EDH/Commander general

Big Scary Threats edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

edhrec.com/commanders/adriana-captain-of-the-guard
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-reanimate-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/unlimited-powered-hedgehog/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-02-15-xenagos-smash/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Changed my Muzzio deck into this, thoughts?

I'm just gonna say it
Kaalia is ugly

Why do ugly girls think they can dye their hair like Ronald McDonald and it will make them look less ugly?

If you're going to loop Sharuums better to kill with Bitter Ordeal

My rafiq also tends to get neutered the moment he hits the board or I try to attach/cast protection.

I've learnt to put global protection on the board like ascetiscism or new!Sigarda before casting him, unless I pull real fast sol ring or signet t1-2 shenanigans and get him out on turn 2 or 3.

Truth be told, I can't blame them, I've had games where I walked right over everyone in a single turn out of the blue, so it's just appropriate reactions to a game ender.

I like sharuum a lot, I hope you also run blood artist and sculpting steel and such so the combo is heavily redundant

Make sure you pack enchantment/artifact removal for gy hate

I have that as well as Blood Artist but the Energy cards are new and I think they are pretty neat. And it retains some of the what's on top subgame that Muzzio had, so it's still exciting.

>Big Scary Threats
This is deemed a Big Scary Threat at my table. It's more that he BECOMES a Big Scary Threat very quickly if he's not dealt with.

>Want to build a mardu commander deck
>Mardu's got nothing but gimmicks, Voltron, or boring shit.

This is what it was like to want to play Jeskai before Narset and Shu Yun came out, wasn't it?

What are the chances that the 4-color products coming out this year will have some kind of interesting wedge legends in there too?

>What are some of the important cards to run with her? I can't think of anything good out of what I already own.
She's a little new for EDHREC to have really tuned suggestions, but it's still a solid resource.
edhrec.com/commanders/adriana-captain-of-the-guard

Pretty much just run solid value board dudes, evasion/hastemakers (Original Odric, Archetype of Aggression, Anger, etc) and the good extra-combat phase cards (Aurelia and/or Waves of Aggression can win games with just Adriana on board). It's a tough balance with how wide/tall to make it, but don't commit too hard to either (Brimaz and Gisela are both fantastic). Don't get trapped by cute things like battalion (some are good, don't get me wrong). Don't forget land destruction. It's great for securing wins mid-late game when you have board presence.

>my sides
It's to distract from their gut. If you're looking at their face, you aren't focusing on the horrible funhouse mirror beneath the tits.

I feel like the whole point of skullbriar is that removal isn't great against him

A well-timed Hexmage or Thief of Blood in the mid/late game can really fuck him up

Post your favorite wincons

Aside: It makes me feel sad when people get salty over an Ideal win. I get it, you want to cast your fun spells and everything, but Ideal is just another expensive sorcery speed "win the game" effect which are a dime a dozen in EDH. It doesn't even win on the spot; people often get a turn to deal with the lock before it becomes actually oppressive. Yet people are A-OK with insta-losing to Tooth & Nail or Craterhoof.

shrug

Or, you bounce him once and the skullbriar player cries.

I was playing Zedruu Enchantress and pulled off Paradox Haze + Starfield of Nyx + Form of the Dragon + Second Chance combo.

But Laboratory Maniac is the most fun wincon i own.

Assembling Form of the Dragon combos with Enduring Ideal in my old Zedruu deck was lots of fun for a while.

Literally wait a week or two, the 4 colored legendaries will be spoiled by then

I bet that has never once worked for you.

I have him there as another double strike source. I switched out Soulcatcher for the white nighthawk and I also put in Gisela now that I picked one up, but I haven't updated the list yet. I didn't take Reveillark because it only gives flying, which a lot of my creatures have, and I already have a few sources of graveyard recursion.

It works a lot really. People have to kill every single creature I play with Xeno out so I just wait to play a real kill card like Mal.
I do have people in my group scared of Mal now at least.

Not that user but you would be surprised how often this one shots someone.

>Not playing MAXIMUM POLITICS Marchesa

baka desu fampai

I don't think people are usually ok with tooth & nail craterhoof wins eithet.

What do you fetch to lock down the table with Ideal?

Why do people have to kill every single creature you play?

