Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

The final rounds are beginning Last Thread: Previous Thread Writefagging: None.

Summon Gaia user to have your shit OC added to the repository.

>Current Repository
drive.google.com/open?id=0B-bqTtfMpEHWVUI5dURzakE4VWc

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdGYxbF9rWGJMdHM?tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxenY5MlJDWl9pNW8?tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
docs.google.com/document/d/1FMdDLd9KGzA_FvX00IM9r3IquhBYW-jAzAs1soVJcX8/edit
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxclF5TWVWSk40STg?tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
pastebin.com/c5n4pYAG
metlife.com/assets/cao/mmi/publications/Profiles/mmi-gen-y-demographic-profile.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You put up the match-up image instead of the collection sheet. I'm honored. The rules for the rest of the Ice Age will be reposted again here in a moment. The post that begins this Round is copied here:

Welcome to Round Five. Two Hundred and Twenty Two Snowflakes are now only Eight.
The first match-up is as follows:

>Ka'Koarm
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdGYxbF9rWGJMdHM?tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

Ka'Koarm defeated the following Flakes over the course of the Ice Age:
>Round One: Sajek
>Round Two: Iohannes
>Round Three: Varametra
>Round Four: Narimi and Andromeda

>Ivander
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxenY5MlJDWl9pNW8?tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
docs.google.com/document/d/1FMdDLd9KGzA_FvX00IM9r3IquhBYW-jAzAs1soVJcX8/edit

Ivander defeated the following Flakes over the course of the Ice Age:

>Round One: Ivander was given a bye when Unit IV was disqualified.
>Round Two: Sonia
>Round Three: Sumarru
>Round Four: Tok and Del

The first battle of the Quarterfinals begins...
DISCUSS!

The Rules from now on are slightly different:

>During each round, flakes will be assigned to random opponents in single-elimination tournament fashion.
>Flakes will be treated as though they are all neowalkers in order to create a balance of power.
>Flakes with meme-levels of power will be treated as though they weren’t.
>During each round, small groups of flake match-ups will be revealed
>Arguments and votes will be taken from the thread over which flake is likely to prevail over the other.
>Discussion in the thread now takes a greater deal of importance: polls will only be released after a considerably reasonable amount of serious discussion has taken place.
>Polls will be up for 24 hours after their opening.
>Polls that appear to have been tampered with will result in a replay of that match.
>Ties will be broken by chance.
>After each round, the flakes that move on will be re-randomized on the roster to make match-ups unpredictable.

I'm voting for Ivander because I still like Puppers over Digimon 2.0

This is a perfect example for why I changed the rules, so I'll quote this one:

>Discussion in the thread now takes a greater deal of importance: polls will only be released after a considerably reasonable amount of serious discussion has taken place.

Nonsense no longer matters. Polls will no longer open unless I see some legitimate reasons to select a winner.

>forgetting Ka's character breakdown sheet
every time

Are you sure? I mean, with how things have been going that might be a very, very, long time. Maybe a two day maximum limit or something?

Ok, Ka is 75% meme machine.
I don't like Ivander either but I like him better and feel that in a fight that isn't powered by ANGER and JoJo stands and takes place on land would go in Ivander's favor
Is that serious enough for you?

>drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxclF5TWVWSk40STg?tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
Here.

Also, no, it's fine. Surely the thread can get its act together enough to post more than just a couple of non-meme answers to battes.

This is better, but could be better still.

Actually, Ka'koarm can move with literally unnatural speed on land as represented by his card list. He doesn't like moving on land, but it isn't an impediment to his speed when fighting. Also, they're both black/red flakes user, how do you figure anger isn't going to figure into it?

ANGER features pretty prominently in Ivander.

In brawn, I'd say this is one of the first times Ivander's been up against something as big and strong as he is; actually, I think Ka is bigger, and based on their spell lists he has minions that give him a SHITLOAD more brute force to bring to bear than Ivander has, so Ivander's at a major disadvantage in his preferred form of fighting.

