When you bullshit your way through an entire session...

>when you bullshit your way through an entire session, haven't done any preparations and the players think you thoroughly planned the entire thing and start to wonder what alternative paths they had
>player asks "hey user, could we have done THIS or THAT?" and you answer "yeah sure, you could have"
>they think that you have spreadsheets and notes full of paths, locations, NPCs and items
>what you have is a blank piece of paper on which you sometimes pretend to scribble down some notes
>it's just random circles squiggly lines

Your players know you bullshitted everything.
They can tell you didn't plan.

You can get away with that in bullshit games like DnD where the setting has no depth and the interest of the shit-tier players is focussed 95% on combat encounters.

Won't work for good games with complex settings and/or rulesets.

>when you bullshit your way through an entire session
Not sure if I would feel any joy from this. I mean, it's basically what I already do 5 days a week for the living. My games of pretend should be escape from that...

1) Not always
2) Even if they did realise, did they have fun? If yes, no issue.
Snob.

Feels good man.

You improvise campaigns for a living?

No they can't. Someone from Veeky Forums might. But the regular player just doesn't spot the bullshit if someone can bullshit really well. I can make up interesting stories of something that happened to someone somewhere on this planet on the spot. I've done it multiple times in conversations as an ice-breaker or just to keep a conversation going of someone had something interesting to say on a subject.

Not saying it's the best way to do it, but if you can't bullshit your way through a session with no preparation other than having the book on hand, you don't understand the setting/system well enough.

Non-combat stuff is even easier to pull out of your ass. You can tie up players for hours with politics and bickering with NPCs if you can put social obstacles in front of them on the fly.

>Snob.

Having standards doesn't make me a snob, but your lack of them does make you a pleb. :^)

>an user so uninteresting and unfufilled they has to make shit up in casual conversations

That's pretty desperate desu.

No I improvise administrative work. But it's about the same - lot of number crunching and listening to people's made-up stories.

Bait needs work.

Not him, but are you kidding? Anyone with an imagination (who isn't socially inept) can bullshit others. Some people can even make a living out of it. You'd generally refer to such people as "politicians".

The difference with off the cuff rp is that you don't need to crunch numbers. You just go by rules of thumb.

>players decide to take a train to another country
>they want something exciting to happen on the train ride
>bullshit my way through Murder on the Orient Express: Pokemon Edition
>no one has read or seen it.
>plot twist at the end
>Woah, we did not see that coming.
>Minds: Blown.
>Can't wait to see what you throw us next week!

So glad they forget I do improv at the local actor's theatre. Comes in handy when I'm a lazy fuck who doesn't plan for shit.

Please enlighten us, oh wise one.
What are some good systems, and how would it be impossible to improvise a session in one?

Your players didn't know Murder on the Orient Express...?
Lucky.

Inb4 GURPS

>Squiggle notes on paper
>Next session, can't remember any of the NPC's names or any fine details of the plot

It's pretty obvious, senpai.

>Improv means bad memory
Well meme'd

Yeah, they're not very cultured. One of them legitimately thought the Icewind Dale series was on par with Of Mice and Men.

When we were talking about young adult fiction and I mentioned Scott Westerfeld, one of my players replied, "Didn't he wrote The Hunger Games?"

They're not very bright, but I love them.

Do you have memory problems? Because it's not hard to remember names, places, etc. And we game every week, everyone forgets fine details.

Honestly I think I'd love them too. Feels like you could pick up almost anything and pass it off as your own. Sounds great.

Edgy

No, edgy would be saying that improv DMs are psychotic and their groups are dancing meatbags juddering to their master's tune.

Saying "politicians tend to be dodgy" is fact.

Unsure if relevant but in my current DnD game the main thing I'm interested in is the combat. I feel like this is because all the dm has said about the world is "yeah, it's just like a generic fantasy thing" so I don't feel engaged at all.

I wasn't implying that. I think it's great that you improv at a local theatre, and I hope you find a good use for your Film & Video Studies degree soon, but don't think that your players don't know when you pull shit out of your ass and it ends up falling apart mid-session.

You made more baseless and stupid assumptions here than I care to refute, including my identity.

>>player asks "hey user, could we have done THIS or THAT?" and you answer "yeah sure, you could have"
That question is obviously a polite test to see if it was really bullshit like they all thought it was.

The level of salt from guys who can't improv is Dead Sea levels.

It's hilariously easy, too. You can just watch some Who's Line and try a couple games with your friends. Questionable Impressions and Film Noir Scene are great places to start.

Improv GM is the only way to GM. Plebs who can't into improv spend hours each week creating dozens of story-paths, NPC's, locations, only use a tiny fraction of them, and even so, the party inevitably destroys their house of cards with one of the infinite number of paths they didn't think of.

This isn't some huge secret you discovered: you've just graduated out of being a shit-tier GM.

>It's another "plebs think 'improv' means 'I can pull whatever shit I want out of my ass and my game won't suffer for it'" thread

Never change, improvfags.

Nah, even in GURPS you can bullshit if you know the common advantages/disadvantages and average characteristics and SL a certain type of NPC would have. Hell, I can't remember the last session I've properly planned, it's so much easier to just say. 'Yeah, this dude probably has to roll under 13 to do this.' Ruleset doesn't matter, you can very well bullshit anything in any system.

I'm sorry you had a bad improv DM.

But not everyone who improvs does it badly.

>Go into campaign with nothing but a half baked idea
>having to make everything on the spot
>I'm completely fucking bombing
>constantly have to look things up
>At one point I have to politely ask my players to not kill an important NPC
>campaign ends
>thank fuck
>players thank me for the game
>they all had fun somefuckinghow
>mfw

You can bullshit effectively even in the crunchiest of systems around.

I never have any session planned, the best I have is a few statblocks I printed at work when I was bored.

>players know that I don't plan games beyond a general idea of what I want to happen that session
>every once in a while they get ahead of me and I need a few minutes to replan
>players are cool with it and go get snacks and shit

casual roleplay is best roleplay