/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

Last dungeon >> 49535264
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

How do we fix clerics, they're so fucking boring.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/hobbyte/dungeon-builder-an-isometric-map-maker-for-role-pl/description
dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
mega.nz/#!QJoynSJB!Xy9dedekAzdgxdhr6BtSK2esUsglhdWVchujdwEjqi8
mega.nz/#!hZxBzSAL!PQbQTBICkVkfjEdwAUUKuegd-016s1kiTPmqYeK3jZ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Has anyone played Adventure in Middle Earth

Try plaing a different build, maybe arcane cleric or war cleric.

Being a Healing Cleric sucks (At least for me, is so boring), try using your spells or actions to prevent damage, instead of healing it.

Prevent damage:
- Killing a really dangerous opponent
- Moving from harm a friend
- Protection spells
- Debuff Spells on enemies
- Staggering an enemie
- Buffing Friend for THP, AC, AB, AD, etc.

Helping the encounter end faster.

For roleplaying, try to look diferent kinds of clerics, some that come to mind:

- Thoros of Myr, (Red Priest) of Games of Thrones
- Warrior Priest of Sigmar, from Warhammer
- Couple of Clerics that appear in Elminister book (I remember them for being treasure hunters)

I know they are way more and better examples, but I still haven't finish my coffee, and probably will need more.

Nope, but I will like to try it, seems really easy to adapt into the "new" rules, the problem here will be de quality of the DM (is LOTR).

>How do we fix clerics
We remove Bards and Druids from the game.

Why is he holding an Air Freshener?

because the dwarf fighter doesn't believe in baths

I like several large chunks of it, but we already own The One Ring for tolkien play. I'm tempted to rip bits from it, figure out a Hedge Magic system (maybe modified wild magic + cantrips?), add in firearms, and use it to run a game in a sort of Warhammer meets Westeros setting.

See, I've played three different clerics so far, and the least heal-bot I found was.. The life cleric.

Having that many boosts to your healing spells meant you didn't have to cast them as much. I was dropping bonus action healing words for 1d4+6 damage comfortably while healing a few HP myself, and keeping my higher level spells for myself. I rarely had to use an action out of my turn to play the heal-bot and could keep up smashing and sacred-flame casting with the occasional use of my Channel Divinity to heal everyone up a little bit.

Veeky Forums, help my balance a Poison-varient SCAG melee cantrip. A few players in my group have pointed out they love GFB and BB, but only having them two sucks, they would love some more variety.

Over two groups I've got a few players who are interested in a poison-variant one but I have no idea how to balance it. Ideally it would be stronger than the others but require a hit, then a con-save to resist the poison damage. But the common resistance and immunity to poison inclines me to make it stronger, but I don't want to make it too powerful otherwise it will greatly outshine early.

If it was to the note of make a melee attack, if it hits, con save or take XdX+Mod poison damage, what kind of damage thresholds would be appropriate and effective?

Posted this in the last thread right before it archived. Someone just linked this to me. I don't know much about map software. Is this good? Should I kickstart it or wait and see?
>kickstarter.com/projects/hobbyte/dungeon-builder-an-isometric-map-maker-for-role-pl/description

How can a mad bomber goblin jusify joining a group of adventurers? My last character died and Ive had this goblin character in mind for a while.

Sup /5eg/

In my friend's campaign I'm playing as a Barbarian for the first time. Usually I play as casters, and it's been great to be a straight up brute. At 3rd level I chose Berzerker however I'm confused at when I can choose to frenzy.

>FRENZY - Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. lf you do so for the duration of your rage you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action on each of your turns after this one. When your rage ends. you suffer one level of exhaustion (as described in appendix A).

Can I go into frenzy anytime during the duration of my rage, or do I choose to frenzy at the beginning of my rage. The GM and I thought it was the latter until I tried it in a long encounter to see how it how works.

>Rage at beginning of encounter, it becomes drawn out and we might die.