Then it comes down to if RB dickery beats Ka's horrors and counterspells and control stuff. I feel like Ivander's pretty outmatched here; normally I feel like his sheet suggests he's got spells as backup for when being a fuckmothering werewolf and tearing his opponent to shreds isn't on the table, but Ka looks like he's at least equal if not better in punching and his spell selection might let him go longer and taller than Ivander in a magic duel.

I'm restricted to mobile right now and I really want to upload my very first flake. Any suggestions for pic editors to use?

Wait till you get home.

Repostin this after some edits. Rate my shitty speshul snowflake

Apologies for awful quality, but I just wanted to actually finish my first flake. Will improve later. Current portrait is placeholder till I can find a pic of a suitably cute brown girl to represent Anuja.

I lack home internet at the moment, that's why I had to do mobile.

When I get internet, I'll writefag. Bio is here pastebin.com/c5n4pYAG

Are there any other Kaladesh native flakes?

Also, I summon Gaia user to please add my flake to the thing

Me, personally, I won't be able to post any serious discussion for about 12 hours. Work an' all. So you may be waiting for my stuff for awhile at least.

To bump the thread and remind all: I am no longer maintaining the repository. That is Leon user's job now, so you should ask for him. I haven't even updated my own personal repo in over 12 threads.

Falling down in the job, eh? What did he buy you offf with to outsource, you filthy slut?

Sexual favors and a $25 gift card to Bed Bath & Beyond.

Let's get a conversation going. What kind of magical disciplines and knowledges are required to make a plane?

Preferably the planeswalker needs to be an oldwalker, of a non-human race and needs to have as many colors as possible.

I've actually thought about this a good deal. I think, at minimum, a planeswalker making a plane needs to have mastered a few areas. One; leyline creation, manipulation, and/or channeling. I'm sure this can be accomplished through several routes, as we see both Nahiri and Nissa, a lithomancer and animist respectively, doing something along these lines. Personally, I think lithomancy is the more required skill, since it seems to allow for more permanent creation and manipulation.

Two; creating dimensional spaces, accompanied by their own physical laws. This one is an obvious necessity, and since it likely involves aether manipulation, it could be a subset of blue or colorless magic. However, we have also seen lithomancy create dimensionalspaces through hedrons and whatnot, even if those spaces seem to have few if any physical properties.

Any other required skills are dependent on what kind of plane you are trying to create from that point. For example, if you want to make a plane of fire, it stands to reason you should have mastered a large subset of flame magics and red mana. If you want to make a plane that has a more balanced ecosystem and mana system, it stands to reason that you should have mastered and/or balanced many areas of domain magics. It is precisely this logic that led to me making Gaia domain, because I wanted her plane to be a balanced, full, and diverse ecosystem, and practically indistinguishable from a natural plane of similar complexity.

As much of a fag as is for trying to force this meme, he is right about typically needing to have oldwalker levels of power to make a plane. That's when the meme ends though.

Serra was a mono-white "human" walker and made her own plane out of white mana and only white mana.

Using animist magic would actually result in the more natural and permanent types of leylines. Nahiri's lithomancy is definitely powerful, don't get me wrong, but it's essentially using artifice to fix the plane you're trying to make.

Imagine if the hedrons weren't there to seal the eldrazi, and instead served the role of keeping Zendikar's leylines and mana under what little control they had. That's what using lithomancy to make your artificial planes leylines would look like.

This meme's a fact, supported by genuine MtG lore.

>Sarkhan, who has been four colors and spends most of his time in fights as a dragon can beat Nicol Bolas who has only been 3 colors since the dragon advantage was negated.

>Two color Venser got manhandled by mono-color Koth despite Venser having been best buddies with oldwalkers and being two whole colors

>Nahiri and Sorin fight, both two color oldwalkers, Sorin having more experience than her, both in general and in using two colors, and Nahiri wins, despite kor being no "better" than humans while Sorin is a super powerful blood mage Innistrad vampire.

In fact, nothing in lore's happened to say "oldwalker beats neowalker just because"
The closest we've gotten is Bolas beating everyone. On the same vein, Liliana needed Jace to beat Tezzeret. That's an oldwalker needing a neowalkers help to beat another neowalker.

