Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Why isn't your high-Charisma character using ghost syrup, a Ring of Sustenance, and Selective Tangibility/an Amulet of Grasping Souls?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Legendary Vigilantes playtest (ends next monday so check it out): docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit

DSP's Forrest started a patreon for her own 3pp company: patreon.com/forrestfirestudios

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

trovetokens.com/spellblank.html)
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg/view?usp=sharing
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/interrogator-alchemist-archetype),
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472513-Dreamscarred-Press-Psionics-Augmented-Occult
d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/ectopic-artisan
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Geon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Why isn't your high-Charisma character using ghost syrup, a Ring of Sustenance, and Selective Tangibility/an Amulet of Grasping Souls?

Because I show mercy to my DM and to my fellow players, and I'd appreciate finishing a campaign rather than getting kicked out.

Yeah, this.

/pfg/ can make disintigrator magus, pouncer eidolons, dread/antipali fear engines, million attacks per round psyarms and all sorts of broken shit, but I doubt any DM would allow those shenanigans at his table.

Jokes on you! I'm an idiot who couldn't hyper-optimize even if I wanted to!

Ha! Ha ha!

I'll try again in THIS thread...

I'm trying to find a resource for printing spell cards for pathfinder.

I'd be okay with buying cards, too, but it looks like what I want doesn't exist in any commercially available form.

So far I've found Perram's spellbook (thegm.org) and spellmaster (trovetokens.com/spellblank.html) and the both of these are on the d20pfsrd. Out of those two, the most recent version of Perram's is pretty nice and if I can't find anything better, that's what I'll be going with.

Anybody know of any other resources for this sort of thing?

Pic related: it's a really bad example of what I want.

Aaaand once more, for good measure

>Reposting this for the new thread, the Avowed's current public preview:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg/view?usp=sharing

>This link (and the uploaded PDF on the left) is to an 18-page preview, including the base class, enough options to play all the way to level 10, and a single pact (fiends). There'll be more to come about midway through October, once I get the rest written up, including many more pacts, several archetypes, and a buttload more abilities to pick from.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys have given, it's been great help.

I like Magic Set Editor for making cards; I'll adjust them in that, print them out on sheets, and cut them out before putting them in sleeves in front of actual Magic cards.

magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

Ok fa/tg/uys, I'm about to jump into a thunderscape game with a party of a cleric, paladin, inquisitor, golemoid (thunderscape class that's a fighter with mechanical parts), and a seer (thunderscape class that's pretty much an oracle). Should I go as a psionic, SoP spontaneous caster, steamwright (thunderscape class that builds non-magical inventions), or a mechamage (thunderscape class that's a wizard with a golem minion and crafting abilities, BTW I hate prepared casters and vancian magic)?

Say, I've got a question for everyone who's around. I'm looking at the Interrogator archetype for the Alchemist (d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/interrogator-alchemist-archetype), and I'm trying to figure out the following:

Are the serums also mind-affecting poison effects, or something different? Basically are they extensions of the Injections or are they a separate thing that gets attached. If they're separate then it makes it harder to boost the save DCs since I can't just take Poison Focus or similar effects, but it also means that they'll work against things immune to poison or mind-affecting effects. If they're attached then the opposite becomes true.

Serums are modifiers to the Injection. Injections don't have a DC until you slap a serum on them, but any poison boosters should still work.

Are there any chargens out there?

So essentially the serums are Will save-based poisons.

Well, psion's the only one of those I actually know anything about, so I'd say go with that.

I'm about to play a Psion in an upcoming game and specializing in Metacreativity. I'm still new to Psionics and know how Manifesting works, but what are some good feats for Metacreativity? So far I'm planning on specializing on building Astral Constructs.

For folks who've been allowed cohorts, how did you chargen them? Also, how did you justify it in-setting? Did you just pick one of the NPCs you met along the way? Did the GM end up pkaying them as a tagalong, or did he relegate them to your care for the most part?

In a 2 PC party, trying to figure out if it's worth takig leadership at 7 or not. That and what would be reasonable to get out of a cohort.

>Boost Construct
Absolutely vital for your build.
>Advanced Constructs
Not that vital, but might be nice to eventually pick up.