But it doesn't even one shot someone unless you have mana back equal to the toughness of the combined total of whatever your opponent has, plus GR.

As a xenagos player, this is one of the more telegraphed plays you can pull off. A spicier alternative is using Malignus with Overwhelming Stampede, then buffing it with Xenagos. Alternatively, you pump malignus with Xenagos and then hit someone with Chandra's Ignition, or Burning Anger. You could even use arcbond, malignus and gratuitous violence, archbond targeting whatever is blocking malignus.

Hit him with infect. A few -1/-1 counters and he never gets cast again.

Because they tend to deal 12+ damage each.

That doesn't work anymore

What? Of course it does. If Skullbriar is bounced, you can respond by sending it to the command zone, but that's in response to it getting decked or put into your hand. Doesn't the change of zone take priority, to allow putting the commander back into the command zone?

Not sure what you mean with your nonstandard usage of "priority" and "in response" here, but the bottom line is this: the commander replacement effect can be used to replace your commander moving from any zone to another, so you can replace skullbriar getting bounced or tucked with him going to the command zone, he keeps the counters

That is incorrect

It's a replacement effect. They are never actually in those places. If your commander gets hit by a wrath for instance your opponent can't necromancy it out of your graveyard before it's put into the command zone.

Wait wait wait wait, sending the commander to the command zone doesn't go on the stack? Literally why?

it's a replacement effect

it's just like choosing a color for Iona, can't be responded to

I must say, I didn't know that. That's a stupid fucking rule, I'm going out to buy and play skullbriar until that rule's changed.

Never stop being bad at Magic, Veeky Forums

>obscure rule that's format specific, has clearly been changed recently, and really only applies to that one commander
>"look at this retard who doesn't even know this ruling"

Replacement effects don't use the stack user, read Darksteel Collusus. It's not like Sheldon invented replacement effects, somethings don't use the stack because you could do horseshit with them if they did (like reanimate a Blightsteel to cheat him into play turn 2).

Nope, not this one commander, replacement effects are all over magic. Veeky Forums is bad at the game, you illustrate this point further.

See, I understood it in the context of... whatever not decking yourself by stashing crazy fatties is called, but I just didn't understand how you could send your commander to the command zone. I thought it was a state based action contingent on your commander not being on the battlefield.

for your edification, the same rule applies when a spell or ability checks to see if a creature 'dies'
i.e. if you have your commander equipped with a skullclamp and then it gets destroyed/toughness set to 0, you won't draw 2 cards unless you have them sent to the graveyard

Well to be fair, it's literally never been a triggered ability or used the stack, it's always been a replacement effect, hence the name commander replacement effect

The only change is that you couldnt replace tuck or bounce before but now you can

>Jeskai (my build)
Lock: Humility + Dovescape or Rule of Law + Possibility Storm
Protection: Solitary Confinement + Honden of Seeing Winds, Nevermore
Win: Form of the Dragon + Second Chance + Starfield of Nyx, Honden of Infinite Rage
Why Jeskai: 2 locks in case some pieces get stuck in hand, Zedruu as a commander who gives you the best synergy for an Ideal shell/enchantment control deck
Why not Jeskai: Tutors aren't great

>esper
Lock: As above with no backup
Protection: As above
Wincon: Palace Siege, Triskaidekaphobia (with Oloro)
Why Esper: Better tutors, Oloro is a better goodstuff control general
Why not Esper: No backup lock, slower win

>5c
Lock: As above with Night of Soul's Betrayal and Living Plane to make the lock harder
Protection: As above
Win: As above
Why 5c: Hardest Ideal lock, green ramp, black tutors
Why not 5c: $$$ manabase

>state based action
I think you should quit throwing around magic jargon you don't understand if you want people to stop making fun of you

It's actually a pretty good rule. All kinds of awful shit and broken friendships would happen if you could respond to the commander moving to the command zone

Ehh I mean as long as the other part of the rule stays the same, i.e. As long as t triggered every time your commander moved zones, then it wouldn't be much different

If they tried to do something in response it would just trigger again

Postan from other thread

First deck, i have Plunder the Graves as base and i printed a fuckload of proxies to try, R8

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-reanimate-2/

Should i change anything? Is there any alternative card to the ones i put in that can do stuff better?

