Board Game General - /bgg/

/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's your personal favorite game?

What's your main group's overall favorite game?

Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!SoAD0ZpT
mega.nz/#!KoImRRYS!h1eeaOjt8wey8Zc9SdNryufuP33sEabJtyyJScXgU-I
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/death-angel/
play.boardgamecore.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What's your personal favorite game?
N/A
>What's your main group's overall favorite game?
Cosmic encounter
>Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?
No but seems like a fun task

I have way to many games I really like to come up with 'one' favorite game. My favorite category is apparently 'Space 4x' as I own 6 or 7 games in that category alone.

They like the lighter games so far - I'd say Citadels was a hit. That said, I'm slowly working them into the heavier games.

>Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?

I can't say I've seriously tried my hand at game design. I have considered researching / writing a book on the history of ancient board gaming and comparing with modern gaming design of the last 20 years or so.

CitOW
Right now, Scythe. Before that it was Machi Koro, before that was Ticket, before that was Puerto Rico.
I have an odd group.
I'm in the very, very initial design stages of an asymmetrical area control set in the post-apocalyptic Mojave desert (between the Confederated Californian Community Protectorate, Mr. Hues and his army of wooden robots, a mysterious one-man-army postman with the backing of various local communities, and the Legion) (suck it ZeniMax you can't trademark Roman-inspired post-apoc warriors), and a mission-based point-to-point drafting game set in the solar system as described by Flash Gordon in the Nameless General.
I'm taking physics and compsci and I work part-time so I don't have very much time to devote to this.

>literally a board game about colonizing savages
CSI's recommendation engine knows me so well.

>personal favorite
How can you do this user? How can you possibly ask me to choose a favorite game from my collection? They're all my babies, and I love them equally it's probably CitOW.

>main group's favorite
Fuck those cunts, I no longer care what they think. Gonna find me a new group to game with.

>dabble in design
Tried to make a Caribbean corsair game. Concept Had pick up and delivery, contracts, loot, ship upgrades, 4 naval powers, safe havens and other stuff added. Then we realized Merchants and Marauders existed, and dropped the project.

does anybody have an idea about the printing/availability status of chaos in the old world?

I know its kind of an unknown factor to the general public at teh moment, but i do recall some anons being from ffg and whatnot so figure its worth asking... the thing is so hard to find for a reasonable price, even used it's over 100 bucks :( and it looks really amazing

two threads back I believe there was a guy claiming to be from ffg who said they planned to do one more print of the big gw games before february, and you can bet that chaos would be included in that if it is indeed true.

If anyone on this thread is willing to part with their CitOW box I'll pay $10+shipping for it.

>implying the box itself won't be worth 30+ eventually
I don't have a man rubbing his hands together greedily, so this will have to do.

>I don't have an image
Veeky Forums 102: you can paste an image's url into the "choose file" browser to post it from the internet.

or you can
>happy merchant.jpg

Or you can go to /pol/ for all variations on le happy merchant maymay

anyone know what edition of I'm the Boss this is?

did you find it user?

Would've sworn I had the whole thing, but I only found the free one with the first mission in my drive, sorry. Found the suka blyat translation, digging for scans, will post if what I find.

I hate to sound so bland, but Cosmic Encounter. It's a solid idea that's easy to teach and dabbles in a little of everything. Best yet the idea of the destiny deck completely destroys the annoying idea that anyone is targeting anyone in major ways without separating the players completely.
Magic the Gathering. The fuckers can rarely be pulled away from MtG to every play boardgames with me. Every time I think they're about to get bored, they start discussing "Oh, look at how amazing this new set looks! This is the most fun set yet!"
My friends tried to do it. They wanted to make DnD but with cards. Their complete lack of cohesive focus made the whole project fall apart.

thanks mate,if you have the hd images that'd be great.

>personal favorite
I hesitate to say it because I still haven't really played it THAT many times since I got it, but Millennium Blades is just...really fucking good. It's theme is spectacular, it has just the right amount of depth vs complexity, tons of content, etc etc etc. Even when I lose, every time I play it I come out of the game having enjoyed myself immensely. Once the expansion comes out and the co-op/solo scenario is available, it might fully cement itself as my number 1.

