EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Beater Support Edition

Previous Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-r-u-l-l-e-r/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kruphix-eldritch-god/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/he-comes/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/finagle/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rashmi-funs/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rrreeeeeaarrgllrr/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maelstrom-cool/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hell yeah. Honestly, I think my favorite part of enderek is how he turns normally me creatures into absolute value.

Best version of this In my opinion is devouring strossus. Normally would be pretty meh, but getting 9 tokens out of him as well, and having him as a sax outlet is really nice. Blood artist /zulaport cutthroat are even nicer with him. I find myself winning quite abit with pestilence. Fucking amazing card

gonna repost this WIP deck
>U/B Tassigur Control/politics

what would you add besides green? whats not good enough?

*normally meh creatures

And by the way, with cards like flesh bag maurader, can I stack my triggers to get the thrulls, and then sac a creature?

Add dredge cards

> add dredge cards

I do have stinkweed imp. I like the imp because DT is great in the early game to save you from a few swings. is running grave troll/darkblast really good enough to warant a slot even though they'll mostly be dead cards? I can't even cast gravetroll in this deck.

There's no trigger stacking necessary with the Marauder. You get the thrulls on cast, not as an etb thing.

yeah I think we've discussed Endrek before. iirc you went for stax while I went for lifedrain & draw pain.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-r-u-l-l-e-r/

i'm probably going to cut Abhorrent Overlord (too costly) and Deathgreeter (too low impact) in favor of more goodstuffy options, but other than that it feels very good to play. i tend to make tons of goofy mistakes in this game but for what it's worth, my decks typically function very smoothly

thrulls appear before fleshbag marauder enters the battlefield. then once fleshbag has resolved and entered, then the sac effect resolves. so you can sac a thrull instead of the fleshbag, but honestly it's still usually best to sac the fleshbag for reanimation purposes unless you really want the 3/1 body instead of a 1/1.

Thinking of including pic related in my Kruphix EDH. I run a few infinite mana combos and a ton of ramp. Think it's worth a try? Or is there a better repeatable draw engine on a stick (besides Staff of Domination)?

How does she look boys?

ebin/10

Seems playable if you have a lot of colorless producing rocks and such

Kukemssa pirates and Phyrexian infilitrator are both pretty bad

Like I get that you can steal a creature from somebody who doesn't likely have blue mana but it's extremely expensive for that effect, gilded drake is a 150x superior

kruphix keeps excess mana and turns it into colorless so its not really needed

Oh that's right I forgot it becomes colorless

Anyone have any unique pauper decklists to share? I am curious what uncommons you edgelords would pick. I know we are a bunch of hipster pieces of shit that use garbage commanders, so I imagine you'd all pick the weird creatures.

Post list. I'm building kruphix myself. I could use some inspiration.

Go bald guy tribal then! Make the deck more then "just a Endrek deck" and into a Bald themed deck. Win some major points in the theme bracket.

I had two, Gloryscale Viashino which was awful and Juniper Order Ranger, which was good.

Juniper Order Ranger had some persist shenanigans, but there aren't really any decent sac outlets in WG commons, so you can to run stuff like Caregiver, considered one of the worst cards by gatherer standards.

Is Kaseto just "fuck people up with snakes.dec"?

Google the Great Snake Mistake.

No, it can use a majority of snakes but it is best built as a Simic good stuffs deck all about controlling the board while ramping before either pumping Kaseto and voltroning with an unblockable creature or pumping a snake, sending him in and then giving him infect.

My play group found that he is actually the best of the Simic precon entirely because of his ability to make shit unblock able.

Didn't even know that was a thing. Sounds like a really cool idea. Just looking at my stuff I'm already getting ideas for Cliffhaven Vampire and Blaze Commando. Now to somehow get people at my LGS to try that format...

>theme decks

Why don't you see this card in more token decks? I mean, I know it's not saccing so it doesn't hit hexproof/shroud stuff but still

>much lower casting cost compared to stuff like sheoldred or butcher of malakir
>works like a fleshbag marauder except you can use the effect multiple times without recursion needed

is the fact that it only happens during upkeep the problem? i mean, if someone blows an instant removal on a creature like this, you'll probably end up winning that trade

so im building a a commander deck for the first time. how exactly do you decide what commander is gonna be good? i was thinking about building something around Omnath, Locus of Rage because ive never been able to put him in anything else

But are there actually any good snakes?

oops forgot to actually post the image, let's try again

Why don't you see this card in more token decks? I mean, I know it's not saccing so it doesn't hit hexproof/shroud stuff but still

>much lower casting cost compared to stuff like sheoldred or butcher of malakir
>works like a fleshbag marauder except you can use the effect multiple times without recursion needed

is the fact that it only happens during upkeep the problem? i mean, if someone blows an instant removal on a creature like this, you'll probably end up winning that trade

That looks like a grand old time.