>Oh shit time to frenzy! Use bonus action to end rage.
> Next turn, use bonus action to rage with frenzy.
>Next turn start attacking with bonus action.

It took 3 turns to use frenzy in that situation. Is that how it's supposed to work? Because it seems like frenzy is supposed to be a kill-em-faster button, especially in emergency. It's why I think I misunderstood it, and the GM thinks if that's how frenzy is supposed to work, then we'll reinterpret to work as the former.

Clarification would be great, thanks.

Go where the party is, have a blast.

Also, does the Catapult spell work well with Bottles of acid/alchemist fire?

You should have it be for piercing and slashing weapons only, then it's d4 damage and the poisoned condition.

It's meant to be "When you rage, pick a regular rage, or frenzied rage."

Also watch out, Berzerker is infamous for literally being so bad you can physically kill yourself at level 14 due to exhaustion by saying "I rage, I end my rage, I rage, I end my rage." Because after you frenzy 6 times, you insta-die.

Poisoned condition is pretty brutal, plus how would it scale just d4 damage extra?

What makes you think they are boring? To me they seem like the most versatile class in 5e, since they have 9 different archetypes. Plus backgrounds to also make them even more unique.

I will admit though I personally love the classic "do good healbot" cleric.

A caster can kill himself a lot earlier by including himself in area spells. Not all classes have to be idiotproof.

There is a difference mate.

Fireball doesn't automatically hit you with the 8d6 damage every time without fail.

Thanks man.

The exhaustion death doesn't bother me because it means I can choose to die dramatically and move on to another character whenever I want lol.

>Die dramatically
>After three uses you're pretty much pitiful.
>After four uses, you're a gurgling manbaby who can barely act.
>After five uses, you're literally helpless on the floor unable to move and do anything but wiggle your arms a little and scream.
Dramatic.

With the weapon-attack-boosting cantrips, the level 1-4 version should be almost as weak as a normal melee weapon attack. Notice how GFB only does a little extra damage to a secondary target at that level and BB only does extra damage if the target moves.

This is just a personal preference, but a cantrip that requires two different rolls (an attack roll plus a saving throw) is a little too clunky and will slow down combat if any character is using it.

Here's how I'd scale it: at levels 1-4, it's just an action you can take that powers up a melee weapon your holding so that the next attack within the next minute or so does an extra die of poison damage. I does not include a weapon attack as part of the spell until level 5. At levels 9, 13, and 17, the poison damage increases by one die.

Pic related

And frenzying doesn't kill you unless you intentionally frenzy six times in a row without resting. You can rage without frenzying, and if you've taken a couple levels of exhaustion that's what you will do. Unless an idiot. But if you're an idiot you probably shouldn't be trusted with a weapon in the first place.

Just give something strong, if the Sorcerer wants to close to Melee for it, let him and reward him for it. Poison damage sucks and adding a con-save is a huge nerf to the spell so feel free to make it hit like a truck, the only risk is if Eldrich Knight/Arcane Tricksters pick it up, but hey they suck anyway and EK will be making it in place of Extra Attack.

On-Hit, Consave 1d6+Mod damage, then at 5th 11th and 17th add 2d6 to the damage.

Yes it will hit hard, dealing 7d6+Mod Poison-damage as a cantrip, but it requires two chances to fail and Poison-damage is worthless against most foes by level 5 anyway. Hell, might make Bladelocks worth using.

>can you niche that any further user?

is that UA and SCAG and stuff "official"?

UA is official beta test.
SCAG is a real source book.

New thread, new bump.

Does anyone have a pdf of the Planar Bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469

I gotta say, though, I know that Adventures in Middle-Earth is basically The One Ring adapted to 5E's framework, but I feel like, somehow, I can appreciate how well Adventures in Middle-Earth captures the spirit of Tolkien's works a bit more since its in a system I'm more familiar with.

I want to buy it, blur all the texts and stat-blocks. Draw googly eyes all over it, and then upload it just for you.

That'd be a nice start.