Realistically though, my personal favorite off the top of my head would have to be either Forge war with a group or Mage Knight solo. Forge war is also absolutely fantastic solo, but you can't really beat Mage Knight for a solo game imo.

>group's favorite game
Again, probably millennium blades, at least currently, but we're partial to a few others. Red dragon inn isnt the group's favorite necassarily but it gets played a lot. The reason is namely because while the core group is me and 2 guys who can handle a heavy game, we occasionally get other people to join in for a night and have to break out the lighter stuff, and RDI has just enough to it that it keeps us entertained while being light enough that we can get the newbies into it. We also play a lot of sentinels of the multiverse, and there's never really been an objection to it, so there's that.

>dabbled in game design
Yes. Not very but I'm working on it. Long story short, it's a deck-builder, but everyone starts with character specific powers and decks, and can upgrade their own abilities along with their decks as the game goes along.

Eurogame - Dominant Species
Ameritrash - CitOW
Wargame - Triumph&Tragedy

Can't say as we have one favorite game in particular.

Nope.

Aw man that's so hard, but I'm really tired and just list the first three that come to mind : Shadows of Brimstone, Escape : Curse of the Temple & Suburbia
I believe everybody loves pandemic
Yes, quite a few times, I have a few half finished rules lying around on my hard drive. Farthest I ever got is a fully playable prototype for a Saint Seiya themed deck building game but I think it feels way too much like a mash up of Star Realms & Legendary.

Telestrations. Always a hoot.

One of personal favs that we always bust out: Dixit.

Codenames ain't bad either.

>I believe everybody loves pandemic
That started out great, but it doesn't seem to have longevity.

I was talking about my group, I dont think anyone is tired of it amongst all my friends, and we played it a bunch of times.

A tie between twilight imperium 3rd edition, or Summoner Wars

Well, they all really like Ti3, but also dig 7 wonders, Sheriff of Nottingham, and chaos in the old world. So I am not sure

Yes, tried to make a card game where two players assembled mechs and tried to blow up the opposing factory. Shamelessly stole the two deck idea from Legend of the 5 rings, and could never figure out how to make combat satisfying. It either favored attacker, or was miserably clunky, as weapons had ammo, would overheat, or were melee and therefore had no restrictions but had to be weaker overall. Nevermind all the status effects, combat tricks, and faction synergies I threw in. I am also rather poor in math, so that did not help balance at all.

And today, I get to have a game day with friends in an hour. I am bringing
Sherriff
Innovation
For Sale
Evolution
Codenames
Dead of winter (at their request)
Sushi Go!
And Battlecon.

But now, as I prepared battlecon ( I have almost everything, which is ridiculous to bother bringing over), I hunger for solely the fighting game. Perhaps I can convince them to spend a few hours duking it out...

How am I gonna do?

Eclipse.

Codenames.

>Have you ever dabbled with designing a game?
Yes.

>If so, how far did you get through the process?
Not very. I have some mixed ideas for mechanics and themes, but nothing concrete.

I myself have never played it, and have no incentive to do so. My wife played it once, but that was while she in in school to be a health inspector, and she played ti with a bunch of fellow health inspector students, so it was the topical thing to do.

She said it was ok.

Android. the boardgame
assymetrical game where you need to get your guilty hunch convicted while innnocenting your innocent hunch. in the meantime you have to deal with the real life of your investigator and find out the conspiracy.
you can win by a lot of way.
then there is horus heresy chaos in the old world and fortress america
mysterium a game where a ghost send vision to medium to find out who killed him. it s based on interpretation (color details on the card etc etc)
lolno never

what do you guys think of games that include leaving the table for secret negotiations? diplomacy and fief are the only two that come to mind. I think it's a neat mechanic, but I could see how people would dislike it, especially if they tend to be left out of the deals.