>Overchannel
Take damage to access stronger constructs one or two levels early.

Also, if you're focusing construct over anything else, there are some other lower tier psionic archetypes that focus or include having an astral construct around permanently.

Which ones would those be?

My cohort, the character's rowdy daughter, was made with npc rules and justification: when daddy takes breaks from family life by going on deadly escapades is it not the right of a girl in her late teens to make them even more harrowing by placing her inexperienced self in the way of danger?

As a GM what I have done is the following:
>player wants to attract a cohort
>they tell me what kind of person they're looking for (attracting a cohort is an active task)
>I build 1-3 possibilities
>if they like none of them they have to spend additional time looking
>they only get some of the cohorts stats at a time, they might not know them well enough to have seen them use greater dirty trick or something

Lots of players get very angry about this because I don't let them build the cohort. I certainly don't let them choose th cohort's items. Basically they were their own adventurer before they met you.

If possible I draw from existing NPCs that fit he bill. A player should have some control over what their cohort is, not full control.

If they want something particularly unusual (like a Troll Fury or something) they may actually have to go actively looking but I don't often do that.

The games for which cohorts were allowed were already high level, so i built the cohort alongside my main character.
Of all the ones that I built, the only one that made for a lasting game had the DM not only have me stat cohort and all the followers (although I was allowed to make most of the lower level ones the exact same), but had to give a two-three line description of each of the followers above level 2

Which book are the amazonian catgirls in?

So I have been doing more writing for the Unchained Gunslinger. I have actually drawn from my Scholar class to come up with some of the out of combat Contraptions.

An example would be the following:
Spiritual Contact Device (Su): You have invented a device that can contact another plane, looking much like a archaic telephone. Holding this device to your ears allows you to cast Contact Other Plane once a day as a spell like ability, using your character level as your caster level.

This is one of the more straight up just spell contraptions, and one that I am really not sure of as for the level of magic a martial should have regular access to. I am not sure if it is any longer in theme.

Also a combat contraption I have been working with:
Magnetic Coating (Ex): By spending 10 minutes mixing together various chemicals you create a magnetic paste. When applied to the surface of an armor of shield it imparts to the wearer DR 1/non-metalic. This is effective against any enemy using a metal weapon against you, including natural attacks from a metal creature, such as an iron golem. This DR increases to DR 2/Non-metalic at 3rd level, and every 2 levels there after to a maximum of DR 10/non-metalic at 19th level. Once applied a mixture retains its properties for one hour, after which a new batch must be created.

Honestly not sure about DR/Non-metalic.

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472513-Dreamscarred-Press-Psionics-Augmented-Occult

>Avant Guard Kineticist
A fairly big astral construct class, you get one permanently around basically all day, and you can ranged attack to immediately summon it next to an opponent and slam it.
The construct is very customizable - after level 6 it's the only class that gets three different menu options on their construct at a time, and you can swap two of them out at will.

Only downside compared to a proper manifester is that you can't overchannel it into a higher level.

>Shattered Mind Occultist, or Occultist with access to psionic implements
Metacreativity tool keeps an all-day astral construct around you. At a slowed scaling rate, but it's more of a background feature, and the rest of the class is highly versatile for other things.

>Empath Medium
Has a unique class ability in the monument zeitgeist that creates stationary markers at will that make your astral construct durations permanent if they're nearby.

Also,
d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/ectopic-artisan
Technically counts but not really since it bypasses menu options.

Also I've ended up thinking about the iconics for the Unchained Fighter/Cavalier/Gunslinger.

What do you all think would be the most interesting for each, race-wise.

The answer for all three is: Tengu

I want to feed her sardines and call her pretty!

I actually love tengu conceptually as the gunslinger. Shiny metal bits and engineering as a crow tengu is very flavorful. Likely if I did do that for gunslinger it would be taking all metal based contraptions.

Fighter should stay human, because the "Human Fighter" meme is pretty damn supreme. Tengu fit for gunslinger and tickle my funnybone something feirce "birdshot", hah so I'm gonna put one in for that. I honestly have no idea for cavalier though, first thing I think of when I hear cavalier is halfling thanks to that stupid small cavalier memebuild.

