Wouldn't orks be more interesting with more variety?

Wouldn't orks be more interesting with more variety?

Wouldn't there be industrialized orks with vehicles and armor that weren't made out of scavenged parts? With less of a Mad Max influence?

Can there be orks that work with alien auxiliaries like the tau? Orks aren't 100 percent genocidal are they?

Can orks have more of a motivation than to just fight? Maybe some orks see their role as the overlords of the galaxy and want to impose order ala the Beast. Maybe they see themselves as fighters and 'liberators' against un-orky influences like the Imperium, Necrons or Chaos?

Maybe orks see themselves as the protectors of the galaxy against the invading tyranids?

Maybe some even feel an urge to work with the Eldar due to their prehistoric Krork origins?

I feel like this kind of fluff would make the orks a more dynamic faction. These don't have to be complex thoughts, just simple identities and cultures certain orks could subscribe to.

Get the fuck outta here..

What the fuck is up with these Ork variety threads? They´re more interesting than the Tau and Tyranids combined.

Dat sounds roight un-Orky it does.

Howsabout you stops mucking about instead and go gets stuck in.

> Reminder that Pirate Orks are canon, as well as already having different factions like the Goffs, Gold Suns etc. and cross clan identities like Stormboyz and Kult of Speed.

You can admit you've never played the game before, you know.

>Industrialized Orks with vehicles and armor that weren't made out of scavenged parts? With less of a Mad Max influence.

There are Ork empires, and human factories are often pressed into making equipment for them when they conquer a world. Goffs are also supposed to be rather serious and dour. You could mix all these things together and make a rather organized Ork army that's not so ramshackle looking.

>Orks that work with alien auxillaries like the Tau? Orks aren't 100 percent genocidal are they?

Blood Axes will often work as mercenaries, usually for humans but likely for other races too. The Tau, however, don't consider them salvageable, so they'd be hard pressed to fight together. If you mean working with other alien species, sure - again, Blood Axes act as mercenaries.

Also, there have been a few cases in the lore where Orks have been raised among other species and act as soldiers of theirs. In that case, outcast humans, but other aliens might as well.

>Can Orks have more of a motivation than just to fight?

Yes. Ghazghkull is uniting Orks in the name of Gork and Mork. Some Warbosses will want a certain piece of loot; others will be building a powerful weapon. Usually they'll want a good scrap, but there are ways to work this in as a delightful bonus rather than a main goal.

>Protectors of the galaxy.

Nope. Orks barely have a sense of their own history, let alone the size of the galaxy.

>Maybe even feel some urge to work with the Eldar...

Not likely due to the reasons you're listing, but again, mercenaries.

There's already a bunch of simple identities and cultures orks subscribe to - they're just usually built in at birth rather than molded. What you're actually looking for, but not saying, is that you want moral compexity - you want Orks to as readily be able to be 'good guys' as much as 'bad guys.' But since they're such a solidly neutral faction, they can work with either side more or less easily, and adding in that sort of stuff is shit.

There's tons of variety the orks already have but I mean...

>standard ork army
>Freebooter army or conversion set
>Feral ork army

Make it so GeeDubs

Da Orks da best you git

I think I'm just trying to find a way to make them less of an 'NPC faction'. But you're probably right about the moral complexity thing.

They're only an NPC faction if you can't get into the right mindset.

They're only an NPC faction if you're not an Ork, silly. If they're you're faction, they're the main characters.

So you wouldn't change anything?
At least I think it would be cool to release 'Ork Empire' models with less scavenged appearances and different rules. Representing Charadon, Octarius etc.

I like orks as they are.

Its funny to think of them as exaggerations of humans, to the point Eldar get the two confused.

Well I mean, the whole fun of orks was conversions. At least it was for me. If you want those models, you could just try and do it yourself. (Granted I wouldn't know how since the idea of an organized and spiffy looking ork army is just disgusting imo.)

>more variety
We'z got tons o variety, ya git! Wez got Speed Freekz, Freebootaz, Flash Gitz, ded 'ard Warlords...

>Armor not made out of scavenged parts
That's just their aesthetic. Even the non-scavenged orkish shit looks like that.

>Alien auxiliaries
Ogryn mercenaries. Orks don't have "auxiliaries" they have themselves, folks 'ard enough to roll with them (ogryns), and idiots who pay them with guns. Orks also aren't genocidal like we understand it, it's all a big game to them. Minus a few exceptions.

