Sup Veeky Forums. I'd like to ask you something. Namely, gaming pet peeves

Sup Veeky Forums. I'd like to ask you something. Namely, gaming pet peeves.

The kinds of things that don't automatically kick you into a frenzy, but tiny little things from other GMs and other players that annoy you without immediately making them That Guy or That GM.

One example for me: Indecisiveness. I GM a game of Dark Heresy 2nd Edition and my players often spend more time considering options, which leads to pursue in an investigation (I usually throw out several leads at any one time, which the players end up dallying about trying to decide on as 'the most prominent' or best option), and a general habit of nail-biting in the event they make the wrong call.

This drives me up the wall.

So what're your tiny gaming pet peeves, Veeky Forums?

>playing DnD laughing and getting along
>somehow politics come up
>whole game halts as people discuss this shit

I just wanna play DnD...

Have you tried not playing DnD?

My personal red flags:

> any alignments except neutral and good aligned
> playing a system with alignment in general
> playing kender, dragonborn, tieflings, or any other edgelord race including drow
> female characters played by males
> female players in most instances
> DM's GF / BF / significant other
> anyone with a dead sibling
> people with smaller than average dice
> people who roll their dice out of sight
> people who cheat
> minmaxers / rules lawyers
> GMs who think GM should always be god and never even questioned
> anyone who plays anything from Book of Nine Swords in a 3.5 campaign though that hasn't happened in years
> people who LARP
> people who play or have played World of Darkness.

I have some others but that is most of them.

> DM makes a bleak, "low fantasy" setting
> Being a hero gets you killed, because it's realistic and dark that way.
> Being a bandit and a piece of scum also gets you killed.

What the fuck are we supposed to do, when being a hero and a villain sucks?

That's more of a DM issue. Part of the gig is keeping the game going.

Find a GM who knows what fun is.

People rolling their fucking dice off the table every other roll.
It's really not that fucking hard to have it land on the table, just don't throw it like it's a fucking fastball and you'll be fine.
Had to house-rule that any die that lands off the table is counted as the worst possible roll, just so the players would stop wasting time have to pick up dice from half-way across the room.

I hate bad grammar in most instances.

>Indecisiveness
This is both a pet-peeve of mine, and a habit I'm trying to break as a player. We are presented with a problem, and naturally there is more than one solution to it. None of us can immediately agree on what action would be best, so we spend far too much time waffling about. Usually this isn't helpful, because any one method could have sufficed, and sometimes we forget to make whatever preparations we agreed on anyway. As a player, and not uncommonly the natural leader of the party, sometimes I should listen less and do more. My character will look like they're taking charge of the situation (for better or for worse), and at least it keeps things moving forward, and we're not all stuck arguing frivolously or twiddling our thumbs.

>Indecisiveness
jesus christ this
every time i go to my shadowrun game we spend AT LEAST half of the game making plans and doing prep work that we will ignore 100% of the time
we once spent FOUR AND A HALF FUCKING HOURS planning to assault a mega corp base and ended up DOING THE WHOLE FUCKING DUNGEON BACKWARDS making all of our plans useless

1, planning isn't indecisiveness. It's preparing.
2, planning is fun if you think otherwise you're a faggot.
3, it's entirely your/your party's fault you wasted 4 hours, you should've stuck with the plan

> Player comes with a character sheet
> "He's a fighter, you see, I've taken this feat and this feat.."
> But why is he adventuring? Where did he come from? What does he love and hate?
> "Uh, I dunno."

Yeah, I hate bad grammar to

>People don't like adventurers in this setting so everyone treats the PCs like garbage no matter what.

Fuck anyone who does this.

My DM does this. We literally saved the world, multiple people know this, but nobody gives us any respect at all.

> minmaxers / rules lawyers

I especially hate when someone else who isn't playing in your game comes by and does this and offers a bunch of his own "technical" suggestions.

Fuck man, this game doesn't involve you.

I just wanted to drop in and have fun with no endgame. Fuck me right?

>Why is he adventuring
>"Because he wants to go out and experience what the world has to offer"
There, much better than
>"Lol I dunno, but he's got improved trip tho"

Right. I don't want you or any other beer and pretzels players anywhere near my campaigns.

Players that sit there and play antisocial characters and expect the rest of the party to go out of their way to drag them along.

Look, I understand you want to feel wanted and valued, but you're achieving just the opposite by not participating.

> Players who create characters that don't want to adventure
Okay, I get that it's a classic refusal of the call trope, but come on. You've been killing minotaurs and raining fire and blood on people for 5 levels already now, it's time to stop playing Bilbo Baggins, who's too cowardly to go into the spooky ruins. It's comical at this point.

Players that always play the same character. A good friend of mine always plays characters that take 0 risks and would ditch you in a heartbeat to save their hides, commaradery be damned. It gets tiring playing with "our new characters and Dave" for the trillionth time.

Our campaing chews through about half a dozen chracters every session.

People pop up like rebirths in dark souls.

Holy shit, this. One reason I can't stand playing at our FLGS is because people come up and try to give their suggestions on builds and shit.

My favorite example was a regular at the FLGS trying to tell me how to play my Cleric when our group dusted off our old 3.5 characters to finish a four year old campaign after a two or three year break. As he continued to do this for 30 minutes while we were fighting a "I've gone crazy and have to kill everyone to save them" Elminster, I cast Miracle. GM Asked me what I was asking for. I just said "Make him go away." That particular person was never at the shop again while we played there.

There's really only two ways to go, at that point: either double down on the absurdity, or use it as the launching point to progress the character.

I pulled something of the opposite, as someone who romanticized adventure when he begins traveling with a band of mercenaries. One thing after another crushes his sense of idealism, as he experiences the harsh world outside of the protection of high society.

It's meant he's been disruptive in the party on a couple of occasions, but I make sure he stays useful.

As a heads up I don't play D&D, and I hate everything about.

Referencing alignment outside of D&D

Talking about the potential of their "build"

Contradicting GM rulings because they differ from the book

Whining about difficulty

Playing a character who can do nothing other than fight

Why not just roll them inside a box in the middle of the table? It's convenient, and doesn't make you look like a social reject with too much disposable income, unlike your average dice tower.

Whoops. Meant for

Being slow. I fucking hate slow people making Kasparov-tier faces while they decide if a magic missile or a crossbow bolt does more damage.
JUST FUCKING ROLL SOMETHING YOU FUCK.
Worse yet, at higher levels when spell/ability/positioning matters, they get indecisive as fuck, turns can take 5 minutes.

This, though thankfully it doesn't happen often, and it's dicepools so you godda be forgiving.
Be careful what you wish for. Great wish tho.