/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Partner edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/25-more-random-things-about-magic-2016-06-20
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/history-legends-2002-03-04
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have the best worst ideas.

Who's Sir Shandlar?

This guy, whoever the heck he is, but his flavor text implies he died heroically.

I feel like half of the, well, Legends, could be interesting if their cards weren't some of the worst designed things ever. Though on the other hand, it would've been old Magic lore, which I don't like much. But then again, I'm not liking modern Magic lore either...

Damn, should've posted this card, since someone noted how it's basically a better Ramirez DePietro.

>designed
As if, all the legendaries from Legends are literally just the guys D&D characters.

Hmm, sauce?

>Short story
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/25-more-random-things-about-magic-2016-06-20

>Long story
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/history-legends-2002-03-04

Wow. Still think they could've done a better job though. I mean, I get that modern design is different from what was around back then, but even back then, so many of the cards they made were just overcosted as shit. It's like they were all designed under the idea that Legendary is an upside.

Somebody post that "Form of Uncle Istvan" that somebody posted once. That was a sweet card.

>were just overcosted
Card were overcosted due two reasons, when they made a card and realized it didn't fit the color's bit of the color pie they just upped the costs. and because . . . they thought that legendary was an upside. That's literally what happened. They made cards, like Jedit Ojanen, and thought "Gee, a big cool cat warrior, who isn't going to want at least 20 of them ? Better make sure they aren't broken"

3/5 of the Arena novel house masters. How are these looking? Admittedly, they only really do anything when they're (one of) your commander(s)...

Profit doesn't have reminder text, but I'm told by a friend it's been used before for MSE cards. Shorthand for 'create a colorless artifact token named gold w/ sacrifice this artifact: add to your mana pool'. not sure if it's okay or not?

MaRo talks about Legends more extensively in one of his "Drive to Work" podcasts. He even talks about how one Legend is just a copy of a different card, just that the legend costs like 2 more or something. Despite that, people liked the introduction of Legendary cards.

Your contextual abilities are incredibly wordy. If you're going to go down that route, then just make one ability if they have (or don't have) a partner.

Profit is also not a recognized keyword in official Magic, so I would put the reminder text. Even if it were, it's not an evergreen keyword, so I would put the reminder text there anyways.

The reminder text is just gone because it's already wordy. I'll find a way to make them shorter, or take one away.

Kirlen should have
>At the beginning of your first upkeep, if ~ is in your command zone, search your library for up to five nonland cards with converted mana cost 3 or less and exile them. Then shuffle your library. If @ is your only commander, you may search for up to five nonland cards instead.
>@ costs 2 more to cast if it is your only commander.
>You may cast nonland cards exiled with @. You can't cast more than one spell this way each turn.
>Partner

I dislike the wording on these in general, because you mix static abilities that are relevant on the stack with those relevant elsewhere. I'm not sure this degree of contextual ability is worth it, as noted.

Never have I seen such a blatant example of negative synergy.

Why the fuck would you put "If ~ is your only commander" on a card with Partner.

I'll throw out some partner ideas.

Commanders you cast cost X less to cast.

Other commanders get +X/+X and have {ability}

As long as you control two or more commander creatures, {effect}

Trying to make a WUBRG commander that isn't tribal, and emphasizes casting spells. Any ideas?

Replace "commander" with "legendary creature" and I'm in.

"Noncreature spells you cast cost WURBG less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. (For example, if you cast a noncreature spell with mana cost 1U, it costs 1 to cast.)

Eh, I don't play much, so I could be wrong, but that doesn't feel very strong.

So a sorcery that costs WURBG being free seems weak? Yikes.

To play around with the design space and have commanders with different abilities solo than with partners? Sorry I guess?

Literally the only WUBRG sorcery that costs exactly WUBRG is Last Stand. One card.

If you don't like it, don't use it. But I'd love having my 2UR instant cost 2 generic, or my 1WB sorcery cost 1 generic. Different strokes.

Return it from the yard or as it resolves?

Eh, yeah. Anyway, this is what I have now. Balanced?

Use ~ to represent the card name so you don't have little mistakes like missing capitals.

This is basically a Traverse the Ulvenwald that's easier to trigger.

I must say, I never did like commander-only cards.

It'd be as it resolves, as it's happening as part of its effect. It's basically buyback if it doesn't kill something.

Dunno how the ~ didn't register.

I think I have some reservations about it only hitting your opponents' stuff at that cost. Simoon is RG, albeit an instant, and uncommon, and only hits one opponent's stuff.