First one was supposed to be "can't" Whoops. Point is, you're full of shit and you're meme isn't funny.

You're going to eat your words before the week's over.

The snowstorm isn't "official magic lore"

It might as well be, with how you faggots worship each other as being better writers than the WotC creative team.

>Thinking "better writers than the WotC creative team" is a compliment
>Or particularly hard to do.

If you're so salty why do you even come to these threads?

To see something that I played a large part in slowly transform from apologetic, self-aware cancer to egotistical, circle-jerking, blissfully ignorant cancer.

You say it's egotistical and circlejerking, yet I still see the majority of anons readily admit their work is shit. And I don't see the circlejerk, since we are still highly critical of flakes and their adherence to canon. So tell me, where and how do you see the egotistical circlejerk? Cite examples for me.

>the majority of anons
Yes, the majority of anons. You make my point for me.

If you don't want to see, no reason for me to try and force you to.

>Something that I played a large part in.
You are literally one of several anons, and all of us, even the namefags are interchangeable or expendable.

In short, you currently have a big head and think you're important to the creation of snowflakes in general.

Your complaints about circlejerking sounds like you made a flake or two and no one ever particularly liked them any more than the others, and now you're bitter about the ones people did like for whatever reason, so you cry "muh circlejerk, muh egotism" like a fox who can't reach the grapes.

Ironically, you don't seem to even know proper etiquette, the namefags are fagging mostly properly: When creating content relevant to the thread you put on a name so your shit can be easily found.

So that's why the names remain when they're not making content and haven't made content for God knows how long.

Namefags are still anons in my vocabulary. So I am talking about namefags also.

If you will not give specific examples, I am inclined to believe you are an antgonistic shit and filling the thread with memes to satisfy your own trolling senses. I am forced to admit that you add nothing of relative value to the thread.

You're such a shit.

On one hand, they might as well not, on the other hand, no one really cares enough. No one just says "Well Gaia knows everything about everything so we should blindly listen to him/her/tumblrgender and anyone who argues with them will be shunned and downvoted"

Meanwhile, you, a nameless user aren't doing shit in this thread but whining.

So go on, tell me, which big, mean, nameflake got voted up instead of yours?

You've got your opinions, I've got mine.

Give it a week and I bet you'll find people in these threads repeating these memes without any trace of irony and as though they're law.

In the meantime, have fun!

>If I act like a shitter, people will think I'm right about everything and repeat what I say.

Fuck you're delusional.

Are you perchance Inzhu user or Plaguelord? You sound like one or both.

I think almost any plane is going to require the use if either white or blue mana to some extent. They are the colors of order, and plane creation by its very nature is bringing order to the chaos of nothing.

>t:Azorious walker
Jund and Phyrexia got along just fine without blue or white.

God, your post hurts.

I just state what other people have said before me in less diplomatic terms.

I didn't even come up with the 'more colors equals more power' thing. I just cut it down into a compact, bite-sized statement after I saw enough people say it and enough people agree with it. The same logic applies to 'oldwalkers automatically win' and 'non-human walkers are superior.' Those are more statements I just chucked together after seeing enough people repeat them over and over again. The only difference is that they were verbose and diplomatic about it, while I just say it in a blunt, offensive way that you can get angry about.

So yes, let's wait and see. I assure you that you'll see people state this sort of thing unironically and as though it's the absolute truth. Not because I'm propagating it but because they genuinely believe it. I'm just mocking that belief.

To expand on that mindset that "nothing is chaos" and you're bringing order to it is a fundamentally Azorious way of looking at it, while other colors would have different views on it.

White by itself might not even see it as bringing order, but as bringing structure, faith, and light to the darkness of nothing. Rolling plains and spires of whatever stone people happen to build with, whether marble or whatever.

Green seems even more plane capable than any other color, being the nature of natural mana, the wilds, and primal/primordial worlds. Expect "Post eldrazi zendikar" like nature

Red sees itself bringing passion and energy where there is none, it's own special unlimited canvas to paint how it feels, a testament. Ulgrotha. Mountains and fire and lava flows that are devastatingly hot, yet possibly strangely beautiful.