Bring fewer games.
Bring only Battlecon, Sushi Go, and Dead of Winter, since they requested it. Eventually they'll have no choice but to play it, unless they want to spend all day playing 2 games.

bleh dead of winter
i m not a fan of those survival zombie game
i would rather play a game like mare nostrum if i had to play for 2/3 hours. but well it s not a coop game.

Damn, Plaid Hat did a good job scrubbing the storybooks from the filesharing sites.
Proving to be a lot harder than I thought.

You might have better luck on the next PDF share thread. They have lists of mega upload sites so you might get lucky there.

this is a test

mega.nz/#!SoAD0ZpT

World in flames, a strategic level WW2 game. Monstrously long and complicated, but damn good. Lots of strategic depth and great balance.

The same.

Well, I've done more game editing than I have actual game design from scratch. A while back, for a high school history project, I made a game on the battle of Concord, which was good enough that a few of the guys would play it even when I wasn't dragooning them for an assignment. But I don't have it anymore, didn't think to make a copy board or pieces, and as far as I know, my old HS still has it, unless they've thrown it out.

I am currently, and very idly, no set schedule or timetable, working on a game where you have a !NotByzantine empire in the middle, surrounded by 6 Barbarian players. The Empire wins if at the end of the game they control 80% or more of their starting provinces. The Barbs win if they have a certain amount of gold at the end in their strongholds.

The thing of it is, the Barbs get 1 big lump if they sack a province, but can't generate much gold beyond that. The Empire, on the other hand, can. If the barbarians all gang up on and attack the Empire, they'll crush it, but none of them will get enough gold to ultimately win themselves. What is supposed to happen is a diplomacy+military game where the Empire shifts alliances and pays out gold to the barbarians to get them to fight each other, or at least leave him alone.

In practice, I keep running into a problem that the Imperial player simply picks 2-3 barbarians and puts them firmly in their pocket, and wiping out or withstanding the others, who promptly win. I've been experimenting with mechanics to make it harder to do that, mostly involving having to transport the gold, but it's not going great.

As a total aside, I've recently gotten back into Freedom In The Galaxy. If anyone's interested in a game over vassal (I have a module), or just learning how to play, I'd love to show the game off. It's pretty long to play though, and can be a bit rough if you don't know what you're doing.

You have it encrypted. No one can download anything without the decryption key.

>Freedom In The Galaxy
I think I remember that game - it came out in the 80's?

79 actually, but close enough. But yeah, it's the blatant star wars ripoff one where you have a band of rebels vs the galactic empire and you have a lot of really neat political and movement rules.

>everyone keeps saying chaos in the old world
I want to try it now and im kicking myself for not securing a copy for 45 when i saw it.

yea its asking me for a decryption key too

Is posting the key safe?

just make the file public instead

what happened man?

Ah, screw it.

mega.nz/#!KoImRRYS!h1eeaOjt8wey8Zc9SdNryufuP33sEabJtyyJScXgU-I

Gonna kill the link and delete the file when this thread gets bumped off the board. Or sooner if my paranoia pings too hard.

FFG will PROBABLY have a print run of all the shit they're losing rights to around Christmas. Just call your LGS every week and ask them to preorder it.

Anyone here played food chain magnate before? me and a few friends are thinking about getting it and were wondering if its worth the $80.

What's your personal favorite game?
>Super Dungeon Explore
What's your main group's overall favorite game?
>Kingdom Death (on tabletop sim)
Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?
>a little bit, a designed a were-wolf style game in the theme of The Thing. I stopped when i realized i was developing it more like a video game than a board game

>buy scythe and get super excited to play it, spend all day at work thinking about how much fun it's gonna be
>everyone cancels at the last second
o-oh, okay...

Why not just play Diplomacy?

because his idea is different enough and sounds interesting?

That sucks. I hope you get to play it soon.

I hope so.
Too bad i dont know any good local gamestore around my area unless i go into the city for jew prices

thank you so much user

Afaik we only have one in my area...way out in the wealthier white part of town. Everyone else is SOL.

