Malifaux general

"Skitter, skitter and scratch. Here comes the Bandersnatch" edition.

>Books
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - not yet; if you have scans/pics please post.
Book 4 card pics: imgur.com/a/vJ5g0 imgur.com/a/tjdx4

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Last thread:

Some topics to get some discussion going;
How'd your last game go?
What are you painting up at the moment?
For those of you who've read ripples of fate what do you think of the new fluff?

>What are you painting up at the moment?

Oh shit, it's mod user. Post more wips!

I had a game yesterday, I was using pandora. I won but I felt really dirty afterwards.
Anyone else normally avoid using certain masters because your group just doesn't have fun playing against them?

I felt like that with Jack Daw and the Viks for the longest time and ended up playing Von Schill way too often. I realized that I wasn't having any fun though.

So it's hard to, but you gotta play the masters you like. If opponents seem salty, then play to the venue. If it's a tournament, then it's on them. If it's more casual, offer to tell them some of the weaknesses of your crew or what they could have done to mitigate your effectiveness.

On a sidenote, what is Pandora's weakness? I only played against her once and aside form Hannah throwing her to the void for a turn I didn't do a whole lot.

If you can actually manage to land a hit her she's actually really squishy, also taking sutff with high WP helps a lot.
The best way to deal with her is probably blasts at a distance as she's quite short ranged.

Thanks user! I've often wondered. Again, I only played against her with Von Schill because, at the time, I felt bad about playing Viks or Jack.

Thank Stones I came to my senses.

On a sidenote, small confession, but the reason I love the Vik Slingshot so much is that I'm imagining that it's one sister clasping her wrist and flinging her into a group of enemies to finish the job.

I know there's a trope for this or some gifs but I can't figure one out for the life of me. But the question is, what abilities seem really cool to you guys when you think of it as a visual?

Last game, I had 1 activated coryphée 14" + 38mm or so away from an activated perdita at half wounds. And it was my activation, and every other enemy on that side of the table had already activated. So I take my other, unactivated coryphée, and walk 7" to be with 2" of the allready activated coryphée, and within 12" of perdita. Then, they dance together, placing the newely summoned duet in base contact with the active coryphée, within 10" of Perdita (who did not place her finger on the trigger), and swift + slow = 2ap, and 1" engagement range + Cg9 equaled in one dead perdita.

The coryphée duet is my favourite unit.

I love Corphee, I play Collodi though so I've never used a duet before, just one is scary enough

>The coryphée duet is my favourite unit.
I wasn't ever particularly impressed with them. They seem pretty fragile for a 14pt unit.

But that might be because I play Gremlins, and I can get blasts and pulses everywhere.

They're more than fragile, even with their silk and steel, but they hit really hard, with + to hit/damage, 3 ap, and a trigger that gives - to df/wp.

How are they doing the conflux and avatar cards for the new masters? Where will you be able to get them?

I commented on this in last thread but it died before I saw a reply:

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to effectively run Brewmaster? He seems like he could be a fun addition to my Gremlin crews and his theme is awesome.
But, on any forum or discussion I've seen, it always seems like going heavy into his thematics (Moon Shinobi, Trixibelle, Fermented Monks) is a trap.

That's all well and good because several masters fall into that camp (looking at you Tara) but I've never seen a suggestion of what you SHOULD do.

Ignore his bubble and use another ability? 10T models only? Gremlin only?

He seems like a lot of fun, but if ignoring all his mechanics is the only way to be effective, I think I'll just save my money for when Zipp is released to the masses.

His biggest ability is to hand out negative flips. Negative flips are way more potent then positive ones, since they shut down cheating.

Mostly you want to take some scheme runners and some beaters that will take advantage of the negative twists to murder otherwise difficult to hit models.

Ordered some stuff off ebay recently. Do you think this'll be good?

