MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Useless Commanders Edition

Previous Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karlov-budget-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-04-16-big-black-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WAIT FOR THE DRUM ROLL

Why are Boros Commanders so bad in general? There are so few good ones.

I wonder what they were thinking when they wrote melee. It's just such a bland idea, and it seems counterintuitive to me.

When you combine the two worst colors in edh, it's no surprise when you get the worst color color combo in edh.

I cracked that bitch, and I've been theory crafting a deck for her, but the best I can come up with is some boros weenies with assemble the legion getting +1/+1 when they attack. That just sounds so... bad. How is that going to win me a game? They could have at least made her Naya so I'd have access to better things.

See, I disagree, the problem is the only good way to build Boros is to do MLD and no commanders facilitate that, because both Johnny and Timmy find it unfun. I was actually brewing Boros indestructible boardwipes and whatnot, I just can't see a reason not to turn it into a generic Biron Soutarm instead.

I think tokens is the way to do it, yeah. My problem with it is spreading yourself out on attacks just to get an anthem.
Don't forget to run Aurelia, getting multiple combats with Adriana might add up.

>Aurelia
Ya I think that might work, particularly in a 4 player game with some instant speed white untappers. I still wish it was Naya so I could great oak guardian with Aurelia and Kiki-jiki.

I thought >pff whatever, there has got to be something

I was wrong. There is literally nothing but creatures and combat oriented rw legendaries. Holy shit.

>attack two opponents with one token each
>all in on major target
>all your creatures get +3/+3
>???
>PROFIT

just leave em alive long enough to get the bonus and ping em later.

Yeah, they REALLY wasted their opportunity with the RW precon.

Everyone wanted two things from that.
Another angel waifu and a RW general that helped get some kind of card advantage or some theme beyond big beaters, in the colors with no ramp or real card draw...

And what did we get? A useless Angel waifu and a general that only works when you play giant beaters... in the colors known for having no card advantage and no ramp....

its a sad day when the best Boros general for card advantage is the new Dwarf Podracer... and she can only draw you other dwarves and vehicles...

Printing some no-name, edgy angel instead of Feather was the biggest disgrace of that precon.

I think the worst part of all of it is how rudely they shat on the RW precon too. You actually have to work for Kalemne's experience counters by casting the fatties while Newzuri can get his off of tokens ETBing.

Dunno about you guys, but I've had success with this guy. Slap down cheap mana rocks, some cheap protection and some cheap creatures that catch that +3/+0 anthem. It can really rack up potential deadliness faster than your opponents foresee. Stick in some late-game evasion and multiple combats and you have a pretty strong (albeit not extremely competitive) commander.

Or he can be used as a rather abusive sword carrier at the helm of a voltron deck. Probably better at that, being basically an 8/4 first striker.

a friend of mine i just got into magic built his first edh deck with pic related,
you gave have any budget auto-includes/spicy tech i could advise him?

I've been working on the same thing and I'm going to post a list in the next couple days because I have a test every day this week.
But I can let you in on one of my prime secrets.
Echoing Courage.

This cards second ability is so argument inducing. Do the X/Xs count themselves or the board prior when coming into play? Is the ability static timestamped or is it updating? Why are the creatures X/X when their tokens are */*? Why does she have flavor text when she could have had (rules clarification text?)

Why couldn't they make something simple like:

Sarah, Angel of Penance
3WR

Whenever a land is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, creatures you control get +1/+0 until the end of turn.

RRWW: Destroy target land.

3/2

wonder if it works the same way as voice of resurgence token? though i would bet it just copies the # of creatures you have before then comes into play as an unchanging X/X

Not budget, but Parallel lives, doubling season, etc.

Thousand year elixir so he can hit the field with his wheels spinning. Swiftfoot boots and lightning greaves for haste.

Also any green mana doublers and ramp he can cram into there. Those are some pretty expensive abilities, so being able to afford using them more then once a turn is gonna likely be a must.

Jor Kadeem! Fuck I've wanted to build him for a long ass time. Is it fun user? He might be my boros legendary to run with. I love artifacts in general, and I've found some spicy R/W synergies trying to build Uril.

