/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous session

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/180382/Spawning-Pool-of-the-Elder-Things?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0
docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No topic? How about this

What Class would you most like to see made into an Archetype?

Tinkerer type thing for Wizard, because I want to make Clokwork.

Existing class? Ranger

Of other games? Some of the Pathfinder classes like Alchemist or Witch.

In general? I want a "swordmaster" monk that uses Ki to enhance their animu sword fighting, possibly an entire weapon master that focuses on a group of non-standard monk weapons.

I'm building a character. It's a third level variant human battle master. I want them to wield a whip and be competent.

I have a pretty decent build (Sentinel, whip and shield, superiority dice to augment damage).

However, the idea of dual-wielding whips is hilarious to me. Would a dual-whip-wielder be humongously underpowered?

I'd love some Alchemist love.

>In general? I want a "swordmaster" monk that uses Ki to enhance their animu sword fighting, possibly an entire weapon master that focuses on a group of non-standard monk weapons

I actually just wrote a monk subclass about that...

Could try making a monk that lets you get spend ki for Battlemaster stuff.

What about the Kensei in the DMs Trove mega?

I don't give a shit about more classes. What I want is a spell compendium and an arms and equipment guide. I hate how the equipment in the PHB is pretty much just fluff and easy to succeed DCs.

When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, pick a single non-heavy martial weapon. You become proficient with that type of weapon, and treat it as a monk weapon.

When you could make an unarmed attack through your Flurry of Blows ability, you can instead make those attacks with the weapon you chose as part of this feature.

> Extension of Self
At level 6, you have become so attuned to your chosen weapon that it acts like an extension of your body.

You learn a series of maneuvers that are fueled by your mystical connection to your weapon.

Maneuvers. You learn two maneuvers of your choice, which are detailed below. Most maneuvers can only be used as part of your Flurry of Blows ability, unless otherwise noted. You learn one additional maneuver of your choice at 10th and 15th level. Each time you learn a maneuver, you can also replace one maneuver you know with a different one.

You may only use these maneuvers if you possess the type of weapon you gained proficiency with as part of your Weapon Mastery feature.

Ki Points. Each maneuver you use costs 1 ki point, in addition to the ki point used to Flurry of Blows.

> Improved Weapon Mastery
At 11th level, your connection to your weapon improves. While wielding the weapon you chose as part of the Weapon Mastery feature, you cannot be disarmed, and your attacks with that weapon count as magical for the purposes of resistances and immunities.

> Decisive Strike
At 17th level, your connection to your weapon has transcended the boundaries of mortal thought, becoming an extension of your soul. When you make an attack with your weapon, you may expend between 1 and 10 ki points. If you hit with that attack, you deal additional damage. This damage is equal to 2d10 per expended ki point. This damage is of the same type as your Weapon Mastery weapon.

Maneuvers coming in Part 2.

Part 2

> Maneuvers

Disarming Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack while using your Flurry of Blows, you can expend 1 ki point to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it's holding. Add your Martial Arts die to the damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw against your Ki save DC. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

Evasive Footwork. When you move, you can expend 1 ki point, rolling your Martial Arts die and adding the
number rolled to your AC until you stop moving.

Iajutsu. You may spend 1 ki point to add your Martial Arts die to your initiative roll at the start of combat.

Parry. When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can spend 1 ki point to reduce the damage by the number you roll on one of your Martial Arts dice + your Dexterity modifier.

Precision Attack. When you make a weapon attack using your Flurry of Blows, you can expend 1 ki point to add your Martial Arts die to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to spend 1 ki point to make an attack with the weapon you chose as part of your Weapon Mastery feature. If you hit, you add your Martial Arts die to the attack's damage roll.

Trip Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack using your Flurry of Blows, you can expend 1 ki point to attempt to knock the target down. You add your Martial Arts die the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.

Has anyone here used the "Spawning pool of elder things" Homebrew on the DM Guild?

dmsguild.com/product/180382/Spawning-Pool-of-the-Elder-Things?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

If its good i'll buy it.

I play 3e and 4e.

I like what I see about 5e, I like the shallow power curve and the lack of item dependency, I like the easy character creation, and it looks like an elegant system in general, simple-but-good.

If I take the time to sit down with 5e and learn the rules, what am I going to be disappointed by?