I was personally thinking goblin riding a goblindog as his main mount with a giant bat secondary mount.

>goblin iconic

that better not be a golarian goblin, my man, because I'm going to be mighty disappointed in you if it is

I like goblinoids, it's my biggest failing. PF goblins are silly for being such insane hedonists, but I like goblin dogs conceptually and some aspects of goblins (like goblin pickles).

Words mean little to the savage tribes of the jungle. You must instead convey your feelings with action specifically getting her more sardines.

Goblins in general aren't bad, but Golarian's goblins are absolutely awful, shitty meme machines.

I think it's more how they look than anything.

What if I spiked the sardines with catnip?

You'd be forced to spend the afternoon taking care of a very large, very strong, and very stoned cat-lady. Probably won't be easy, but if you wanted easy, you shouldn't have become an adventurer and gotten mixed up with big burly catazons.

Can we talk about pathfinder, or at least pretend to? Talking about your catgirl fetishes has nothing to do with pathfinder. I mean fucking really guys? I hate /pfg/'s obsession with lewdness, it ruins any form of discussion. What is even worse is the persecution complex that seems to come with it. Anyone who says it's not pathfinder related and they shouldn't talk about it in the specifically pathfinder thread gets harped on for "suppressing my fun". I don't care about your fun, have it in a different thread. Go make your fetish thread, I don't care, just please don't do it here.

Maybe Blood of the Beast will have cat-girls?

I fucking hope not. This veiled furry fixation is actively killing these threads. We're becoming as bad as the actual fucking paizo forums, just in a different way.

I solemnly swear I will not force or respond to anything that could be perceived as lewd for the rest of this general, user!

It's not about not responding to it. Tell me, how does talking about feeding sardines to a muscle car girl pertain to pathfinder. Why does it belong in this thread?

> Get into Pathfinder over summer
> Super fun
> Uni starts
> All 4 players have hyper conflicting schedules
> Only Sundays are free
> Exept not 'cause one players likes to "keep his Sundays clear for travel and stuff"
> Group decides to meet every other Monday at 7 because no one has class then
> This would mean I have to either
> 1. Hand around campus for 7 hours
> 2. Add an extra 2 hours and $4 of commute time when I'm most pressed for time
> Every other Monday seems super infrequent on the first place
> we haven't met in 3 weeks
The fuck do I do?

Anyone have the screencap of the radiation leak barbarian from the new planar book?

So my Veeky Forums friends, Pathfinder has a shit ton of optional and alternate rules spread throughout their books now, from Words of Power to Grouped Skills and a tons more.

Which of these optional rules have you guys used in your games? Which would you be interested in using?

I think I have only used Chase, Haunts, Skill Unlocks, Retraining, Siege Engines and Full Vehicle Combat. I feel like they keep making these rules but are just making them far too complex for people to apply to their games.

Play with them online?

I have used:
>Race Builder
(Note: Don't use this)
>Background Skills
>Fractional BAB
>Automatic bonus progression
(Good idea, bad execution)
>Occult Skill Unlocks
(Pretty sure these aren't optional, they're built into occult classes. Same with normal skill unlocks and unchained rogues)
>Retraining

>>Background Skills
>>Fractional BAB
>>Automatic bonus progression
>(Good idea, bad execution)
Do you mean all of these are bad execution or just the auto bonus?

Oh, sorry.
Just the auto bonus.
Background skills and fractional BAB are pretty great.

I actually really liked the idea of Background skills, think I would implement those in my next game.

Background skills are pretty neat. At the base, it's essentially two free skill ranks per level that can only be invested in certain skills.

Can't say for myself how well the expanded uses for Craft and Profession are, given as my group rarely finds said skills being used.

And then I finally get to craft the entire party a set of clothes for each member because it was time to travel through the Cinderlands.

Hey pfg, I'm playing in a rotating GM gestalt game, and my character just got eaten by an aberration, so I have to reroll. I'm having trouble deciding between a bard/master summoner, or cleric evangelist/master summoner.

We're running with 25 point buy (no 18s and no 7s before racial modifiers), standard WBL, and no 3pp. Every other character is primarily a martial damage dealer, so I'm leaning towards cleric, but the stat requirements probably mean I won't be able to do anything other than spellcast. As a bard, I could pick up a rapier or longbow and contribute outside of summoning and buffing. Any ideas?

