We've all heard of the dracolich, but can a dragon become a vampire? And if so...

We've all heard of the dracolich, but can a dragon become a vampire? And if so, does its breath attack become a cone of bats?

Depends on which clan the dragon was embraced by.

What does a vampire have that a dragon would want bad enough to become one? Magic? Most dragons tend to be pretty magical. Immortality? Ditto, usually. Really at that point they'd just be adopting a weakness to sunlight, which is inconvenient, and a need for blood - and dragons already eat people.

What if the dragon instead contracted lycanthropy? Does it spew fur?

Depends on the setting of course, but to give a less bleh answer:

In my settings, usually becoming a vampire, a zombie, a werewolf or a lich, is a thing for humans. The idea is that human souls are pure potential, essence. They can be tainted and changed. But a vampire or most other magical creatures are created like that, or were once a human but their essence/soul is long corrupted into something else.

You can't 'mix' those changes. A vampire bitten by a werewolf won't contract lycanthropy, and werewolf bitten by a zombie won't become a zombie werewolf. A dragon bitten by a vampire will only suffer a bite injury and lose blood but it can't be 'turned'.

This is mostly because a run a urban fantasy game.

Could a dragon become a werewolf?

No but that sounds pretty rad.

pic

Also, Draconic shifter half-orc tribe is planning an invasion on your kingdom, wat do?

>>Not having a serial killer that is a Zombie/Vampire/Werewolf that is hunting the only scientist capable of grafting machines to his twisted flesh so he can become a Cyborg Zombie Vampire Werewolf and rule the night.

It is like you hate fun.

most settings have dragons immune to all normal and supernatural diseases.

D&D 4e actually has vampiric dragons. They're only briefly mentioned in the Draconomicon Chromatic Dragons, though, so not much is known about them, except that unlike humanoid vampires they don't sleep in coffins, which really is a shame, as the idea of a vampiric dragon sleeping in a 30m coffin sounds exceedingly cool.

:^)

Yes, and no but it should.

I think I saw one in a splat book somewhere but I can't remember which one, also there's that pasta about wight dragons.

What if a vampire overpowered a wyrmling to feast on its sweet magical dragon blood?

Actually it would probably be a case of a powerful vampire wanting a kickass dragon minion that has to obey his orders, though then it comes down to the vampire needing to be powerful enough or tricky enough to bite a dragon (and the dragon would need to fail any saves or what have you, so it might take multiple bites over an extended period of time.

These are all very dangerous thoughts.
Stop while you can.

Every form of vampirism I can think of would then make the wyrmling never grow up, so you'd never get vampiric Smaug out of it without some kind of aging magic that may or may not exist in that setting.

Honestly, at that point it sounds like a Digimon.

>Ability to breathe inertia
You're fucked

Cyber Allosaur would be a great enemy in Netrunner.

It would stunt his physical growth but is it the size of an adult dragon that makes it most fearsome or its magic, cunning and experience?

What would that even do?

A weapon to surpass metal gear?

A vampire dragon is a greedy thing, supping upon mortals of all kinds as often as it can. The blood is stored, for when a vampire dragon uses its breath weapon, boiling blood spews forth. As such, vampiric dragons are willing to make peace or avoid conflict as much as they reasonably can

ROFLMAO

Well, human vampires are superhumanly strong and charismatic and whatever. Perhaps dragon vampires are superdraconically strong and such.

IIRC in 5e Vampires get 18 STR/DEX/CON if it's not already higher than that, and Adult and larger Dragons have low Dex scores, so you'd end up with a house size super strong and durable Dragon that can also flip around like a mad cunt.

So, let's say you were pushed back slightly by the initial breeze of dragon breath (which is number 4 on the top list of most rancid smells in the 'verse). That inertia hits you, you start being pushed back harder, and find it tougher to stop the longer the inertia breath hits you. But okay, what if you're static when you're hit? Good luck moving afterwards, fucker. The stronger your inertia the harder it is to change your state.

Sure, I guess. But I think a dragon being bitten and turning into a vampire that way is kind of lame. I'd prefer it to be some sort of profane ritual, or pact with a dark power, or the result of blasphemous searching in forbidden places or something.

Or just never explain it. That dragon was always a vampire. He's the vampire-dragon. Myth and legend says this that or the other, nobody knows for sure, don't fuck with him. That's fine too.

Look man, there are certain things that you shouldn't go for.
Like t-rex vampires.
Oh my god.
Vampire t-rex.

>sanity-blasting natural evil good undead dragon demon giant troll Orc human

It's not new. The 3.5 Draconomicon had them too, with template stats.

I was always disappointed when I played Skyrim (yes I know) that Blood Dragons were just "normal" dragons with frost breath, and not vampiric creatures that spewed forth great gouts of infected blood.

IMO a "Vampire Dragon" would be something of a cursed, tormented creature- forced to prey upon basically everything it sees to slake its thirst (including other dragons) and being weakened by the sun. On the plus side it could transform into a swarm of bats, would be monstrously powerful at night even by dragon standards, and could control/are worshipped by other creatures with vampirism. Their breath would be a tide of stinking red fluid/vapour (not actually their blood but close enough) that infects those it touches with vampirism, assuming their flesh doesn't just slough off. The downside of this is it's painful to use. On the upside, it's good for getting strong thralls (the weak are naturally picked off by the causticity), is pretty damn strong as a weapon, and is metal as hell.

>And if so, does its breath attack become a cone of bats

It does now.

No, dragons can't be lycanthropes in their own right.

There are were-dragons, though.

Depends on the setting and how willing you are to accept the books as acceptable role models. There's a Vampire Dragon in Richard Lee Byers' "The Year of Rogue Dragons" which is set in Forgotten Realms, and the rules for Pathfinder certainly lay out ways which you could make Vampire Dragons if you were so inclined. So there's definitely Precedent and a fairly easy way to create it depending on your rules system.

>may breathe sound
so it can shout?

No, it can sing.