MTG Standard General

MTG Standard General

QOTT: What card seems dormant now, but might have a snug place in the meta?

I think pic related has a chance in a white/X anti-vehicles deck. If vehicles do become rampant (mostly Copter) this card will prevent a crew for one more turn under the right circumstances and stall it out a bit more if you don't have Fragmintize to just get rid of it all together.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/484622#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/really-bad-eldrazi-aggro/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=417665
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rug-evo-hulk/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-memerange/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/485561#online
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-10-16-mono-white-equipment/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-10-16-hot-garbage/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just built this : mtggoldfish.com/deck/484622#paper

How fucked am I ?

If player 1's Keiga the tide star attacks and player 2's Keiga the tide star blocks it; both players want player 3's beater, who gets it?

I think that in this situation, the player whose turn it is gets to order the stack?

that card nearly fucked me right out playing emerge against hotwheels. thankfully kozilek's return exists and elder spaghetti has flash.

in other news a one-of combustible gearhulk is a great way to gas up emerge as an eldritch evo target and emerge fodder.

also shout out to filigree familiar.

Player 2. Player 1's Keiga will go onto the stack 1st since its their turn.

>filigree familiar
Name one flaw.

Help me make this deck not suck, please

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/really-bad-eldrazi-aggro/

I don't really see how it could work, desu.

You have no card draw, no way of cheating out a bunch of spells, no lifegain besides the Reservoir... How do you manage to win?

extremely similar decks did well at the recent tourney

they work better than they appear

Before someone bitches me out about going to Reddit, what do you guys think of this combo?

Goes on the stack in turn order. Player 2 gets control momentarily, then player 1 gets it.
First in last out, mate.

Uhh, it's cool but where the fuck would it be played?

Cheating out Phage the Untouchable is always neato.

I'm starting to see the synergy, actually. With Parodoxical Outcome, getting the cheerios back to hand doesn't hurt you and you draw that many as well.

Seems kinda fun, actually

People are trying to find a reason why its not objectively the worst rare printed ever.
There may be 'bad' rares, but this thing literally just helps your opponent.

pretty neat, but going through that much work to get a creature that's just big and nothing else usually isn't worth it. Your opponent will never take the Eater unless they have no idea what they're doing and most decks can just deal with it pretty easily/kill you before it matters

why wouldn't you just be trying to do it with Flickerwisp and Emrakul?

>People are trying to find a reason why its not objectively the worst rare printed ever

Damn but that's flavorful as all hell.
>I know I'll pay for it in the morning, but I will not rest until this works.

and you basically don't play a single 0 drop until you actually land the Reservoir, so turn 4 it's pretty likely that you just gain a fuckton of life

you still get turbo fucked by vehicles and shit but it's still kinda cool

Harmless offering I guess.
It's pretty fucking shit though.

It's at least a Harmless Offering target.

>give your opponent an enchantment that just lets them draw an additional card
>that late in the game

I'm sure they'd just love to have it

>these guys don't know
Just bought 100 copies of Oil for $60, I'm about to be one rich son of a bitch in a week or two.

That's all I'll say.

>There may be 'bad' rares, but this thing literally just helps your opponent.
You could just play cards that only benefit you.
Are the common, or easy to build decks around? Of course not.
Let's say the two cards are both Crovax, Ascendant Hero, you're playing monowhite, and they're playing any colors except white. If they take one, they get a 5/5, but you get two anthems and two anti-anthems. If they don't take one, you still get the double anti-anthem for a split second (eradicating any X/2s on the field) and still get a Crovax out for two CMC less.

Yes, this is an unbelievably specific circumstance that will never come up in any game. But it goes to show that no card is ever useless.

Except Great Wall. That card is always useless.

>burn up the hour counters until there's one
>then you give it to them.
Yeah it's pretty bad still but it makes their hand size one.

It actually makes their hand size 0.

You'd keep Midnight Oil on your side for 2 turns, Harmless Offering, in a few turns they have no more card draw. Then you just have a field day.

But that's minimum turn 8 win, which is slow as sin.

>in a few turns they have no more card draw
What?
Midnight Oil always gives card draw. It just means they have to pitch their hand at EOT.

>one with nothing

So when there's 0 counters on Oil, you just ignore the remove 2 hour counters part? Isn't it tied together with "and"?

