Reminder that John Blanche is the greatest 40k artist of all time

Reminder that John Blanche is the greatest 40k artist of all time.

>Fulgrim wishes he had these heels.

Never understood the Blanche hype. His proportions and line work are deviantart tier and he only knows his one color palette like that shitty Third Eye Nuke guy who can only airbrush white and black.

What a guy.

I don't need to be reminded.

Not sure what to tell you. Hes capable of using cold colours, but prefers to use warm ones, and I'm not sure why you'd call him "deviantart tier". Thats pretty dismissive.

My favorite one of his art books is the one for all of the art he made for the 2nd edition rules book.

I love Blanches stylization and extreme caricature of the setting, but for me Adrian Smith is really the defining artist of 40k.

>I'm not sure why you'd call him "deviantart tier".

It's an easy and lazy way for him to signal both his disapproval and his cool kid status, while also implying that his opinion is really a fact.

He captured a sharp, refined style, where other older WH official arts haven't aged as well.

I think his style is more suited to WHFB

Which? Smith of Blanche?

Come to think of it, both of em.

I can't stand blanche's sketchy red and brass figures.

Fucking love his ships and city/planetscapes though.

His art looks like crayon-scribbled garbage. Tumblr has better artists that have done better work and gotten paid a lot less.

ur dum

he invented the mona lisa

Agree. This is the image that got me into Warhammer

In terms of his influence on the style and setting of 40K, this can't be argued.

This image makes me want to see the unification of Earth get the HH treatment.

I know you're saying this ironically, but it's objectively true.

That might happen after FW finishes the Heresy and the Scouring.

The thing that I like about blanche is the same thing that I like about ancient art. It isn't supposed to accurately picture a person or place, rather it tells you something about them.

Like this mosaic of the nile, which shows how different animals live at different places along it. Also, different people live different lifestyles between the north and the south. It's informative without being accurate.

>that turquoise and pink Brother if Darkness

This. All I want is a Unification Wars series. WHEN, BW, WHEN?

Not to rain on your parade, because I'm all for enthusiasm, but how well do you think that would go? For one thing its a rather small part of a massive setting, and basically everything in the Unification Wars were just setups to the Great Crusade.

Also with how much skub there is over the new HH stuff do you really look forward to even more asinine debates?

I'd be fine with just a small trilogy written by one of the good authors. That's it, that is all I want. Maybe 5 books if we get an in-depth of the various city-states like "merca" and "mosk," as well as the time of the Great Crusade's dawning.

But bron, the appeal to the unification of terra is that we dont know anything, like the heresy before the endless river of mediocre books. 40k has been stuck in the year 40,999.999 forever. might as well advance the plot before we do even more prequels.

I like this idea. For a 3 part I imagine it would go a bit like this:
>The emperor's thoughts of what needs to be done by ~30k and the memories of his past, ending with the emperor finally deciding he must take a more active role in humanity if humanity is to continue in any meaningful way
>The emperor finally takes the stage and starts the unification wars, detailing his starting peaceful conquests (eg. persuading barbarians/city-states to join his cause) before he goes full war industry, ending with the creation of the Thunder Warriors
>Emps diving further and further into researching what's going on in the galaxy and seeing the unification of earth/eldar waning heavily as the time to push out, ends with the Primarch/Astartes project

What would be important to keep in mind would be that the Emperor's point of view would have to be far and few between in terms of chapters, as well as heavily annotated (a la The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud). I think this would lend the book a good deal of mysticism that the unification wars originally held while still letting them be fleshed out more.

A long time ago, Games Workshop released a collector's edition of the Liber Chaotica book I believe it was called. They each came with a glass panel that had artwork relevant to the 4 chaos gods.

I believe these were each by Blanche. Does anyone happen to have them? Preferably high res.

Is there any good list of various art books GW has put out over the years? I've wanted to get something, but it's hard to know what's out there and how they differ.

I bought the Emperor's Will and the Emperor's Might (haven't arrived yet) because they're the only ones I could find for a reasonable price. How's the Inquis Exterminatus BL is selling?