>non-fighty orks
Oddboys, kinda. The orkish utopia is eternal war. "Order" is the period of building and readying for a WAAAGH, when the war machines are constructed and the boys get geared and fed. Many ork warlords also do tend to style themselves as "prophets" or "liberators"

>Protectors against the tyranids
In the sense that they make for good fightin', sure

>Krork origins
No ork alive remembers the War in Heaven. Orkish kultur has changed as much as human culture in all those millennia.

>Orks too simple
Orks are only a limited faction if you cannot see the possibility. Look at the tendency for Veeky Forums to hilariously shoehorn orks into EVERYTHING inside and outside 40k. They're instant comedy to anything you put them in, and yet can still be badass.

Think carefully, do you REALLY want GeeDubs to be in control of that?

Remember when they had Squig hairpieces and shouters?

I mean with the coolness of the new GSC army... yes.

Thanks, was floating some ideas and now realize a fair few are shit.

The scope for this exists, although it's unorkadox... sorry.

Blood Axes etc. can be paid by imperials to work for them. No reason they wouldn't help the Tau if the teeth are right.

>Orks
>No variety

>Some Warbosses will want a certain piece of loot
I like yer hat.

>Chaos Orks
>Fancy Orks
>Pirate Orks
>Orc Orks
>Short Orks
>Purple Orks

>Creepy Orks

>Sleepy Orks

How about:
A Blood-Axe Warboss got hired by a Planetary Gouverneur to fight cultists on a Factory World. The PDF was killed/corrupted but the Orks, Ogryn and Kroot mercenaries won shortly after the Planetary Government's fall.

They now control the Planet under Ork leadership.

more

given the scratch build potential of orks, you could say they have the most variety, just cobble together ANYTHING, as long as its the right size and resembles the vehicle you want

you could claim that some orks find round shapes "da best at bouncin da bullets" and that "enamel white are da shiniest and cost da most teef, so they iz the strongest" to jsutify a trukk that looks like an ipod

I ran 4k ork army that had a squad of Khorne berserkers as an aux unit, because I was short a few points. It was... oddly well received by the group.

>Can there be orks that work with alien auxiliaries like the tau? Orks aren't 100 percent genocidal are they?
I think Blood Axes did that.

>Can orks have more of a motivation than to just fight? Maybe some orks see their role as the overlords of the galaxy and want to impose order ala the Beast.
And I think that is mentioned Beast and Ghazkull.

In general if you want "serious Orks", go with Goffs. Having their armour painted black de-goofies them quite a bit. And Ghazkull was a Goff.

>>Freebooter army or conversion set
Pretty much every third party bits seller has at least one "Pirate Orcs" heads set. Spellcrow has other bodyparts too, including weapons.
Mix some heads and bodies from third party with regular Ork sets and suddenly you can use all the weapons from a given box.

Google Deff Skwadron. There's the whole thing somewhere online

Poeple do themed armies all the time.
Just do it bro. Customiz dem models ya git

No.

the motivation of Orks largely depends on their position of the Evolutional Ladder.

Primitive Ork tribes have little ambitions beyond fighting.

While Ork Freebooterz usually are more sophisticated about their goals.

like what for example?

get rich, build a bigger rig, get more gunz, loot another system.

Old fluff had Ogryns rise to the top of Ork society quite often as they've an edge on brawn and brutality.

>Ork Variety

You got da stabby shooty ones, da shooty stabby ones, da brutally kunnin' ones and da kunningly brutal ones.

What more fucking variety do you want, you little shit?

>Wouldn't orks be more interesting with more variety?
You got fast ones, teef ones, serious ones, choppy ones

>Can there be orks that work with alien auxiliaries like the tau? Orks aren't 100 percent genocidal are they?
Yeah they do sometimes work as mercenaries in exchange for weapons or vehicles or in certain cases a hat...