Even if you can't remove cards, it doesn't say to do anything if you can't. So you will still draw. The ability isn't countered because you can't do what it says to do.

t. soon to be bankrupt timmy

I'm going to burn every copy of this fucking card I see.

(me)
Can't remove tokens, I mean.
You know I may as well just post the ruling that says so.
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=417665
>If Midnight Oil has no hour counters on it, its first triggered ability will continue to trigger and have you draw an additional card, even though you can’t remove any counters from it.

It's really quite a black card, to have yourself go to "draw 2 per turn, hand size is 0". Not unworkable, really. Real bad for control though.

More like soon to be making over $5 per card at a $0.60 buy in.

Just wait fucker.

It honestly isn't terrible, but there are so many better effects in black that allow you to draw an extra card a turn with much easier to manage effects (Phyrexian Arena, Bloodgift Demon, Underworld Connections, etc).

Well, I played against it a few times with an RW Allies Equipment deck. It slowed me down, but it's hardly a show stopper like Kalitas, Avacyn or Thalia.
I still think it's worthy, tho.

Weapons enthusiasts?

Take what you've got and turn it into WUR Space Invaders.

>mfw I beat a RB deck because the stupid fucker kept getting his Combustible Gearhulk bounced and kept on casting it even though he had Midnight Oil out and I kept on letting him draw
>mfw he decked out before I got down to 15 life

>Make deck with Filigree Familairs, Matter Reshapers, That artifact creature that decreases costs of artifacts by (1) and herald of kozilek which decreases cost of colorless cards by (1), and the artifact lord
It's fun being able to drop familiars for (0) and play the boat for 3.
I desperately want my deck idea to be a thing but dropping 3/2's,2/2, and 2/3's for 0-2 actually isn't strong enough for standard apparently.

Are there any good colorless cards? Emerge sounds nice but I want to break this shit sideways.

I'm liking Kird Ape 2.0. I'll likely build RW weapons trainer or the RB that was floating around the SCG open.

You may wanna run tide drifter as added insurance against kozilecks return.

This Standard is really weird compared to previous standards: midrange literally doesn't exist.
Why? Well, here's the thing. Aggro decks know they have to get home by turn 5, and many of them are packing vehicles like Smuggler's Copter. Midrange doesn't have a card like Siege Rhino to counter these strategies right now. Longer-term decks like Delirium also kill Midrange, as landing an Emrakul typically just ends the game.
What's left? Hard aggro decks, Emrakul decks (Aetherworks Marvel is definitely a thing, Delirium still exists) that win long games, and probably some form of Eldrazi decks. There may also be some Planeswalker control or Crush decks left, but I don't think they're particularly well-positioned.
What does that have to do with this? Well, to start, I've tested and already cut Cataclysmic Gearhulk. It's too slow and too limited to affect go-wide decks and it's a really bad finisher at 4/5 with no evasion/protection. It's not a playable card. Skywhaler's Shot misses too many of the most relevant cards right now - it may be good after Emrakul is gone, but for now, I'd much prefer playing things like Dec in Stone and Blessed Alliance. Angel of Invention probably shouldn't even be rated - it's just bad as a constructed 5 drop. I don't even think Avacyn is playable in this format.
Basically, this format is "Core Set Limited, the Constructed format". You're either playing aggro or you're playing "who can stick their bomb first". And the bombs are Emrakul, maybe some of the other Eldrazi, and maybe Brisela.

Convince me not to quit magic.

Mid-range defently exists in the form of R/W vehicles.

They're finally releasing fun and viable sets. Quit when they fuck up badly.

why post this again?

RWeapons Trainer is great imo. I like playing it with allies because WTrainer, SHOutfitter, RBushwhacker and CClaws have ally Synergy. Kor Whirlblade and Lantern Scout can abuse it a lot.

It's good to have information after the start of a new standard

>Name one flaw.
it's not an enchantment artifact creature land for delirium

Its not good information, its one user fishing for (you)s by spamming his diatribe in every standard general

It needs to die for you to get the draw.

;_;

it's a flaw but having evolution replaced in my hand on cast takes a lot of the heartache out of fighting blue

My take on jeskai. I like hooglands list but i think it needs to be more proactive when it has the lead.

>people think midnight oil is bad

holy fuck

Top 3, if not the worst rare to grace this earth.

It's been less than a week with a shitty SCG tournament as the only point of reference when we know that the Pro Tour ALWAYS makes the SCG decks look like total shit. On top of that everyone is going to start main boarding artifact hate, so Copter isn't going to be as good going forward, guaranteed. Your comment is fucking stupid.

