/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Into the Mists Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
googleben.github.io/Spellbook/
pastebin.com/A3yrhZJ3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does anyone have a pdf of the Planar Bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469

first post in the new thread?!

must be some kind of new record dude

Well I didn't see anyone else posting besides OP so I figured why the hell not.

>inb4 some autists sperg about me asking for the pdf again.

Plane of Water adventure ideas?

So I'm thinking about making a disguised night hag supply the party with magical items, scrolls, etc... but slip in the occasional cursed item to keep them on their toes. I want to run a spooky campaign for Halloween and I don't want magic to be too reliable. Thoughts on this?

>dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469

That shit is $10 like seriously just buy it holy shit.

Literally just bag up all the mountain dew cans in your room and take them to a recycling center that's probably $25 right there. There are apps to look up scrap yards that are buying.

Mountain dew is disgusting.

Stop shitting up the thread with this. Jesus Christ. Every single day. How do you not have $10? How pathetic is your life? Just cash in some of you good boy points or something since you want it so bad. You are a pox upon this general. I honestly can't tell if you're serious or just memeing at this point.

When it's a homebrewer that took the time to work on something for the community and is asking for some money for his time and effort, I'm inclined to say that you're being a cheap asshole. Either you pay for what he did, or you figure out the stats for yourself.

It's more of a passive interest. It might be good but the preview isn't worth 10 bucks. Since it tends to reach number 3 on the more popular items on DM's Guild I figure someone might have it. Other people have shared DM's Guild content before and it goes to the community mega so everyone can use it.

On a side note, you need to learn to chill. If my posts are really affecting you that much, I don't think I'm the one you should be calling pathetic. Just ignore the comments and be the bigger person.

(Different person)
Can you at least limit it to maybe asking once or twice a week? Posting in every single thread seems really excessive.

fine faggot

And when it's the first thing you do any time you notice a thread go up, it's well beyond the point of a "passive interest".

He sounds like he's begging, which is why it's super annoying.

>tfw you buy planar bestiary
>tfw you aren't posting it

Fuck you faggot, seriously its 10 fucking dollars are you seriously that fucking poor?

Doing one now, Sahuagin commodeer the ship the PCs are on and sail them through a hurricane into a crossing into the plane. The ship crashes on the isle of dread/ or doesn't depending on the skill encounter, and the PCs have to find a way back.

I'm not too braindead to manage to make my own monsters or recycle other stat blocks from the MM. It's 5e. If I wanted it I'd buy it but I don't need it. My setting isn't even a Plane-heavy.

Obviously he/she is just super cheap and spoiled. Just because this general has $300~$400 worth of uploaded stuff doesn't mean it's enough.

>My setting isn't even a Plane-heavy
I understand passive interest, but why would you care so much to ask 2-3 times a day if you don't even need it?

I'm not the guy asking. You're replying to the wrong user. I was calling the beggar out.

I tried that with a previous thing I wanted for another game and didn't get results. Using one post and one image from the thread isn't excessive. Spamming every other post with my request would be excessive but I think that's a shitty thing to do.

I'm not taking up much space in the thread. Last few threads never reached image limit and out of the number of posts needed to reach bump limit, one post isn't something to complain about.

The last thing I requested was just ignored and eventually I found it elsewhere. The only thing bringing a lot of attention to my posts are anons like that get triggered over the most mundane things.

Not begging just casually asking. People do the same when the new 5e books come out. Since this general has a community mega for DMs guild content I figure there's no harm in asking.

Time Wizards ey. I might be able to get some ideas from this. It might not have been what I asked for but I always like checking out the homebrews posted by others users, thanks user.

If we're on the subject of homebrew, is there any demand for just a big fat book of more generic npc statlines?

If you didn't like the preview, you won't like the whole thing either. Get a job, sir.

Not if it costs more than 5 bucks.

My mistake, user. Have a pleasant day.

While I don't agree with you, I do admire your ability to countertroll the Time Wizards poster.