10t
Brewmaster
Binge
Running tab

Wesley

Fingers
Drinking problem
Smoke grenades

Moon Shinonbi

Fermented river monk

Shadow emissary
(Conflux of getting hammered)

Dawn serpent.

Currently working on the judge, I regret picking black it's such a tricky colour to work with.
I'm not sure if the gloves would look better brown to match the hat and add a bit more colour to the model or maybe leaving them black.

There are none. They are waiting to see the new masters relative power levels.

I don't really like Lenny all that much. I much drop him for his points in scheme runners.

Other then that it looks pretty good. You might be relying heavily on the Emissary for punching stuff.

I think they would look better brown. Are you going to do the boots brown too?

>Are you going to do the boots brown too?
yea I am

I want to play Burt, but hate his scultp. What are the odds a gender swapped mod would be tourney legal?

depends what you're thinking of doing, getting a model from a different company wouldn't fly at most tournaments but if you just convert up a female one from existing wyrd minis you'd be fine.

I just won a game as Colette against Pandora - feels double good man, that Paralysing shit was driving me up the god damned wall last time.

By mod I meant chopped up Wyrd bits. That's most of what I do with occasional heads/abdomens from other lines.

Rumor has it they're planning to do a Gremlin multi-model kit for TTB. No idea when though, but likely after the gremlin book gets released.

>What is Pandora's weakness?
Seconded.
Her "Wp for Df" = Push Df trigger are annoying as all fuck.

The last game I played against her, I did basically all the damage by Blasting off nearby targets, who also had Black Blood, and Mechanical Dove-bombing her.
Didn't kill her, mind, or even actually stop her doing what she was doing.
Scared the shitout of her though, which kept her away from my Lady.

>silk and steel
>I can get blasts and pulses everywhere.
I think that's it - you need to know, or at least have some idea, whether there's going to be flat damage-generating stuff out there, rather than Df-able stuff.
And even against the right crew, they're for surgery, not brawling.

I say this as someone who plays Colette but has never actually used them himself - I've just seen them a few times and read/heard a lot about how they play. And stared obsessively at their cards. They look so much fun. Especially with Prompt.

>Negative flips are way more potent then positive ones, since they shut down cheating.
This.
Never pass up a chance to put your opponent on Negatives, because it takes a huge amount of control out of their hands.
Unless they're the fucking Brewmaster and co.

I agree with brownanon.

I'vejust checked up on a couple of rules and found that your opponent CAN cheat against your Red Joker when you cheat it in - it's only when it flips naturally out of the deck that it cannot be cheated.

At least half a dozen folks in my group have been doing that wrong, and had games live or die on it, me very much included.

Bugger.

Been playing some Divergent Paths games, and had a rules questions for user

If a Samurai has Favour of Jigoku (and so cannot be damaged during his activation) is he immune to damage that occurs at "The end of his activation"?

Specifically in this case, getting mauled by the Righteous Werewolf-man

I'd say no.
Is the Wolf not worded
>if anything ENDS it's activation within 5", place woofman in base contact and then do a damage flip
or something similar?

Either way, his activation has ended when you reach the damage flip.

Hey OP thanks for making the thread don't know when the last one died.

>How'd your last game go?
My last game was a Tara Vs. Lynch game which was awesome/brutal at the same time, I think it cemented Lynch as the master I dislike most, not because I don't like his fluff, but I think he's difficult to play against even with a new player.
But that was a week ago, I went up to try and get a game in and our normal group of folks weren't to be found, trying to get a game in with my newly painted Daw crew. The two guys there played a game then scramed, and someone talked to me about a commission.
>What are you painting up at the moment?
Well I've got a Brutal emissary commission someone wants me to do up ghostly so that's a quick $10. All I really have to do it make a base for it.
Other than that my current projects are:
Von Schill and friends: primed, with some bits painted
Iron Pariah levi: Primed, need to start Brown washing the machines to rust 'em up real good.
Brotherhood of steel Freikorp: awaiting miniatures
Odds and ends in the outcast faction.
then I think I'm gonna finish my arcanists (considering I have a Dark carnival crew coming in that I'm going to make the "store" crew as we already have the full papercraft carnival)

what do you find difficult with Lynch? he seems pretty middle of the pack as far as master power levels go.

