Is it just me or is D&D 4e a good system to use for the Shonen fighter genre?

Is it just me or is D&D 4e a good system to use for the Shonen fighter genre?

Fate is better.
M&M is better still.
Wulin may be best of all.

Depends on the shonen

Hisoka pls, don't you have boys to molest or something?

Does it have some sort of hot blooded themed meta currency? I feel like that would be the bare minimum in a shonen rpg

You have to let them ripen first.

Those boys can wait, I'm busy dealing with a spider problem

4e has a good baseline for any video-gamey over the top kind of setting.

I think Hit Points and Healing Surges do the trick on some level.

What would your mother say if she knew you read a Japanese fan comic where little boys are raped while dressed as farm animals?

Most things with levels and named moves are. The problem is they don't have the power of friendship to turn the tide built in.

Did I miss something?

It'd work great for Bleach because a single 4E combat round lasts roughly as long as it takes(took) a new chapter to come out.

13th age has this concept called the Escalation Die where you get bonuses the longer a fight goes on and the more dramatic it becomes. So you're encouraged not to bust out your best moves right out of the gate because they have a better chance of landing later.

Pretty sure that you will lose face among the fans if you continue killing fan favorites.

Considering a single fight takes four hours, yes.

Having only ever seen the first page of that dojinshi, I FUCKING KNEW IT!

Speaking of 13th Age, how well can one import material from 3e and 4e into it?

>Considering a single fight takes four hours, yes.
I laughed in real life

Its not like he killed Feitan or anything.

Speakig of Hunter X Hunter Its always been my dream to run a clusterfuck on the level of the palace invasion. So many moving parts in that.

>So you're encouraged not to bust out your best moves right out of the gate because they have a better chance of landing later.

That's the first time I've heard that explanation for the escalation die. I always wondered wonder what the point of it was.

I still think it dincentivise your players actually you know... do anything for the first three rounds rounds. But waiting half an episode to rise power and then doing a super move is genre appropriate

One Piece does clusterfucks better, characters are regularly all over the fucking place and the story doesn't get as lost as Hunter x Hunter can.

Now the actual story and action is more interesting in Hunter x Hunter.

Not too hard I imagine. The system is pretty similar.

I hope so. The idea of reconciling 3e and 4e under a single umbrella sounds enticing.

I have to disagree with you. One Piece does more chaotic clusterfucks. In the palace invasion though, and I think this is what you're talking about with the story getting lost, pretty much every character feels like a distinct entity acting on their own motives and feelings that are different from everyone else involved, and not simply part of one side or the other.

My group is actually playing a shits and giggles 4e anime campaign. Considering a fighter has named powers like "Slash of Disruption" and "Enter the Crucible" it gets shonen real fast.
And the 4e Avenger class is literally Ichigo: Giant weapon, no armor, teleportation, etc.

I just mean the presentation is better.

Well, at least they get to be free range, none of that intense farming suffering...

Yeah, that's true.

bump

You are not wrong, you are not wrong at all.

It's just you.

>Fate
>A system

Strike! is an even better fit. Needs less work too, and has similar gameplay.

As usual you are all wrong, the best shonen system is clearly larp

That's called professional wrestling user.

agreed, Strike! is a better choice

... I'm pretty sure there are no unique monster concepts that exist in 3e that don't exist in 4e.

.... Unless you really want a NPC built like a PC that wants you to look up the spell book.

Specifically for One Piece at least, I did it with mutants and masterminds, and it worked quite well.

M&M is good if you want to stat out and approximately simulate every power you have in mind for your character.

Strike! is good if you just want to get into small group sized skirmish fights with.

Thinking about it, in shounen the fighters usually pair off instead of fighting side by side, so M&M could also have the advantage there. But in tabletop that kinda sucks.

Big Eyes Small Mouth is better. Simple and open-ended

What is BESM like? I've seen a good chunk of the books at Half Price Books and it's always piqued my interest.

It is a really easy to get a feel for and only really requires 2d6. It gives you lots of example skills and perks, but ultimately leaves it up to you.
I've played in a One Piece and a Naruto games using BESM, and I ran a Pokemon-based one back in the day.

How is pic related?

Which is superior between BESM and OVA?