Warhammer 40k rpg thread~~!!

God-Emperor Provides edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.1.9) (Mechanicus for Only War)
mediafire.com/download/dmylf4f40eslea9

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! Relax! Have Fun With It! (V1.7.15) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/5lqt5r2wel6w25q

>dead thread
What shit have you pulled that suckered your GM and btfo'd whatever plans he had for the game that day?

Asking again but does anyone have the premade characters for Black Crusade?

>Show up for 2nd session ever of OW
>All excited to be an artillery spotter sarge and do forward observing operations innawoods
>"Good news guardsmen! You've been given a special assignment to help with peacekeeping efforts in the local hive!"
>"Sir this is an artillery unit, what am I going to keep the peace with, teargas bombardments?"
>"Not exactly..."
>MFW half the ammunition given to us is napalm rounds
>And we've been stationed to the lower hive where apparently there's enough overhead room to fire mortar bombardments

Whelp, this can only end well

>What shit have you pulled that suckered your GM and btfo'd whatever plans he had for the game that day?
I'm the GM, but one of my players was to face to face with a renegade psyker in a small room, and pulled out a krak grenade and blew himself and the psyker into a million pieces. He was the Sergeant and had all the navigation equipment, so now the rest of the squad is stuck in the middle of the city with no map. Good times.

Aren't there a few for some of the adventures in the books? What sort of premades are you talking about? PC or NPC?

Remember, the ones who riot are heretics. The ones to stand with you are loyal.

>that feeling when you push the limits of your authority, up to and including countermanding an inquisitorial authority
>that feel when you need to make a -20 Command check to bully nobles into doing what you tell them to
>tfw on the reroll, you roll a 11
>tfw the mutants, the nobles, the Inquisition is not the law
>tfw I AM the law
I am waiting for this to blow up in my face, but right now, I'm running shit, and I couldn't be fucking happier.
If my plan works out right, I'll have chummied up to the local head tech adept (fucker has TWO CASTALLEX with him), get a munitorum forge underneath my thumb, make inroads with yet another noble family on this world to use later, and gain the services of a mutant army, on top of finding out where the saboteurs that caused all this shit are from.
GM, I know you read these threads.
Try and stop me.

you're missing the part where it's the underhive.

Last bombardment killed over 8500 civilians in the ensuing firestorm.

The local arbites said it was the finest riot suppression theyve ever seen. Those wacky arbites just love their fire support, especially after we trained them how to properly use spotter lingo.

Will a game of Only War where your party is a group of armsmen on a voidship work?

>RT groups goes to a feudal world
>Find out the western tribes worship "The Four Winds"
>Report it to Imperial authorities, deciding it's heresy, but then decide why wait?
>Bombard the western tribe's regions with macro cannons until they're out of ammo and there's a dust cloud with a radius of hundreds of miles
>congratulate themselves on their genocide

>8500 dead
So the modern-day equivalent of 1 rioter dying in New York? (Assuming that Hive World has a population of 85 billion)

>not making planetfall and amazing the locals with the power of the Emperor such as the magical powers of a laspistol
>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to conver them and reporting to the Imperial Authorities as an Imperial World to be

What a fucking waste of money.
Those morons don't deserve their Warrant.

>>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to conver them and reporting to the Imperial Authorities as an Imperial World to be
The planet was already part of the Imperium, but the Imperium largely forgot about them. The Rogue Trader was hired to make sure they hadn't gone separatist during the Imperium's lack of contact.

>not making planetfall and amazing the locals with the power of the Emperor such as the magical powers of a laspistol
>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to convert them
>not appointing a trusted member of your crew as Planetary Governor
Fixed it.

Well, now they have the opportunity to populate the planet with people they don't want to genocide on a whim.

>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to convert them
>not appointing a trusted member of your crew as Planetary Governor
I have no excuse for them not trying to convert the western tribes with laspistols. But they did decide that the king of the largest kingdom, as the Administratum appointed planetary governor, should remain the planetary governor.

>But they did decide that the king of the largest kingdom, as the Administratum appointed planetary governor, should remain the planetary governor.
You mean the guy they killed?

No, his capital was just outside of the dust cloud. They blew the ever loving shit out of the western regions of the continent.
The man will probably have a ton of ecological fallout to deal with though.

I don't need to stop you, I need only teach you that power comes with a price.

Yeah, probably gonna get yelled at by my boss, but he should have picked up the damn vox.
Now, the (arguably) most likely one in the group to flagrantly abuse power is in charge.
At least I'm not kidnapping children like the sororitas. You DO know about the sororitas = pedophiles meme, right? That's why she was getting (and will continue to get) jabs?

Does Wolph42's RPMapTool framework have 2e rules? I don't know if plain Dark Heresy means 1e or 2e.