>IN A SET WHERE DUBIOUS CHALLENGE EXISTS

HOLY SHIT BUD

>fabricate
>make tokens or put an X/X counters on creature
>not a new mechanic

>crew
>tap down board to make artifacts vehicles so you can tap them when attacking
>literally the antithesis of board presence

>energy
>way too parasitic outside of standard and limited to be good in other formats
>requires you to be all in on energy strategies

This set is shit m8

>>requires you to be all in on energy strategies
Maybe if you're a blue fag

repeating digits decides which deck i play at the next standard iq i hit this month

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rug-evo-hulk/
>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-memerange/

It's literally a Phyrexian Arena that doesn't pain you every turn once you reach the later stages of the game. It's definitely too slow to play in the maindeck right now, but it's very good in grindy mirrors. Holy fuck, you kids are dumb.

>how does cleanup phase work, Dad?

you can't main board artifact hate in a midrange or aggro deck.

and control decks can main board them and get punished for having them because they don't have draw spells.

>you can't main board artifact hate in a midrange or aggro deck.

>you will never play kologhan's command in standard again

Is MemeBrain deck viable of the lost of Network Ring Lands makes it shittier?

mtggoldfish.com/deck/485561#online
or if you don't feel like clicking a link
4 Herald of Kozilek
4 Filigree Familiar
4 Foundry Inspector
4 Chief of the Foundry
2 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
10 Island
4 Aether Hub
5 Mountain
4 Corrupted Crossroads
3 Hedron Crawler
4 Hedron Archive
2 Ovalchase Dragster
3 Fleetwheel Cruiser
4 Harnessed Lightning
3 Smuggler's Copter

It's incredibly to just drop your entire hand on turn 4/5. I feel like it could be improved though. Thoughts?
I'm thinking of adding Decimator of Provinces and removing the boat. But then the problem would be getting 3 green.

>brain in a jar
>still trying to play that pile of junk deck

Dude let it go already. Meme prison and the other crap deck were horrible bait from mtggoldfish to make noobs buy their bad cards.

Stickto aggro.

Didnt monoblue prison showed good results?

weren't most of those uncommons, so there wouldn't be anyone "buying" them?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-10-16-mono-white-equipment/
Some jank ass shit I'm going to make work if it kills me. I really like equipment but I feel I need to cut some of it. Anyone more experienced wanna lend an opinion?

I know I should do some testing, but how good or fun would it be to try out the stupid infinite loop with 2 Wispweaver Angels? There's some way to abuse infinite enter the battlefields aside from lifegain, right?

your dead long before you cast the 2nd one.

this format is fast as fuck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-10-16-hot-garbage/

Poorfag getting back into standard, Chandra was a lucky pre-release pull. How do I make this not shit?

>got a case of kaladesh
>just gonna throw all the green creatures into a deck, make a curve, and turn my cards sideways

its gonna be a fun week 1.

>losing to planeswalkers so often I basically start the game tilted
Kill me.

Pretty convinced Reservoir combo is not actually good

Also, what do you all think the best game plan against aggro is in the current standard? Since that seems like it's going to be a pretty intense part of the metagame. Fumigate seems good but turn 5 is a long time to wait yeah?

Midnight Oil is fucking sweet

I don't think it's much good but it's one of the sweetest cards in an extremely sweet set. I'm really happy they made it. It's also better than dubious challenge.

It's a Phyrexian Arena that costs one mana more and the drawback is really significant in many decks, especially grindy value ones which would most want to play it

It doesn't have a very high ceiling

>>literally the antithesis of board presence
Why is this a bad thing? Best mechanic they've made in a while imo.

the decks that want midnight oil are hyper aggresive BR decks. Nothing more. And its very powerful in them.

>Best mechanic they've made in a while imo.
lmao

Can I get some actual input on this deck?

In goldfishing, it curves nicely and consistently has good removal or responses, but I'd like input on it.

I usually play bant eldrazi so I tried to make a deck that incorporated the tempo of it into standard while keeping a solid protection and removal base to keep my eldrazi safe.