Black sees it as bringing potential and opportunity to what was a waste of space. Utility, efficiency, and the dark things the other colors find squeamish.

And of course, blue is bringing it's idea of order. A perfectly working system, metaphorical cogs turning, etc.etc.

The point is "Bringing order to the chaos of nothing" is an inherently biased to be pro-WU, even though there's nothing to say any color is better at it than the other.

That said, blue will be important because WotC decided "Any form of research or studying, or simply reading a nonfiction book or wanting to invent something is Blue forever!"

edgy

Jund was part of Alara. It wasn't a separate plane. That said, you may have a point with pyhrexia. Obviously it was black dominated, but do we know for sure it was only black?

To put it another way, what about black mana lends itself to creation and order and structure that seems to be inherent to the creation of a plane?

Or perhaps I'm over thinking it. Demons are pure black mana and have an ordered form, so maybe while order is a white/blue thing, any color can shape complex structures with enough effort.

I explained myself a bit better
I just wanted to get that out before I went to do something.

While I don't hold the belief that "More colors = more power, nonhuman = more power, age = more power" I do think there is a generally consistent trend in canon that more colors, age/experience, and higher races (dragons and what-have-you) tend to have higher power levels. While it isn't guaranteed, since there are always exceptions, the trend generally holds true. Sometimes the anons who "stated it more diplomatically" also had somewhat logical arguments. Just because you disagree with an opinion does not make that opinion a meme. You are turning it into a meme with your shitposting, and those who shitpost like you.

However, when it comes to canon, whoever the plot demands be stronger at a specific time, that walker will be stronger, regardless of trend.

I've considered their logic, I've seen what I consider to be the flaws in it and I've spoken of these flaws and argued against their opinions. In the end, it really does boil down to those simple statements that I make. Sure, they might seem reasonable with the circular logic, loopholes and distorted context but when you strip away those details, they're saying the exact same thing that I say.

I'm not going to go quote-mining or try to justify myself any further. I'll just keep shitposting because it gives you something to discuss. Otherwise, the thread just keeps slipping down to Page 10. You guys are more interested in arguing with the shitposter than talking about the flakes you've made.

I see what you mean: it's the "there's more than one way to create" sort of mentality. At its simplest level, I saw stacking two rocks on top of each other as a WU thing, but I get how it isn't always. There's more than one way to stack rocks.

Moralistic shitposters. You're funnier when you don't try to justify your egotistical crap.

Varametra. Not mine but a fave I'm sad about losing :'(

>Moralistic shitposters
This.

Your oversimplification of their arguments eliminates all context and whittles their otherwise relatively ok arguments down to a parody of themselves, just so you can make a point which is only as true as the beholder believes. In the meantime, you say that shitposting discussion is more interesting, yet disclude legitimate discussion like You are ultimately attempting to justify your pessimistic viewpoints while trying to appear moderately logical or noble. It seems, however, that you are jaded and overly willing to complain about the thread's flaws instead of contributing content or positive discussion.

Second part meant for

I liked Narimi, and yet she lost to Ka. But you don't see me complaining about it.

So, in other words, you disagree with and therefore make fun of their views. I unironically assume you are ok with me disagreeing with and mocking your own views in turn, correct?

"I'm going to spam this meme until you think that it's popular opinion, because you can't tell who's posting."

Adorable as fuck.

Exactly, though you are right in that the colors used would heavily influence the plane. White Blue would probably end up with some kind of Azorious+Meletis hybrid like plane, while WRB would lead to a plane of deserts and volcanoes and the best sources of water being swamps or mountain springs.