I guess? The NPCs in the back of the Monster Manual have a bunch of guys at CR less than 1, a few of CR 1-5, and like two guys any higher than that. Once your party is around level 10 and getting into trouble in a city, you either have to wing it or send legion after legion of mooks at them.

I was about to call you out and ask if you have seen the preview, but double checking looks like the guy added more pages. Before it only had the cover and index showing what monsters were in the book. Looks more interesting now.

Pay what you want?

I was thinking of just compiling up npcs, maybe making more "classes" of monster races (Mounted-combat focused goblin raiders who throw oil/alchemist's fire?), more generic casters (the ones in the MM are a bit lacking), more interesting generic martials (Net and poison-based bounty hunters?), and that kind of stuff.

Sounds interesting. Would definitely drop 2 or 4 dollars. We can always use more variety in monsters.

Let's just make it a meme to upload fake PDFs of the planar bestiary from now on. Phone posting, but I'll make some up when I get off work.

I tend to run games that are fairly monster-lite. When a monster shows up I want it to be special and potentially terrifying. So I'd probably drop a couple of bucks or something for a bunch of stats appropriate for humanoid enemies.

Not trolling. I legitimately think some of these ideas can be salvaged since my group tend to play silly humor based campaigns.

Please no. That'll just make these shitty arguments take up even more of the thread.

Agreed. (PDF Requester) If my requests honestly bother you, just learn to ignore them.

The only thing dragging out the drama are people with thin skins and aspergers.

Did you at least manage to get the beta version of the document that the creator put up? It's roughly 90 pages compared to the 120 page final version that's on DMs Guild.

I'd dropped you a link a few threads ago I believe.

Could I use the spell Fabricate to skip the time it takes to craft something (ex: potions) given on page 187's crafting rules?
Feels like something I'd have to ask my DM about, but I wanna ask ya'll first.

The only thing dragging it out is you. You can stop anytime.

Where should I go for basics on DMing? I've played since the playtest, but now some of my friends that have never played want to try and as I've actually played, want me to DM.

I'm assuming Lost Mines is the way to go for first time DMing?

Why is 5e so lewd?

Is there a way I can spruce up my demiplane a bit? Maybe some trees and open the roof up to whatever sky is beyond these walls of stone?

Hmmm, they've had an encounter with Sahaugin before (ran a modified Dread Pirate Braxis that I converted to 5e), and they also own / Captain their own ship.

Was wanting to do something with either a Sea Hag or a Marid.

So why do warlocks need a patron's dick to suck?
My first contact with D&D was NWN 2 and I still remember Ammon Jerro. Where is the "I'm not making deal with you, you are making deal with me'' feel and using the otherworldly powers instead of serving them?

It's not just him, several angry autistic anons don't know how to shut the fuck up and ignore him. I don't remember the requester talking to the thread until some dumbass started complaining about his requests.

10 fucking dollars dude, christ

You might want to watch that edge, friend.
The whole point of warlocks is that they get their power from a source external to them by cutting a deal. However, their fluff was different back in 3e ("dark magic suffusing their soul") which is why Jerro is different from what you see today.

>I swear my players won't kill her!
One of my players got a +1 longbow and I rolled its features from the tables in the DMG and one of them was a feeling of unease and distrust for the magical item. I'm letting it (very) slowly gain power and soon I think I'll give it sentience. He's already debating whether he will try to destroy it or not every time he uses it or it gains a new feature.

Where are you getting this idea from? The warlock options only say you have to have a patron, not which one of you is sucking penis, or even how feminine those penises are.

In the discussion about Critical Role / Matt Mercer as a DM last thread, more than once it was mentioned that he DMs with a 3.PF mindset vs. DMing for 5e.

What exactly does that mean? I used to DM for AD&D and 3.5, and now 5e. My style is overall still the same (although I feel like I've improved in a number of areas over the years), but it is largely based on who I'm playing with and what type of game we're playing.

My go-to site for spells was dndmagic.com, but it appears to have been taken down. What do you guys use?

googleben.github.io/Spellbook/

One meaning is spells can be used to do almost anything but skills / martial abilities can only be used strictly RAW.