It has nothing to do with you appreciating it more and everything to do with you not being comfortable with learning a new systems or not wanting to put that much effort into what amounts to idle entertainment.

Not saying that's a bad thing or anything, by the way; I understand not wanting to learn a new system if you'll think there's no payoff in the entertainment area.

Jesus christ.

You can go into a frenzy.... WHEN YOU RAGE. That's when you RAGE, not while you are raging.

>It's meant to be "When you rage, pick a regular rage, or frenzied rage."

^ This

> should I participate in a gibs-me-dat internet scam where at any time the hipsters in charge can decide they are feeling too angsty to finish the project and run off with my money and spend it on 7 dollar coffee and beanie hats

What do you fucking think?

> Using stuff from ((((DM's Guild)))))

Remember when you could actually homebrew stuff without giving Wizards a ton of shekels? Those were nice days. None of it was official but who cares? The monsters and fluff you could use without worrying whether it was broken because monsters were broken anyway.

Now you have to pay 9 bucks a month just to homebrew for "the world's greatest roleplaying game." They sure do think highly of themselves.....

Why don't you just play MERP or TOR instead of trying to fit a game system that doesn't mesh AT ALL with the setting. I swear to god, everything has to be a 5e hack or a Dungeon World hack these days. There are plenty of great games that fit the setting you want. It just means you won't be getting ripped off on overpriced books, and will probably have to use a PDF instead.

>3rd party supplements are new
Please. Don't act surprised.

Yeah but now you can't publish 3rd party shekels unless you join the DM's Guild (TM) for 9.99 shekels a month.

Raping the OGL just because it was associated with a lot of shitty 3.5 content, is fucking stupid. There will always be shitty content. Merals strategy is to throw the whole thing in the trash. Probably because he knows most of the 3rd party content creators make better shit than he does.

>"shekels"
Go back to /pol/, dude.

Viper strike
Conjuration cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic component (a melee weapon attack)
Range 5ft

You summon a spectral viper that follows your attacks to aid it with its poisonous fangs.

As part of the action used to cast this spell you make a melee weapon attack that deals it's normal effect and on a hit you deal an additional *casting stat* poison damage.
This spell scales as your character levels.
At lvl 5 you deal an additional 1d10 poison damage (since it is commonly resisted like fire I'm going with the same number) , 2d10 at lvl 10, 3d10 at lvl 15 and 4d10 at lvl 20.
In addition if you land two consecutive strikes on a target it gains the poisoned status taking your *casting stat*mod poison damage per round and has to make a Con save each round after that against 8+your prof. modifier to end the condition.

Give me a compelling reason why I shouldn't do the equivalent falling damage to a target that I drag at high speed into a wall.

I have been pretty woefully unimpressed with shit from the DMs Guild. Like some of the recommend introductory adventures, I went and bought them, and they are pure trash.

>unironically using the Jewish parenthetical things

We've got a virtposter on our hands.

Because the DM didn't allow it.

>Why don't you just play MERP or TOR instead of trying to fit a game system that doesn't mesh AT ALL with the setting.

I do, actually.
I spoke here and suggested if he want to do that then he should probably stop pretending it has anything to do with the system and everything to do with his own willingness to learn or try new things.

If he wants to do it that way, fine, but associating some sort of semi-magical "appreciation" simply because of a system and not admitting the real reasons is just silly and in some cases very unwise as it taints your thinking towards said system.

You know Israel uses the sheqel?

But user, what if I told you I am the DM.

I'll teach you fucks to try funneling enemies into a one tile wide tunnel.

Which ones?

If you are the DM making this a rule, all the power to ya. Though you may want to make solid and reasonable mechanics for this, cause otherwise your players will abuse this new rule or heavily complain about it?

Personally, I would say this would only work if you moved/dashed in a straight line at the wall with the person in tow a certain distance. Say maybe after 30 - 35 feet moved, every 10 feet past that adds 1D6 of damage, with the initial 30 - 35 feet doing 1D6.