Yeah I know that. God Emperor help her if she loses sight of that girl for a second.

The premade PCS for the demo. I think a couple may have come with the special edition of the core book as well.

In DH2 when using the psyker power Dominate, does the action from the power occur on the psykers turn or the targets turn?

Please post references.

They aren't in the OP?

From how it is worded, they preform the actions on their turn as the psyker gives the mental commands on the psyker's turn. In effect, it overrides what they were going to do with whatever simple command the psyker wants them to do.

As someone playing a Telepath, this Puppet Master uses the caster's actions and so works on the caster's turn, Dominate robs the target of their turn, forcing them to spend their actions on the command. As a GM when I Dominate players I also like to give free action Willpower tests at like a -20 to recover a half action, because otherwise an NPC psyker could just keep slapping an entire party with the spell and I'm not a fan of robbing a player of their turn entirely.

For some reason I thought Broken Chains was something else. So yes it has the premade PCs for the Demo, but does anyone have the ones that came with the Special edition of the Black Crusade core book?

I'm assuming they aren't a world eater marine and a human psyker.

I know I'm asking for the ultimate heresy but does anyone have any good ideas for Khorne aligned psychic powers? I'm doing a campaign where I'm taking some inspiration from Abnett and making Chaos feel more mysterious and otherworldly. Khorne hating magic in Fantasy doesn't really translate well into 40K where he's okay with bioweapons and bombing planets from orbit.

>I'm assuming they aren't a world eater marine and a human psyker.
No, one of the premade PCs that came with the special edition was a Thousand Son Sorcerer.

>Khorne-aligned psychic powers

That's a massive break from the lore-

>I'm doing a campaign where I'm taking some inspiration from Abnett and making Chaos feel more mysterious and otherworldly
>mfw

I like you user. My headcanon (not real canon etc), is that being a Psyker is fine. As long as you're not a coward, and you being a Psyker isn't a crutch. Khornates cannonically use rituals to summon Daemons and get Khornes favour so the line blurs in established lore itself.

For power ideas, I'd say things that supplement slaughter and mayhem but can't and won't do it by themselves. None of the powers would hit for damage or anything of a sort, because that makes you a massive pussy. They'd force WP checks and force frenzy on failure, grant Hatred talents and positive modifiers in combat. But these things would affect the Psyker as well and work in an Aura around him. The Psyker will be leaping into the fray and ripping people apart alongside his agents, and he'll probably forget to cast any additional powers because halfway through his incantation his eyes started bleeding and they'd only stop if he ripped a mans skull in half, ooh look a man over there!

As a side note, if this is BC I'd count it as an act of infamy (or whatever they're called), to use these powers on Psykers, and force Astropaths and the like to kill oneanother, gives 1 Infamy Point or something.

Maybe look at any fluff for the Slaughter Priest? They're kinda paladin-y, their "magic" just being buffs and stuff.

Khorne hating psykers has always felt dumb to me. It made sense in FaBa when wizards were book reading nerds and Khorne was all about manly slaughter and it kinda worked when 40k was just Fantasy in Space.

But now since all it takes to be psyker is being born as one, there's not much reason why one couldn't get so angry that they literally burst in flames and vomit lava over everyone nearby. But for some reason Khorne doesn't like that.

It would make sense if Khorne was supposed to also handle duties of Malal in 40k and be manifestation of Chaos' inevitable march towards annihilation of all. But he isn't, he's just angry and doesn't like wizards.

>TWO CASTALLEX

How have you not executed him for heresy? AI is evil.

user, it's not AI.

the RT party I'm a player in just captured a pirate vessel. We're going to assign our own officers, astropaths and navigators to the ship, and then I'm going to run a spinoff campaign around that ship exploring a different part of the sector to our flagship.

What kind of problems (and good things) come from having a crew of ex-pirates?

Constant threat of mutiny, obviously a much more tense situation of control. Have events where leadership of the vessel is threatened and such. Also if this ship definitely is working under the RT's name and papers, stereotypical pirating will no longer be an option, so that may be another struggle to reign in the ex-pirates who still want to loot and plunder.

I've gathered that the ship was originally some kind of officially-sanctioned treasure-hunting expedition. MIght have been under another trader, might have been some kind of weird joint navy-mechanicus thing. Need to ask the primary GM more.

user, justification is the first step to corruption. It doesn't use sanctioned doctrinas wafers. It has a brain. It's evil and heretical. Enjoy your eventual Black Crusade game.

Technically Sorcery is what Khorne hates, warp-given powers are okay.

Not quite sure where the separation is in 40k, I guess it's about reliance/dedication to such powers that qualifies such as sorcery.