Additionally, the inhabitants would definitely be affected by the availability of mana, with WU land thinking stepping out of law lines is worse than death, while WRB land is a plane filled with vampires or a super rich and powerful nobility that rules through being the strongest, most cunning fucker on the plane. Likely both. And maybe some kind of aristocracy made of second-bests and all the higher up made of vampires and all the aristocrats with power to spare makes angel warrior fucktoys to enforce their will like the orzhov
I need a mardu vampire and mardu angel legend, really bad.
My ideal Mardu plane would obviously be (Orzhov+Boros)*(Bant-GU)+Vampires^(Kaladesh artifce) across desert mountain lava hellscape of loveland
Our example of Mono W was Serra's realm, that was all floating plains and angels.

Yeah, I'm totally fine with that. And that leads to shitslinging contests like this where there are honestly no hard feelings because it's Veeky Forums, who the fuck takes arguments like these seriously?

You, evidently.

>haha! I'm just playing guys!
>nothing is serious, everything is permitted
>millenial shitposters

>metlife.com/assets/cao/mmi/publications/Profiles/mmi-gen-y-demographic-profile.pdf
Just so you know, if you were born between 1977 and 1994, you're a millennial. And if you're 39 or older, what the hell are you doing on Veeky Forums?

Reminder that you don't need to be X color to perform X color worthy feats i.e. Nahiri building hedron network which is 100% a blue thing, despite being white.

Your color represents your magical expertise and personality leanings, not limits the ways you can solve problems.

I repeat
>millenial shitposters
>muh nihilism and edge

What about the hedron network is blue?

It's literally a network of magic computers that control the Zendikar electric grid using magic science.

>Building a hedron network is blue
>A fuckton of stoneforging to make a bunch of artifacts into a really big Oblivion Ring effect is blue.
If anything the hedron network is white/red since they're the colors that make the stones. At the same time it's oobviously white because of what it does.

Also, Nissa replicated it using green mana, so clearly it's not blue. The whole setup seems to run on Naya in fact.

They're artifacts (traditionally lie in the domain of white, blue and occasionally red) made using blueprints from Ugin (colorless magic) that channel the mana of the plane (manipulating the mana of the land is usually green if anything) to imprison the Eldrazi (white is the color of imprisonment and locking threats away).

You could argue that perhaps using a network of artifacts to imprison a great evil is an Azorius method of handling things but my opinion is that it's a white method first and foremost. And yes, how you choose to solve a problem is an indicator of your personality.

That's something I forgot to neglect in . Earth magic is found not only in white but in red as well and Nahiri's method of creating artifacts is done entirely through the manipulation of earth. So that's another point to white and a point to red as well.

So what the fuck happened with Nissa's backstory? Did it get flat out retconned? If yes, when?

Constructing the hedrons worked for Nahiri because lithomancy fell into her skill set, which her colors are better suited for than others.

The theory that allowed that lithomancy to make effective hedrons for the purpose of stopping the Eldrazi came from Ugin, and is probably colorless.

I need a mardu vampire and mardu angel legend, really bad.
pic related

Not retconned so much as brushed over and not really mentioned.

Yeah, she made a tragic mistake but not because she's a foul, horribly racist elf supremacist but because she misunderstood the situation with Sorin and made a decision based on her gut.

But then how the fuck do they explain why her personality did a 180 on the subject of humans being icky, to suddenly being fine with everything ever and getting a crush on said an icky human?

Is it just a case of "It was long ago and completely untrue"?

Now how about one that isn't terrible, is actually, interesting lorewise, ins't terrible, and isn't ugly as fuck. Reynolds can't into aesthetics, at all.

Not that guy, but Ugin, the hedrons' designer, was probably partially blue and white before ascending color, and most likely would have never engineered hedrons as they are without the blue, since blue is the color related to complexity. I do not however argue that hedrons, now having been invented, need blue to be made or used, but to have invented them as they are in the first place probably would not have happened without blue. Nahiri was used because Ugin needed a means of constructing the hedrons, a skill set that he didn't have at the time but learned to do since then, but ultimately she was a matter of convenience to him and he would have settled for anyone capable of making things large and detailed with any amount of speed greater than decades. I do not doubt that the principles of hedrons specifically run on colorless concepts, but for Ugin to have comprehended such concepts without being born to them, would have likely required blue.

