Have you ever played as a character whose name is a pun?

Have you ever played as a character whose name is a pun?
If not, does it bother you when another player does that?

Novelty character only ever seems to last as long as their gimmick is funny. I don't hate pun names so much as players wasting my time with a character they have no intention of developing.

It's always a pun. Always.
But it's also hidden enough that the pun needs to be explained.

Hugh Mungus is a good pun name, all thing's considered.

I should use it for an unarmed brawler.

I played a brewer whose name was Alus Cooper. People just called him Coop and I was alright with that.

Hugh Mungus what?

It's not a name unless it has a boxer style quotation mark middle name or a the bloodcrusher behind it.

I played Abeegail who was a beemancer. Everyone loved it.

This.

Indiana Gnomes.

And as long as you laughed at that is as long as the character was interesting to play.

Just walk away

Use to play on a minecraft dwarf fortress themed roleplaying server as a human named Deetwelf, named after the hip hop group D12.

Spoke in era-appropriate ebonics and made his way by jewing people on potion (drug) deals. Tried to pimp out elves, to moderate success. Slipped stupidly edgy shit under the radar via implications. Met his end by getting ganged up on by haters (zombies+skeletons+lava) in an underground chasm. Was a fun ride.

>Have you ever played as a character whose name is a pun?

No.

>If not, does it bother you when another player does that?

Not in a comical game. In a serious game it's usually That Guy territory, though it's possible to do puns that aren't lolderp.

One player in my group plays a character named Miss Anne Drist. I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to notice it

Hugh Mungus, that's my name.

I played a Bear Warrior named Pheros which means "to bear" in Greek, I thought it was pretty clever desu. But it only pisses me off when it's so overt and required the bear minimum effort :^)

I once had a drow monk named Ken'Sheero of house Ha'kto. Nobody understood the reference.

I_understood_that_reference.gif

You mean Hugh Mungus wot.

Pun names are terrible, and part of my player vetting process is to have them give me thematic character names. Unoriginal, edgy, referetial, clearly uninspired, and off-theme humorous names are immediate turndowns.

>no fun allowed

>No, you may not make a DM pact warlock character named Dixon Cox

I made a centaur paladin named Good Sir Horst.

THIS

Kli Shae

I am currently playing a cleric named Hale Botte. It was a very "make a character really quick b/c we're starting in an hour" sort of thing, so no ragrets.

rolled up a dog named Charles Barkley once.
Called him Charlie for short

One of my favorite characters was an Enchantment focused Sorceress named Mary-Annette. She insisted people use the whole thing as her first name.

>Played a cervine character
>culture had plant-based naming conventions
>named them Reed

I didn't even realize what I had done for a good 3 months

I like names that have some kind of meaning but aren't necessarily "puns", names from history are a favorite, like my paladin was Lowe Mitternacht, after the nickname of gustavus adolphus or a commando-type rouge named Darewin after the SAS motto "who dares wins"

>I keep giving the dragons names that are anagrams of dragon names from WoW
>Even got lazy enough to just have one named Aszartsxela
>Two of the players actually play WoW on a regular basis
>none of them got it

How could this happen to me.

I've made my mistakes.

Robyn Banks

It was in a setting where shadow names were used nearly always.

Most of my PCs have had shitty joke names, but never puns. I've done chicago gangsters, celebrities, historical figures, and shitty memes.

I miss that server. I wonder if anyone remembers my gunpowder snorting routine.

My current DM has the highest kill count of any DMs i've played with thus far so i decided that i'd make a batch of characters that were a family since that would make their intro the easiest. so far i've got
>Wendy McSpankeybottom (npc Parent)
>Richard McSpankeybottom (npc parent
>Harry McSpankeybottom (paladin, dead)
>Red McSpankeybottom (fighter, current)
>Gigli McSpankeybottom-McSpankeytop (rouge)
>Flass McSpankeytop (cleric)
>Arthur Ulysses Adam McSpankeytop "Art U.A. McSpankeytop" (sorcerer)
>Luce McSpankeytop (bard)
>Bobby McSpankeytop (bard)

it doesn't bother me when someone else plays a character with a pun name. they just have to not over play it to where it gets in the way of playing the game.