Some people like the preview before giving out the cash. Especially so, if it came to homebrew content.

An earlier version with literally 3/4 of the content was posted a few threads ago so he's had enough of a preview

Is that really that different from divine casters? Especially clerics?

Yup, I'm the user that linked the pre-release version. The requester is either not interested in checking that out or liked it and wants the full thing.

How much damage is reduced by resistances?

Look up Dice, Camera, Action, folks, it's actually pretty good.

Posting in fresh thread.
I'm homebrewing a race that's native to a very hostile and barren environment. I want to give them a ribbon feature that allows them to make foraging checks in such environments as if they were a step easier, so to speak. Limited treated as abundant, very little treated as limited. What's an elegant way to word this?
>You are used to making your way in desolate places. When you make an attempt to forage in a barren environment, you consider environments with limited resources to be those with abundant resources, and those with very little resources to be those with limited resources.

Half of the damaged dealt.
just divide it by two and you're done (Rounded down if I remember correctly)

Thanks, brah!

So I'm thinking about making a campaign based around hobgoblins and other goblinoids, as well as ogres with goblin huckers, being the main antagonists, causing great strife throughout the kingdom for unknown reason, and the party is brought in to help quell the problem as well as find out who or what is causing the goblins to attack in such force in the first place. My question is, outside of goblinoids, worgs, and ogres, what creatures are allies with goblinoids?

As a criticism of Matt, that's just not true though. On top of allowing Grog to use his Str for intimidate, he constantly lets them do things skills aren't otherwise meant to do.

As a criticism of edition based mindset, that feels like something that varies from DM to DM. Some people keep things RAW, some people favor rule of cool.

You tried the discord sharing group?

Street to intimidate is literally in the book so fuck you

Free proficiency in survival and double proficiency bonus for purposes of foraging?

See pic related for inspiration.

*str

Firstly, it's stonecunning, your filename's off.
Secondly, that's a pretty obscure and niche thing. Your party has entered some forgotten ruin and can't find an identifying piece of art or text when the dwarf pipes up "Actually, this is a hobgoblin tomb from the 2nd era. I can tell because of the pixels and the number of stoneworks that I've seen in my time." Foraging is something that happens a lot more often.
Moreover, I don't want to make them better at foraging in normal environments, just capable of doing it in barren ones.

Surely being able to forage properly in shitty environments means foraging in plentiful lands should be a cakewalk for you?
It's already a niche as fuck ability there is zero need to limit it further

The 5e book? So he literally does things in line with the spirit and intent, both RAW and RAI as the 5e ruleset? Really makes you think.

>Firstly, it's stonecunning, your filename's off.
Wow, i never noticed this. Thanks for showing me.

Using intimidate to intimidate someone isn't an example of letting skills be used in non-pure RAW ways, you fucking clown.

The really weird part about this post is that I don't think it's sarcastic.

>Actually, this is a hobgoblin tomb from the 2nd era. I can tell because of the pixels and the number of stoneworks that I've seen in my time.
I kind of love you right now, no homo

The goblins and allies could have any number of beasts or slaves that they force to fight on their side. Captured dinosaurs or wyverns that when released to attack the party, munch a few goblins first. Wild boars or rhinoceroseses. Asshole bandits or pirates that think they're getting some good out of allying with the gobbos. Trolls, spiders, mushroom men, whatever you want.

How would you stat a machine gun from ww1?

I'm thinking

>Can't be moved unless proficient in using, and have 18 str.
>As an action you can lay down a large cone of bullets that deals 4d6 damage to everything in the cone that isn't prone. If you're proficient, you can add a number of dice equal to your proficiency modifier.

I realize this may be stupid, so how would you do it?

Just make it deal 2d8 + mod + sharpshooter/great weapon master damage split among entities in the cone.

This is assuming you'really having it as a standard weapon for the PCs and not some magic item their thing.

Just ordered my very own PHB for 5e. So excited. We've been playing for weeks now but I've had to use the PDF or my friends PHB, it'll be good to have my own.