Whatever fits the "classic"/most workable build of the class while still being cool and flavorful.

So like if you were making a fist wizard class, a good idea would be half-orc because of the sacred tattoo gimmick, subverting stereotypes about dumb orcs, and subtly reminding people that Half-orcs are awesome in almost any build point you could slot Human without needing a feat crunch.

Retraining, Background Skills, my own chase rules, modified VMC, Mythic as the equivalent of an artifact sword to an underperforming character, skill unlocks, skill consolidation and fractional BAB before saying "fuck that shit" and going to a 5e style BAB = Character Level, martial classes get more attacks as a class feature.

I'd probably use Haunts after reading the damn things.

I have my first game coming up and I want to make savage type character(like a barbarian) that rides an unorthodox mount (I.E non warhorse or standard mount) All Paizo material is allowed. Anyone got any tips on how I can achieve this? I don't care about the race so long as I can play this type of character.

www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/mounted-fury

Does anyone have any more information on Geon that I could read?
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Geon
This is very sparse, and I'd like to use him as a part of a campaign coming up. Anything more would be appreciated.

First off, you aren't contributing to the orgy of facefucking that is an all-martial party even remotely worthy of the name with stabbing as a Bard unless you go deep into some kind of Dervish/Arcane Duelist gimmick. Playing a straight Bard well in that party would mean pure support, possibly ranged fire support with a longbow and the standard Archery package.

Second of all, Master Summoner will make your DM hate you, and probably the other players, since it's gimmick is shitting out better fighters than the Fighters en masse.

If you play a Cleric, you can fill the buffing/utility/full caster niche and still throw down decently well with the right spells and domains (punch cleric with conductive gauntlets, Touch of Rest and two attacks = no save Sleep, for example).

The greatest trick Paizo ever pulled was convincing people CoDzilla doesn't exist in PF.

Would you be willing to post your chase rules?

I am running a kingmaker game right now where running from the random encounters has been more prevalent than previous games I have run and the base combat rules suck for escaping a battle. I did a side-by-side comparison of Pathfinders, 4e and 5e's chase rules and PF are so overly complex id love to see what you have done.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the GM will mind the master summoner providing that I can actually play it without taking forever. The other players are just as much if not more minmaxers than I am, so I doubt I'll be stepping on their toes with summoned monsters. I was thinking of more of a "support by evangelist/bard performance" and using the summons as a meat shield to soak damage.

I'm used to people saying that every character should have a combat option, so that's why I was leaning towards bard, but if I don't actually need that, then evangelist seems like a much better option.

>it's gimmick is shitting out better fighters than the Fighters
If at any point a martial is out performed by a single summon something gone terribly wrong.

Welcome to pathfinder, were everything always goes terribly wrong.

>martial is out performed by a single summon something gone terribly wrong.
Isn't this a meme? Eiodolan/Animal companion, maybe. But a straight summon, nah.

having 3 1/3 of a fighter is always better than a full fighter because of action economy + flanking

If you're outperformed by an Animal Companion/Eidolon you are an extremely poorly built martial, even if the animal companion is buffed.

If the druid invests everything in the animal companion's magic items, buffing it, and feats for it, then it might be somewhat comparable, but a well built martial will still outperform it.

A summon is no where near a 1/3 fighter though if the fighter is built properly, especially at higher levels.

The only time they're close in power is at low levels, and even then the different is obvious.

Especially when summons just die to AoE and have garbage saves.

I just marathoned the first book of Jade Regent, is it any good?

they're an all martial damage party. Do you think they'd be more optimized than the summons at high levels?

What did he mean by this?

Even at low optimization the only real way to be outperformed by fucking summons is through that one bullshit cauldron and a monster tactician.

Sometimes they are far better than a fighter, and this doesn't really change the higher you go.

Summoning 1d3+#, augmented bullshit monsters all with 3+ attacks, grabs, rake, pounce ect means one spell can net you 5-20 attacks with grabs. Casting one spell from the comfort of invisibility or fog and out of the way and one decent 33% chance roll netting you upwards of 20 attacks per round for blah-many rounds is sick. Fuck a fighter at that point.