>Got my Booster Box in the mail today
>No Inventions
>Two Chandras though

I'm alright with this outcome. Could have gone without the three Midnight Oils though. Gonna trade the Chandras in for Gearhulks or maybe stuff for RG Energy Aggro

What fucking else?
Delirium is OK.
Battle for Zendikar was a mistake.
Khans had delve (OP as fuck), prowess (was already done years ago) and an infinite amount of throwaway mechanics.
So the only mechanics even close are delirium and prowess.

I agree. Planeswalkers are the dumbest fucking card type, literally the only reason they still exist is marketing
>Generates card advantage at zero cost after casting it
>Because of marketing and tourneyfags whining, the good ones can't protect themselves
>This means a player can literally just +1 them, while keeping mana up to kill/counter anything you might cast ( because creatures are the only way to deal with planeswalkers now that damage spells can't hit players )
I just played against some nigger online with 3 planeswalkers out at once. Liliana, Ob, and Chandra. All of them can either kill or hose creatures, all of them can protect themselves, and all of them have a game winning ult ( though ob isn't much so ). In the two colors with the most instant speed removal. Guess what he did all game? +1 liliana, kill the rest of the creatures since he has mana up once there's no possible play to punish him tapping out for once he plays another planeswalker.
Fuck WotC.

Yeesh. Good to know. I think I'll see what my box holds, consider what I build after that.

You can fit this into a R/G strategy, I swear.

Put this deck together today

>Eldritch Evolution
Creatures
4x Theraben Inspector
4x Loam Dryad
4x Reflector Mage
3x Tireless Tracker
2x Filigree Familiar (haven't tried displacer here yet)
3x Reality Smasher
3x Verdurous Gearhulk
Non Creature
4x Eldritch Evolution
3x Blessed Alliance
4x Oath of Nissa
3x Tamiyo, Field Researcher
Lands
4x Aether Hub
3x Canopy Vista
3x Fortified Village
4x Botanical Sanctum
3x Port Town
3x Prairie Stream
1x Island
1x Forest
1x Plains

>Basic idea
Control the board until you can sac a 3 cmc creature (usually turn 4) to evolution. Grab gearhulk or smasher, use clues generated from Tracker and inspector to keep finding more evolutions.
>Blessed Alliance
Fights the rofl copter quite well.

>Tamiyo, Field Researcher
This seems to be her time. Combined with oath of nissa it's never a problem to cast (even without I've had no problems). She drew me on average 3-4 cards if not more.

I've been trying to figure out how without losing aggressive momentum. The idea of dropping this thing on a 2 drop to search out bristling hydra seems dope. Could also search out hellions if needed. Hell, it might as well be like running 8 hellions.

Having big hasty dudes to sac into helps out a lot. Reality Smasher is an obvious candidate, and I use Skyship Stalker to allow my two drops a "hasty" sac into. Stalker is dragging his feet in a lot of situations due to his small body, though.

Are you planning on evolving into reality smasher? Because only having aether hub to cast it will be crippling.

Also, displacer won't be all that good in your shell due to also not having enough butthole mana

I was worried about not being able to cast smasher at first, this list just draws and filters cards so efficiently you never have issues with colorless.

>tl;dr may add more sources

Newfag here, I'm planning on getting into this, going to a store with a friend that plays modern mostly so I thought of asking you guys as I'd like to play standard for starting.
For my first deck, should I copy some cheap internet deck or try to build my own one? I want to build myself but there are so many cards that finding those that work well together is probably hard as fuck.
Also, is any of these decks unsuitable for a new player?
G/Something elves, Monored goblins and flame spirits, W/B angels and vampires.

no

you absolutely do not need to add more colorless mana. The 4 hub is very much enough.

>Buy intro deck learn how to play.
>Realize intro deck sucks once learning mechanics
>upgrade intro deck to not suck
>Start paying attention to meta
>learn how to build a "good" deck
>end

It was the one deck everyone tested and agreed was insane, and then literally everyone just played decks to beat it.

weird shit

Extremely shitty phyrexian arena

yeah tamiyo is in a very good spot. For one the people playing dovin to just minus are wrong, and the premiere control deck this format will be bant.

Seasons past, sylvan advocate, lumbering falls, tireless trackers, new nissa. These cards are so insane against every deck type and it sides super well.

The only decks I would tell a new person to avoid would be Vampires because the madness costs and deciding what and when to discard can get messy.
Even if you don't copy an internet deck, checking out what the meta is doesn't hurt. mtgtop8.com posts top 8 results from MTGO and major events.

WELCOME TO THE NEW STANDARD:
>ROFLCOPTER EDITION