The most horrific is that if it was a triggered ability is that it could stifled and the like. Making the antituck movement useless.

Jesus Christ dumb shit comes out of Veeky Forumss mouth to fast to help them

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/unlimited-powered-hedgehog/

My list in case anyone cared to take a look. It was Muzzio until 2 days ago so there's a lot of left over from that deck.

>Jesus Christ dumb shit comes out of Veeky Forumss mouth to fast to help them
>to fast to

Ah, yes. Correcting someones grammar, the last recourse of someone fanny frustrated on the internet.

There's always punctuation if that fails.

Post interesting generals

What is this expression trying to convey?

>Sensible Chuckle.png

Ayesha Tanaka's art description was clearly "Show us someone taking a selfie with a suit of armor they pissed on; please crop out the snapchat bar though."

fug

Even though I'm probably a month late, I finally made this.

Also, does anyone have a good Hazezon list? I have the commander but I can't quite balance all the elements the deck needs to flow smoothly.

By the sound of it, it's because they're awful at the game.

That's fine. He's not that great.

She seems alright to me, but then I use her for her power, not waifuability. She'd do so much better with some gorgeous Nielsen art, but then many female characters would. Hell, Kev Walker could make a fantastic Kaalia that's also a badass.

That iwamori of the open fist is amazing, what's the kill count up to?

Idk man, in a Xenagod deck every creature is 2-3 shotting people so you have to deal with them at a reasonable clip

He hasn't ran him for a while, but it was high teens last time I checked. Keep in mind, it's only a notch per deck's commander.

>We will never have therese Nielsen Kaalia
Just fuck my shit up
I really like the artist who did Teysa 2 as well. Forget who it was.

A couple of days ago a bunch of Gruul players were rambling and I asked about Thromok. I built a deck and tested it.

>Normally a Mono-Blue, azorius, Esper player
>Decide to build with the two colors which I never touch
>Have a Mayael player that always makes "Biggest cock jokes"
>Lets try to have some fun
>Be in first game
>Fighting a Teferi, Mayael, Trostrani and Kharador
> By mid game I play pandemonium, I have 8 tokens, Anger, Brawn, and Stalking Vengeance on the field
>Blue player decides not to counter it, Tells table to make me "pay for my arrogance" as a joke
>Starts dropping giant krakens
>Mayael starts dropping huge shit as well, enjoying the free damage on me through my own enchantment
>Kharador feels bad for me, drops Avenger and targets Blue for being an ass
> Trostrani drops Worldspire Wurm on my ass
>Have only 2 life left
> Finally reaches my turn
>Drop Thromok
>Turns out Blue doesn't have counter
>ohgoodie.jpg
>81/81 bursts from the ground, Pandemonium nukes the blue player dead
>Anger and Brawn, now dead, allow Thromok to annihilate the Trostrani as he was only able to block 47 of the damage
>Afterwords I fling my giant worm into the Mayael player and Vengeance finishes off the Kharador for the win
>Make biggest dick joke
>Immediate Archenemy next game
>Despite the Archenemy still won twice more that night over 6 games
>once with Descent of Dragons eating 25 tokens and a Haste enabler
>another time with Chandra's Ignition on a 450/450 Thromok with doubling season out
>Deck is fun to play, can come back from setbacks and is always relevant with a number of ways to win

Holy shit I'm a Gruul fag now. Ordered the core of the deck already and am trading for a doubling season next weekend. Why the fuck haven't I tried this out before... Its fucking hilarious how well this deck worked.

Are all Gruul decks this crazy?

Masterpiece Series could theoretically make it possible. Probably have to wait for a return to Alara first.

Karla Ortiz did Envoy of Ghosts. Definitely some cool art, even the style feels Orzhov somehow.

I mean it just gives them haste and double power. It's really not as threatening as he's making it out to be.

Do you have a XGod player in your group?
The deck kills tables very fast if it's not carefully handled.

I don't consider it all that threatening when you look at the strategy as a whole, I'm just saying the claim that people feel like they have to kill every Fattie he plays isn't unreasonable to me, it feels like that when I play against my friend's Xenagod deck, everything is a turn away from killing me

Your doing the good lords work user...