In particular, is there finally some non-combat balance between classes, where everyone gets to have options for creative problem-solving and influencing the world around them? Because 4e really fell down there, rituals were a good idea implemented badly.

5e combat doesn't need to be a deep and satisfying strategy game because I have 4e for that.

Something akin to the Geomancer PrC from 3.5. Basically a Druid with more subtle / subdued but permanent wild shaping that grows in severity as they level(from claws to photosynthesic skin to a camel hump or feathers etc)

how do you balance Alchemist since it can create infinite healing potions over time?

Any character can heal themselves for a large amount with an action and a potion and it makes "healer" characters like Life cleric needless except for emergencies and rez

I like alchy but it seems powerful with blaster bombs and super utility, not to mention it doesn't need spell slots and can store effects forever

sounds more like a mutant who mutates as they level the way you describe it

You'd have to really think about fluff vs. mechanics. Simply translating the mechanics straight up would make for a retarded class.

I remember reading one Artificer class that had good mechanics...I'll need to go look at it.

I think giving what is effectively "extra attack" at third level, then still getting extra attack at fifth (3 attacks with up to a d10 weapon!) is pretty crazy, even if you need high strength, wis, AND dex to be able to hit and still have a reasonable AC.
This is like 11th level fighter stuff.

Hm? How so? You can only make the attack with the single weapon with your Flurry of Blows, which is the only thing that the level 3 ability changes.

Essentially, it just changes the damage die of the weapon. You gain a bit extra damage in exchange for not getting the goodies that the other subclasses get as part of their Flurry of Blows.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. It is late and painkillers are a hell of a drug.

Don't know what class, but I still really want an Alchemist in any form.

So I'm wanting to design some magic items, or find them if they've already been made. Specifically, items that increase a spellcasters spell save DC, or that allows for multiple concentration spells to be in effect at once.

you guys know anything about that, or where I could go to find some?

>group has an artist who draws depictions of the group's best moments

I fucking love this kind of player more than anything

I mean just using a straight up greatsword would be better damage wise,

you'll be fine though, battlemaster is really good and you can supplement your lack of damage with your superiority die/extra attacks/action surge.

A paladin whip user could be good too, smiting fuckers with a whip.

>Specifically, items that increase a spellcasters spell save DC, or that allows for multiple concentration spells to be in effect at once.

the concentration one would be broken.

Well healing potions are magic potions, just common ones so you say an alchemist must use some magic to make potions quickly.

Would be neat to have an healing archetype called Apothecary and a damage one thats plague doctor-ish with poisons and the like, but that's just me.

Anyone else feel like SKT doesn't have much in the way of magic items/ significant treasure?

I'm gonna run it soon and it's weird, compared to LMoP it feels very loot-deprived.

In LMoP it was like, here's a +1 longsword of a legendary knight in an area the group maybe be exploring on even the 2nd or 3rd session. In SKT there's a random magic item from the A table in the DMG guide, which could be a bag of holding or driftglobe I guess.

I'm just going to add in some shit here and there, still feels a bit lame

I don't see why they nerfed casters so hard with Concentration, there's other ways to do that shit

At least give an extra concentration slot per so many Intelligence (3 or something) so magic users other than Wiz want that stat

That's retarded, user.

it would also make Wizards more special even when using a concentration spell since they SHOULD be able to be better at invisibility than a fuck-off Bard

>Wizards need to be better

growingconcern.jpg

Tell me about Druids and how to play one. Land and Moon both, I guess.

explain concentration

the most powerful Pope Cleric in the world can't curse some shithead and bless his buddy, shit makes no sense

Can someone explain to me why Monks, the multiple attribute dependent warriors utterly dedicated to perfecting mind and body, get less ability score improvements than fighters?

not better, different

explain how they aren't better at magic like invis than a bard? I don't understand that shit

They really should release a few more Cleric domains.

because fighter is DEFAULT FIGHT MAN so they love them the most

Because mortals have a limit on the power they can continuously channel, and some spells can last for an extended time, but only while the caster continually exerts effort on maintaining them. Naturally, they cannot maintain more than one of these at once.
Because fighters still never get to consider their bodies magical weapons, or will themselves out of visibility or the material plane, or surpass mortal boundaries like food and water or language.

Have you actually played 5e?

If you're running a FR campaign, (which Wizards wants you to do, apparently), and your rogue thief purchases some ball bearings, or gains them through a pack, then who makes them? It's not your standard Sword Coast blacksmith's ability to manufacture these things, so who the fuck is making these things? What else are they being used for?

