Why do certain people in this interest group tend to exhibit similar awkward facial hair and cosmetic features?

Why do certain people in this interest group tend to exhibit similar awkward facial hair and cosmetic features?

I'm a big fan of tabletop games and I play Star Wars Force and Destiny and Pathfinder weekly. I also have a great job as a bar manager and have a wife and one kid. I look like a regular handsome American. Yet the people I play with have long hair, are over weight or insanely skinny fat, have strange teeth and facial features, and act really awkward outside of the game table.

My incredibly hot wife and I love these guys, but I can't help but notice a trend and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed it and have an explanation?

Damn, your wife is hot.

You know the rules, pics of you with the wife or you're just attention whoring.

Is that your wife, OP?

Are you a Dwarf?

The hobby doesn't make people look weird, weird looking social outcasts are drawn to the hobby as their last resort

My wife and I at an Astros game

10/10 wife, OP. She is hot.

Where's her son?

>screenshot

My wife and I goofing off at a sushi spot

She's too good for you, but good job.

She had sent that to me with snapchat and I saved it via screenshot

Last one I'll post, but this is me and the wife at our favorite Cajun bar

Thanks

I thought that was John Romero for a second.

Ugly weirdos become social outcasts, gravitate to niche activities to satisfy their need for human interaction.

Anything that keeps normies away is a safe haven for them.

>just getting into wargaming
>First game will be bolt action

Am... am I social outcast anons?

If your newbie game is anything other than 40k you are definitely a weirdo.

Thanks for delivering OP.

My answer is that the topic and subject of the hobby we enjoy is all make believe in whatever fantasy it may be. That kind of topic appeals to the kinds of guys who aren't long for real life, despite the game aspect involving being social.

Most people don't join the hobby out of thin air, they're introduced to it by a friend.

The hobby was started by a bunch of turbonerds. That shows in the gameplay - you play Pathfinder, that is seriously not a game you can just sit down and play. For like twenty years, the simplest game you could play reliably was 0e. These two factors meant that it was turbonerds passing the game down to turbonerds.

>My incredibly hot wife
Cool story bro

>My incredibly hot wife
S T D H . txt

>Its a historical wargame

Fuck me.

At the risk of sounding incredibly doofy, most nerds look weird and act awkward for the same reason most adventuring types aren't your typical villager. They got into niche weird hobbies because they were niche and weird themselves.

I would say now that these hobbies have become more mainstream it has created kind of weird divide. But thats just my opinion.

I'm 40k but don't want to be normie...

I can't say this is true for everyone, but I know enough people who shared my experience that I think it might mean something here.

The world doesn't care about you if you aren't attractive. Whether you are in fact legitimately ugly or not, sometimes people manage to make sure you know you're a hopeless case early on and it sticks.

You either obsess about looks and turn into a fake shell desperate to look how others want you or you turn into the kinds of guy you're on about. You stop caring about your weight because who cares how you look, you're ugly nomatter what anyway. You only bathe enough to keep comfortable and prevent illness because whatever, nobody ever wanted to be in smelling range of you anyway so why do them the favor of smelling nice if you don't notice it and they wouldn't care anyway. Eventually you get hobbies like the ones here, and so many of the people there are like you that you know they understand.

Maybe you stay that way. Maybe you hit the wall I hit and try to change for one of a thousand reasons. But it doesn't matter if you keep on as you are or lose the weight, get in shape, fix your face, dress right and make yourself presentable. That fat, smelly, awkward nerd who hates himself so much he can't help but spread that hate out to everyone he meets is still there, and no amount of people saying otherwise will wipe the stain of how one asshole you can't even remember by name or face anymore took away your ability to love yourself.

>user comes to Veeky Forums, talks to Veeky Forums about his great job, handsomeness, “incredibly hot wife”, and posts pics.
Okay, I realize there is approximately 0.0000% chance this is not trolling…
But I’m going to answer your question to the best of my ability.

>Why do certain people in this interest group tend to exhibit similar awkward facial hair and cosmetic features?
Define “cosmetic features”.
As for awkward facial hair, it could be one of two things:
1. They are too lazy to cut their facial hair and let it grow out.
If it surprises you that some adults who play traditional games as a primary hobby are lazy, you’re an idiot.
2. They intentionally grew out their facial hair the way you think looks awkward. This means:
2a. They don’t realize how awkward it looks. If you assume everyone has an accurate self image, you’re an idiot.
2b. It’s not actually awkward and you’re an idiot.
2c. They don’t think it looks awkward.
See, facial hair can be like cosplay. They have a mental image of something cool and try to achieve it to the best of their ability. But if the end product fails to meet the goal, people can be so invested in the look and how they imagine it, that they lose their objectivity. If you can’t see how traditional gamers can get lost in what they imagine, you’re an idiot.

2d. They don’t care that it looks awkward.
Using the cosplay example above, it is entirely possible that they are completely aware of how it looks.
But they like the look they trying for, by proudly wearing their attempt, they are proclaiming their interest to the world around them.
Not everyone is capable of achieving greatness, but that does not mean they should be ashamed of trying. If you don’t understand that, you’re an idiot.