Also, are you punishing players for using terain and map layout to their advantage? Or is there a bigger picture to this?

Anyone know a decent canon source for Treant lore? Its surprisingly hard to find

As someone who bought a few of the unofficial 5e books published under the 'wink-wink nudge-nudge' license, I can safely say it's at least not worse.

Because the speed at which you can carry another person across a room is not anywhere near the speed they would reach after gravity accelerated them the same distance. You probably can't even run that fast when not carrying another person.

There is so much junk out there. Adventures usually offer something salvageable. Class stuff and race stuff is a pile of crap with very little cream that rises to the top.

I started editing the file names so I can see at a glance if it's good or not.

That being said, there are a couple really good ones.

There's the Tolkien one. D&D treants are just ents with the serial numbers filed off anyway, so it makes sense to do the same with their origin story: a nature deity is worried that plants cannot defend themselves against animals that can move, so she creates her own race of protectors to give the trees a fighting chance.

Then share your wisdom. What DM'sG adventures are good?

I just run a silly 5e campaign for my group when the other DMs don't have anything prepared.

Anything at least somewhat logically consistent is allowed, which leads to sessions ending up being 45 minute long discussions on ways to kill the CR1 goblin using the ground hardness hit point rules and a rope.

>This level of pure, unadulterated autism.

The Triboar trilogy ones come heavily recommended, but I found them a real let-down. I also looked at another recommended one The Witch of Underwillow, but again it was nothing inspired.

It's harder to review adventures without running them and that takes time. The ones I did like are some of the ones that are already doing well. (Part of the reason I checked them out was because they did well).

Battle for Undercity
Wizard In a Bottle wasn't bad.
Quests of Doom are great (though those might be on drive thru.
Crystaline Caves of Black Leaf Forest Looked good.
Golden Bones of Lightwatch didn't look bad.
Triboar trilogy looked good.

Oh you got me. Here I am with a semi organized folder with simple notes to understand. If only I had someone to tell me how to spend my time at the office when I don't have clients. Can you make up a schedule for me?

what do you think of eldritch knights, /5eg/?

Lightning Lure, War Magic and Action Surge.
Meatshots for delivery.

Conceptually interesting, mechanically underwhelming.

Arcana Cleric is great fun.

more like elBITCH knights

Which classes would make a good inquisitor? I am talking about spanish/church inquisitor.
Rogue? Paladin? Cleric?

Oh, god, do it...

>In addition if you land two consecutive strikes on a target it gains the poisoned status taking your *casting stat*mod poison damage per round and has to make a Con save each round after that against 8+your prof. modifier to end the condition.

Drop this. The rest is fine.

Is there a Rogue-specific character sheet like there are for some of the other classes?

Those look nice.

At my table this is called using the wall as an improvised weapon. 1d4+STR

Do you think making a villain a gestalt character is enough for them to be a considerable danger to a party of three in combat?

Nah man, the improvised weapon is the guy and the wall is the target. Consult the structural durability table to determine how much damage your weapon takes before defeating the wall.

Nobody does, and nobody would share it with you anyways.

>Lightning Lure
but user, that's a sorcerer spell
eldritch knights use wizard spells

Any of you guys played Shackled City from 3.5? I'm curious what it's about, to see if its something I'd ever convert to 5e...

>Sorcerer, Warlock and Wizard spells
I'd ask you what part you don't understand, but it's not hard to figure that out.

Poisoned condition until the start of the caster's next turn. It takes 2 rolls to connect, an attack roll and a save. The damage is small cause the poisoned condition is why you take the cantrip.

This is a great debuff that needs to be applied every turn. And keeping it as "ends at the start of your turn" means you can't have the enemy constantly poisoned.

I could see this as an interesting grappling build but I hate those builds. If you just wanted another damaging cantrip then just make it d8 cause poison spray does the exact same thing, but if you want it to be unique then try that.

