ITT we worldbuild. I make questions, the answer that gets voted two times by other anons becomes canon

ITT we worldbuild. I make questions, the answer that gets voted two times by other anons becomes canon.

First question is: what is the strange feature about this world's geography?

Travel only works if you focus on it. If you don't maintain a clear idea of motion you'll snap to to realize you just walked five feet in an hour.

The planet is inside out.

cool, but too abstract for a game i guess. Not voting it myself for that reason

I would vote for this.

The world is always sloped. You are either always going up or down an incline. The more connected and better defended live higher while the poor live lower.

We could say instead that you have to maintain a clear idea where you're going to get there, at least outside of cities and towns. Like, the geography is magical and shifts around on you unless you're vigilant.

Voted and go with it!!!

The world is shaped like a doughnut. There's a very, very, very tiny sun in the middle of the hole of the doughnut planet.

Ok we got it! Second question arises itself: What technique you use to not get lost on the evershifting wilds? Can anyone describe how its done?

You have to have an erection.

A vote from me

Guides are like super concentrated buddhist monks that train their will and mind to keep sure to get to where everyone wants to.

The more average someone looks, the more average their outlook

Someone with horns or a tentacle coming out of the palm of their hand? Not to be trusted, but everyone knows they exist

Most people are trained in astronomy since even if the evershifting wilds can't be counted on the stars can.

Alternatively, tons of moons that make it easier to use the sky for guidance

The earth is like a giant plant. Features are semi-fixed but change rapidly depending on the conditions. Mountains grow and shrink with the coming of the sun; rivers change in intensity and direction with the season; some sections of ground may become like quicksand after a heavy rain; and chasms widen and close seemingly on a whim.

While these cycles aren't 100% predictable, they are able to be understood, making skilled rangers a valuable commodity. Settlements are built on the most stable pieces of earth which can be found, meaning they are far-flung. The isolation of each city makes each one a state unto itself, even if it is officially under the command of a larger power. The most prevalent social structure are small tribes, usually nomadic in nature, building semi-permanent towns that can be picked up and moved when the land becomes too hostile.

I like this.

I like both of these. Maybe travel-planning is similar to the Farmer's Almanac? Environmental and astrological factors can tell you what kind of journey you'll have, similar to telling you how the harvest will go.

I agree with this guy.

We have a winner!

The way to guide yourself on the wilds are stars and moons. If you know and can interpret the current position of those moons, you can find your way to your destination. Else, you are lead asthray, probably into a dangerous place.

The third question is: What thing or things are oddly prized as treasure in this world?

Any and all things metal. The constantly shifting nature of the world makes mining nearly impossible. The only safe way to get metal from the earth is to be lucky enough to be near a vein when it is violently ejected from the earth. Otherwise bog iron or whatever scarps might get washed up by rivers have to suffice.

Precious amongst all things is moon ore. As it turns out, the moons of the planet are even more tumultuous than the planet itself. This manifests when small chunks of the moons are jettisoned from one of the moons (likely by volcanic eruption and the like) and sent down to the planet in the form of a meteorite. If you are lucky, you might be able to recover the ore before it is swallowed by the earth. (The ore might also be inherently magical, causing the shifting nature of the earth to become more violent wherever it lands- this effect increases with the amount of ore deposited.)

Seconding this