>how exactly do you decide what commander is gonna be good?
Same way you settle on a fighting game character. On an entirely emotional level.

>how exactly do you decide what commander is gonna be good?

not sure what you mean by this. do you not understand why people pick certain commanders? the difference between a commander and a card in the 99 is that you will have easier access to your commander. that means you can put a lot of spicy tech that synergizes well with your commander, but won't be that useful otherwise

stuff like voltron decks as well as zada and feldon decks are typically very build-around

or you can just use your commander to compliment your 99 so that it works perfectly fine without it, but your commander just helps it

fore example, tons of black decks end up having their commanders very easily changed. just by changing your commander from say, endrek to sidisi turns your deck from a swarmy one to a more consistent one.

>Omnath, Locus of Rage

he's a good choice as far as i know

>very easily changed

i meant changeable

im so tired

For the same price, you can draw a card off each creature you sac to it. It's some kind of eldrazi. I forget the name. There are better ways of killing your opponents things if that's what you want to do. Also, I don't know about you but my meta is extremely hostile to creatures which has lead to most decks being very creature light. It's likely that fellow would be joining an empty board if you thought to cast him.

>do you not understand why people pick certain commanders?
no i dont, how do people do that?

I pick them based on how useful their effect is vs how much it warps the deck build around it. I will never build a deck that NEEDS it's general to function optimally.

Decide on a legendary creature where you think "Yeah, I'd like that in my opening hand at all times permanently".

that actually makes a lot of sense, thanks

Or...
Build a deck with a sick commander and build the other 99 around it. This is what I prefer.

Arcum Daggson - tinker commander
Narsett - holy fucking broken commander
Zur - combos anyone?

Make your deck strong enough and your commander should be the hub at the center of the wheel.

Largely depends on who does it.

I'm a huge timmy, so I don't go out to build decks then slot in a commander. I come across a cool commander and then I think "wow, I gotta build a deck around this one".

Naturally, most of my decks require my commander to win, though I'm getting a bit better in deckbuilding now that my next 2 (brion and Glissa) won't absolutely NEED the commander.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kruphix-eldritch-god/

It's pretty effective as is, but there's still a lot of stuff I want to try (Staff of Domination, Mana Reflection, etc), as well as adding more draw and cheap ramp.

We have, how's your build coming Along? Any surprise stars ? I have to say, I really thought smothering abomination was just a solid card, but only when I started playing did I realize how fucking amazing it is.

I want to run pic related, how fast will it fuck me?
I'm running blood artist/zulaport/ falkenreathe noble, gray merchant, etc. I really hope I don't get hosed immediately

So, I posted my Kozilek deck already last thread, but this time I just went ahead and made all the changes I was looking for instead of asking you guys to spoonfeed me. Let me know what you think:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/he-comes/

Am I missing any fun colorless tech?

I need a win condition in B/W that I can find with this. Archangel of Thune and Hero of Bladehold worked as rapidly more dangerous threats before, but obviously their toughness is too high. Best I can find is Mikaeus the Lunarch. Any help?

Secretly I want Imperial Recruiter to not be red so I can win with Tree of Perdition

Any token deck will wreak you for playing this. You need to combo out the minute you drop this or your probably dead by your next turn.

But if you play it and combo it out you could easily exsanguinate for 50+ and win.

Is that a problem son?

For the guy that decided a theme is more important than the ability to compete, you bet.

Depends on your deck. Just a few suggestions: Blood Artist/Zulaport Cutthroat, Karmic Guide, Serra Ascendant, Sutured Ghoul, Crusading Knight, Hell's Caretaker, Custodi Soulbinders, Hangarback Walker, Hokori Dust Drinker, Goldknight Commander

>Resolve a t4 Rakdos, the Defiler with Lightning Greaves backup thanks to suprise Mana Crypt while the blue players are tapped out
>UR player casts Dack's Duplicate and copies it
>No one has a board by turn 6
>Lose because Dethrone makes his Rakdos bigger than mine
That game was a riot

I'm ready for your hot, steamy opinions senpai.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/finagle/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rashmi-funs/

Brewing with Ramshi. Initially I wanted to do a bit ramp and go into goofy instants and sorceries. Like "Cast two instants or sorceries from the top 10 cards of opponent's library for no cost"

But now I brosed gather for some blue-green cards and they're basically just creatures. Still with some flicker and guys like this one, it might be pretty fun.