Because Muh' spirit of EDH REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It is our job to free the souls bound by gravity through armageddons.

In my experience, the best "Suppression" style RW commander is Avacyn. She doesn't really support land destruction, but she does more for resource management than any of the others.

No, nothing counts itself before entering the battlefield, it checks for all other creatures as it resolves, not when it's activated, */* is for abilities that set power and toughness based on changing conditions.

If you have her and two other creatures out when her second ability resolves, you'll make a 3/3. If two of those creatures die, it'll still be a 3/3.

to encourage combat in a way that doesnt encourage hammering one dude

Maybe they're saving Feather for Ravnica 3.

This is the Jor user. Yeah he's a blast. He slips under everyone's expectation radar, too. I can usually get him out pretty fast and smack people for 20 damage with a bunch of weenies before they realize I'm even a threat. Boros swiftblade goes from 2 to 8 damage with the drop of your commander. He can be pretty nuts. If you enjoy artifacts and want to use an underrated commander, Jor is a blast.

Can anyone give me any suggestions for my karlov budget deck?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karlov-budget-2/

I think the most appropriate way for them to do Land Destruction on a RW commander is to make it into punishment for excessive land ramp. Something like:

>At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a land if he or she controls the most lands or is tied for the most.

Could even add in something like:

>Then that player does the same for artifacts, enchantments, and creatures.

Not useless, but begging for me to build a janky political deck with.

thanks for the advice, i figured all of the token doublers and anthems would be auto includes in the deck. ill write up a list of cards to buy once he really gets into the game

Dejank it up and you'll be set.

So I own two edh decks, Nath and a WB skeleton semi-tribal. People are getting upset at me for running decks with bunches of little guys, token or skeleton, and using them as sacrifice fodder or lots of bullshit blockers. They either get swarmed or drained of cards in hand and on the field by my sac cards. I love black, and doing terrible things to my minions to do worse things to other people, but nobody wants to play any more. Recomend me a new way to hurt people? And be creative and goofy. Please no token or weenie decks, though that hurts me to say.

Start by telling them to get good.
by hurting their pride first they will only entrench themselves in the ways of the baddie.

Probably a simple question that I'm thinking too hard here, but if someone turns a creature into a land, then uses Obsidian Fireheart to put a blaze counter on it, does the creature continue to burn if it ceases to be a land?

>these are the things Skullbriar's ability makes me think about

The creature will be seriously wounded, but the soul still burns.

I've got no idea on this one, so I put a post on the ask a judge thread for you.

Drudge Skeletons are too powerful and have been on the Committee watch list since the format's inception. Skeletal Wurm has been the bane of our play group or years now. Try toning down the power of your decks

Tokens in edh are super meta. They just have to get better at the game, desu. Have them run more counterspells, removal and pillowforty shit. That's a classic case of "You're better at magic and we don't want to get better because we're lazy. So dumb yourself down so we can have fun."

gA answered the first part, but in reference to:
>these are the things Skullbriar's ability makes me think about

If Skullbriar left the battlefield and returned with a blaze counter still on it, it will be a different object and be divorced from the triggered ability.

I love black too. You could try not letting anyone have creatures. Board wipes an fatties that draw you cards or make fuck loads of mana are just as fun as saying weenies for power.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-04-16-big-black-deck/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/

Thoughts?

Stop putting pictures of giant sluts on Mimeoplasm!

My Oozefu is pure! Pure!

The commander continues to burn.

Anyone have ideas for editions to the Precon deck pic related has? Already ordered the red and white hideaway lands.

All the good equipment.

Please provide useful information or fuck off faggot.

Invest hard into artifact mana
Also pick up a Land Tax desu

Reminded me of this

Go full giant tribal. She seems to have been built for it

>play online because new deck in the mail and bored as fuck
>join a game called "for fun"
>play against a guy who plays original dual lands, steals my creatures, then actually uses "steal artifact" on my mind stone
>cast grave pact on an empty board while his board is also empty, he counters it and then says "guys i gotta go" and leaves the game after it resolves
>another opponent plays nicol bolas planeswalker the next turn
>too gassed out to do anything at that point

FOR FUN

Sigarda's aid. Odric. Always watching.

