Is it just me, or does making your villain a hammy saturday morning cartoon villain always make games way more fun?

Is it just me, or does making your villain a hammy saturday morning cartoon villain always make games way more fun?

Where did "saturday morning" part come from?

Skeletor, megatron, aku, megabyte?

Having them be some grandiose spectacular showman about their evil always adds flavor.

Aku was fantastic because he was an asshole %90 of the time he was on screen, and the other %10 he was being an evil bastard.

So yes, when done correctly, saturday morning cartoon villains are always better than some crappy edgy villains or a 'misunderstood' one.

When your villain represents a concept (chaos, greed, nationalism, etc) as opposed to being a person with fleshed out sympathetic motivation is changes the story in a way which is actually pretty helpful in rpgs. Because the story is no longer man vs man but instead man vs an idea there is no focus on fleshing out the antagonist, they are a driving force for conflict who is there solely to challenge and allow development for the hero to take place, for rpgs this is actually quite nice since it puts the focus on the PCs and their character's attitudes towards the concept the BBEG represents.

This.
Even a sympathetic "grey" villain cam be great if they have stage presence.
That's why hammy villains work so well, because when they show themselves, you know something is about to go down, instead of some weeb on the verge of tears staring your party down while reciting some poem.

villains in kids shows that aired at that time

I think it can help make for some light-hearted fun.

Ham is always fun.

by setting an apparently monothematic character it's way easier to introduce occasional quirks that provoke what people can perceive as fun, yes.

>monothematic
And overdramatic
Ha cha cha cha cha cha.

It's the entire reason I like playing an Infernal in Exalted. Because I have an excuse to be a saturday morning cartoon villain, and for it to be perfectly justified.

To clarify user, saturday is the first day off school each for most western cultures. The implication is that it was a time slot good for channels with cartoons, and valued by the more popular shows for viewership. as opposed to running to school, the time between 7-10 in the morning would be time for a kid's favorite new airing of an episode.

this was before streaming on the internet was so easy.

Because overblown dramatic villains make EVERYTHING better.

And, frankly, I love the old saturday morning cartoon aesthetic. I hope one day to run a campaign of it, with a hilariously over the top villain and a theme tune and a party of 'our panel of eight year olds thought it was cool' powers.

I find those sorts of campaigns where you choose a really specific genre which everyone at the table enjoys and then focus on emulating it to be the best

Not taking characters too seriously always makes thr game more fun

>tfw I almost thought you posted Speed o' Sound Sonic.

Aku is far from Saturday morning cartoon villain though Samurai Jack aired on Friday Nights.

and Aku actually won sometimes

The rest of the group loves them too, but I never got to watch them as a kid, so they'd end up nitpicking.
Maybe on IRC, but then I can't do the hammy voices.

I really want a villain like Skeletor in the live-action He-Man movie, but I can't even write acting that hard.

"Saturday morning cartoon villain" isn't a literal description, it's just a general type of character.