Seriously, I imagine Momir and Ramshi to be a broken pair once they're out.

We had a guy that ran a sliver deck at my lgs. He had to retire it due to water damage from his own tears.

I would add:
Time Warp
Fierce Empath
Memnarch

The Time Warp/Season's Past/Mystical Tutor combo is too sweet, and Fierce Empath searchs out too many important cards such as Deadeye, Palinchron, etc. Memnarch is just my personal favorite tutorable wincon with infinite mana.

thanks. any suggestions on what to put in?

Pretty much

No. But there are plenty of fun ones

Hey thanks man, thats solid advice.

No problem. Feel free to take a look at my list if you're looking for other ideas, although my list is somewhat more creature focused:

Thanks as well, was this guy Season's past with TIme Warp on top of the deck sounds fun as well, even if it's only an additional turn plus put cards on the bottom of my library.

Mana reflection seems redundant.

Any secret tech for Niv- Mizzle? I'm retooling my deck deck for this weekend and was hoping I didn't forget anything.

I don't think Curiosity and Ophidian Eye are a secret, but they're certainly the go to tech.

Also, Mind over Matter, of course.

Are you two using Conspiracy?

Freed from the real?
Um, teferis puzzlebox, arjun the shifting flame, wheel of fortune, jaces archivist, windfall, etc

Actually, no. What is the perk? I'm assuming it's to make your thrulls not thrulls?

Alright, I posted this late last thread but I'll see if new faces have any imput as well.

>Been a budget brewer for college.
>Out of college, have money and job.
>Want to take one of my budget decks and Tune the shit out of it.
>Looking for input and ideas on my options.

I dropped Omnath as I wasn't really feeling it looking over it again this morning.

Last thread saw a bunch of support for Rakdos but an user mentioned that Rakdos is mostly linear and Feldon has more opportunity going forward to explore other strategies and options.

Let me know what you guys think?

Yup, already got them. I'd post a list, but it'd take forever . The cards I'm picking up today so far are:

>chasm skulker
(Can't believe I don't have one yet)
>rhystic study
>staff of nin
>dig through time
>summary dismissal
>desolate lighthouse
>rewind

And maybe mercurial chemistry. Not sure about that one.

You got a Mystic Remora yet?

i would appreciate some ideas for low mana removal that can work well with this deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rrreeeeeaarrgllrr/

Doom blade, dismember, snuff out, beast within, song of dryads/lignify, tragic slip

Opinions on this dude?

Fun.

Oh snap, that's spicy. How did I not know about this card?

I'll throw you some ideas,

Rakdos sounds like a fun gimmick but for tuning almost any of those other decks would do better in the long run.

Once you get past the $200 amount BR really struggles to bring anything to the table. Rakdos is also super weak to limited removal.

If you entire goal is to plant Rakdos turn 4 and ANY other player has an idea what you are aiming for all it takes is a counter or a kill spell to shut you down for 2 more turns while they get even more resources to fuck you over.

Rakdos works best in low budget environments. The other three are far more viable in higher price ranges.

Talrand, all tooled up is pretty hype, you already are going the right direction of focusing on controlling the game into a mid game aggro strategy and you seem to know the deck pretty well.

If you want to be very competitive Yisan is REALLY good. But like you said, its very linear. The nice part is that, as Wizard's continues to move in the "make green best" direction you have a better chance of new sets adding value to this.

Feldon has a lot of room for mobility, I've seen a stax deck, a combo deck, and even a Kiki Jiki style infinite deck. You have the most variety there.

Personally I would choose Talrand, because I like control and politics a lot. Yissan doesn't give a shit about the rest of the table and Feldon is just a durdle-till-you-combo-out deck. Talrand is more social in my experience.

I have a guy with a tuned Talrand and its pretty fun to game with. Once you abandon the "cantrip, tutor, cantrip" mentality Talrand is pretty interesting.

He's solid. If you want a merfolk tribal I think he'se the best there is. A friend of mine had a deck with him as the commander and the he took it apart. Not because it wasnt good, but because he realized he didnt like the color combination.

I have never had a fun monoblue deck. They all ended up being those annoying mama rock heavy, controlly deck that somehow always have a counterspell and card draw.