>Hear Mansions of Madness sold out
>Amazon has it marked at $150 because of the shortage
>Depressed about it because I really wanted a horror game to play and my group has only played Arkham Horror, which while fun was a horribly flawed game
>Dropping by LGS to pick up dice
>They had one left on shelf for $90

My luck man, I tell ya.

visiting my LGS tuesday morning hoping for something similar but with CitOW

lol i doubt its gonna happen but eh its worth a try! besides, theres a few things i wanna pick up anyways so i'll leave happy one way or another haha

>How do you find gamers/a group, user?

I mean, i have friends, and i have a quasi group... but not really actually i dont have a group in a way... i basicaly just get people to play with me lol

I think im on my way though, some are catchin the ol bug and asking to play.

But anyways, just wondering
>what do you guys do or how has your group come to be.

Also bonus question
>do you game in shops? How is it?

you should prolly delete the link now.
anyway how is mice and mystic?
is it a dungeon crawl vs the GM or a coop game vs the game?
is there a lot of replayability or is it terrible like andor?

>How do you find gamers/a group, user?
>what do you guys do or how has your group come to be.
Don't really have a "group". A bunch of my friends like board games, and I keep introducing new people to them.

>do you game in shops? How is it?
Nope, I used to hang out in a few board gaming shops and just HEARING people play magic the gathering, Warhammer or heroclix completely turned me off trying to play in a shop. I know that not EVERY player will behave like an asshat, but I dont even want to risk it.

its a coop game with a campaign,very friendly to beginners. theres a limited number of tiles and the expansions are only stories,without any new tiles AFAIK.

why does he need to delete the link?keep it up for people to use

Battlestar Galactica. But A few acres of snow is not far behind.

I don't have a gaming groupe per se. But generally they play whatever I bring with me.

I began to design a boardgame but eventually dropped it. I am currently taking notes on another project, chances I'll never finish it either, but we'll see.

These days, I prefer people do that via text or IM while still at the table just because it slows things down, but if we're talking about a long game to begin with s'cool.

>out in the wealthier white part of town
Got me thinking...
Modern boardgaming seems not to be penetrating into some sectors or communities, but remains a hobby for a small niche in the middle class, though it's gaining momentum.
It was geeky and uncool. Why would the cool kids spend an afternoon chucking dice socializing with the losers? Like roleplaying, it was a refuge.
I was a sheltered inner city kid, always had boardgames around, but what about the other kids, the poor kids? Neglected and left by the TV, played in the street, forced to grow up a lot faster, no time for being a kid. Lot of 'em ended up as juvenile offenders. No time for play when you're trying to survive, I guess. Different priorities for money.
Could something as trivial as a board game have had an impact on people's lives?

I decided I wanted to make it happen and spent several days asking people, relaying messages, and generally doing logistics until I found a day of the week/time that worked for everybody. While not everyone who was part of that original group stuck around, I've got a consistent 3-7 players and if someone new is interested in board games it's nice because I don't have to scramble to get a group together, I can just invite them to my weekly game night. I'd say we've been going for about 3 years now, though some of that has been D&D instead of board games (but we added a smaller, second night for board games only).

BattleCON organized play preseason starts this week. Are you going to your local BattleCON night?

I like Battlecon, but I dislike everything surrounding the game for some reason. The thought of playing it competitively is laughable to me.

>is there a lot of replayability or is it terrible like andor?

Heh! Pic related...

I was 'bad' this weekend. Bought Space Hulk Death Angel and all of the expansions for it.

So are you stupid or did you find amazing prices somewhere.

Looking at this it looks like it's more for fun than competitive. The special objectives especially

Plus who doesn't love free stuff

In theory, could you just fake everything to get the free stuff? Are they doing any verification whatsoever? I might do this if I can call my weekly board game session "Organized play" and get free shit for playing with my friends.
It's nice that it seems to be more of a record of your plays rather than an ELO ranking.

dovetailing off your comment, space hulk death angel and the mission pack and tyranid pack are available directly from fantasy flight. who knows how long it'll last. I know I've seen a surprising amount of interest in the game over the last few threads, so maybe this'll help someone

fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/death-angel/

ive been looking for this for ages cheers mate

there's nothing to be paranoid about. the key is completely random and unique to that file, not to your mega account or to your ip or anything like that.