I dislike how I have to disassemble him piece by piece by piece, especially with the rising sun being in play. I'm not a fan of his mulligan bullshiterry. Especially if you opponent isn't braindead and doesn't hold onto the aces from the previous turn. Not a fan on how easy it is to blow something's asshole out with 6-8 damage reliably (with the proper aces of course) Just a lot of stuff I don't like about him personally. I think his fluff is great, just don't have any desire to play him even though I own him and it feels like everyone around me is picking him up due to his simplicity.

brown was definitely the right choice for the gloves.

I really wouldn't play on poison so much and prioritise getting Yin. The Moon Shinobi are very Meh even if you wouldnt have to get the Running Tab, Fingers is very scheme dependent and even then very expensive, and I feel the Shadow Emissary never quite measures up against Sensei Yu with the Brewmaster. Basically get Yin, Yu, a strong beater and maybe some TTB or Komainu or something.

Which brings me to;
For at least TT Brewmaster, ignore poison and that bubble. If it somehow happens, it happens and that's great, but what you're actually gonna want to do is Swilling and Binging and maybe the rare Obey. Which are all huge, btw.

Especially if you have a Yu in there somewhere, a fast Brewmaster can either put 2-4 enemies to Swill 1/2 or Binge it 4 times after Yin has -'d that Ca/Wp, draining their hand so completely while also destroying/paralyzing/etc whatever you're targetting.

Some people get distracted by the 6" bubble; his skills have a range of 12". That's 25" across. Whatever he tags your crew should be able to completely crush into dust, while whatever survives can't touch your crew even if they wanted. A - to everything is so insanely strong. The biggest downside is that you tend to have to activate the Brewmaster first, though I guess that's what Wesley's for.

For me, he's the most fun master in the game. He doesn't quite get that huge spectacular move that wiped the board or stuff like that, but he definitely knows how to control those moves other models want to make.

I'd say Lynch is definitely top 80%. He's not much of a schemer, though he brings enough firepower that you can pick just about any crew just to fit the schemes, but if a pool suits him and his niche he is absolutely insane and just evaporates crews.

As I posted in the last thread
alright I'm 5/0/0 with brewie and this is the list I run with him.

The Brewmaster -- 3ss
+Binge - 1ss
Apprentice Wesley - 3ss
Francois LaCroix - 7ss
+Dirty Cheater - 1ss
+Stilts - 1ss
Lenny - 9ss
+I'll Love It And Pet It... - 1ss
Performer - 6ss
Rooster Rider - 6ss
Rooster Rider - 6ss
Trixiebelle - 8ss
+A Gun For A Lady - 1ss

Alright, so This list has a bunch of movement tricks, lures and obeys
Turn 1 I like to toss Trixy out with lenny and then take a walk action with him. (unless I toss wesley out, but it's usually not a smart thing to get him too far from Brewmaster.) Trixy goes reckless and gremlin lures lenny, Frank, and Brewmaster, After that you move the performer and try to keep her close to brewmaster. Rooster riders run up the flanks to go scheme running and pick off any would be antagonists. Now you have options with brewmaster and wesley, you can either obey stuff like Frank or trixy to take shots, or if the opposing crew is particularly weak start luring their scheme runners towards the scrum that is gonna go down in the middle.

Turn two, you'll probably want to activate Brewmaster first here and have his (0) drinking contest start. Then start binging the opponent's hand. Discard discard discard. each one they pitch is a card you don't have to worry about in the long run. At this point you can either have wesely try to binge or obey, but you need to keep him away from being shot so that you get your backup brewmaster should the original die. Frank, Trixy and Lenny form a Pretty fantastic firing line, with the free Ram trigger from Lenny, Just take care not to let frank die before he's made at least 9 points of stuff dead.
(Cont.)

