What's the best way to include giant monsters into a campaign?

What's the best way to include giant monsters into a campaign?

I guess it depends on the setting.

Fantasy? Hyperbolic rumors. Then skepticism of reports. Then eye-witnesses. Then player scouting. Then planning. Then arrival.

Modern? Television crackpot. Television reporter. Television politician. Rioting. Military. Then arrival.

Sci-Fi? Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. HOLY FUCK.

Make them cute girls instead

Literally as both boss battle and terrain. Players should hitting them with artillery and clambering on (sometimes in) them to find weak points.

Bonus points if they get their own monster or construct to fight the beast.

As for mechanics, lots of natural defenses, (parasite minions aka cloverfield?) huge sweeping attacks to prevent boring hang ups, and healthy dose of letting players unleash crazy bullshit ideas

>Only in ocean.
>Only in desert
>require cold so only in really high altitudes or poles.
>need moisture, so only in large swamps

Just like in reality.

Giant cute girls?
user stop, that's my fetish.

Don't stat them unless your giving players a means to beat them.
Remember if you stat it, they can kill it.

Same way you handle the terrasque, if they try and fight it and they don't get party wiped then you did the encounter wrong.

Oh god. Something like that happened in my last game.
Some spooky giant brass lizard monster automaton had crawled up from the depths of the Earth after our dick of a BBEG woke it up. It killed three human armies, a dozen dwarven ones, and a shit ton of Elven refugees before we got to it. We were supposed to sneak inside of it and shut it down from the inside.
Instead, we 9/11ed that bitch. With a magical airship. Full of bound elementals.
Shit went to Hell pretty fast.

>we 9/11ed that bitch
wut

I recognize Biolante, Space-Godzilla, Mothra, Mecha-Godzilla, Ghidorah, but not the one under Godzilla with spikey hair.

Drove an aircraft into it. Its been 5 years, its ok to talk about it.

I think she's Battra

Basically I said "9/11ed" because we hijacked it first.

I'm planning something similar for 5e. Drow warp down from the moon and decide they want the earth. They unleash a horde of monsters to bide their time in order to birth a tarrsque.

>Drow warp down from the moon and decide they want the earth
>warp down from the moon
>warp
>moon
You have my attention user

Make it part of an invasion force.
For a part of a campaign I was working on there was a colossal flesh zombie/giant/thing that was marching from the far swamps where it was built through the dark fey forests to the city of gates where an ancient lich was putting it under siege. The PCs would have to find some way to fight this monster that stood taller than the City's own walls lest it fall to the siege.
>Sadly the campaign group broke down before they got to this part
They would've had three options to fight this thing that might've worked unless they thought up something better than the rumors they heard which were
>Two clans of Giants rage war against each other in the mountains to the east (Do something?)
>Stories of a colossal bronze skin titanesqe being to the north have come in with traders
>Tales from the dwarven quarter tell of the refining of the legendary Golem Forge thought lost to time.

Sorry to disappoint but I was thinking more a godzilla meets Eva feel. Lush tropical rain forests. Elaborate, dense urban areas on staving off an annihilation so razor fucking edgy a snail crawls across it and doesn't get cut.

The real question is, how do you do mecha to fight the monsters without getting bogged down in rules wank.

Simplest way is to build everything on a normal scale, make it be so that the mecha evens the size disparity between you and the monster so that you can fight it like normal. Decide what abilities of the PC extends to the mecha, and what things the mecha itself grants. Then run it as a normal encounter.

Thanks user.

You don't. You go study how square-cube law works.

Giant monsters are retarded. They would collapse under their weight anywhere, except for infantile "muh dragons and elves" patchwork shit settings.

>Sci-Fi? Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. HOLY FUCK.

I'm running a Space Opera Western and I'm doing moreso your Fantasy approach.

Te tallest of tales were meant to be seen for yourself, not on a light-box.

it's Battra, because opposite Mothra

Also the biggest head on the bottom is Destroya, but that one's not so obvious as it's just process of elimination.

Exactly, I know nothing gets my creative juices flowing like bogging my thought process down with questions about physics.

That's a common misconception. There are plenty of organic materials that have the strength to weight ratio for a giant monster to not collapse under its weight. The actual problem is that those materials don't have enough strength that the moment forces from such a long limb moving won't cause the monster to tear its legs off if it tries to walk. Same with ripping its arms off it it tries to hit you. If the monster wants to stand perfectly still that's fine, but trees are giant organisms that stand perfectly still and very few people are afraid of them.

Think you mean 15 years senpai

How could a system like FFG's Star Wars handle giant fuckhuge monsters?

I understand it struggles to even manage spaceships... But I'm curious if this could be possible still.

Also I'm talking really big, like... Two to three times the size of a modern skyscraper.

Like natural disasters. Something that's unstoppable, but can be hedged against and prepared for.

The real question:
Who is best girl?

What?

The queen of monsters herself of course

Get your sizeplay magical realm out of here
I bet you like vore faggot

If I wanted sizeplay, I'd make it a giant mermaid or something, not a giant monster.

>giant mermaid or something, not a giant monster
There's no reason it couldn't be both. The leviathan was one of the original giant monsters.

All the time, or do the cute girls turn into giant monsters in a kind of magical girl transformation sequence?