Excuse me Lord Vador, why have we used decades of labor to develop and build the Death Star?

Excuse me Lord Vador, why have we used decades of labor to develop and build the Death Star?

Our Emporer can ravage planets with force storms and our fleet can leave worlds uninhabitable. We can already virtually destroy planets.

Also wouldn't destroying our own worlds be an economic disaster and breed discontent?

And this is why retconning expanded universe was a good idea.

Because KOTOR came long, long after the original trilogy.

Are you familiar with the Hutt superlaser? He tried to skimp on quality labor.

I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING

One:
>Emporer
Two:
>ravage planets with force storms and our fleet can leave worlds uninhabitable. We can already virtually destroy planets.
Fucking no.

This. Some good character and stories won't excuse a giant clusterfuck of shitty writing and autism that is extended universe. It had to be burnt down.

Just salvage KOTOR and KOTOR2, and whatever the hell Thrawn was from (I'm not an expert). Maybe some of those Mos Eisley stories.

But yeah, everything else can burn in hell.

A ton of it is still included thanks to the cartoons. Like Thrawn. The character exists but all the things that made you like them dont. You have a lot of characters coasting on their legends feats who are just there for nostalgia. What's the point of starting from scratch when you bring everything back but worse?

>Thrawn

Fuck no. "Fear my BA in Art History, peasants!"

>kotor
meh, decent enough.
>kotor 2
>aka "Fucking nothing: Sith Gary Stu edition"

>implying all of star wars beyond films isn't concentrated cancer, made to force the authors' shitty self-insert characters.
Both extended universes were a mistake. That's what happens, when the lore is writen by a shit ton of different authors, unwilling to work with each other, and trying to overwrite each other. Same shit is happening with Horus Heresy.

With the shear volume eu did hit gold a couple of times.

Listen, I'll ABSOLUTELY admit the Sith in kotor2 were OP as fuck. But I just. Don't. Care. They were SO badass, and they filled out their respective themes perfectly.

Anyone have any good tips for someone who is still getting used to GMing EotE campaigns. How many times does it usually take on average for a player to die from crit rolls? I want to do a lot of damage to players for being cocky but I'm worried about overdoing it.

How did you get to such a high rank without having a firm grasp on intimidation.

Bombarding a planet may make a point, but utterly obliterating a rebelling world in such a way that there is literally no way they could ever recover is a much stronger one.

Plus, the Emperor has a small penis and this is how he likes to compensate.

Just look how tiny it is

Why did they need the Deathstar in the first place?
Just send a couple dozen of (Super)Star Destroyers to Yavin 4 and nuke the shit rebels from orbit. Kinda hard to defend against that when there isn't a priority target with a giant weakspot.

I remember like Thrawn, the parts of the X-Wing series which focused on Wedge and Janson instead of fucking Corran Horn, and maybe a couple others.

The rest was barely better than the worst parts of fanfiction.net.

>implying it isn't better deterrence
Not even all of the people on the Death Star who see Vader on a daily basis believe in the Force. They'd most definitely believe in Death Stars though.

Because otherwise the movies wouldn't have a plot.

New EU is as bad as the old, you have crazy shit like that, like for example Vader facing an army of hundreds of soldiers in an open field, only with his light saber (while the army had tanks, heavy blasters, missiles and shit) and he won easily.

>He already has every faith and trust in Emperor's force stormy powers to waste planets
>"Lack of faith"

Thrawn has already been salvaged. At least part of KOTOR as well, since the encyclopedia of FA mentions Kylo's hilted lightsaber is a crude attempt at a lost design of Darth Revan's.

Shadows Of The Empire needs to be saved though. Dash Rendar is canon, but the whole story hasn't been yet.

The Force lets you do crazy shit

The stories aren't savaged just surface elements. Who cares about neoThrawn if he didn't do anything?

>Luke has problems to beat three dudes in a bike
>Beats Vader 5 minutes later
>Turns out Vader can defeat entire armies by himself
Yep, new EU fixed everything

Thrawn's backstory was never important.