See, the thing is, against appropriately CR'd encounters they're going to be missing quite a lot. They also do far less damage than a fighter.

Really the thing is, post a level 12 build and your summons/their stats. I'll build a level 12 martial that outperforms it. If I can't then you win. Put your build where your mouth is.

I will admit if it's a monster tactician inquisitor I probably will lose because of broken wing gambit shenanigans, but otherwise? I'm not really worried.

But in all seriousness if you can more power to you, I'll see if I can outperform what ever you make.

Not him, but that seems rather interesting as a thought exercise. 1pp-only, for the sake of discussion?

when using escape artist to escape a grapple, one uses the grapplers CMD as dc.
If the grappler has bonus to CMD in regards to grapples. Does this bonus also count against the escape artist DC?

Buildposter pls stop

Well that's interesting. I helped my GM build a cohort for one of his other games, and he had asked the player taking leadership a few questions to determine class and race, then made the cohort with the elite NPC array. That was in a game that already had 3-4 players, though, so I imagine that's the reasoning. I'll have to just ask what I'd end up with if I took leadership, since I'm taking it in a party with only 2 PCs. Don't want to cheese it, I'm just not sure what's even open to me.

I'd imagine my GM would probably beef up the cohort compared to the other ones he's allowed, since the game is basically a "solo campaign" on account of the "second PC" being run by the GM. I wouldn't be surprised if I just end up effectively running a second PC of my own with it. If he does let me go whole hog, then I might bring up the vigilante warlock stuff again, since I doubt I'll get many chances to use it otherwise.

See the thing if without bench mark builds we're just throwing wild claims around. Asserting claims without support means fucking nothing.

Yes, sounds reasonable.

Why is wolf and fish such a popular ship in Touhou art?

I dunno man, it was just one of the only "person and their follower" images I had. I imagine it's because it's cute.

What levels though? 10, 15, 20?

Or, how about anyone giving a screenshot of p.25 of Horsemen Of The Apocalypse? Or whatever page in Inner Sea Gods he's on? I guess he's supposed to be in there but I don't have those books.

>BBEG turns out to be my supposedly deceased father who died valiantly in war
>He actually is a piece of shit who left us to become more powerful and conquer the world
>He's also a high level caster
...what's my brawler even going to do? fuck...make the bbeg related to my char for what? so the other casters of my group get to beat him? fuck this shit. Fuck, I didn't ask for this level of spotlight

Yep.

Wow. Its especially sad since i bet the GM thought he was being cool by involving player backstories. Instead he is gonna have the dramatic moments stolen.

I want to come up with a pun so bad but nothing comes to me. It should be easier since you need a ship to capture fish anyway

You've just gotta pull the ol' Han Solo on him. Find a nice bridge.

GRAPPLE HIM, PIN AND READY ACTION FOR SILENCE.
GIVE YOUR OLD MAN A HUG

12 was the agreed upon level.

>Freedom of movement lol

Anybody know the thunderscape stuff? I'm trying to build for a campaign in that setting and have no idea what to do.

Starfinder when?

Allowed the players to take a cohort. Took a crab in a bucket with Incanter levels to Craft shit for the party.

He later traded out the crab for the ship when they Awakened it.

I should say 'no' more often.

Awh what? They got rid of the TK BucketCrab?

What is this? A laser sword for ants?

Okay, so, I got a bit sidetracked by some dinner. Gonna work on this build now, seems like a fun exercise.

Fish is legitimately the cutest Youkai in Touhou.

Hell, Mero is the cutest girl in MonMun if you don't see their personalities.

Why are the Japanese so good at drawing mermaids? Is it the fin ears?

>Fuck, I didn't ask for this level of spotlight

You wrote a character backstory and didn't expect the DM to use it?

Personally, my favorite japanese mermaid is the one done by Toumasu

Well, to begin with in my backstory wasn't mentioned my old man surviving the war, being actually a cunt and turning into the bbeg.

Ofcourse it didn't, otherwise it wouldn't be fun.

Has anyone the imgur album of Divine Anthology Companion?

Jesus fuck, why is optimizing summon monster so tedious?