Old witchhunter codex had a power called hand of the emperor or something like that that basically gave you an imperial-ki power fist. Or check DH1 biomancy powers.

I love Black Crusade.

I love Black Crusade stories. Share your tales with me, anons?

Yes

Yes and no. Yes, it will work mechanically, thematically it will need tweaking. Armsmen aren't soldiers, they're security officers, handing out brutal punishment in the name of Space Law and making sure that order is maintained. Half or more of the game would be about patrolling the corridors and dealing out summary shotgun-butt beatings to lazy or insubordinate ratings, or making sure the press-ganger containment areas are nice and secure. Sure, there's the occasional boarding action or Black Holds attack, or discovering a hidden chaos cult, but it would be more similar to Dark Heresy than Only War overall.

I'll type some down, till then here's the story behind my current party.

Basically the idea is if General Sturm at the end of the novel Traitor General hadn't gone full retard and lol repentanced himself. Instead he stayed traitor and became the de facto general of the Sons of Set and personally leads a squad of them against the Imperium. The three subordinates are a former black legion sorcerer who acts as his bodyguard/adviser, a speedy guerrilla fighter with multiple personality disorder who swaps out his masks to suit such, and a giant heavy weapons guy.

We'd intended to play the concept straight, but within two sessions we started playing up the personalities and egos so much that we became a band of endlessly yelling cartoon characters. At some point we started wearing the banners of defeated regiments as sashes...

There's a dust cloud visible from space, re-population isn't going to be an option for a while

I don't know too much about 40k, but 40k campaigns always seem to have some of the best stories and I'd really like to give one a try.

What system would you recommend for someone who knows more about the Slaugth or the Rak'gol than the Eldar and is probably going to aim for Dark Heresy or Only War regardless of what you say?

Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader.

I have been thinking of 'revamping' the first edition of Dark Heresy with post-Black Crusade rules.

The essence of that would be keeping the Homeworld, Background Packages, Careers and Alternate Careers (and their ranks), Elite Advances and the like more or less intact, while reducing the skillset, weapon training and changing the combat rules.

I don't know what to do about equipment acquisition, however. It's obvious that the Thrones system is really bad, but I'm unsure as to what to replace it with.
Is there any interest for something like this?

Abstract monetary system ala Rogue Trader that's explained as requisitions from HQ being fulfilled to varying degrees based on a combination of politics, renown, luck and availability?

Dude, you're basically describing Dark Heresy 2e.

Dark Heresy 2E lacks codified Careers, and Background Packages are very limited.

I suppose Rogue Trader's system would be the best replacement, yeah.

codified careers suck though

Would I be gimping myself if I played a blank Commissar?

.....ehhhhhhh maybe. It is a little hard to police psykers when they hate you.

Considering that being a blank nerfs your Fellowship, and a Commissar's number one most crucial skill is Command, yes, you would be. Also, a pariah in the Schola would be yanked for the Culexis temple in fairly short order.

I like this look at decided to base a character on it, figured highborn was fitting, playing around with backgrounds and roles and thought mutant sounded fun.

I rolled a couple of times on the table, got extra arms first and big scary teeth second, I know you generally don't get to choose but I was juggling for ideas. So what sounds coolest, and extra arm hidden under the coat or big teeth, possibly with a freaky messed up looking mouth hidden under the mask. Planning on playing her as very proud of her name and very ashamed of her deformities. Prefers to hide it from the rest of the group and struggles with balancing acting to her station and keeping a low profile, especially since her pride doesn't sit well with letting people take her for a common person. I'm thinking the inquisitor took her in instead of putting her down as a way to have some leverage over her family other than being from the Inquisition, or he was nice and knows them, I dunno.

Anyway, teeth or extra arm, what sounds coolest/works best with the character. Teeth seem coolest to me, but extra arm will probably come in handy later game with a higher CB, since she her stats lend themselves very well to going full High speed gunslinger as high agility, plus unnatural agility from the start trait and is weak and frail as shit and innept in close combat, WS, S and T all being in the 20s. Leaning towards the arm because I rolled that first. Also, rate the concept I guess, does it seem like a fun character to play with?

Side note, she has 40 fellowship, so mutant party face is and option for the time being.

Shouldn't Enginseers start out with an Omnissian Axe?

Mileena from Mortal Kombat?

Are you an FFG writer trying to buff the AdMech even more?

>Highborn
>Extra arm and big teeth
>GENESTEALER DETECTED
Worry not, citizen. Assistance for your unfortunate condition is on its way. Your suffering will soon be over.

>Extra arm and big teeth

How does one find 40k RPG groups?

I love my usual tabletop group but they only really want 5e.

Speaking of Blanks, are there any rules for limiters in any of the game lines? I ask because I remember one in Ravenor using a limiter.

