Bitcoin futures is +$1000 on exchanges

Bitcoin futures is +$1000 on exchanges.
Is looking at the futures price like looking at the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

cryptocompare.com/coins/btc/markets/USD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes. Perform the following procedure to make money:

>enter a futures contract to sell one bitcoin @ $17,130
>buy one bitcoin @ $16,130

you've just made a $1,000 profit, risk free

Kek. Implying Mr Goldstein won't manipulate shit and liquidate anons account

Retard. explain how you think "Mr Goldstein" will maniputate and cause this to lose money. This is classic cash-and-carry-arbitrage. "Mr Goldstein" is literally performing this as we speak.

I dont know why I explain this shit to Veeky Forums if you're all this fucking retarded.

>He doesn't know what hedging is
>Calls me a retard
You are locked in to those contracts for a month newfag. Don't you think the futures price will magically tank when it's time to cash out. Like they always do and have always done in other industries. And for arbitrage, there are many hidden costs eating into the profit margin otherwise BTC and future price would be the same. Now go put a Sharpie in your butthurt butthole you pathetic normie

>Don't you think the futures price will magically tank when it's time to cash out.

if you dont know how futures contracts work you can just say so

isnt it kinda like bitcoin gold, bitcoin cash, etc?

>magically tank
That means he makes MORE money you moron; he reserved the obligation to sell at 17130.

Yeah it's a crypto called Bitcoin Futures, everybody who has BTC now gets the same amount of them.

Wait so, that means bitcoin futures will NOT tank price but rather artificially pump the shit out of bitcoin isn't that right? Under what conditions would the price of bitcoin tank as a theoretical result of adversarial actions to boost the profit of bitcoin futures opeartors?

just stop talking user, this is embarrassing.

Futures/forward prices are generally a bad indication of future spot price

You are one stupid motherfucker.

When you buy a futures contract, you lock in that price.

Go away and learn about futures before speaking

>there are people at walstreet roght buying contracts that say they will buy btc from you at 18k in 1 month
This means they think in 1 month btc will be worth more

b-bait?

This is all I wanted to know. Thanks

when you buy bitcoin on coinbase and it says it will arrive in x number of days, will you have bought it at the moment you pushed buy, or the moment you receive it?

the moment you buy

you're locked in until the coin arrives in your account

while we're at it, also do this:

>buy a LOT of bitcoin, send some to every exchange
>perform exchange arbitrage, buying btc at exchanges with low prices and simultaneously selling btc at exchanges with high prices

however, you're exposed to btc -- if the price tanks you've lost a lot of money (if btc goes up you've gained a lot of money, but the risk might not be acceptable). to lock in risk free profits:

>enter a futures contract to sell your bitcoin one month from now, reducing your bitcoin exposure to zero

with a futures contract, do you need to find a seller at the moment it matures, or is the buyer locked in the moment you buy the contract?

the buyer is locked when you buy the contract. (the buyer can sell his contract to someone else, but you're guaranteed that a buyer exists at the price the contract specifies)

True, but futures are great for hedging against price instability as they were originally intended; someone can lock in a great price by shorting/going long and make bank from instability. Since bitcoin is prone to wild price swings, it's perfect for futures.

so you couldn't buy a contract for any random price, someone has to be offering it, right?

Hold on.
I just figured.

I could pick the lowest prices from here:
cryptocompare.com/coins/btc/markets/USD

Wait until the price catches up.
Sell it for Litecoin and transfer back to my main exchange. Right?