What matters is the story going forwards. As long as what he accomplishes now is in the same tier, its all good.

Plus, no Daala or Soontir Fel bullshit.

>Muh Star Wars

Every Star Wars story that has been told outside of the original trilogy has been utter shit. Only one movie of the original trilogy was even worth a second viewing.

Star Wars is stupid space fantasy. Arguing over which stupid space fantasy is more believable is just about the most retarded thing ever. There was a book in the expanded universe where Han Solo and Chewbacca fight their way through a planet populated by giant ferrets.

You're telling me that's dumber than this or Cad Bane Gary Stuing his way through the fucking Senate, or Darth Sidious clouding the entire galaxy's judgement with Force magic, or any of Boba Fett's or the Clones' horrible, Punisher-esque stories?

Fuck off. If we can have a character who conquers civilizations by studying macaroni art we can have a ferret planet.

There is no way he comes close to toppling a young galactic empire.

>Also wouldn't destroying our own worlds be an economic disaster and breed discontent?
"Interesting, why don't you share your concerns to the emperor himself. killing you for questioning him is sure to liven his day "

Fuck you, Empire is one of the ten best movies ever made and Hope was in the top 100.

Palpatine is never shown killing people for failure. If anything, he just trains a replacement and lets the superior one off the other for the position.

Even Vader isn't as killy as memed. He kills two admirals, both for making dumbshit rookie mistakes and thinking that a stiff upper lip and a chest covered in fruit salad would get them a pass on it.

He tolerates a competent Stormtrooper sassing back to him in Hope, and when someone is unable to do an impossible task (Empire, the crew of the Executor catching the Millenium Falcon) he doesn't just kill random guys.

>The Force lets you do crazy shit (in the EU)

Even in the prequel trilogy, Jedi and Sith powers were fairly reasonable and presented Jedi and Sith as skilled warriors with some low-level psionics bullshit.

One of the biggest, most pivotal moments of Force usage in the original trilogy, Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp, is portrayed as a huge deal, and it's basically something you could have replicated with a single crane.

It's only in the EU that Force powers allow Jedi and Sith to do Metal Gear Rising-level bullshit like fight armies by themselves or pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky.

>Palpatine is never shown killing people for failure
he killed Lemelisk for failure quite a lot.

>It's only in the EU that Force powers allow Jedi and Sith to do Metal Gear Rising-level bullshit like fight armies by themselves or pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky.

ABSOLUTELY THIS

EU ruined things way worse than midichlorians. Unchecked writers cashing in on bad fanfics more often than well thought out science fiction storytelling turned Jedi into unstoppable superheroes capable of bizarre feats of power.

There's a reason the science fiction genre has zero Star Wars novels among its greatest works, although the sensationalism has made for a few cool games.

You should check out Aaron Allston's work on the X-Wing series. Some of the best gritty sci-fi I've read, and it all could very easily work as a standalone generic Sci-Fi series based around fighter pilots.

The Wraith Squadron books are way better than Michael Stackpole's bullshit Gary Stu Corran Horn, and when Aaron Allston wrote Starfighters of Adumar, it was a straight-up love letter to Wedge Antilles because he clearly thought it would be the last time he touched the character.

The Allston run of X-Wing is also, delightfully, almost entirely free of Jedi or Sith EU bullshit. Just pilots in X-Wings (and occasionally other fighters) kicking ass, taking names, and sometimes dying awesome, metal, and/or tragic deaths.

You mean
>some barely trained kid can barely defeat something he's never dealt with in a place he's never been before
>beats his dad who's clearly holding back 5 minutes later in a 1v1 swordfight
>turns out his dad can defeat an army of people armed with things he can deflect (and has been deflecting since he was 10) when he's giving it his all

I will do so. I've been burned a lot of times but recommended series are worth a look.

Yeah, Thrawn is cool until you realise that all his bullshitting can be undone by a race with more than one art style.
Like say, humans.

He managed to maul the hell out of humans pretty repeatedly too, you realize, just with less of the art study hatpulling. The Katana fleet race and the accurately calling the strike at Bilbringi and having his forces ready to paste the New Republic's spring rather readily to mind.