>implying we didn't want an Angel Husbando

Kalemne works best if you just consider everything printed below the first line as flavor text. Her XP counters are a trap, just deck her out in swords and she'll do fine.

this was my stab at it
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/

I'll pass. My wallet cried just looking at that mess.

/EDHG/ how do i convince my playgroup that diversifying your mana base is almost essential in edh? /i have several friends in my playgroup who dont seem to understand to run lands besides basic forest/mountains/plains/etc.

whenever i tell them
>"throw in terramorphic expanse/bant panorama/evolving wilds to shuffle your library as well as pulling two cards out of your deck for 1 cards"
their response is always
>"I DONT NEED TO SHUFLE WHEN I HAVE THE CARDS I HAVE 1 OF 99 CARDS IN MY DECK THAT WILL AVOID THAT PROBLEM"

It got to the point where I started to prove them wrong with math, and that the likelyhood of you pulling that specific card is like a
>"7% chance at the start of the game to pull that card"
and their response was
>"i understand the math and i understand it will help by increasing the percent chance of pulling into a win card, but i dont NEED it in my deck, my decks fine as it is"

im literally fighting autism.....help me tg......
tl:dr niggers dont like math and dont understand percentages, how do i convince them to run something besides "basic mana"?

Dit

Build a 5 color deck utilizing mazes end, all of the signets, manafixing lands, a shitload of fetch lands, child of alara as commander, door to nothingness, as many fog effects as you can. Build a deck literally to show off mana fixing, fetch lands, etc. Don't win through damage, win through alternate conditions, maybe helix pinnacle. Definitely mazes end. If they won't listen to you, force them to SEE it work

Maybe you should stop being an asshole.

So I played EDH for the first time in a while last night and I think I need a new deck. My play group consistently wrecks me because I'm that guy who isn't competitive. I'm happy to sit and see if I can pull of silly combos, but that leads me to be the target early on, so i never get started.
What commanders, would you recommend who's fun to play, and won't lead to me getting shit on?

What colors do you like?

equipments + stonehewer giant

White, Green, and Blue.
I think that be part of my problem though. I know Red is usually considered garbage in EDH, but I've literally never played Black.

user, please don't use the F word. There is no need to be vulgar.

They can't handle a skeleton deck? Jesus.

Mono red runs into many issues. It's good with support. Black is fun as fuck and you can build pretty budget with a mono black commander. You can get a solid enderek sahr deck for cheap. Honestly, you may really like flicker.deck , or, in other words, roon of the hidden realms. He's GWU, incredibly fun,and is PACKED with value.

I've always loved pic related as commander as well. Go balls deep voltron.

They'll come around when the idea is finally there own. If you know what I mean.

if they're stupid fucks you can't fix them

most magic players are really, really bad at magic and don't care to change or improve

maybe, ive always wanted to make a child abuse deck, never had an idea for it before but i might now

im not trying to be an asshole here, i would like to think most people see mana fixing as GOOD thing and HELPFUL but when people basically say "i understand math, but i refuse to use it" its alittle frustrating to see

i have a roon landfal deck that decimates the table everytime i pull it out STRICTLY because i have a good mana base, definitely not the best, but its good, and my group still doesnt see mana fixing as "useful"

Necropotence is a very well designed card when it comes right down to it.

maybe some sort of life gain & drain deck? or maybe that's too unfun for them too

Oloro superfriends feat. Stasis effects

I would like to hear their side of this story to see if you are truly being civil and polite when you try explaining it to them.

If you like silly combos, just play good combos instead. Try a Momir Vig deck. Or Experiment Kraj. Or Prime Speaker Zegana. I played all of those as commanders for a similar deck at different times and I eventually added red to transform it into Intet, then Riku, and now Maelstrom Wanderer, but Blue/Green combo is very fun to play and quite competitive.