Cata Fractalae.

Not quite a pun, but I have a half-dragon PC in the party I'm DMing named Seta Kaiba.

Next time, on Jokes Taken Seriously!

Used to be a common thing I did. Less so now.

Did play a crazy goblin who performed numerous surgeries on himself, named Doctor Doktore, quite recently. URealms isn't really a game where that sort of shit is a big deal, since characters only last a single session.

He made a fair impact.

Stealing this one, it's great.

Not really a pun more of a joke on his sometimes less than chivalrous nature.. His name is Fiorello de Vizzini... (yep stole the name from PB). The first name mean "little flower" and the place name means "wilting".

I once played a Revenant whose initials were K I A. Nobody picked up on the joke because they always just referred to him by his first or last name only, but it amused me the whole game anyways.

I also always give Drow incredibly slavic names because of the Gri'gori threads.

I named an npcs pet bear Charles Bearkly once. My players kidnapped it purely out of its name.

So was this guy burned at the stake like so many other "sexual harassers"?

I once played a melancholic wizard named Desmond Paren. Everyone called him Dez

I'm not sure if I'm intelligent or just that stupid guy who speaks up when everyone else thinks the joke is so obvious that it needn't be said, but I'm usually the first who speaks up about jokes or puns that come up.

Also, most all of my characters are translations of his main theme, corrupted just a bit to make it "setting appropriate". I made a psionic guy who wielded a spear and named him Mind Spear.

Aquimeles Sento and his cousin Aquiles Vengo. Hope you guys speak spanish because these don't work on english.

You may as well just ask if anyone has played paranoia.

Nah people actually mostly took his side

Depends on if it's a Simpsons/Mad Magazine tier pun (Albert Ross, IP Freely, R Sole etc) or a vaguely clever reference.

The former is generally unfitting outside of comedy games, the latter can work providing the player isn't a dick about keep going SEE WHAT I DID THERE

I am thinking of using an injoke name in an upcoming campaign but it's pretty subtle and is a believable name in its own right (character is a Newtype girl in a Gundam campaign called Yon Nirinsou, which is Four Anemone in Japanese, and you would have to know your robot cartoons to get it)

Strength stat

Played a Beserker called Hugh Jaxman once, one guess as to his weapon of choice....

Yuk Fu

I havent but one of my old group played dumbly named characters on purpose, like Urban Rambo.

Relating to the topic of the thread, he once played a ranger called Justin Bush.

>Indiana Gnome
A pun so obvious even TSR did it.

It appears that they wa'nt shock

No but my Character, Toki, is the son of Hoki, Poki, and sibling to Oki Doki and Loki

>Heywood Jablowme
Nope. Can't say I have.

All of my characters are named as references. I'm usually GM, so I don't get many opportunities to do this. I only had one that was a straight-up pun:
He was a paladin revenant (which, in this setting, is skeleton-like) named Maroe. Funny enough to convey the character, but not distractingly in-your-face.
I'm more proud of a headband that draws intelligence from nearby creatures into the user, called the Share-abellum.

I want to play a not-very-clever barbarian character named Iorabeces. The pun ties into part of his backstory
>Dad was a conqueror
>Never learned to read
>Claimed he was the smartest man in the world anyway
>Kept on being asked by academics if he even knew "Iorabeces"
>No one would tell him who Iorabeces was
>Finally swallowed his pride and accepted that if this fellow had convinced everyone not to talk about him to anyone, he must be smarter than this conqueror
>Names one of his sons Iorabeces in honour of the smartest man who ever lived

I don't get the joke.

>Dixon Cox
Fucking stolen.

Don't you even know your ABCs?

>your ABCs?
oh
iour - abcs
not lore-a-beces.