I don't fully see the use for having the decryption key like that. if it were tied to your account, then you could post tons of links out in the open, and only share the one decryption key with people you trust and then you'd never get things taken down for copyright

how are the expansions?
I got the base game recently and played it once, solo. felt like it was decent but at the same time idk... feels like as a coop it'd be too difficult, i dont understand the whole "not showing cards but allowed to talk about them" concept. the idea i get from it is that everyone sorta works their own thing out but can share simply if they plan to move attack or support (plus who/where) and nothing else about it.

anyways, anybody try them expansions? recommend or nah?

I've never played it coop, but if I did I would ignore those rules. they're stupid and add nothing worthwhile to the game

I've not played the expansions, but from what I've heard the deathwing marine pack is overpowered, has artwork that doesn't fit with the base game, and is overall just not good. the regular space marine pack makes the game a bit easier, but is actually good and worth looking into. heard only good things about the mission pack, although the card backs are different from the base game and I've heard they can be harder, but at the same time they have more interesting things to do (locations to activate), and finally the tyranid pack is good but only get if you feel the game is somehow too easy. it ramps up the difficulty by a lot

>space marines pack makes game easier
>tyranid pack makes it harder
Sounds good.

Fantastic game well worth the money (even when I ordered it directly from the Netherlands for $130), but know what you're getting in to.

Expect 2-3 hours, especially with the early games and especially with more people. It can run longer if people don't know what they're doing (that is, they get in a downward spiral of lowering their prices with no one knowing how to break the lock so the bank never runs out).

The game is not the most difficult game to learn, but there is a lot of material to cover.

It is very possible to get fucked over with no chance of coming back if you don't know what you're doing. Either tell everyone that ahead of time and roll with it or look up basic strategy.

You could also try a game or two on play.boardgamecore.net/ which is very easy to learn the game from (to the point where I would even recommend doing so -- it will handle all of the math for you which may bog down your first few IRL games).

As far as I know there's no rule about private groups, you just need to meet the point minimums according to the player sheets. You could forge the sheets but that sounds like a lot of work for some freebies

I'm looking to add to my collection. What games would you recommend that are NOT:
-dudes on a map
-euros
-co-op
-social deduction/bluffing
-Deckbuilders

Weight doesn't really matter, as long as it's fun, though preferably no microgames. Also, preferably plays at least 4, though 2p only games aren't completely out of the question.

Should I get Forbidden Stars even if I only have a passing interest in 40k? I feel like it'll be one too many games in the same genre, but I hear it's really good and I don't want to pay $300 down the line when it goes out of print.

Grab it if you can, leave it in the wrap until you're sure, resell it in a few years if that moment doesn't come.

>I'm looking to add to my collection. What games would you recommend that are NOT:
>-dudes on a map
>-euros
>-co-op
>-social deduction/bluffing
>-Deckbuilders

Pic related? There isn't really much left with all of those restrictions. I can't even suggest 'Twister' because it's 'literally dudes (and dudettes) on a map... "I only eat foods that don't cast a shadow". Good luck.

lords of vegas and chinatown maybe?

those are some pretty heavy restrictions mate

Those are a lot of NOTs but it could still be narrowed down.

What do you have/enjoy playing?

I'm currently really enjoying Tyrants of the Underdark, but I will always be a sentinels man.

Hard to say, I go to a big university and my group is pretty big. Probably Avalon, if I had to answer.

>Have you ever dabbled with designing a
game? If so, how far did you get through the process?
I do this all the time. Ideas just happen, and I never follow through with them.

>no co-op AND no bluffing
>no dudes on a map AND no deckbuilders
My best recommendation: coin flips

No but seriously, if you add
>no microgames
>at least 4p
I honestly can't think of a single game that fulfills all these criteria, do you have any examples?

Also, I would be really interested in knowing why you don't want any of the things you mentionned, and how a board game can be made fun without all these things.

>Fuck those cunts

Why don't you take a seat and tell us your story?