>Can orks have more of a motivation than to just fight? Maybe some orks see their role as the overlords of the galaxy and want to impose order ala the Beast. Maybe they see themselves as fighters and 'liberators' against un-orky influences like the Imperium, Necrons or Chaos?
Ghazkull is doing this right now, he believes orks should rule the galaxy and other races be nothing more than slaves

>Maybe orks see themselves as the protectors of the galaxy against the invading tyranids?
They think the bugs are fun to fight cause they constantly change, don't sit back shooting like tau, and are "ded choppy" theres even a quote where ghazzy captures old one eye and lets him go because he thinks hes a right proper fight

>Maybe some even feel an urge to work with the Eldar due to their prehistoric Krork origins?
Pansies

>theres even a quote where ghazzy captures old one eye and lets him go because he thinks hes a right proper fight

Its Yarrick he captured you git

UH BAWS! BAWS! DIS GIT IS SAYIN SUMFIN ROIT IMPROPAH AGAIN!

Yarrick is old and only has one eye.

What's your problem?

He isn't the tyranid Old One-Eye.

My problem is poor retelling and half fanon Ork lore.

Thats how we got the retarded idea that ork guns/vehicles/spacecraft don't need ammunition/fuel/atmosphere "because orks just imagine them and that works."

Not him.

Ghaz calls Yarrick "Old One Eye". I knew what that user referred by just the nickname.

So are you literally retarded?

To be fair I actually misread the quote! Assumed it was Nid old one eye! Feeling pretty unorky right now

Collect fancy hats. Bonus if it's an Inquisitors hat.

It was in the tyranid section.
He didnt even know he was referencing Yarrics nickname.

The biggest issue with Orks right now is the same issue that Chaos has: GW rules writers just don't know what to do with them.

Look at the Genestealer Cult rules. There's a very clear theme there: infiltrating horde force that can pop up anywhere on the board and get in your face before fading away. The rules are good and reflect that the person who wrote them genuinely was into the army.

Orks on the other hand are all over the place. GW can't seem to decide what it is they should really be as an army. They sort of go for a horde theme, but then they put in loads of units that can't be used as a horde, and are expensive to boot. Then they throw in tons of shooting stuff too, except most of it is subpar. They go halfway to making decent enough elite squads then just give up. What you end up with is a force that can't do anything effectively and just melts against any kind of opposition.

Orks need a coherent theme, like Tau, like Eldar, like Marines. Quantity has a quality all of its own is a great theme, and one that is missing right now in 40K (except GSK are poised to change that). But then write the rules to reflect that.

1.They are so fucking interesting already
2.If Orks capture a forge world and don't completely destroy it they use the factories there powered with captured Humies and Gits and the like
3.Fuck no for working with the Tau and of course not there are many diffrent Orks out there with their own causes purposes and ambitions hell theres religous orks theres mercanary orks theres pirate orks (yeah they're fucking canon suck it) there were rockstar orks there are peaceful orks (out there somewhere) etc.
4.Look above and some Orks respect the Imperium and work with them especially if they pay
5.Fuck no they know nothing about their history and think Eldar are bloody rubbish anyway
6.They are fucking perfect besides a retcon here and there so fuck off with your variety we ave pwenty ya git!

> Why cant things be diverse? Where are the female orks

Fuck off liberals. You aren't welcome in 40k

>Squig hairpieces
I swear that's still canon, taking a parasitic squig with long hair and sticking it onto their heads...

Stop projecting.

Is this bait?

No

Is bait.

Orks and moral complexity are 2 different things. However, if you allow ork leaders to stick around, they become more and more kunnin` and self aware, like Ghaz who became a prophet, or Da Beast who organised a fuck`uge empire. But again, they find a greater goal they want to achieve, not moral complexity. Leave those to tau, eldar and IG.

Orks would dominate the galaxy if somehow they'd become organised and more self-aware. However they choose not to do so and do the opposite : goof out, grab all the loot they can and beat each other for the right to have it. Thats exactly what makes them stand out from the grimderpfest that is 40k and #1 reason why ork players like orks.

No bonus for Inquisitors hat.

Orks couldn't give a shit who or what was wearing the hat, so long as they killed it and it's theirs. A skinny trench coat wearing human blends in with all the other chuckle fucks around him. Same as Commissars. Unless they kill a ton of orks before hand, no one cares.

>Spacemarines

They come in a variety of collectible colours, so yes, spacemarine helmets Are a bonus

>A coherent theme
>Tau = Gun army
>Eldar = Magic army
>Space Marines = The I can do anything because I'm a child army

Wow, great examples numb nuts. It's almost like the fact Orks can't just be pigeon holed into a 2 dimensional stereotype is a Good thing.