Not that guy, but he's right. The Wraith Squadron books are some of the best the EU has to offer, and they manage to balance out a lot of good character interaction with a much more low key and thus more grounded sort of storyline.

It's mostly about plotting and being clever and the occasional dogfight or pseudo-pirate action, not Jedi and lightsabers.

Be sure you start with Wraith Squadron. If you really like the characters of Wedge and Janson you can try out the Michael A. Stackpole half of the series, but his half is more about the character of Corran Horn and his magical ability to Gary Stu all over the fucking place. Stackpole's also kind of shit at writing compared to Allston, so there's that.

Books 1-4 of X-Wing are one mostly self-contained series with Book 8, Isard's Revenge, being Michael A. Stackpole's send-off of the series and the villain from Books 1-4. Books 5-7 are the Wraith Squadron "trilogy", while Book 9 is an entirely self-contained send-off of the series by Aaron Allston, then Book 10 (which came out 13 years after Book 9) is a sort of "here's where the remnants of Wraith Squadron are many years later" thing.

Yes, it's confusing as fuck.

Don't forget that Book 10 features a whole bunch of other, new generation characters whom if you haven't read associated material with them you have no fucking clue who they are or what they're about. (or at least, I didn't, because I never read the Legacy era stuff and only got Mercy kill because awesome, Allston wrote something else)

Yeah, I was disappointed about that. Doesn't hold a candle to the Wraith trilogy or Starfighters of Adumar.

Hell, what I loved most about the Wraith Squadron trilogy is it's less "Here's some Star Wars" and more "Here's The Dirty Dozen with some X-Wings thrown in because we have to have them as it's in the name of the series".

>gritty sci-fi
>Star Wars
Lemme guess: Mandalorian fan?

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard somewhere once that several of the Wraiths, and by extension the series premise, was based on a group he played Traveler with back in the day, and about how they would come up with crazy plan after crazy plan and prank each other all the time.

>disguy

Nope. But rewriting the The Dirty Dozen as a Sci-Fi dog-fighting trilogy is about as gritty as you can get without venturing into grimdark or edgelord territory.

Way to show off your knowledge of what the fuck we're talking about instead of trying to look cool, though. Pic related.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. The Wraiths barely touch their god-damned X-Wings in a series based around X-Wings, and half the shit they pull is the exact sort of unbelievable bullshit everybody around here says could never happen in an actual game when they read a greentext story.

Is Traveler any good? I skimmed it once and it looks confusing, but first impressions don't have to be last impressions.

First, a few basics
>Vador
Vader
>Emporer
Emperor
>force storms
Not canon anymore
>discontent
The Empire was all about keeping the masses cowed through fear, not loyalty through good deeds or something.

Then,
>fleet bombardment
The rebels can do that too, and I'd expect at least a few criminal syndicates and private corporate armies could too (probably more than a few, at that).

The Death Star is a symbol, with it the Empire has the ability to completely and utterly destroy entire planets, which is an order of magnitude beyond what anyone else can do.

It's like saying nukes have no purpose or use when you can just grab some battleships or a bunch of planes or something and bomb the shit out of a city (iirc the firebombing of Tokyo earlier in WWII killed more people than either of the nukes dropped). Sure, nukes aren't necessarily more effective (than a fleet or whatever), but there's a psychological factor to such a massive amount of condensed firepower.

The first crit that straight out kills you is 141 and since the average roll is about 50 (without modifiers) it should take about 9 crits to kill someone. Also, the earliest a crit can kill someone (once again assuming no crit modifiers) is when the player already has 5 crits unless they reduce one of their stats to 0 from a crit. My group prefers to have things a little more lethal so we play where taking double your wounds kills you as well and it isn't uncommon for rivals to have a viscous 1 weapon.

Darth Revan is not canon, nor is Dash Rendar.

Whoever told you that they are canon fed you misinformation.

While ships of the same class as the Outrider are canon (one appears in the special edition of ANH), the Outrider itself, as well as its pilot, is not.

