^)

Wishing you all the very best
Jonathan

Just saying, there is a NAME field, you could write your name there.
It makes it easier, now I'm Confused, are you Anonymous or Jonathan?

I'm an Anonymous Jonathan!

Greetings
Jonathan

>Jonathan
jesus christ, lurk moar, newfag

Your response illustrates that you might very well be more of a "newfag" than me, if not also remarkably childish.

All the worst
Jonathan

I find too little rules actually worse for new players, since the main purpose of rules is to help everyone to "be on the same page" in a situation, and loose games just lead to confusion and arguments over what can and can't be done. Not to say that AoM isn't okay for beginners, but they might be better off with a little more structure.

funniest thread on the teeg

what you need
>basic rules
just a pdf will do. Get familiar enough with it.
>some dice, preferably over an app
There's no massive difference but the dice is traditional and feels good. Clear dice are favorable because you can clearly see imperfections in the polymer rather than opaque. A polyhedral set is all you need.
>an adventure module
don't bother fucking about with your own worlds or adventures for a little while. get a couple of premade adventures under your belt. Trust me.
>3-4 friends
Games can be with a group of six people, 5 and a GM, but any more gets unwieldy pretty quickly. I prefer 4 players and a GM, but I know a few people who like 3 players or 5.
>pens and paper
and get some character sheets while you're at it.

Most of all take it easy, have fun and don't let it frustrate you. There are a couple of groups who play online. There's that bunch of voice actors who have a show which is quite popular but I'm not that fond of it.

>Every-user is Jonathan

>Every-user is Jonathan
A competitive thread for three or more horrible anons

I hear that's the whole of the law.

And yes, Veeky Forums's better than /tv/, though honestly only marginally.

>mfw OPis comedic genius and master ruseman

thanks for the laughs, Jonathan

>Jonathan Dies at the End

As other anonathans have said, you don't have to buy any rulebooks to get started, as you can download a condensed version of the rules to try it before you buy it.

There is also a boxed Starter Set for Fifth Edition that's a pretty good value. It has the dice you need, some pre-generated characters for the players, and a decent intro adventure. I'm seeing the starter set on Amazon for $13 right now.

of the 2d10 pictured here, one is a normal d10 (0-9) the other is a decader (00-90) rolled together with the d10 to give a d100 roll (decader gives the tens, d10 gives the units)

here, I get it now. All the best to you too, friend.

>a decader
Is that really what we call them? I had no idea! That's cool.

Well, I've been had. Fuck you Veeky Forums.

Well, there is this from 2013

reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1r0f0b/help_what_is_a_decader/

>Warm wishes
>Jonathan

why hasn't OP been laughed off the board yet?

People tried, but he was nice about it, so eh

Jonathan supremacy

Because people don'the realize that kindness is a stronger force than hatred.

well timed memes

>What about the game sets that are being sold, like the "lords of waterdeep" or that "starter set"?

Lords of Waterdeep is a board game based on D&D - not actual D&D. As for that D&D Starter Set, it contains everything you need to get started, including a basic rules booklet, a pre-made adventure, pre-made characters, and a set of dice. You could just as easily play with the PDFs and a $5 set of dice from a game shop, but if you want a physical rules book you can pass around then a starter set isn't a bad idea.
Also note that the Starter Set's pre-made stuff can be totally ignored if you want. In fact, it's a lot more fun to make your own character than to use one of the pre-made ones. And as for the adventure module, you can either run it or find a different one online.

>Which dice would I need then? I've seen lots of fancy ones in stores before, but I have no idea which ones are necessary to play this game.
Like other anons said, a 7-die set is standard fare for like 90% of RPGs. Just walk into any game shop and ask for D&D dice and they should have several pretty ones to choose from.

I'm especially interested in watching a game. I've explored the website a bit, but I can't seem to find a livestream or anything like that.
Watching a game is definitely a good idea, especially if you have no experience. I've never used Roll20, but there are many streaming and recorded D&D campaigns on twitch, youtube, etc.

Here are some more resources:
Starter Guide from /5eg/, definitely read through this: dropbox.com/s/tzi4prgucw3pdgl/D&D Stater Guide.pdf?dl=0
Blank character sheet (see attached file), print these out and give one to each player for character creation.

Best of luck!

First you buy some lube
Then you buy the largest size of dildo your local sex shop sells, preferably black in color
Apply lube to the dildo after you have unpackaged both items
Then you stick the dildo up your ass

After that, lurk moar

the only acceptable stated reason

I can confirm that its heroquest, the ghosts aren't from anything I can remember. The skellies and mummies came from the first expansion.

I think the goshts are proxies, or stuff like that.
Perhaps 3rd party minis used for houseruled monsters.