>But you can't min-max them because they have all kinds of different units, fighting styles, army compositions and flavour for different scenarios
>Like a balanced force would
>And that's Terrible.

There is solid grounds for the argument that Orks are the White Blood Cells of the galaxy. The fact that as far as human un-manned drones and deep space probes have gone, they always Always find Orks out there.

Hell you need only look at what's going on in the Octaris sector to see the a-typical white blood cell fighting off a foreign infection. Orks flooding into a system to remove the tyranid threat, almost unknowing that they are going to prevent the most damage in the long run.

>But orks destroy everything

And Tyranids consume everything, including the atmosphere from a planet. If Orks are white blood cells, Tyranids are The cancer

Could a human rise to the top of Ork society?

Yes and No

>Diggas from Gorkamorka are humans, and can beat/rule over orks

Yes but that's on a small scale

>Ork empire
>But with a human on top
>Ork Empire
>Human
>ORKS

there would Always be someone trying to kill you, trip you up, starve you or enslave you.

If you someone convinced them you were an ork, shit I don't know, paint yourself green, then it could work as a "Lanky Grot"

But even then, it would only take one Nob or runner up to make a claim for your title and you'd have it.

>tl;dr
You'd be dead before they'd take orders from you.

Or failing that, they'd all be dead before they'd take orders from you.

I honestly doubt it. You have to physically prove your dominance (kill a Warboss in 1v1 infront of his boyz), which is impossible for an average human. Even if you'd beat the warboss, you'd have to challenge all of his pissed off Nobs afterwards. And then a mob of boyz who think that having a "pink un as a boss is just not propa orky". However I can imagine Ogryn capable of such thing though. Maybe.

I'm fairly sure that you could rise above normal human slaves - but you'd still be a slave, even if you'd become an important figure, like mekboy helper or warboss advisor you'd still be a slave. Orks probably treat humans in the same way they treat grots.

>probably treat humans in the same way they treat grots

This. in spades.

I'd be really fucking sad if after all the Admech, Deathwatch and Genestealer cults we won't get a simple Feral Ork army

Theoretically yes... Orgryns can do it

But practically it would not possible, as if a grot could be a warboss.

The problem is not "racism" but more to do that orks are straight up stronger than humans on any measure. When fights for leadership are settled on beating the shit out of people it would be hard for a human with no augmented armour or advanced weapons to rise to the top.

What would be interesting is how far a dedicated space marine could go rather than a normal human...

Well that's a bit harsh, isn't it? Combine anything with tyranids and the sum will be negative.

Not to mention that most technology and weapons wouldnt even work for a human....

A normal human would have a very difficult time raising above slave to the boyz and would be even more difficult to becoming a nob.

At least someone among all you mouthbreathers knows his shit about orks. Worth nothing about auxiliaries is that there have been humans who've been able to embrace and survive da ork lyfe to the point of being able to fight with orks, but there're precious few who are orkish enough for that. Orks are very inflexible about what's acceptable orkish behavior or not, and even if you behave right you need to survive their constant bickering. And even if they can do both of those things they still aren't ever going to be many or strong enough to be a significant factor within a Waaagh.
Moral complexity is for chumps, it's more fun to play completely amoral characters who have to try to understand how far they can go without being turned upon, either by the more morally developed, or by those equally amoral and opportunistic.

Say, could for example a DEldar be accepted as a warboss' pet and adviser? Any DEldar would be more than amoral enough to be fine with orkish behavior, as well as strong and brutal enough to survive (not to mention kunnin'), while being able to stay within the boundaries of being a pet and adviser. Could be a fun thing to do perhaps, to personally manipulate a Waaagh! to do your bidding.

Not to mention that their society is based on ork tolerances.
So the food, drink, hobbies, training, medical services would be deadly to humans

It's a reference ya git.

It would be interesting if a human could actually become a painboy helper and eventually over take the painboy for requests because their treatment is less scary.

In older fluff it wasn't uncommon for a warboss to have a human kept as an advisor on various things. If they had the knowings of the tactics and the strategies then they would often end up very well treated indeed as his counsel brings victory, and sometimes a particularly cunning advisor would actually end up essentially ruling the warband through their easily manipulated warboss puppet.

I'm pretty sure they haven't been mentioned in a long, long time though.