I see the parallels to GFB, but to gave the mechanics match the flavor I might have this as a concentration, 1 min, bonus action to summon the little viper guy, he adds 1d10 poison to weapon damage. It scales like a normal cantrip (lvl 5 is 2d10 etc). Stacks with any poison applied to the weapon.

Are they still not in the MEGA? It was brought up a few months back and I found the complete pack.
mega.nz/#!QJoynSJB!Xy9dedekAzdgxdhr6BtSK2esUsglhdWVchujdwEjqi8
This should be it.

Here's the rogue one alone as well.

The ones in here are, I believe. But there's not one for Rogue classes in there.

is this some kind of le epicaroni rules don't matter post or am i missing something here

You can choose to enter in a rage or a frenzy
When you are already in rage, you can enter in frenzy during your turn for free and use your bonus attack

Anybody have guesses as to what firbolg stats will be like?

The fastest possible character is 1680 feet per six seconds. Or 85 meters a second. Which exceeds terminal velocity of a human in typical falling positions.

A 20 str character can carry 300 pounds without slowing down.

mega.nz/#!hZxBzSAL!PQbQTBICkVkfjEdwAUUKuegd-016s1kiTPmqYeK3jZ4
Right, I think I just posted the link I found last time. This should be correct though.

All of the SCAG cantrips are on sorcerer, warlock, and wizard spell lists.

I said "probably," because if you're not specifically building a character with a broken land speed, your speed is going to be somewhere from 25-60 ft. But if you want to try to trick your DM into selectively applying game rules and real-world physics in a combination that makes you a one-man peasant railgun, feel free to try.

So in my latest campaign I've stolen the obligation system from Edge of the Empire and it's really made the story more interesting so far.

For those who haven't played EotE, every PC has an obligation score that is added together into a percentile pool and represents that character's backstory or debts, and you roll a percentile at the end of a session to see who's, if any, story comes into play in the next session.

Pretty good way of giving a 'this is my session' feeling to weekly campaigns.

Yeah. Kinda overdid that.
Non-AOE Cantrips shouldn't need saves and such secondary effects.

Now however I want to make more SCAG-like cantrips to fill the other elemental themes.

Frost woolfs bite:
Conjuration cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic (melee weapon attack)
Range 5ft

Same as viper strike (conjures spectral animal that strikes along with your melee weapon attack), Wis mod frost damage, at lvl 5 an additional 1d8 frost damage (2d8 at lvl 10, 3d8 at lvl 15 and 4d8 at lvl 20) and on hit slows target by 5 ft for one round.

Leaping lightning:
Evocation cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic (melee weapon attack)
5ft range

>Hit primary target
>It takes normal melee weapon attack damage+*casting stat*mod lighting damage and a secondary target within 5 ft of the primary target takes 1d6 lightning damage.

>Scales with character level.
At lvl 5 both targets take an additional 1d6 lightning damage which increases by 1d6 at lvl 10,lvl15 and lvl20.

Star strike
Evocation cantrip
Somatic(melee weapon attack)
Instantaneous
Range 5ft

>normal melee weapon attack+*casting stat* mod radiant damage
>At lvl 5 every target within a 5ft radius of the primary target that isn't behind full cover takes *casting stat*mod radiant damage and primary target damage recieved increases by 1d8 radiant damage (scale to 2d8 at lvl 10, 3d8 at lvl 15, 4d8 at lvl 20).

Flood water rush:
Conjuration cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic(melee weapon attack and moving at least 5ft)
Range - up to half of your movement speed

Conjuring a wave of water you move up to half of your movement speed to execute a melee weapon attack.
On hit target takes an additional 1d8 bludgeon damage per 5ft of movement spent.
After lvl 5 you deal an additional*casting stat*mod bludgeon damage on hit.

I'm mulling around an idea for my seafaring party.

Considering them coming across a fantastical yacht with a 24/7 party going on, hosted by a rich Marid. If the players join, then while partying at some point they're going back to the Plane of Water. I'm simply looking for ideas

> for the style of yacht (what it's made of, what it looks like, etc)
> Why they get sucked to the Plane of Water
> Who is partying (No rules! It's a pleasure cruise type thing, so old qualms between natural enemies need not apply).
> Plot hook ideas for stuff to do on the Plane of Water.