Most of the games I own fit your requirements (people who think there are no games left didn't actually think too hard). I don't have an objective measure of fun but Las Vegas and Medici actually produced lots of laughs last weekend which was absolutely refreshing. Other ones I recommend
>Bohnanza
>Cartagena
>Cutthroat Caverns
>Gravwell
>Medieval Academy
>Welcome to the Dungeon
>Wits and Wagers

>So are you stupid or did you find amazing prices somewhere.

Yes!

I.E. it's a matter of your perspective. I picked up the whole set for $100 - at $20 an item it's less than retail for the core game, and more than retail for the 4 expansions. That said, the Ebay crowd is listing the expansions at anywhere from 2x to 6x above retail at the moment. I only expect the prices to become more stupid in the near future.

I enjoy a lot of the genres on the list, I'm just trying to find things that either I don't have any/a lot of, or that nobody in my group dislikes. Personally I dislike combat-heavy games and co-ops, and one of the core members of my playgroups hates euros, which are probably my favorite type of game. I like Deckbuilders a lot, but at the same time I could play Dominion literally forever and I have yet to play a deckbuilder that comes close (though I haven't played Arctic Scavengers yet). As for social deduction/bluffing, I've got resistance, coup, and Sheriff of Nottingham and while they're fine, they've been overplayed in our group and I'm kind of burnt out on them. I guess, ideally, to make everybody happy I would want some sort of engine building game with *direct* conflict, but either where losing doesn't hurt you that badly, or where winning is mostly based on how well you've built your engine as opposed to how tactically you've positioned your dudes, and without much hidden information.

Thanks! I'm sure that there are at least a few user's who will like snagging these without spending an arm and a leg to do it.

did you guys know you can play secret hitler online at secrethitler.online?
just checking it out, it's quite fun even if it's text only

Hm, maybe it falls under the dudes-on-a-map category, but how do the COIN series of games fit? On the heavier side I suppose, up to 4 players controlling 4 factions with different abilities and win conditions, card-driven and with potential deals/politicking/backstabbing. So far there's COIN games covering the conflict in 90s Colombia, the Cuban revolution, the Afghan war, the Vietnam war (heavy as fuck apparently), the American Revolution (heard this one is so-so for 2 of 4 factions), and the Gallic revolt against Ceasar (more combat oriented compared to the others).

Then there's Churchill which is a pretty heavy 3-player game where you get to "roleplay" Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill and their respective staffs during their conferences during WWII. First, debates over various issues with regards to the war and post-war status happens, done with cards representing staff members. Then theres a simplified fronts map where you conduct the actual war and post-war influence efforts. Of course, rather than dudes on a map you get chits on a map... (no hexes though!). It has a pretty interesting end-game criteria where winning by too large a margin will instead have you losing, as the other two powers would probably team up against you given the political state of the world post-WWII. Also a pretty heavy game.

Still trying to pick my entry point into COIN, haven't found one that clicks perfectly with me yet, partially because of how little hidden information they use.

Survive might work, though if you want to play 5-6 you're gonna need the expansion, but it scales really well no matter the player count.

If anything I'd say the amount of information on display makes the game that much harder, trying to figure where and how an opponent will perform an op/special action, and how you can potentially mitigate, avoid, or sabotage it. Good fun though!

Most people recommend Cuba Libre as the go-to entry game, as there's no lines of communications to worry about and the map is really cramped. Also supposed to be the shortest of the COIN games. I've only played Andean Abyss and Falling Sky, so I can't really comment on CL, and I've not had the opportunity to play them more than a few times total, but I'd probably say they're decent entry points as well, though with a bit more mechanics to worry about than CL. AA has a larger map and LOCs which do add another degree of potential analysis paralysis, and FS has a medium map I suppose (which still manages to feel cramped), and leaders added whose proximity is required for special actions, and in our games had more combat than AA.

I'm *very* intrigued by Churchill. How long would you say the game takes? I'm not sure if my group can handle something that intense if it's longer than, say, three hours.

Can anyone name an actually good co-op game? I've played a ton of them and they've all been a let down other than pandemic and Hanabi and those got old after one or two playthroughs.

Race for the Galaxy?