MTG Limited General

I've saved some Kaladesh draft Pack 1 Pick 1 decisions that I thought were fairly close.

Tell us what you think would be the correct pick. I'll post the next one after 5 replies

Chief of the Foundry, easy.
Colorless lord in artifact oriented set? Sign me up. Low investment for very high reward.

Aetherborn Marauder. An evasive bomb that can turn the tables for you is good.

I'll go with Chief of the Foundry as well.

I'd risk it for Authority of the Consuls. Best turn 1 in the meta, still functions as a control option late game. Terrible topdeck tho.

Do you have any experience playing with that card?

It seems like the first effect would help an aggressive deck and the second effect would help a controlling deck, but the whole card would be mediocre in either deck

I haven't played nearly of this set to be able to say with much certainty which archetypes works and which colors tend to be overdrafted and such.

But in a vacuum, the best card in that pack is probably Brawler. However, being multicolored definetly disqualifies it from P1P1 status unless the rest of the pack is miserable.

That leaves two contenders; Chief and Marauder. Both require some build around, and depending on how the format turns they may not actually leave you as open as it seems--for example if Marauder is only consistently good in one particular archetype.

I lean towards the flying lifelinker, but I could see arguments for either.

I hate how drafting this is pretty much always a lost unless you pull an expedition. Me and my friends had plans to buy a box but we got an origin one instead

There is legit no more cash in origins anymore and the current set will always have relevant and therefor worthy cards for standard. But to be fair if you draft and think you can make your money back just by opening your 3 packs you will be disappointed pretty much always.

Yeah, every set going forwards will be this way. Puts more strain on winning in order to make your cash back.

So whats the cost for everyone to draft at your LGS? Prize support?

Thankfully my store lets you use your own packs to draft for 5 dollars instead of 12. So as long as i keep placing at least 2nd i can pull 5 dollars in value easily.

Had 12 packs in winnings from prerelease, cracked three for lulz, drafted once and lost so far, Hoping i can at least win once with these next two sets...

I don't get why wizards is suddenly giving draft players the finger. Are they counting on standard/eternal formats folk to crack boxes to get the dumb inventions?

Yeah, god forbid we don't make money when playing a children's card game. If I'm playing just for fun I can't pretend it's poker and all my friends will laugh at me.

Chief and Marauder are both sweet cards with comparable payoffs. But Chief is colorless and slots well into basically every color pair, whereas there's a chance you don't end up black for Maruader. So I think this is a pretty clear Chief pick.

Eh, I've always just written off my draft entry fee. I agree the higher variance is annoying, but it wouldn't stop me from drafting a good format.

I think the power level of the Marauder and Chief are comparable, so I would go with the colorless card here, but I wouldn't fault someone for taking Marauder. Voltaic Brawler deserves a mention as well, since I think it's just the most powerful card in the pack, but it's a gold card so I wouldn't pick it over the other two. I don't think it's Authority of the Consuls

pretty much what you said

Peema Outrider.
or Padeem if you want to gamble on drafting alot of artifact creatures.

Pemma Outrider. Padeem potential makes her a defensible pick, but unlike Chief+AEtherborn she is an actual buildaround. You have to go somewhat out of the way to support Padeem. Peema Outrider, in contrast, is just incredibly efficient for no commitment whatsoever.

Padeem if I feel like forcing artifacts, otherwise Eddytail Hawk because fliers win drafts

I think it evens out in the end if you play a lot of drafts

The EV is still the same yes, but the variance is significantly higher. Most people do not crack the 100+ packs needed for a reasonably gaurenteed invention, so they'll either get lucky and come out significantly ahead or (more likely) end up significantly behind. Many drafters (myself included) would rather just have a guarenteed small win or small loss over the course of the format, rather than playing a lottery of sorts.

It's either Aetherborn Maurader or Voltaic Brawler, and I'd take the Brawler but that's just because R/G is my favorite color combo. I personally really like Authority of the Consuls as well because it stops vehicles from being crewed by just played creatures, and forces the opponent to pick between keeping blockers or attacking.

Outrider.

I played in a Kaladesh draft this last weekend. It was kind of disappointing; everyone agreed that most of the boosters were pretty trash. The only mythic to show up was Skysovereign, and the only good rares were Gonti and Skyship Stalker.