It's fine in Shadowrun and Paranoia but nothing else

So, first session is supposed to happen, I made a veteran cleric who's severely jaded in preparation. Game rolls around and we invite another friend who doesnt have a character. Gm brings up my idea and he says "oh that sounds fun"
>...
So I give him my character and pull a bard named Edward Von Holen out of my ass, a literally who bard with dreams of glory.

2 years and several emotional arcs later, he's a more developed character than most book protagonists. Nigger has developed and refined his ideals only to have them shattered and rebuilt, then ultimately set aside for a greater cause. Ed's been through some shit.

But yes his name is a pun/ripoff and, all of his songs are ripped off VanHalen song. a staple bit a comic relief throughout the years.

Oh and the guy I gave my cleric? left 5 minutes in to game time after making 20 vietnam jokes. Fucker (still love you adam)

Jen Eric
A strong female character who doesn't need a man.

have another >this
less annoyed by pun names though, since the name in itself is a one time joke. I hate gimmicky concepts.

Ivana Nokimova, Brawler

None of my pals are rasslin' fans, so I got away with making a character named Larry It and basing him off pic related.

I'll have you know that Harold J. Unkmann, garbage golemn, is a wholly original concept

Claws and a beautiful voice?

I once played a mage named Danma Ku whose gimmick was getting as many magical projectiles in the air at once. A curtain of fire, one might say.

Lantern / torch?

Fucking this. Had a character one time who was abjectly a joke, named after John Cena, and spoke via spewing memes and pop culture references at NPCs. The other pothead at the table thought he was hysterical.

Completely took me and the other couple players out of the game, giant fucking waste of time for the GM, who planned and executed a pretty good campaign before the shithead decided to get dank.

He eventually pissed off the GM so much that he was flat out told to stop being such a memer fuckhead, and after that session I never saw him again. Campaign ended up being really nice.

More or less, this.

There is usually some meaning to the name, but i try to pick name that fits setting.

I named a character Johnathan Johnson once, and my group started calling him JoJo.

I didn't get it at first.

I played a character named Keanon Fodder at a larp. He actually outlived most of his comrades and eventually became second-in-command, though.

Also, I told everyone I was going to play a bard in a DnD game, only to show up with a fighter named Bart.

Currently DMIng a game of only war and one of our players is named "Sgt Charles Manson" and all of his comrades are named after the Manson girls. It works so far

>Names his son in honor of the smartest man who ever lived
Fucking gold, user

Joke?
Also
>Flipping someone off with thumbs
Why do people do this

So it makes an L for loser at the same time.
Because when flipping the bird, you must add some personal stye.

Not a pun, but my gnome insists being referred to by his full name including the self-given title of Grand Wizard. The idea of something having real world negative signifigance (leader position of the KKK) while fitting in the fantasy world so I can feign ignorance is still mildly amusing. That, and there's the gimmick of occasionally seeming frustrated at no-one using my full name. Dumb but not super disruptive fun.

Karl M-ARX

Played a mage with exclusively fire based spells

Name: Chris P. Bacon

No. Yes.

Magenta is not a valid security clearance.

Danmaku is the name of a genre of top-down shooters, also called bullet hell. Danmaku translates to "curtain fire."

I'd say that Paranoia is a different animal. Puns in non-satirical games is another matter.

Shadowrun, China. I play a street rat gunslinger type who specialized in sneaking next to the enemy and blowing off their heads with a well placed shell between their ears, so he was using a shotgun most of the time.

His name was Hou Bou, street name W.Zatgan

Monk named Tang Wu. He was nothing to fuck with until he got disintegrated by a Beholder

As a dm im fine with pun names as long as the first name sounds normal.

So hugh mungus is ok, for example.

It's more natural if you've already formed a fist and then move to the flip-off position, because you have to move the thumb out of the way and it takes extra effort to move it back. Otherwise, you tend to 'hook' your thumb on your curled index finger.