I guess I just really don't like the board state of Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, lands and a full grip.

I'm not OP, but I tried lists for Chisei, Tromokratis, Talrand, Memnarch, all of which ended up being not very fun to pilot or play against despite not being very good.

Protection from a color of your choice is one of those "always nice" things

Fuck i hate posting with my phone

Looks like someone hasn't played the best U deck.

Psychosis Crawler seems like a good addition.

Just go with Rakdos, it's the already the only deck you can truly call your own.

I'd say it deserves to get pimped.

Yisan, he is a solid deck that can easily be tuned to your liking.

If not then Feldon, as long as Magic continues to shit out red beaters and good artifact creatures he will always be relevant.

Rakdos is in a weak color choice. You wont have fun with him like you think you will once you realize that there isn't much room to expand with him.

Bad, he forces you to leave too much mana up to be effective

The best way to play merfolk in edh

One nice thing about a vehicles is Macar EDH finally got more decent colorless tap outlets.

Do you have to say "I put Macar in m'car"? I'm happy you finally have some decent ways to tap him

Of course you have to say that.

Or the classic: Dude, where's Macar?

Whenever macar would tap (non combat), a friend of mine would giggle and say "slideeeee it to the right! "

Then he'd say, pretty loud, " AAYYYYYYYYY MACAR-ENA!!"

Nobody had the heart to tell him

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maelstrom-cool/

Been tuning this for a while think I'm pretty happy with it now apart from getting duals for it, just looking for opinions and if there's any cards I've missed / not put in but should have.
Our playgroup is semi competitive but there's no extremely fast kills, dedicated combo decks or stax.

How's pic related as commander? I'm browsing some decks with her but it seems like everything depends on her being alive and using her ability almost every turn

I'm thinking of building a new EDH deck, deciding between her and Daxos the returned

Given how open-ended that ability is, you can build her literally any way you want, but the most common is just "suspend pic related, suspend enormous monster, win when they resolve"

Less common is getting rid of the board clear part and suspending fuckhuge dragons, krakens, etc.

She's insanely good, but tends to get focused and hatefucked off the board. Play with board wipes, eldrazi, or other fun stuff.

She's meh.

While you can do some pretty fancy things, your game plan is pretty linear and people who have played against that kind of deck before will have answers for you. Your entire strategy can be fucked by a few low-key eldrazi getting swapped in, which will happen if you shit on a table with a properly built Jhoria.

The real question is, do you want to play giant creatures for free, do you want to combo into wins, or do you want to smash the table with mass land destruction?

In my opinion there are better commanders for all of the above, even if you're insistent on playing Izzet for whatever reason.

>our playgroup is cool
>no stax

You can only choose one

Who's better at cheating in huge fatties in izzet?

Holy fuck, I'm a retard. I completely misread your post. Sorry, that's what I get for staying up all night.

I've been meaning and wanting to build stax but the group is very adamantly against it unfortunately.

pls help me deck

What kind of stax do they hate? Stasis? Oppressive creature based sacrifice? MLD? What colors do you want to run?

orbs, tanglewire etc

Well, in terms of commanders, no one.

But, in terms of general strategy, I prefer Nin and Jori En. Even Arjun can be good if you build a half-decent ramp deck, which is surprisingly viable. If you cycle and draw cards quickly, you'll be able to ramp really hard, and while it may not be as fast as a t4 Jhoria suspend, you don't need to wait 4 turns to drop your bombs on the battlefield. With a properly built deck you can accelerate your curve and use the draw utility from you commander to facilitate your ramp. Jori En is more suitable cantrips setup, Nin is AMAZING if you can get cheap indestructible creatures, and Arjun, while more naturally suited to spellslinger, can let you cycle for your bombs very quickly. I would recommend a colourless/artifact subtheme with any of the above, because R and U have very good utility to cycle artifacts, and in general it's easier to ramp into colourless things.

But, really, if you want to play Izzet fatties, just build Maelstrom Wanderer and splash green. The deck could still be functionally izzet, but with access to green ramp, which is generally a better bet.

Go for degenerate oloro superfriends feat static orb, winter orb, stasis, forbid, arcane lab, rule of law, eidolodon of rhetoric, propaganda, kroshun falls, ghostly prison, Meekstone, rising waters, pendrel mists, maze of ith, ice flow, etc.

Want more?

oloro is everything they hate.
Looking for help with tuning maelstrom wanderer mainly atm, just been looking into stax a little bit.
Thanks anyway.