Riders can run schemes in the backfield or harass a weak target (I like hans) I find they work very well when they Can't conga line into your own stuff.

The performer can lure stuff or if you have a crow and someone is loaded up on poison (say by trixy's buy you a drink or Failing a bunch of actions around brewmaster ) you can declare the "Sip of wine" trigger for a psudo expunge.

If no one wants to come towards the brewmaster you play a small ranged game forcing them to discard cards every turn while getting points for controlling the middle and running schemes.
IF they want to try and bum rush him Francious, Lenny, and trixy can quickly reposition to keep him safe. In fact I would dare say unless there are blast masters on the other side of the team its sometimes smart to huddle up in a drinking party.

Brewmaster is a damage over time tank that makes his crew better due to his obeys and card manipulation. He ain't gonna win any close combat awards unless it's over a couple turns. So don't throw him out there unless you absolutely have to or he has backup.

Tried out that new Low River Monk upgrade the other day. Holy moly Peaceful Waters makes them great.
4 SS for a decently survivable minion with condition removal and healing is really handy.

Seriously though.

How does Dreamer Summoner work? He summons shit with 1 HP left, and he has to take an upgrade that costs 5SS to do it. And another 2SS to get accomplice so the summoned nightmare can heal. But then he is still there with almost no HP and (probably) slow.

What am I missing?

sheer quantity and ease of summoning. Since if you're doing it right you'll always have the +masks on casts, this frees up the stones you'd normally spend on guanteing the summons on removing slow from your stuff. I use dreamer a lot and the one HP thing isn't really an issue, especially since if needs be you can just heal what you summon instead.

They really went from "Why not just take Chiaki" to "Why take Chiaki", huh.

Then be sure to summon more than 7 SS worth of models. He works by not needing any resources to create his summons. Being able to spawn even just extra activations out of nothing is amazing. The regen is nice, if it's important you can always give it stitches, or just make more; it's all icing on the cake that is being a nightmare factory.

Plus, you can use it to get a free Lelu and Lilitu out and easily up to nearly full health, for the cost of just 2 11+ cards

Chiaki's still got a couple of things going for her, but the suitless healing is pretty great.

Also this. I know people knock Lelu and to a degree fair enough, but summoning one turn one has never made me regret doing so. And if you need to you can summon some spares back in.

Lelu just got a free buff too. +1 Def and card cycling for free.

Not on ones you summon though and I can't think of any time i'd hire one normally, that free upgrade or not.

I've seen them used with Lilith sometimes. Probably mostly for thematic reasons.

I've used the twins together before in normal games with Lilith and Pandora. It's mostly for Lilitu and bringing the lure along, though they can also share buffs from the black blood shaman. Might be one time it's worth taking the Student of Conflict for double fast.

I'm also using them in my currant Shifting Loyalties campaign and loving Lelu's new upgrade, seriously might even be worth paying for him in a dreamer crew to get the card cycling.

Putting together brewmaster tonight, theorying out a crew to run with him.
Any thoughts on:
Brewie -3
+Misdirection 1
+Peaceful Waters 0
+Binge 1
Ama no Zaku 9
+Hidden Agenda 0
+Recalled Training 1
Yin 8
Jorogumo 9
Oiran 5
Komainu 5
Tengu 4
Low River Monk 4
5 SS Cache

What is the policy for using proxies in tournaments? Would I be OK making Guild Guards out of the TTB multi-part plastic kits, or would I have to use the actual figures?

Not seeing the specific roles of the Jorogumo or Oiran. I mean the Ml5 vs a - is doable but even so I'd imagine there's better options than Gumo. And the Tengu should generally go in pairs to make them really worth it.

Naturally I'd suggest Yu because pushes+fast brewwie is amazing, though a bit heavy on stones. Maybe Graves as budget Yu but... Or just Izamu because you can't go wrong with Izamu. And TTB's of course. A Shadow Effigy if you need to save up an SS.