Not that there's anything wrong with your point in terms of mechanical balance but it doesn't really address the question. Giving Fighters more ability score improvements is kind of a spit to the monk's face, and really highlights just how poorly Wizards does with class themes.

Where do you thing the Red Wizards of Thay get their money?

cast Fabricate on a sheet of metal, turn them into balls for murderhobos to scatter on the ground, ?????, profit.jpg

>muh class don't get more ASIs, WotC is shit

Monks are for weebs, they shouldn't be a standard class in the first place.

Hey there, anons. Race-building guy back again repeating his inevitable request for criticisms and suggestions as to which race to tackle next.

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Fey'ri
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale

Criticisms brought up in the last thread:
* Racial feats are near-universally overpowered; need help toning those down.

* Many races are either bland, underpowered or both - need help boosting them up. Finding more "fluffy" racial traits and switching out the boring "free proficiency" skills is definitely on the list.

As an aside, could really use help figuring out where to go with the Spellscale and Yokai races. The former in particular... I wonder... Maybe go for a subrace mechanic based on Draconic Ancestry, and give 'em damage resistance, spell-like abilities and possibly other features based on canon dragons? Because, honestly, the old Blood Quickening mechanic probably wouldn't work in 5e and was kind of bland back then anyway?

Oh, I just realised... I've been focusing mostly on the crunch, but, maybe I should take a step back and try writing up racial fluff instead? Or should I leave that until I have all of the races statted?

Monks predate weebs, you twat. They're older than clerics.
The weebs always play paladins for 'muh justice and holy sword', or bladesinger for 'muh sick magic sword techniques', or barbarian for 'muh unbreakable determination and character wearing cool sexy clothes and no armor'.

Why isn't Thay experiencing an industrial revolution, then?

I only play FATAL because I disagree with you I guess

What about full casters get 4 ASI's, Ranger and Paladin get 5, Monk and Rogue get 6, and fighter and barbarian gets 7?

>barbarian
>weeb class

How often do you play with weebs, user?

Hey, anons? I was just flicking through my old copy of Psionic Power for 4e, found the Soaring Blade paragon path, and... I'll get down to the point: does anyone think that the 5e monk has the mechanical ability to handle a subclass about being an unarmed sword-wielding master? You know, ala the fighter's Kensai kit or the wuxia sword master?

I just realized... well I'll start my thought from the beginning. WotC has been foreshadowing their plotlines for each adventure they have published: like the cloud giant castle in Horde of the Dragon Queen.

I just realized that one of the dark powers of Ravenloft fucking escaped the amber temple. What adventure will be spawned from this? What old school Greyhawk baddie can be coming to FR (assuming the theories of Barovia originally coming from Greyhawk are correct)? Any star themed bad guys from AD&D (the other powers in the vault are star themed)?

What is it with you nerds and weebs? Suddenly anything remotely oriental is shit for people who watch too much anime. I like Kung Fu, I like that fanciful high flying mystical warrior shit. Why can't I like that? What the fuck does it have to do with anime? I don't even watch anime

Go for it.

I'd love to, but I can't for the life of me figure out what subclass features and ki powers to give them.

>What Class would you most like to see made into an Archetype?

I've recently fallen in love with the pathfinder Occultist, and I would like to see something similar done for 5e. A roguish class that gathers items of historical/emotional value and draws power from them, gaining minor magical abilities. I'm thinking maybe a rogue archetype with something akin to ki or sorcery points, and the ability to learn a new power (based on some kind of item or implement) every level as you level up. Kind of the 'I wear 15 holy symbols because one of them probably wards off undead' kinda guy.

>assuming the theories of Barovia originally coming from Greyhawk are correct
They're not. Barovia isn't from any established D&D settings. It's instead left vague for DMs to fit it into their own setting if they want (like Crawford has for the games he runs).

How do I covince the GM to start with a Griffon mount? Wanted my character was adopted by Mount trainers.

Try sucking his dick.

By starting the game at high levels and forsaking your starting magic item of choice for an epic mount.

It at least has a lot of nods in Curse of Strahd, but I like the idea of being right and we see this guy in FR.

But Im saving myself for marraige

You're still a Virgin if all you've done is suck dick. This is why it isn't gay to suck dick. It simply doesn't count as sex.