On a side note, does anyone know any tips for taking campaign notes? I'm not very good at keeping up with the DM as they explain what's going on and the group gets mad if I have to ask them to repeat it over and over.

Side side note, is Horde of the Dragon Queen good? It's what we've been playing and it's been fun so far, but I want to know if it has a good story that pays off later.

>is Horde of the Dragon Queen good
It's definitely the weakest published adventure for 5e, since it was rushed out for the edition's release. There's guides to fixing its big issues online, though.

There's also one really cool chapter that I won't spoil, near the end of the first book.

Easiest thing I've done in my experience is to make simple bullet points as you're playing the game (so that you're not too busy making detailed).

Then when you get time, take your bullet points and sort them into notes about fellow PCs/NPCs/Location/World History. You could do this on small cards or on something like OneNote.

At the start of your session when you're waiting for everyone/goofing around, just refresh your memory and you're good to go!

congrats senpai

when it comes open it up and take a big whiff of that PHB goodness.

HotDQ is actually considered to be the by far worst published adventure for 5e.

If yall are already in it just keep it going, but from what I recall later on it gets a bit bad

Lost Mine of Phandelver, Curse of Strahd, Storm King's Thunder, those are all pretty good.

Out of the Abyss and Princes of the Apocalypse are good too from what I've heard, though I've honestly never heard about Princes

On the subject of note-taking, Trello is a great website for D&D notes if you don't have notecards or are just bad at keeping them in order or bringing them with you.

Okay, so out of this list of generic and monster race statblocks, do these sound good? Is anything obviously missing? Suggestions?

I want each to feel at least somewhat unique.

pastebin.com/A3yrhZJ3

Princes is pretty good if you have a DM who can improvise and runs dungeon crawls well. It's just very open, and there's a lot of different ways players can go right out the gate.

Why not Curse of Strahd?

Not that user: but all you posted was the cat girl race pdf with the planar handbook page on the cover. The fact that the pdf fit in the thread was easy enough for anyone to know it wasn't the real deal.

Lazy trolling isn't going to stop the reposter.

Not the guy who posted the earlier version, but the guy who posted the catgirl book was me.
The other guy posted a link, not an upload, that was the old version of the handbook.
You're mixing us up.

I hate my co workers. I'm sitting here because my bosses mom refuses to do any work during business hours, but also refuses to see clients if there is nobody else in the building. So I've been sitting here for two hours after closing time, babysitting for this ass, because she's afraid somebody will rape her ancient ass.

Then, to top it all off, she doesn't even conduct her after hours meetings in a timely fashion. For the last half hour, she's been taking about painting a dog house with these people.

And I can't say shit, because she's the bosses mom.

I say all that to ask this. Is basing antagonists for the pcs on assholes you know in real life a good or a bad practice? I can only think of how satisfying it would feel to imagine this person's death at the hands of murder hobos.

I can't help but feel that that post has earned you a spot on a watchlist of some kind

Try not to do that. They make for relatively boring antagonists.

We get that you're trying to troll the request user but you're going about it completely obviously.

I'm genuinely being serious but.. okay?
Enjoy your double agent backwards bait, or whatever it is you're trying to do.

Nigga, at least wait until the thread is removed from the archive.

>Into the Mists Edition
>No Question
>6 hours ago
We should have kept that thread, this one is beyond saving.

Link is dead user. This thread's still alive.

Arid Survival
In arid terrain if you make a Wisdom (Survival) check to forage for food or water you are considered proficient in the skill and may add your proficiency bonus twice instead of once

This sounds like I'm trolling but I genuinely don't care about this planar handbook so I never bothered to check if the other dude posted a proper link I just went with it
Sorry :^(

Not very likely as the plants, animals, water sources and techniques would be completely different from desert to forest for example

I'd say if you can find water in a desert you'd probably be able to collect it from a stream
"Plentiful" means "plentiful", there's no point splitting hairs

Hey champ I suggest you go hiking for a weekend without bringing food or water and see how long it takes you to die

Probably a day and a half

Especially if he didn't bring water. I live in the desert and fuck going hiking without at least 4 bottles of water.