Building it is fairly self-explanatory, you need countermagic, lots of ramp, and combo pieces + redundancy through card draw and tutors.

some examples of combos in U/G:

Deadeye Navigator and Palinchron gives you infinite mana and allows you to flicker any creature as much as you want, it's quite easy to win with this (if Momir or Zegana are your commander, you don't even need to draw a 3rd specific card)

Mind Over Matter and Temple Bell/Arcanis The Omnipotent allows you to mill the other players out of the game as long as you have something in your deck that shuffles your graveyard back (I used Primal Command)

Tooth and Nail for Avenger of Zendikar and Regal Force gives you a huge advantage

>You can get a solid enderek sahr deck for cheap

yeah me and another dude have been raving about endrek sahr in this thread for a week or two now. my deck is 60 bucks and holds up pretty damn well for the price point. it's not at "max power" though since it's meant for casual play, so no infinite combos or stuff like that.

follow up to this:
but i also recommend roon of the hidden realms if you want more goofy interactions that can be pretty powerful. pic related turns into a pretty powerful removal engine with that guy. no idea how viable the deck would be in a competitive environment though

My main deck now is actually a Vorel of the Hull Clade token deck/giant ocean stuff theme. I'm sure I have a ton of staples for the colors now, but I really don't know what they're good at.

do you have a full decklist somewhere? i could go over it and tell you what's really shit and what you should keep and suggest some other cards

if you don't want to type it out, a picture that's high enough quality for card names to be legible is fine too

Go away Char.

So i was thinking of getting a pic related for a simic deck and maybe my 5c deck , anyone playing with it currently (or before) and have an opinion on it?

wow thats a really good card

I actually had a Brago deck for a looooong time ago because I was such a fan of flicker. I love stupid silly combos, but I think it's time to expand my horizon and try other things. I want a commander that says "I'm done messing around" 9 times out of 10 i'm the least threatening person at the table, I'm looking to fix that.

Love it. 5c staple.

It's only good if you can cheat it out.

forgot pic , im so good at this

boo , it was seasons past and i forgot to post it
its here now

No.
I must force them into space.

there were times i was being abit of a dick, ill admit it, but it was in order for them to see why they were wrong, like one of my friends, hates land destruction with a passion and refuses to run ghost quarter or anything along those lines of "an eye for an eye" yet he runs several mass land destruction in a boryborgomos enraged deck, not including ghost quarter.

so yea i was abit of a dick when i said he shouldnt be playing cards that go against his philosophy of magic, but i feel thats how everyone should play, why play a game with cards you dont like to use when you can play the game with cards you do like to use and have more enjoyment?

Very good card. I've been using it and I love it.

Probably pretty sweet in 5c decks. I use All Suns Dawn in Horde of Notions and it's good value, might try this out too.

Can try pic related.

>hates land destruction with a passion and refuses to run ghost quarter or anything along those lines of "an eye for an eye" yet he runs several mass land destruction
What a hypocrit. He seems to be operating under some ill-defined honor code. That he is blind to this should tell you a lot about how successful your endeavors to help him will be.

After making the glaring mistake that was Yawgmoth's Bargain, they talked about how much had actually gone into designing Necropotence and how important all the "inelegant" aspects of the card were.

i get that, i forget what the cards were called, but i remember 2, there was one that was like "rite of" something that each player sacced lands for the cards in your hand then he had the cerberus from theros that when monsterous 3 and when it did each opponent sacced 3 lands

it was a bunch of horse shit when i found out that he ran land destruction when he EXPLICITLY stated that he refuses to play it and play against it

kaalia gets hated out of the table almost instantly, sure, it's threatening, but maybe a little too much

this one?

and ember swallower (which is actually a dog-shaped elemental, mind you)

My skele deck is lead by pic related. They live, they die, they live again. Nothing tends to spend more than 10 seconds dead or five turns in the grave yard. Then all my artifacts and enchantments let me kill them to blow up their shit, then they don't want to pay the life so I do it again. Or pay the life and I bring them back anyway. And nath just makes them discard for more 1/1 shit elves. They cry and fume, and tell me to "play real magic, not this bullshit!" I thought the 90 dollar skeleton deck would be weak enough but still fun, and all it does is make them rage Harder!

Dude EDH is supposed to be fun, if you want to go full sperg lord go play modern

Show them the many ways to peel the skin off your opponent. No need to even switch colors. Black loves you baby.