>made the mistake of playing a non-magic using Human in a roll20 campaign that has dynamic lighting

Jesus christ this is miserable.

None of the spellcasters picked light as a cantrip either, as all of them have darkvision since fucking everyone gets darkvision.

What the fuck can I do about this other than sacrifice my offhand to carry a fuckin torch 24/7.

Your GM would have to be completely retarded to give you a flying mount pre level 9+

>finally get my own handbook

>next session is canceled

Goddamn it. Cheer me up /5eg/

Lantern? Argue that it could be strapped on a belt or something.
Magic initiate for light spells?
Skulker feat?

My DM would probably let me strap a lantern on my belt, cheers.

Got real tired of being in pitch darkness when literally everyone else can see perfectly fine on top of having a number of racial abilities.

Why are Humans such shit?

>that guy who is constantly doing things wrong to his advantage

This nigga's adding his proficiency bonus to his damage, among other things.

I'd think he's just new but I'm pretty sure he's played alot before. I think he's a straight up cheater taking advantage of the DM's trust. Also lied to the DM about having his shield, when he was two-handing his weapon.

Don't really want to cause drama/come off like a Rules Lawyer, but he's just blatantly doing things wrong to his own benefit.

They got tired of humans being good for every class due to the bonus feat, so they nerfed them too hard.

Also, I don't know if it's still a thing in 5e, but a burned out grey Ioun stone with continual flame cast on it is a staple of 3.PF that should be within the rules.

Wait, do clerics know ALL spells their class has, and can pick any they want to prepare for the next day?

I have the problem of players still not knowing basic shit. God damn they're 7th level, how do you still forget what dice to roll for your weapon and what profiency does?!

Fuck That Guy. Lawyer him outside the game to let him know you know he's BSing, if he continues, lawyer him outside the game to the GM. After that, it's the GM's issue, and they should handle it accordingly.

They know all the spells on the cleric spell list that they'd be able to cast.

>They know all the spells on the cleric spell list that they'd be able to cast.
What would they not be able to cast? Are there school restrictions based on divine domain?

they wouldn't be able to cast spells that are beyond their level. A level 2 cleric can't cast Animate Dead, for example, because it's a 3rd-level spell and they can only cast 1st-level spells and cantrips.

Domains don't restrict spells. Actually, they give you extra spells that don't count towards your prepared spells limit.

Have you considered reading the Cleric section of the PHB? Or are you just confused?

No I just didn't know clerics have all their spells, the PHB wasn't explicit about it.

I've just rolled up a paladin for a new campaign and one thing is bugging me, I can't figure out how much I can use the oath list spells per long rest. RAW says you have any unlocked oath spells always prepared, but I'm not sure if using them takes up one of your spell slots, or if you can use each oath spell once per long rest, or something else.

They're on your spell list. They take a spell slot to cast.

Money.
Alchemy costs money. Each healing potion, each napalm bomb, those are all coming out of 5e's already tight budget. PCs only really make money when adventuring, so the alchemist must keep going for gold to fund their anything.
How do you balance such a finite resource against a Cleric's full spell bracket from a Long Rest?

thismost domain/circle/whatever spell lists are basically there to teach you extra spells, but are mandatory choices

Because magic isn't mass production, i'd assume that ball bearings are just the result of Transmutation wizards trying to make rent

What classes i'd like to see reworked as archetypes into other classes?

Ranger as Druidic version of Eldritch knight, fighter archetype.
Use the new UA ranger features and mix and match the existing ranger subclass feature into it in a balanced way.

Monk as fighter archetype.
Make unarmoured combat a fighting style that grants you unarmoured movement as well.
Fighters get the basic 1d4 unarmed damage die with either STR or DEX and martial arts option when they aren't wearing armour.
Lvl 3 feature is Ki + Ki enforced unarmed strikes + pick one ''discipline'' (lvl 3 feature from the existing sub classes)

Lvl 6 feature nets you the evasion ability and Dex save proficiency.

And so on. Just integrate the base monk features as sub-class featues+existing monk sub-class feature of your choice.

Just DM'ed for a new group. I think the players must have only had shit or mediocre GMs in the past, because they were all talking about how great the session was, even though I honestly didn't think it was a particularly good session. As far as 1st sessions with strangers go though, it was pretty good.