It's on par with scouring sands at 1R. Obviously mine scales which makes it more powerful, but I don't know if paying 3 mana each time would be worth it.

Somehow missed that in my search. The chances of it coming back to your hand are fairly slim, considering the number of 2/1s running around these days.

I'd argue that the chance of it coming back at all is enough to cost up or rarity up. Where Scour may be a dead draw in some cases, you can just keep casting this one until it works.

It'll always come back on the first cast each turn, because things won't die until after the spell has finished resolving and SBAs have a chance to be checked.

>This is basically a Traverse the Ulvenwald that's easier to trigger.
That was the point, yes.

I thought SBAs were instantaneous and outside of the cycle of resolving, since you can't respond to them. Wouldn't they die right after damage was applied, but before the "then"?

You have search your library instead of shuffle.

Nope SBA's are only checked after a spell has fully resolved, something which I forgot about so I need to scrap it and start over.

Well yeah, in that case it's busted as all hell. It's a neat idea, but I also have to ask why not just make it a Rebound spell?

>You have search your library instead of shuffle.
??? Given the wording is lifted straight from Traverse the Ulvenwald, I'm confused.

>Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put into your hand, then search your library.

Is what you have written there.

If that was the point, I don't see why it's uncommon and costs only G. Delirium is a difficult thing to trigger in normal play, and even decks constructed for it don't always get to it very quickly. It's basically the only reason why most Delirium cards get to be costed as they are.

I wanted it to scale without just being an X spell. Rebound would be an entirely separate effect.

>building a set skeleton
It never gets any easier. Soon I can start filling in my commons though, and hopefully that'll be fun.

Would it be helpful if you had a blank MSE file to start with that already had the cards labeled? If so, I might make one and insert a link to it in the OP.

Whoops, I'm dumb. Thanks for pointing that out.

Probably because I'm dumb and thought that Traverse was an Uncommon for some reason, although rarity matters "less" for decks that are (in theory) printed in precons.

Also, its not like having your commander is super easy for many decks, either. Only the most aggressive or tuned of decks have their commander before Turn 3, and a Turn 4 tutor that requires your commander to have gone a round untouched seems not terrible to me.

I have a few pregens myself, but I'm trying something new this time, and planning it out beyond MSE in Notepad before I build. But yeah, I'm sure someone besides me could appreciate a file like that to use. I have a few I could contribute too. Thanks though.

>card
I know zero about that guy, but I can tell you that token gen ability seems over the top strong.

First time I popped into a /ccg/ and there's actually a cool, good card.

Hrm.

What exactly are you planning out? I mean, does the skeleton differ from that of a normal set?

>card
Damn. Get rid of Prowess?

It's not like G is a lot of investment for a tutor either. The problem being it's not that hard to get your commander out because you always have a commander, and tutoring is something that Wizards has also limited/cut back on.

Comparably, Signal the Clans, is an RG rare, searches for three creatures, but only puts one at random into your hand.

I'm that faggot that was asking about set concepts yesterday, particularly whether color combinations needed factions attached to them or not to make an effective set, flavor and mechanic-wise. It doesn't really differ too much except for the slightly strange distribution of multicolor cards, and the fact that it's a touch smaller than a standard post-Origins set (230 cards instead of 260+). I've done enough of them that I can do it in a few minutes once I actually get to MSE, but the beforehand is just the doldrums. But I want to have the best chance to succeed, since I've fucked up plenty of them in the past, so I'm taking it slow and being methodical.

>Human Bomb
Hm. Saving up potential damage into retribution later seems neat. If he asplods himself though, shouldn't there be a sac on the last ability?

>prowess
Oops. Uh, yeah you could do that. It depends on what you want the card to do. Token is the most important thing? I'd make him have a smaller body. The combination is neat, it just needs a good balance between cost and body for the effect. Then again, considering Geist of St. Traft... eh, I dunno.

Is this sarcasm, or did I just get praised for a card with banding?

Wizards has been trying to cut back on tutoring because it makes for samey games, but EDH will run every tutor they can get their hands on for the exact same reason of reducing variance.

In a format with Eladamri's Call, Survival of the Fittest, Fauna Shaman, and Fierce Empath, creature tutors are cheap and plentiful almost as a rule.

It might not be a card that Wizards would be willing to print in a box, but its a card that I think people would be interested in running if they can support it, while providing enough of a drawback that its not ultra powerful when compared to existing options.

For some reason I always have a tough time picking keywords when I want to give a choice like this. Anyone else?

