Is a shit game better than no game at all?

Is a shit game better than no game at all?

I keep telling myself this Veeky Forums but it's so hard to believe these days.

It honestly isn't, dude. The only good thing about a shit game is meeting other cool dudes stuck in the shit game.

Sometimes if you can't find a DM, it's best to take the hit and offer yourself up. You may be surprised to find it can be fun. I was.

Having done both for long stretches in the past I'm going to say no game is better. Just catch up on some other hobby until you find a new group

A shitgame can ruin the system or hobby. No game can make you desperate enough to take matters into your own hands and handle it yourself.

On the opposite, no game is better than shit game.

How shit is your game OP? Any worthwhile cringe stories?

There's two types of shit games:

1) Funny bad shit, where the ensuing madness and disregard for general sanity makes for a great greentext or even general conversation. Good if you have nothing else happening at the moment.

2) Boring shit. Don't bother ever.

There's this limit to how much shit game you can take. Usually gets filled up over the course of several years during a shitty 3.pf campaign. After that you can make a clear choice of no game over bad game.

>Spend 5 hours doing whatever you want
>Spend 5 hours wanting to kill yourself
No game is better.

>as if OP has anything else he could be doing
Seriously, if he is honestly thinking a shit game is better than none that means thats like his one and only bit of social entertainment he has access to.

You know solo games are a thing, right? Solo board games, war games, card games, and rpgs have been around forever. No need to put up with that shit at all.

If you're not enjoying yourself or actively working toward future enjoyment it's not worth it.
Apply this to every aspect of your life to achieve enlightenment.

Need story.

I'm going to make the claim that unless he's physically stuck in a building cut off from the outside world with an insane DM there are other sources of social entertainment than RPGs

Such as?

No, it's not. Read a book at the library, listen to a podcast, study something, watch something on Netflix/Hulu.

If i wanted to be bored to death i'd rather due it among people similarly suffering such as a shitty tabletop game.
ALL options given are worse than my previous option.

Let me put it this way: would you regularly set aside hours of your leisure time to do something that you hate?

Video game>no game>shit game.

>this nigga don't read

No game is far better, even if it is just playing some vidya, at least you are doing something fun over sitting in a room not enjoying yourself when you are supposed to.

I read it. You said a shit game ISN'T better than no game then listed shit vastly worse than shit games.

Depends on how shit the game is and how much you want to play a game in the first place.

Most of Veeky Forums will say no game is always better, but then, most of Veeky Forums has never even played before to begin with.

>this nigga can't even read internet posts correctly, much less a book

Seriously, if you don't think reading a good book can be every bit as exciting and engaging as a tabletop game then I don't know what kind of game you are even trying to play. Most of us are here trying to tell a story. The dice are just our co-author.

No. You only get so much free time in your life to enjoy yourself, why would you squander it on bullshit?

OP here. Didn't realize this thread would still be alive.

I'm afraid I've got no stories lads, none worth a shit anyway. This game lis literally full of the cliches: awkward DMPCs inserted everywhere, egregious and nonsensical fucking homebrew (made only because he doesn't know the fucking rules and won't learn), asshole GM who won't listen to feedback. It's the guy's first time GMing, but he's decided he knows better than the rest of our group and that his only objective is to make us suffer. It's boring, and the storyline was shit anyway.

The thing is this is my only group. I'm more of a 40k guy myself, I don't RPG often. I could probably split off with a couple of cool guys who are just as sick of his shit as I am, but it'd be a while before we would be able to get anyone else to join us.

The awkward thing is these guys are my friends. They're even good people, just this GM in particular is just beyond shit at that job specifically. It's why I've held on as long as I have. Even now I don't know how well it'd go down if I walked out. The rest of the group might implode. Should I still do it? I want out of this shitty game, but...

Are you an adult? Do you have some disorder that prevents you from being capable of making your own decisions? Are your friends mentally unstable to the point they would harm themselves if you decided you weren't going to participate further in an activity you didn't enjoy? Are they so narcissistic that they would break contact with you over your decision to not participate in an activity you weren't enjoying with them?

Seriously, think about what you're saying.

>Are they so narcissistic that they would break contact with you over your decision to not participate in an activity you weren't enjoying with them?
Yes. Did I mention the GM's ego is so huge it has its own gravity well? He insists all of my problems with the game are personal attacks on him and would go ballistic if I walked out. Whatever though, I guess I'll chance it and see what happens. I suppose it gives me a reason to look into running 40kRPG after all.

Thanks for the insight, Veeky Forums.

Your life shouldn't revolve around this person's ego. It's unhealthy for both of you.

A shit game is keeping you from finding a good game
no game > shit game