I've been meaning to try Yamaziko out with him. No idea how that'd go but blast 3 vs a - should be a nice addition. As would the master tactician if you can swill their leader.

On that note, the Pathfinder is a decent pick with his traps tying up more than they should if you can get one into their swilled faces and also blast.

Also Misdirection is 2 SS.

I only just played my first two games today and I have a quick question.
Nurse's special rule 'Accomplice', If I was to have two nurses walking side by side, being careful to always stay within six of each other, could I infinitely hopscotch the two Nurses?
Or can I not use Accomplice from a Chain Activation?

My opponent told me I could but I only used it once in the end to power walk them across the battlefield.

Only two activations in a row, so one Nurse activates, one Accomplices, and that's it, your opponent moves even if you have a dozen of nurses in the same place.

Thanks.
I thought it was that but guy who offered to teach me said I could do it infinitely.
Still lost though as I kept getting to caught up in combat and forgot about the objectives.

You can't activate a model that has already activated unless it has reactivate (which is limited to once per turn per model).

Chain activations are limited to one so you can only ever activate 2 models before the other person gets to activate unless they ran out of dudes.

>I kept getting to caught up in combat and forgot about the objectives.
That happens to pretty much everyone when they first start playing I think.

And they just changed it that reactivate companion/accomplice shenanigans are no longer possible.

No more Luna: super sword fighting dog adventures.

Arcane Reservoir were talking pretty big about it, yeah.
Sounds like TT just got a fuckign enormous boost this wave, maybe far beyond the others.

Gonna finish painting my Hamlin crew this week. Only really got the skin and hair left to do on the main crews and then a wash of the dank ass sewer water wash I make.

I have the Tara box coming in the mail and I might pick up von shill's box after work today. How well do their units work together? I haven't had a chance to play yet.
Are there any other single units I need to pick up?

Void Wretches are solid scheme runners, and various freikorps dudes are useful in most lists. It's more likely you'd run freikorps in Tara lists than Void Wretches in VS lists though (since von schill as a master likes strats/schemes where he can ball up in the middle with his korps boys, and void wretches like schemes where they can run around on a flank and repeatedly put slow on anyone that tries to stop them.

Would Lazarus work well with each crew leader?

Lazarus isn't a bad option for Tara, but in general she wants beefy melee beaters, while Lazarus is kind of a ranged turret. Lazarus loves Von Schill.

Hi, can somebody explain me how summon is working in this game? Does it cost any points ( in roaster ) or it is free? And how many times i can summon one model
per game. Especially models
like Lord Chompy bits.

All summoning has specific rules laid out on the cards. The only common element is you gain slow when summoned.

Most summoning works by a model using an ability.
It doesn't cost any stones to summon a model, the only limit to what you can summon is if the model has rare X on the card.

That's not even a common element. Asami and Karina don't summon things slow. The only actual common element is that summons can't take interacts on the turn they come in.

Nico really doesn't either.

I did it guys! I'm 0-6-1 with Brewmaster now! It extremely close. I'll do a short story time because i'm so excited I didn't lose again.
Here are some short highlights
>Turn one rooster rider charges and kills his flamer dude and necropunk
>Brewmaster dies once on turn 2 dies for good turn 3 without tarpitting anything
>Second rooster rider charges his henchman (some dude with an assault cannon thing) and proceeds to get fisted by him
>Moon shinobi run around and collect heads
>Fingers does maker shenanigans and tricks my opponent into thinking I took convict labour when I actually took leave your mark
>Turn 4 fingers is my only model left and fails a terror duel because of a black joker
I manged to get 3/4 of the heads that got dropped and played objectives ending in a 7-7 with none of my models left on the board. Brewmaster didn't do much but the terrain was really whacky.