So I'm making 4 halloween dungeons for a quick campaign. Each one has a main boss and a miniboss that's off the beaten path that gives the party a powerful magical item.

The dungeons are a necromancer's crypt, a vampire castle, a witch's swamp, and a werewolf's cave. What would be some good minibosses to hide in these dungeons? And what would be some good items to hide here and there.

This sounds interesting.....could you explain a little more about it? I'm not quite sure I get how you tally up their score / add or detract from it and how you determine each one.

It has a tendency to produce results that make no sense and therefore end up getting ignored. If a session begins while you're crawling through a dungeon deep in the wilderness (or in the middle of fighting your way through an enemy space station or whatever,) what is the GM to do with the fact that you owe a debt back home? It only works in extremely episodic campaigns where no party action takes longer to complete than a single game session.

Just finished my first lunchtime session with some high schoolers in my little brother's dnd club.
>get stopped by security and brought to the front office wasting at least ten of my 35 minutes
>get back to the classroom where the club is held, half the members aren't here today so I've only got three kids
>give them the briefest overview of the setting, capitol city grew a volcano which erupted and buried the city, they're in a refugee city some years later
>druid playing girl says "what they built the city around a volcano they thought was dormant?" "Nope, it suddenly grew there" "ah, magic volcano" you got it, druid girl
>shady dudes approach each member individually (I asked if they thought any of them would be buddies beforehand, they said no) and knows their names, offering them jobs to go to the buried city and bring back treasure
>ask one kid his character name, he tells me straight faced "god dragon rider"
>probably a little mentally challenged
>say I'll call him rider for short
>druid is the last one, say she gets the same spiel, she says she'll go without me having to play out the entire interaction to save time. You go, druid girl
>they meet at a place to get the job deets, the kids are doing insight checks to see if these guys are legit, they're using background features to see if they know paths to the buried city, all kinds of shit
All in all, went pretty good.

What are D&D Adventures? I visited my FLGS this past weekend and they mentioned that they host Adventures on Sunday afternoons if I wanted to join. I asked what it was but I didn't get a clear answer other than its for people who are new to D&D.

It sounds like they're referring to Adventurer's League, the official organized play network. It means regular pick-up games of D&D with standardized, pre-made adventures that have nothing to do with the player characters in particular. It's mostly for people who like the idea that their character is somehow "official" and can be taken to conventions to play with strangers, or for people who can't get into a normal play group.

At character creation in EotE you can choose to take on extra obligation for various bonuses (exp, credits, gear).

During the campaign you can lower your obligation by doing things that resolve it, such as paying off your debt to a mobster, killing the target of your revenge, etc. You can also take on more in exchange for benefits such as getting a loan or owing someone a favor.

If you let your obligation get to high by taking on too much extra baggage or ignoring your obligations you get stressed out and can't spend your exp until you lower it.

You don't have to treat it along the lines of 'a bounty hunter comes after the party in the depths of the catacombs', but perhaps as something along the lines of having the player run into a situation reminiscent of their past, or even just treat it as an implicit opportunity for the player to expound upon their story more than would normally be acceptable in a party focused game

There's a bit much stuff that at lower levels does extra damage.
>below level 5 cantrips deal more damage than regular attacks, whereas booming blade / green flame blade only CONDITIONALLY deal more damage
>at level 5 and beyond they don't make booming blade / green flame blade quite as redundant, but they still do more non-conditional damage to the primary target,

Megaman it and make the minibosses drop gear that helps kill the bosses of the other dungeons.

As for magical item ideas, I always recommend that people check out the Dungeons and Dragons Online wiki. That game had a ton of interesting magic items. Definitely requires a bit of tuning to not break 5e though.

What are the best elven tree-cities I could steal? Any ideas?