I can say that the most enjoyable part of my draft games was repeatedly slamming someone with an Ovalchase Dragster and casting Rush of Vitality if they blocked. In hindsight, although the set isn't amazing in terms of overall quality it IS hilarious because you have lots of guys getting in cars and running each other over.

boosters are trash until someone opens a masterpiece

How was the dragster when you didn't have rush of vitality?

Dead after the first swing, almost all of the time. Still worth playing though, because it does a lot better than the 1/1 token crewing it usually would. If you have something like an Eddytrail Hawk, you can give it evasion so that it'll hopefully survive, but in general it functions like a weird Ball Lighting that you have to tap a creature to swing with.

I don't think it will do great outside of limited (better than most other vehicles, though) but I do want to try putting together a deck with it and Rush of Vitality to see if I'm wrong.

Whoops. was meant as a reply to .

I wish they weren't so damn rare. We had a 40 player prerelease and nobody pulled a single one. It's not very tempting to buy product when everything in the set is worth shit and inventions are almost impossible to pull

The Eddytrail Hawk is sneaky good. 1/2 flier isn't amazing alone but giving so something else flying is bonkers, and while the Outrider is solid, it requires a hard green commit.

I actually think thriving rhino is better than peema outrider. Am I wrong and why? I value 3drops alot more highly and it has synergies with 2 of greens themes, so it's on par with the outrider on that. If you build around the rhino gets even bigger for less mana.

The pain train or black puzzle

this is tough. Fairgrounds Warden is very solid in every white deck, but Aethertorch Renegade could be absurd in a UR or GR energy deck, while still good in a BR or RW deck, so I'd pick him. Wildest Dreams is also fine, but I might not even play in a green deck, if it's aggressive.

I'd pick Peema Outrider. It's just been rock solid in every game I played with and against. I think Padeem has a higher ceiling, but he'll need some work before he gets going (although this is pack 1 pick 1, so it'll be easy to build around him). Thriving Rhino is great as well, but I think the trample on the Peema Outrider is the tiebreaker. And while Thriving Rhino does have synergies with UG and RG energy, Peema Outrider has synergies with GW fabricate and GB counters, so it's pretty even in that regard. I'll have to keep an eye out on eddytrail hawk. I haven't played with or against it, but I'll try to prioritize picking it a bit more.

I'm done listening to you guys about always putting a planeswalker in my deck. This fucker did very little to help my slow and lacking white and blue deck and I should have just done a fast and better black and white 1 with Concealed Courtyard instead.

The only reason to take him is to cash him in for another free draft.

>midnight oil
Lul

The pick here is EASILY Fragmetize.

While Hawk is certainly underrated, it's more of a midpack pick than an early one. It has a few issues:

1. You need another large-ish creature to really get milage out of the effect. And while that's not super difficult with all the vehicles around, it's by no means a gaurentee. Also this somewhat limits the Hawk's impact as a straight two drop (although producing some energy for other earlier drops mitigates this somewhat).
2. The Hawk needs to attack to give flying, and it's painless to block with any sort of flying or reach presence. This limits the number of fatty flying attacks Hawk can acutally put out.
3. While Hawk is very relevant on offense, it blocks as a mostly irrelevant 1/2 for 2 when behind and against aggressive starts. This is a common problem with low drop fliers, and Hawk's ability does little to mitigate this.

That said, it's still a fine card and did not deserve the complete disrespect it got at my store. The three white drafters at my first table let two copies wheel.

The subject is Limited General.
It was in a Sealed Deck game.

Probably Fairgrounds Warden, Fiend Hunters are typically better than straight pingers, let alone a limited use one. Runner up is the Renegade.

Daredevil is a great card if it comes back even once, and there's a lot of artifact focus/fabricate in black. Runner up is Doorbuster or Fragmentize, I think.

I hate draft.
>Fighting over cards and getting screwed if it doesn't work out in your colors.
Say
>Sealed only works 1 way
all you want. You still have to do that puzzle, don't you? You don't have to choose between rare-drafting and winning, either.

>>Fighting over cards and getting screwed if it doesn't work out in your colors.
That's why you want to stay open in pack 1

gonna go for a draft. wish me luck

Good luck and remember to read your cards thoroughly. Not doing that helped fuck me over.

Have fun pulling nothing of interest. Hope the draft is fun

Longtusk Cub, runner up Cloudblazer. For much the same reasons the consensus was Chief > Maruader in ;
Cloudblazer is absurd but is a two color commitment, whereas Cub is also great and is only monocolored.