So I guess my point is if you're trying to make hedrons or something like them from scratch, you'll probably need some blue to understand the mechanics behind them and what they need, but if you're just copying them, from zendikar or tarkir, you can probably rely on red and white magic to build them with a hint of green to jumpstart them if the red isn't enough.

That actually wasn't retconned too much. They had a story in 2014 I believe called worldwaker where she got over her "humans are icky" mentality after the eldrazi nuked her entire elf tribe and she spent a long time surviving with kor and humans.

It's like that one comic of the old Nazi KKK dude exploring the world, interacting with people, and he stops being a Nazi, except it's Nissa

As a colorless focused planeswalker, Ugin's specialization is basically the same as being a magical theoretical physicist. Any planeswalker can use colorless applications, but only someone who studied the concepts in as much depth as he did would come up with the kinds of solutions to problems that he did.

Be more specific then. I agree though, bitch is ugly, unlike my beautiful waifu.

You're waifu a double shit.

Which icky human is she crushing on? I'm behind on my Nazi elf lore.

And to do so would have required an at least partially blue personality. As said before, his behaviour, and thus the colors that would represent him, appear blue/white, with the possibility some third color that is not well enough represented yet in text to really evaluate. Might be green with the strong favoritism of maintaining natural balance, over killing the threat, but I can't tell if that's a ruse yet.

And lets not forget when ugin out-mind-magic'd jace, proving he has at least some experience with a mainly blue skillset.

She's being a Solaire to Chandra's Sun.

Ugin strikes me more of the UG type of walker, possibly RUG because dragon.
He's more interested in the underlying mysteries of the natural world, beyond the question of matter, and more into the question of energy.
He's got no interest in actually helping people or being a good neighbor, so he's lacking white motivation, he also isn't trying to benefit from the eldrazi himself, and simply wanted to study them more than anything for the sake of it, so he's not black either.
So Ugin is definitely blue, but there's not really a thing white about him. He's beyond the games of morality and ambition, more interested in the natural clockworks of the multiverse.

As for understanding the hedrons and their mechanics, Ob Nixilis understood them quite a bit because he thought they were the key to getting his power back. He didn't make them but complexity by itself isn't blue. He created quite the siphon out of the hedrons to drain the Khalni heart out of zendikar before Nissa kicked his shit in.

And I really hate the meme that only blue studies. Kalades Any color can study, but it's the WHY that matters. It's like the mindset that only blue could into artifacts.

Chandra and Nissa are pretty Gruuling up with each other.

Funny, I thought Gideon was going to nail Chandra first. Well WotC has been pushing the political stuff for a while now. Only a matter of time before we had dykewalkers.

It's not political, it's just the way society is evolving right now. It's like literature generally not being racist anymore: authors gotta get with the times.

If we add in a little Lili, we get Jund. And since Lili and Chandra are buddying up, it's feasible.

>le current year

The irony of three women representing a survival of the fittest plane while dyking out is rich.

It's survival of the fittest, not procreation of the fittest :^)

Are you implying you DON'T want them to dyke out while Jace explore's Gideon's "charisma" on the side?

>women representing survival of the fittest ironic
I thought it was a board rule to keep /pol/ in /pol/?

Not even implying, senpai. Time to fucking purge the degenerates.

You're no fun.

How come all the creative writing forums, especially this one, are absolute cancer for one reason or another? Fuck, I just want to git gud at this whole "story" stuff, even if it's through learning from other's mistakes.

Kek. Also there's a firecrotch joke in there somewhere.

learn from your own mistake, never come to a place where self-inserts are the talk of the town expecting to learn good writing, especially character design.

Because people like to hang out and make silly jokes in their down time. You have to actually post writing to get people to read it but no one feels like writing at the moment. So we had a nice discussion about Ugin and plane building lore while waiting.

Learning from other's mistakes, m8. Plus there's intriguing character concepts here sometimes.

Trouble is, when people do post what they've made, it often just gets ignored, see >49618010 and , no feedback, nothing.

I don't mind jokes, that's not one of the reasons this place is cancer. I never said it was 100% shit all the time.