Could someone recommend me a system (besides Shadowrun, DnD, and Pathfinder)?

Could someone recommend me a system (besides Shadowrun, DnD, and Pathfinder)?

So my issue started off as such: most of my players (I'm the DM) are pretty sick of Pathfinder due to its conflicts with our more RP-heavy gameplay style, and as such we proposed to move to 5e. However, some people of our group vehemently rejects 5e because apparently it's too 'inflexible' and 'not fun'.

So is there a compromise out there?

I'm looking for a system that is flexible without too much reliance on rigid rules, but with enough character creation to shut the autists up.

Other urls found in this thread:

fate-srd.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fantasycraft, or something freeformey

Fate.
fate-srd.com/

Try Dungeon World, and give your autists the "Class Warfare" PDF (disassembles the vanilla classes into a build-your-own-class system).

Savage Worlds might also be worth a look.

Delta Green, preferably the new one

Seconding Fantasy Craft.

Definitely would not recommend FATE if your group includes players who are really into the crunch and character creation side. They'd hate it.

Seconding Savage Worlds. Spend the price of onr DND core book, and get a rulebook for all your players.

WEG d6
or
GURPS Lite (If players like it you can slowly add more)

Thirding Savage World.

It's a very flexible system. I once ran Kancolle style tankgirls in Vietnam with it, worked like a charm.

GURPS

Fourth for savage worlds, its a great system and the physical book for it is like 10USD

Recommending D&D 4e to be honest. My group is pretty much in the same boat as yours, so we pick 4e over 5e due to the customization the game allows. Also you an always pick and choose what bits of the rules you want to use. The people that DM in the group do away with having to keep track of arrows and other types of ammunition since it cuts out the time that could be spent elsewhere.

Not OP, but...
which books will I need to play?

If you don't like the number-crunchy nature of 4e, you could try Strike!, which is a 4e retro-clone sort of thing. You need to be somewhat familiar with narrative games to run it tho.

I would Strongly recommend the Storytellersystem from White Wolf. Really any of Onyx Path Vampire, Geist, scion, exalted, etc. It's all heavily rp focused

Deluxe edition, Fantasy companion, and I recommend the fan books Savage Armory and, to a lesser degree, Savage Spellbook (can be found online in PDF form for free).

Savage Worlds Deluxe is the latest version of the core rules, and all you need to play.

Nechronica.

4e is also the best version of D&D; rules for combat where you want them while leaving non-combat stuff well enough alone for you do deal with.

Thanks

I would argue you don't even need the fantasy companion to start off, though it does help.

Pokemon Tabletop United, and fuck around with the setting.

My group has done Edo-era pre-Pokeball Japan, Colonial America, Revolutionary war America, cyberpunk future, and a traditional Pokemon league campaign. The traditional campaign has been the least interesting so far but still fun.

The rules for the system can be fairly crunchy, but if you go with the quick combat system where you don't roll for damage and just take averages it moves very quickly. The autists will be happy with the powerbuilding (despite the book suggesting not to do that and just have fun with it since it makes balancing encounters for the party a pain for everyone) and the other autists can have some fun messing with Pokemon and each other's characters.

Burning Wheel Gold, my guy.
I've had a hell of a lot of fun with it and it manages to balance engaging combat and integrated role-playing better than any other RPG I've ever seen.