Revan hasn't been mentioned in anything canon. There's an image in the Obi-Wan & Anakin comic of an ancient Jedi that is definitely informed by Revan's appearance, but it is never named who it is.

How do you kill someone, a lot?

great, i came to Veeky Forums to try and get an opinion on some things and figured between you guys, /k/ and /m/, somebody would know.

I want to make a sort of diorama of imperial forces, but im not really sure of what sorts of equipment a squad or platoon sized force, in say a mechanized infantry sort of outfit would have.

for instance, if i have an AT-ST, did they use TX-130s and/or speeder bikes to back them up? or were they pretty much loners?
any other imperial ground vehicles?

I would imagine that the mechanized or mounted forces would depend on the climate the unit was being deployed into.

Setting aside that most Star Wars planets in canon appear to be one homogeneous climate, you'd probably deploy different vehicles for different locales. If you know your forces need to move fast and terrain were treacherous, you'd deploy speeder-bikes. If the terrain had solid ground and you anticipated heavy resistance, you'd see AT-STs and AT-ATs. If the place had easily-trainable beasts acclimated to the climate, you'd have troopers riding them like they did in the A New Hope remaster.

Depends on the location.

If you're doing a diorama, just make whatever looks cool.

Flash-grow clones and mind transfers. Think Rei from Evangelion, with the memories intact.

Please die, all of you.

You always know your in for a treat when a question like that has to be asked.

>excuse me thread
>vador
>emporer
The shit we put up with on this fucking board, I swear to god.

Not shielded planets.

And yes Force Storms were totally fucked.

Basically Palpatine would hook him into a memory-copying thing and flash his mind over into a clone at the last possible second so he experienced as much of each horrible new death Palpatine had planned for him before coming "back" to life.

Revan was in the TORtanic, which is canon.

Nah, TORtanic is explicitly the last "pure legends" property with the FFG games sliding into some third category that takes from both.

>he thinks the Sith Lords were OP

Look at him and laugh.
I bet you would never understand the riddle of steel, either.

I pretty much stopped reading that series after it switched the Wraiths. Fuck that. It stopped being a character story and started being shennanigans.

Oh you killed off a third character this book? Fucking good, kill the rest while you're here it's not like they have any personality to them.

I don't think I have ever met someone that shit on the Wraiths. Not sure if you're a troll or what.

"BECAUSE FUCK YOU, MATT."

SO, IT IS TREASON THEN

Emperor Palpatine has Gold Experience Requiem?

TORtanic was explicitly stated to be Legends, user. It's the last on-going Legends storyline.

> Emporer
It's spelled "Sheev", pleb.

>Vador
>Emporer

I'm pretty sure Sidious only got that ability after he got revived after Ep 6 or something.

1: Public sector spending allows us to funnel money to corporations and donors who are loyal to our cause instead of leaving it in the hands of the private sector who tend to push for smaller government. I.E., not an empire. Since people feel bad for not supporting the troops, military expenditures are a foolproof way to justify this sort of spending.
2: There are millions of worlds in the Empire. The loss of one is trivial in the face of the tax revenue increase we will justify by building something this huge.
3: If the military comes in under budget people will wonder why we aren't cutting military expenditures. Big projects look good and the public likes to know their money was spent on something.

This thread is like a testament to all the dumbest posters. It's probably one of the worst threads ever spewed out.

Three:
>Vador
Four:
>bumping a b8 thread

Imagining Vader being in charge of military budget and explaining it to subordinates is actually quite amusing.

Fuck off /tv/.

That's what could be said to this entire thread.
You "Excuse Me" fags are so retarded.

but wouldn't the massive number of ships you could build with all the time and money that went into the death star be better for enforcing imperial rule throughout the stars

Wow, your post is retarded.
As expected, I guess. You even type like a moron.

LIGHTSABER. HELICOPTERS.

Nobody was supposed to know about the force storms and only the emperor was capable of creating them. They also could be highjacked by other force users so using them was risky.

The Death Star it'self was meant to be a symbol. Something unstoppable, irresistable, omnious. The shear size of the death star sitting in orbit would be enough to spark fear into the defenders even before they knew what it could do.