What makes you think asami's summons aren't slow

I got a thing. I don't play neverborn but figured it'd be good trading fodder

I think he might be thinking that because they can charge the turn they show up.

Yeah, that'd be it.

In general
>Doesn't cost anything except AP (and often soulstones for specific suits)
>Model comes in slow, unless it specifically states otherwise.
>Models summoned cannot take interact actions
>You can summon as many times as you like, and the same thing multiple times
>If you try to summon a Rare character (such as Lord Chompy Bits) and it would take you over the Rare restriction (1 in the case of Chompy) the action fails

They can't take interact actions at all? Or just the turn they are summoned ?

Oops. Just the turn they're summoned

just the turn their summoned

Not going to disagree, the Low River Monk is amazing now, the new Terracotta Warriors look fantastic, and that Death Pact upgrade looks terrifying.

Just wanted to check I'm reading it right- if it ignores restrictions and doesn't count towards upgrade limits, does that mean Death Pact can be attached to Minions?

So have you guys ever not liked a model then gotten a different sculpt and now want to play it?

Happened to me with Kaeris today, bought a metal box for the arcanist gunsmiths and the fire gamin and the old sculpt of her is fantastic. I like it so much for than the new one for some strange reason.

Bump from the brink

How should I play Gremlin brewmaster if I don't want to play with the performers?

I just don't want to buy 4 model box for just a single master.

I would say the same in a couple of cases. For example the old Nekima is much larger and has a much more dynamic pose, which I like. I can see where you are coming with Kaeris. She looks much more homely and clean, while the current one's pose and jacket just don't accent it as well, even if it is more dynamic.

Gadzooks gaming you can just get the master and totem

Sort of. Rushed to grab the old Lucius model. Didn't like the new plastic one.

It's also something about the face of the new one I don't like.

I got that guy in a big box of metal faux stuff. Sad to say I'm not a huge Lucius fan but he does round out my neverborn faction.

So how do I into Ramos?

Langston and Joss are easy picks. Then what? Large Archanids? Some Spiders? A Metal Gamin? Cophree?

pls halp, what to take at 50SS

More spiders easily. You are going to be flooding the baord with them.

Yes, but how many spiders is enough spiders?

Is there a new Pandora figure coming?

The old Colette and her three Avatar forms.
I really don't like the plastic one, she looks to much like a prostitute.

Not my minis by the way, my paint job is much worse.

I say theres never enough spiders!
Go into your garage and catch a bunch.
Then just throw them on the board!

I don't have the book yet, laptop is at home and PDFs hate my tablet.
Can I an Emissary and Effigy of the same name in my crew?
I'm planning my next few purchases but I've been told that you're not allowed both at once.

>I really don't like the plastic one, she looks to much like a prostitute.
Unlike the crotch-reveal front pose, pole-dancer-bending left one of the tiny hotpants rear one?

I think the plastic version looks astoundingly taem compared to the metal models.

For exmple. I have summoned chompy bits. He doesn't cost any points ( not AP ). Then he die. Can i summon it again, because there isnt now any Chompy? And if i have in start of game in roaster Daydreams. A paid for them 6 points in roaster. Then they all died. Does it mean that I can summon them for free again?

No that's the malifaux vintage. This one happens to be a plastic version of the Pandora Avatar. I'm hoping to sell or trade it for a well painted Yan-Lo for my brother or something.

So I picked up Ripples of Fate for a friend today, and could probably post stuff from it in 1-2 h if there is any interest.

We already have stuff from it. All we need is a full blown scan.

Would you be able to get an image of Parker's wanted poster that I'd be able to use as a poster? Really want it up on my wall but the ones so far have been too shitty to use

On another note, I've learned why Jack Daw is a bad choice against the Viktorias now

Holy shit yes. And most Ressers / Neverborn / Gremlins have a much better style than the new ones, even if I had to deal with "Wyrd cannot into metal".

Alright, just curious.
Pic related to your liking, or do you want me to try to get a better one?