So, in short OP, in addition to being a faggot, you’re an idiot.

>the people I play with have long hair
What is this, the fifties? Let the long haired, freaky people play their games in peace.

Why would anyone who has the option of physical and verbal contact with other human beings get into this hobby?

Good job, boyo. She's a qt.

At the very least, I can explain the facial hair to you. It's a combination of laziness and the "beards are MANLY" mindset. So what you get are bums who let it grow out and think it's cool because beards automatically make you a lumberjack or something.

Because it's fun?

Yes, I know. But if you're attractive and interesting, there are ways to have more fun, in less time, that are more easily accessible with less effort, and that don't cost any money.

Not that I would know from personal experience, of course, that's just what my non-subhuman friends tell me (not real friends, just people that I text every couple of months).

My job involves being sociable. Most of my friends are outgoing and sociable and we often go to things that involve contact with lots of people, many of them strangers. On top of that a few of us make the time once a week to play tabletop rpgs. Wanna know why?

cuz its FUN

This is just asking for people to track you down and stalk you

But you could be doing stuff that doesn't make you feel like a miserable loser, I don't get it

There's nothing about the hobby that *makes* you a miserable loser, user, but it will bring you in contact with miserable losers.

Those are the people most obsessed with vicarious fantasy worlds.

heh

She looks like she's really into anal. Is she?

Wow, she settled.
Hope you two are happy, dude.

Where are you? How can you let this strange looking guy creep on your wife in a photo like that?

Huh. You're telling the truth.

Well broski, to say what a bunch of other people have already said, a good chunk of the hobby was embraced by a bunch of socially awkward dudes whose figures to emulate were older socially awkward dudes who probably introduced them to traditional gaming in the library or something. These are the kind of people that like number crunching and like simulation, but have forgone basic social norms in order to pursue these ventures - since when you only associate with people like yourself all the time (read: nerds), why learn what other people do? It's all fairly simple, really.

I share that shit with you user. Good summary of some complex bs.

OP, you are a piece of shit for thinking your life is somehow superior to anyone's

>My incredibly hot wife and I

Get the fuck out of here you faggot

>I look like a regular handsome American
So you have no jawline, are skinny and weak, and have a weird face? Probably some mutant hybrid of Pole and Anglo.

Confirmed.

Your revolting mongrel nation does not produce attractive people except strictly by accident. The last time I met an American I and six other Serbs held him down and broke all of his fingers for helping foreigners steal a third of our country. Fag enabling cuck society. Start learning spanish now, and get used to apologizing for the color of your eyes. You've got better things to worry about than other peoples' beards.

Beyond being born as the literal elephant man looks have very little to do with whether or not people perceive you as attractive, especially if you are a guy.

Factors that you say are irrelevant such as bathing , wearing good clothes , getting a decent haircut, wearing aftershave etc wll combine together along with a confident attitude and body language that projects an image of attractiveness which is far more relevant than whatever looks you were born with.

This is coming from a former obese , straggly haired , unwashed 'ugly' guy who cleaned up his act and found lo and behold he was getting laid and people were saying he was attractive.

Because that's the sort of person attracted to tabetop games.

My long hair is unrelated to the nerdy hobbies, however.

I am ugly as sin, scraggly haired pimply unwashed neckbeard, and I don't care about most Veeky Forums things at all. I'm essentially only here for Magic: the Gathering, which I only play online so as to not subject others to my malignant presence.

>Why do certain people in this interest group tend to exhibit similar awkward facial hair and cosmetic features?
The Book forbids shaving the beard. The nose is genetic.

Look at this ass-bombed slav savage. Just get an eyeful.

Gosh, the natives are hopeless, surely we are right to peacekeep their fuckhole "countries".

>I look like a regular handsome American
>looks like some ugly eastern european
Top lel

Srebrenica level bantz right here

It's a hobby which demands creativity, imagination, and an interest in fantastic fiction. People who possess these traits are less likely to let their concern for maintaining an image of perfect normality get in the way of their desire to play around with their appearance, since creativity and playfulness are virtually the same thing. They also give less of a fuck about clothes because clothes are more about finding a good synergy to project an image, and tends to be more rigid ("I have to express this"), and if you want to be creative with clothes you need a huge fucking wardrobe, which means a lot of money and time spent in boring stores for a very small amount of creative potential. There's also the aspect of wanting to see things take on a shape guided by your own decisions, either in figures, words and numbers on a character sheet, or what's growing out of your face.

You're in no position to critique other people's facial hair, friendo. If you can't grow a 'stache like Selleck you gotta either go full beard or shave it off.

>your looks have little to do with being seen as attractive
>as said by someone who used to be all of the things he just said didn't make someone unattractive but who is now attractive because he isn't those things

Crackerjack job there, mate

I know you're just trolling, but hobbies are a thing that exists.

OP here. Just woke up and was surprised to see this still up! Thanks for the range of great and terrible responses!

Looks in this case being the genetics you are born.

You're in full control whether you want to be attractive or not. Good genes are a bonus and make that a bit easier but are often mostly irrelevant.

You're both average looking, not hot.

I don't believe that is either you or your supposed wife.

Enjoy your hand.