And yes, Gruul is all about the power plays. When you want to expand go for either Omnath for token beatdown, Wort for spellslinging, or Ruric Thar for a control through creature build. They are all awesome!

You're a fucking moron ifor you can't understand how quickly the deck can drop an entire table without removing 90% of the fatties they play

My group has an xgod player and generally if he makes it to the late game then we have to focus him

You don't seem to understand the kind of creatures this deck plays

First of all calm down, second, if you read my post again I'm sure you'll notice that I'm on your side of the argument

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-02-15-xenagos-smash/

Here's my list, check out the average power of the creatures.

Look into avoid fate, rebuff the wicked, or forbid...

Infect is useless after they figure out about any instant speed sacrifice a creature card.

>Krosan drover
Never seen this card, I like it

It's pretty sweet
Going from 4 to 7 is a blow out

I run pic related to interact with anything in that doesn't rely on nonland permanents. Anything else I can handle less dickishly, but the issue is that these two cards are infinitely more powerful, effective, and impactful than Reliquary Monk and Bone Shredder.

There's a problem with having trump cards though: you run the risk of always winning or (even worse) starting an arms race. So, how would you suggest I move forward?
>Choose at the beginning of the game whether or not I will use these at all
>Find significantly weaker versions of these cards so I can still interact, but they aren't near-guaranteed victories
>Stop using these as soon as the problem player is dead

My problem with solutions 1 and 3 is that to me those actions say "I think you are so shit that I'll just discard the most powerful spells in my deck and still win." My problem with solution 2 is that there may not be a suitable middle ground between "takes out Mizzix storm" and "doesn't take out Gahiji badstuff." Balancing a deck for one's playgroup and meta is hard.

Play the cards in your deck and cast them as necessary. Otherwise don't cast them. Just because you draw the mind twist doesn't mean you have to play it.

I don't think either of these cards is powerful enough in multiplayer to be even worrying about this

It sucks to be the person who gets hit with mind twist first but it's still just one person getting hit with it

If you're winnin every game you could consider toning it down but it's better to just help your playgroup get better with deck advice and such

To be fair both cards lend themselves to different strategies, same goes with Reliquary Monk and Bone Shredder.

Armageddon is good in aggressive decks and in EDH I find MLD is the only way for aggressive decks to get under control decks. Like a Boros deck just won't beat a control deck in a 40-life format if you can't stop them from casting spells and take advantage of your early game power.

Mind Twist is good for combo decks to assure that you can go on uninterrupted. I play Phage as my commander and the last thing you want is someone disrupting your ways to play her and you end up losing. So hand destruction is the best way to do it.

Arms races happen in any playgroup. The best thing to do is constantly innovate. When you bring something new and unprecedented to the table it means your opponents don't know what they have to race against and it often gives you the advantage.

I also keep an array of decks around at different power levels. I have competitive decks and I have more fun decks. I play depending on what I feel like and what my playgroup is playing.

It's tough to get it to fire off, but when it does, nobody ever expects it, and everyone loves how insanely suicide-Johnny it is. Use Angel's Grace, Phyrexian Unlife, Children of Korlis or Tainted Sigil as insurance in case it gets disrupted.

So I was thinking of getting playmat for Ruric Thar.
I can do simple design stuff on my own so making the art and getting it made is no problem.

The problem I have is I have no idea what I want it to be.

I was thinking along the lines of
>I CAST FIST
>SHITTY WIZARD
>TAKE YOUR FANCY SPELLS AND EAT IT

If it helps at all the deck is rather punishment based.

>Cast that spell little mage I fucking dare you
Obviously you shouldn't be running Browbeat, but its art is pretty fitting.

I run the the more fun version.

It isn't perfect, but my god is it hilarious watching the table squirm in disgust.

Christ that's horrible. I love it, would run Godo just to facilitate it.

Oh this is TASTY. I love gunboat diplomacy in decks, what other commanders do this kind of stuff?

Are you telling me you don't already run Godo?

I really want to build Zurgo, but I get the feeling that packing a ton of Wraths and a semi-consistent mana base would make the deck uncomfortably expensive, how true is this?

Alright, so why is no one talking about the best card printed for commander in years?

This thing works with EVERYTHING