What are some cool encounter/monster ideas for a tar-pit region? The land is imbued with a lot of fire energy...

What are some cool encounter/monster ideas for a tar-pit region? The land is imbued with a lot of fire energy, and since it's super dry, I'm thinking of having something similar to a Black Pudding, except disguised as a water pool. When one tried to drink from it, they get engulfed.

Party is all levels 4-5, they have a level 7 warlock with them though.
There's a Necromancer, an Inquisitor, a Rogue, and a Fighter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hr4knvNNgtU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm thinking possibly Giant Striders? They'd made decent mounts, I think.
Also, one of my players is an entomologist, so any vermin would be cool too.

Skeleton dinosaurs escaping from the tar.

That would actually be awesome, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I actually have a huge fossil collection and shit, could use some of those as props/for minis.

Tar-pit elementals.

Maybe you want topost a system with that? The results from 4e, PF, 3.5, and 5e will be VERY different.

That makes it even more awesome.

I like 3.5, but I'm willing to try and convert cool enemies to 3.5.

Haha, finally, something useful I can do with it.

Hm. What would that be similar to? FIre? Earth? Water?

Maybe like that tar monster from TNG.

What does this sound like:
The skeletons of dead animals are possesed by elemental fire energy, creating terrifying, psuedo-undead creatures emitting fire.
(i.e. instead of being normal fossil things, they're also passively on fire)
Sorry if that sounds dumb, this is my first lorebuilding thing.

Believe me, the image of a skeletal T-rex emerging from a tar pit with a skull and ribcage full of fire is fucking awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=hr4knvNNgtU

Cool! Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
Also, one of the knights orders tames mounts in each "zone", I'm thinking:
Giant Striders (Perfect since they heal from fire and water is poisonous to them-- they'll drink the tar)
Camels (Although less well adapted to the tar pits, they can live very well in hot, dry areas, and need little water. They can also be used outside the zone.)
and possibly a pack of hellhounds or something else-- I'd like at least 3 possible mounts for that zone, any ideas?

So I looked it up, he's some sort of god who feeds on pollution? I'm not sure that would fit, but the appearance looks great for a sort of tar-based shapeshifter.

The appearance was more what I was implying, but even so...
Tim Curry is always relevant.

Ah, that's who played him.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you meant literally him, but it's a great concept! Reminds me of a Man vs Wild episode where the guy got food and water from some random tribe-- possibly have one of them pretend to be human and offer them water, only it for it to be toxic tar.

Also, is there any template for changing a monster into undead?

Have some ash choked druid/necromancer-y guy who's dug up a lot of skele-animals.

Like, they get to a part of the region where a lot of bone animals are wandering around, most of them hostile. Some of them trying - and failing - to eat living wildlife.

Then have them stumble upon the guy resurrecting them, who's trying to find his lost dog by resurrecting every single thing in the pools.

There are templates for different varieties of undead. Skeletons, zombies, and variants of each

That would be amazing, yeah!
The whole point of a lot of shit is to "terraform/colonize" the areas, so that would be a great obstacle.

Ah, all right. Thanks!