Non-crypto thread

How do I find the next big thing to hodl? Anons say they heard about Bitcoin back in 2008/2009, but through what channels? Is Arxiv and the chans the best place to look? Also post companies doing interesting non-crypto things itt
> Graphene
> Renewable energy
> AI/machine learning
> Big data (big meme?)
> Robotics
> Battery tech
> Biotech, genomics
> In home healthcare
> Dudeweed/cannabis
Other non-crypto ideas are also welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_FrOQC-zEog
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Buy lithium and copper

Bump because I am curious how I might go about investing in weed if possible. I live in Portland so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I've... I've never really done anything outside of crypto and this savings plan thing I got.
Also, need more threads that aren't crypto yeah.

Anyone use Robinhood?

Good idea, ty user. Buying a commodities ETF and hodling seems like a safe bet with good returns. Lithium-ion is going to be the mainstream for at least a decade, given how slowly industry is moving wrt new battery tech.
Welcome, welcome. I know some anons were shilling Canadian weed stocks like Aurora, can you buy shares in a Canadian company if they aren't listed on the NYSE? Maybe you can find some way to open a Canadian account with your bank? Where there's a will there's a way.

Cobalt

Empty Jack DanielĀ“s Casks in USA
Tequila and Mezcal in Europe
Bourbon Whiskey in Asia and Europe

Don't invest in cannabis. I've been in the legalized industry since 2009. A lot of gross profits, but between taxes, licenses, and fees - and the fact that you can't deduct any sales expenses because of IRS 280-E - there's nobody making real profit. There will be one day when regulations catch up, but that won't be until after some major consolidation in the industry with most (if not all) the current players selling out or going under.

I'm a leaf, so we are stuck with Questrade or a bank
This sounds possible. A quick Google search says that at least a few people agree with you, so I'll give you that. Do you see any upside in the cannabis market? Growth, increased profit margins?

IF YOU'RE READING THIS, YOU'VE BEEN IN A COMA FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS NOW. WE'RE TRYING A NEW TECHNIQUE. WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS MESSAGE WILL END UP IN YOUR DREAM, BUT WE HOPE WE'RE GETTING THROUGH.

If you want to be ahead of the game, you should invest in water. Do some research into the funds and indirect assets that are tied to water supply.

youtu.be/_FrOQC-zEog

People were asking this same exact question at the top of the 2013 bubble.
The truth of the matter is that crypto is just getting started and literally all you have to do is not give up on this space and you have the chance to become rich, either off coins or the companies in the space.
Stick around, keep your mind sharp and your health good.
If something else comes along that is more important than crypto, you'll hear about it without having to look too hard for it.
For fuck's sake, Bitcoin had an article when it was only 1 dollar on the top news site of the time, slashdot.
You really don't have to look hard for things, you just have to pay attention and always want to be on the move upwards.
I don't know why I am giving this advice out for free, I don't even know you guys, but fuck it. I wish someone told me this in 2013.
Good luck.

pic related

Just wish I had listened to advice like this sooner, I kept assuming it had reached the peak as well. Finally bought in August and am up $140k since. God bless you user.

I'm all in crypto. A couple months ago during that one dip, people on discords and community groups were giving up and wanting to cashout and take a long break from the space.

All these relatively new people dont know the pain of being aware on and off since the beginning but not taking full advantage.

My Whiskey investments are doing not badly. >50% over 1.5years.

The numbered bottles are a finite resource

I first came across BTC in 2011 but didn't think of it as an investment until 2013, by which time I assumed it had peaked. Better late than never dude. 2018 should be an incredible year for gains.

Huh. Thanks user. I'm getting verified on QuadrigaCX tomorrow or Tuesday, and then I'll be able to throw some disposable income at this thing. Iron hands are ez when you aren't risking the shirt off your back.

I'm also really interested to see if this decentralization/platform trend we've seen with AirBnB, Uber, Facebook, Bitcoin etc can also translate into the energy sector. I'd fucking love it if decentralized energy grids could become a thing. All we need is an out of the box solar panel + vanadium battery setup and we're good to go.

Just remember that the market is very volatile. I don't know if we will see another period of great pain like we did after Gox but just keep the long term vision in mind always. The people who manipulate the prices know what they are doing, it's all mindgames. I don't know if you came in after the fork but that's another thing to keep an eye on as well.

Pain is the best teacher

Price swings are tough mentally no matter how much you have in there, just be ready for it. There's some basic primal psychology at play that is hard to shake at times.
When in doubt just make sure to write down your goals so that you don't do something silly in the heat of the moment. Have something written to refer to.

On that other note, decentralized energy sounds nice. I think that Tesla/Solar City are trying to corner that market. We'll have to see how the battery packs pan out. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

>Iron hands are ez
Just wait until your portfolio starts shifting 60k in either direction within the same 24 hours.

You get used to it, but in the beginning I was a wreck.

Agreed, I keep a lot in fiat as well in case something like this happens. Helps to keep me sane during major dips.

I bought post-fork because I listened to the FUD, but I held through the China/Dimon bullshit and 'the flippening', both of which were fucking terrifying to me at the time. The recent corrections have been bliss in comparison.

Keeping fiat is a good strategy. I'll keep that in mind for the future. Right now my plan is to try and maximize gains though, I need to play catch-up a bit.

Yea the recent corrections haven't been bad. No telling what the future holds. Would be interesting if BTC bled hard right before Christmas. Would be a strange holiday feeling.
As far as the flippening is concerned, I think that threat will never go away as long as BCH has the larger blocks and lower fees. There are too many people who like that kind of idea so the threat will always be there.
It would have been optimal to get the pre-fork coins and just let them fight it out but since you bought post-fork you have to decide for yourself what the right path is.

Just want to add I'm a physicist so rub shoulders with a lot of tech in their early stages. Hydrogels are gaining a lot of hype recently in contact lenses, batteries and medical uses

I feel the same way but I'm glad I have managed to stack a good amount of BTC, just wish I could've got 21. Not gonna risk trading to get there though.

Definitely, I was tempted to buy some BCH but never did as the price continued to rise. Things were getting scary when it got to 0.35 BTC, but now it's back below 0.1 I've calmed down a lot, hopefully it'll stay that way for a long time.

I have a few BTG which I will be keeping indefinitely. Aiming to cash out ~70% of my holdings if/when BTC reaches $100k though.

>hopefully it'll stay that way for a long time
People are working very hard on both sides of the issue to prove that statement either true or false.
careful about choosing sides due to emotions and investments.
market decides the winner, not hopes and desires.
I wish us all luck though.

Very true, I should probably scoop up a few while the price is 'relatively' low. I tend to purposely get tunnel vision with BTC so as to not swerve from the ultimate goal of cashing out though, to avoid being distracted by whatever bullshit FUD happens to be flavour of the month, whether it's the Ethereum flippening (despite ETH/BTC serving different purposes) earlier this year, BCH, IOTA claiming to dethrone BTC in the next few years, etc, etc.

Can end up wasting too much money and energy and spreading yourself too thin, but I suppose it's good for peace of mind in the end.

get l& OP

Would SEC arrest me for insider trading on Veeky Forums?