Only point of conflict in the session was this, and I want /5eg/ to tell me what they think:

When I DM, and a player makes an ability check wherein the outcome is not immediately obvious, I roll for them behind my screen, using their relevant modifiers of course. Something like athletics or acrobatics, they roll because it's them actively doing something that has a clear effect. For something like Insight, I roll.

I do so for a number of reasons, chiefly because i don't like the involuntary meta.

For example, say Dietrich rolls for insight to tell whether the Bandit is telling the truth about the next room being trapped. He rolls, and gets a 2.

If I say, "You can't make anything out by the Bandit's mannerisms", then the roll was pointless and just a waste of our time. He didn't learn anything, and knows that he didn't learn anything because he rolled a 2.

If I say, after Dietrich's 2, that the bandit is totally telling the truth, everyone immediately knows that the bandit's a lying sack of shit.

So instead, I roll for Dietrich. Nobody knows what I rolled. I then tell Dietrich whatever the roll would have gotten him. Because nobody knows what was rolled, they have to take the information I give them at face value, without any meta knowledge.

Dietrich's character doesn't know he rolled a 2. He's just trying to figure the Bandit out, then comes to whatever conclusion the roll gets him.

I do the same for something like Stealth, because too many times I've had "Alright, I'll sneak in there. (Rolls something low). Ahh, nevermind.", happen. Sure, I could force the player to commit, but then he's not happy and there's no drama; he'll be detected.

Is this autistic?

>What Class would you most like to see made into an Archetype?
You mean what class would I like if they weren't a class at all but an archetype for another one? Having more classes is always better than less, so none of them.

(you)
Actually I retract that statement, more classes is bad if it sets a precedent for something stupid. Like a class based around crafting that can't have more than a few crafted items in existence at once because shut up.

Get a lantern, light it up, strap it onto your belt like a Dragon's Dogma character.

The hooded one gives you 20 more feet of light (10 bright and 10 dim) than the torch and is hands free.

Please explain why the suggested starting equipment for pretty much every class is enough to send you into "encumbered" territory?

like I have 10 str and the explorer's kit alone practically puts me into encumbered.

Stealth characters without darkvision still get completely fucked though.

Because it's assumed that you drop your backpack on the ground before going into battle proper.

That's fucking stupid.

Atleast nobody uses encumbrance.

I play other systems where darkvision isn't a thing and all player characters are humans by default and this isn't an issue because nobody actually cares.
In 5e games that aren't on Roll20 with dynamic lighting, nobody cares.
It's just when you turn on the dynamic lighting that you now get constantly reminded of this thing nobody cares about but fucks a random couple of races in a really unfun way.
The answer is don't use dynamic lighting.

Yea, hence why I said it was a huge fucking mistake to play a Human on Roll20.

I asked my DM about it, he's reasonable so I'd imagine he'll help me out somehow.

This very first session had us fighting in a completely black cave and I, a greatsword-using fighter, just got completely fucked because I couldn't use my greatsword since I needed a fucking torch.

meanwhile the half-elf is running around being able to see 60ft while also being immune to magical sleep and having advantage vs charm and having two skills

but I get +1 to all my stats! three of which don't fucking matter and since we're using point buy, I still can't have anything over a 16 so the freed up points don't really do shit for me. Oh, the Half-Elf also gets +1 to two of his choice and +2 to CHA.

Fucking joke man.

Yup, half elf is ridiculously good. Humans don't come close unless they're variant.

Every single race completely leaves standard Human in the dust.

I'll ask my DM if I can be a variant Human instead; the loss of the +1s to everything actually will not effect shit.

Still I feel even Variant Human doesn't really make up for it. Sure I could take GWM and do more damage; still can't see, still have worse stats, still have less skills, still don't have resistance to magic shit.

I know there are some that exist, but I homemake all of my magic items. I would just say "here's a hat that lets you hold two concentration spells for 3 turns"

Does anyone else really wanna homebrew an alchemist now?

> 5e
> Dietrich
Fucking triggered.

Is new arcana coming out today?

Hey guys, I'm new to 5e and I'm wondering about spell save DCs. I know it's 8 + ability mod + proficiency. Does your general proficiency bonus apply to these? I know it's probably a stupid question, but I don't want to assume and be wrong.

Still want a better Warlord than the Battlemaster Fighter, but not holding out hope.

Is Purple Dragon Knight the most disappointing archetype?

I liked the look of it but admit to now examining it too hard, what's the problem with it?