The planet destruction aspect was actually meant to defeat planetary shielding. It's still overkill for that but again, the death star is a weapon of terror and destroying the planet leaves nothing to rebuild on.

And no, this doesn't actually make sense, this is just the rationale for the Death Star.

>Book 8, Isard's Revenge, being Michael A. Stackpole's send-off of the series
Also him trying to hook Wedge up with Iella, because KJA was shitting on it with that amnesiac alien scientist. Thank fuck Allston followed Stackpole's lead there.

I don't really mind Corran, he's got some Stu traits, but fucks up more than he succeeds. Wedge is better though, and Stackpole seems better at writing Wedge than he is Corran.

A cloning machine that transfers memories. He liked to amuse himself finding interesting ways to kill people while preserving them for future use. Simply torturing somebody for failure is pleb-tier, Palpatine has patrician tastes.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DEFLECT A VOLLEY FROM THIS?

The superlaser was more a symbol then anything. In addition it wasn't supposed to be the only ace in it. Until a nearly impossible exploit was bulled off it let people know that at any point the emperor can just, wipe out anything.

Besides the empire wasn't COMPLETLY in control, it was likely after the rebels (Who occupied a mostly uninhabited planet) they were going to use it to break the Hutts.

Basically this.
America wiped out a lot more people during the firebombing of tokyo then they did with the atom bomb.

No one ever talks about Tokyo. It's hiroshima that gets the massive debates on ethics. Because people inherently fear something that was so singularly powerful

Wow, you just took this thread from retarded to super retarded.

Yeah, Tarkin Doctrine was all about "Fear of force is better than force itself"

Because it's space fantasy, not sci-fi. Basically someone said "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

He's a politician who has manipulated his enemies for decades, and his face looks like moldy porridge.

It's compensation, you dolt. He's an ultra manlet.

I just recently finished Wraith Squadron and i want to know if Mercy Kill is worth getting. I hear its a whole different cast.

It's good, but a little sad to hear what went wrong during the Vong war.

But if you ever wanted to read about Piggy posing as an exotic dancer well this is the book for you!

I like the Tx-130 but I wouldn't think they'd be used alongside an ATST. It would be an either or thing.

The "tank" thing in Rouge One, provided it isn't more like a truck in function, would be the same story.

I'd say maybe a speeder bike or two for advance scouts, and then the foot soldiers. Which would be either Stormtroopers if it's a spearhead assault, or just regular Imperial Troops with maybe a few TKs attached.

The Empire presumably already has a lot of ships (since the EU is non-canon now we don't know how many), what they need is a symbol to keep people in line even when there aren't any ships around.

Whether or not you think it would work, that's what they were shooting for. Technically we don't know how well it worked in that setting, since we didn't see any average Joe types commenting on it or being more/less disorderly.

OP, stop trying force your meme

bump

>bumps shit thread

AAAAAAAAAAH!!!
Every FUCKING day with these STUPID fucking MEMES! I've had it up to HERE with stupid fucking memes! You guys make me want to KILL MYSELF! Is that what you fucking want? For me to fucking KILL MYSELF and write on my suicide note "Cause of suicide: Couldn't handle all of the stupid fucking memes, killed myself"? Because that's what it might as well fucking say!
You guys are literally, L I T E R A L L Y incapable of having even the SIMPLEST of fucking discussion without "MEME THIS, MEME THAT, PROBABLY TYLO BE CHILLIN, HERE'S A PIC OF HUMBLE CANNONS BY AARON ELLIS, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EBIN AMIRITE?" Fucking STOP IT you pathetic fucking FAGGOTS, you are such fucking cancer that I cannot even fathom how you fucking scumbags live your dumb gay lives. Don't you have a job to get to, schoolwork to finish or a family to attend to? Do you literally do ANYTHING productive with your lives other than post stupid fucking memes on the music section of a god damn anime imageboard? You fucking people make me sick and you're damn lucky I don't have any of your fucking addresses you fucking pieces of shits. I'd spit in your faces.