I didn't think about it initially, but when the big teeth came up, yeah they would have similarities.

Literally hivemind

Gamefinder or convince people to give the games a try.

RT, DH1, DH2 all have blank rules.

Yes but I can't find rules for the limiters

There are no rules for blank limiters. The closest you have is buying different levels of blankness.

>GM uses the money system
>I luck into some cash
>Buy myself a storm bolter while everyone else still has Chainaxes/Boltguns

I feel so dirty

A storm bolter isn't that much different from a regular bolter, user. For 9 thousand-ish thrones you could've got something better.

It stuns me that my players are still alive today with the way they've been handling combat. They've ended up dealing themselves more critical damage than all enemy encounters combined, but somehow always manage to mop the floor with every enemy I've thrown at them. Even the Space Marine in the party reached +6 critical wounds at one point.

In any case, anybody got some pointers on how to run a Genestealer Cult campaign? I'm not terribly familiar with the multi-dimensional plots some people can come up with, and I'm not sure my players can handle having to not shoot shit every 10 seconds.

>They've ended up dealing themselves more critical damage than all enemy encounters combined,
Explosives?

yes

Are they tossing explosives into melee or is scatter fucking them over that hard?

To split hairs, you CAN have Psychic shit happen around Khornate Champions, but it's almost always 100% with the intention of getting close and fucking the enemy up.

Khornate Daemons also unleash Warp energy and engage in fuckery to get into the material realm, so they DO use it to an extent. It's just a side affect to them or a means to an end, though.

There are also rituals and such in BC, though anybody can do them with the know-how.

I'm preparing to run an Only War game that will have my PCs as a tank crew in a Russ.

Any tips from those who have done this? Enemies will include Chaos, Orks and Nids, probably culminating in a 4 way FFA depending on where things go.

If the tank isn't dying as fast as expected, that is fine. The Russ is one of the tougher vehicles in the line.

Just remember that the battle cannon for the russ is more suited for destroying blobs of infantry than actual anti-vehicle duty as that is what a hull-mounted lascannon is for.

Noted. My PCs have rolled up their regiment but haven't picked their tank yet or customized it so I'm not entirely sure how that is going to work out.

I intend to take a 'You're free to dig your own graves' approach and wing it from there so it should be... interesting.

So, how is the Lascannon? One of my players has used his Enginseer's exp to gain Heavy Weapon training and is going to requisition one for himself.

I must know just how useful/how much havoc he shall wreck upon the foul Greenskins.

If you or the players aren't aware of it, there are vehicle upgrades near the end of Shield of Humanity that they could use.

Deletes 1 ork per turn if it hits. 25 damage at minimum with pen 10 is not something that is easy to survive. Use it on the bigger, more important targets.

my group of Acolytes turned our Inquisitor to Chaos he hates us so much (he wants to find something reallllly horrible to do to us) and accidentally caused a rift to the Warp to open after trying to stop a nuclear meltdown with a Void Bomb... though we're gonna blame that on some secessionists.... how screwed are we?

The lascannon is the best one-target damage machine in the game, aside from certain exotic weapons. It will vaporize any humanlike target in one shot, and can one or two shot MEQ Elites with True Grit. Light vehicles, likewise, will vaporize within three shots. But. This is a big but. It's heavy, unwieldly, the furthest thing from subtle, and only has a handful of shots. It also only fires once at one target, each turn.

So you managed to get your inqusititor so pissed at you that he turned to Chaos? What?

well... we were captured by some communist revolutionary's and he wanted us to kills ourselves, we said no as we wanted to infiltrate them.... he took exception to that

How do silencers work? It says Awareness tests to hear the shots take a -20 and only work at half the distance, but I'm not sure how that works exactly.

It works on 'how loud do you think this gun is and how far the sound from it firing travels, then cut it in half'.

That feels overly complicated.

Just base it off of weapon range, maybe adjusting for class i.e. basic is 1x, pistol is .5x, heavy is 1.5x.

Oh, good point! Thanks user.

Remember it is extremely heavy and the ammo is also extremely heavy.

There is a sound table in the DH2e core rule book for weapon noise on page 148.

Graviton Singularity Cannon in the fringe is yours has no range statted.

>on a Necromunda FB page
>in a post about weapon options, one guy starts complaining about shotguns being OP in DH
>says he never uses his and instead dual wields daggers for the cool factor
>wut
>he then complains about how he was foraging for a power weapon "all session"
>only just fucking started playing

That's not how you RPG, and jesus christ that GM is going soft on them...

Shotguns can be really OP in Dark Heresy, though.

If you get one with Semi or Full auto rate of fire, you completely destroy everything.

If you were a Psyker and had pre-Errata Unnatural Aim and a Full auto shotgun, you made mincemeat out of everything.