Oh yeah, and last ability is because he keeps dying and coming back later. No, really, I'm surprised the writer never made a "They killed Kenny!" joke.

>set
Ah, I see. Yeah, not entirely sure myself of how much would have to change. I suggest looking at Khans for an idea. I mean, let's see, assuming you skip over 4-color, that's still 21 color combos, and you'll probably want multiples of each of them. Jeez, what's the ratio between monocolored and colorless versus multicolored going to be, 1:1? Well, let me know if you need any help.

>If he asplods himself though, shouldn't there be a sac on the last ability?
He doesn't blow himself up, he basically just unleashes the energy stored inside his body in the area around him.

Hmm, maybe fix the token gen to when he attacks like Traft?

Seems pretty okay for RWU. Also fairly balanced, since even when you trigger his prowess-anthem, none of the keywords can protect him from removal really (and flying actually makes him more of a victim vs green).

>set
Well, it's mosty monocolored, with multicolored coming in more often than in a Core set, but less than in say Ravnica. It's shard-centric, and has a tiny bit of enemy-color support to smooth out drafting and allow for some more archetypes/off drafting without clogging things up since enemy color cards also work in shard-colored decks (you can draft WB cards for Esper, for example). There aren't that many though. There will be roughly 50 multicolor cards (counting battlemage-types and stuff) in the set of 230, so about 20% of the set is gold or represent several colors somehow. Also it has a lot of lands; a cycle of dual ETB commons in allied pairs, a cycle of taps-for-mono sac fetches for shard lands in uncommon, and tricolor painlands in rare.

>human bomb
Ah, he did in one iteration if I recall so I wondered if he was supposed to. He might yet be a bit too strong; part of me wonders if maybe you should make the damage prevention cheaper but make the counters destroy one permanent of a given CMC? Not sure. He might be able to be cheaper to cast at that rate though.

>dragonmage
That'd help.

Actually, nah, nix those uncommon lands. I'll replace them with Vivid expies. Less fiddly.

I almost want to say 2 life is worth Scry 2, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Not without another cost to slow it down I think.

Scrying is almost drawing a card. At the very least, it's drawing you a /better/ card.

Yeah that or for 2B to cast maybe. I can't really find a way to exploit it as it is.

Oh hey, I've used this guy's RPG spell icon illustrations too.

I'm sure some janky High Tide would play this.

That text box is really busy, I don't think the background symbol does it any favors.

This gave me an idea.

While we're on the scry train:

I dig it

Not much to say, other than there hasn't been much in the way of large scry for whatever reason.

As innocuous as Scry looks, it's powerful enough to not be printed in higher numbers. It essentially lets you stack your deck and may end up with the unfortunate effect of dragging on games longer than they need to.

I don't think its so much about power, as there's plenty of ways to see big chunks of your deck, large draw being one of them, and more about the time spent stacking.

Given that the complexity of a scry scales factorially with the depth, I'm not surprised.

I feel like stuff based on your graveyard should be almost always Black or Green. Make that 2UB and give it a necromantic tinge, or 2UG and make it some hippie shit.

I think I'd make it more like a Winter Orb effect, but allows them to untap more. Or maybe
>Each nonland permanent enchanted player controls has "This permanent doesn't untap during your untap step," and "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 1. If you do, untap this permanent."

You don't want to to affect Land.

No, I want to affect land alright.

Because I decided to dick about during my Last Unicorn Star Trek game.

>Ah, he did in one iteration if I recall
Really? Well, that's not the version I'm going for here. Anyway, would it be more balanced to only destroy one permanent per activation? And if I do that, could I get away with taking out the tap requirement?

>Last Unicorn Star Trek game.
..What?

>+2
Should be "doesn't untap"

>-10
First it should be
>You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, fateseal 2."
And second, I really don't like having Fateseal here. I get it, it's an ult, but still. Anyway, what exactly is the flavor here? It feels like there's no direction. How does the first ability relate to the other two?

>Last Unicorn Star Trek game.

Last unicorn is a company. They put out one of the many Star Trek RPGs. I was dicking about and decided to hash together one of the PCs in the magic set editor.

>Anyway, what exactly is the flavor here? It feels like there's no direction. How does the first ability relate to the other two?

It's a Vulcan intelligence officer. The first ability is the very iconic nerve pinch, the latter two are related to data analysis and prediction.

What is the issue with having fateseal on it? It didn't seem much worse than any of the other 'I basically win' ones like Ajani Vengeant.

Vulcan? And that's the art you used?

Anyway, no to Fateseal because unlike something like Ajani, it doesn't put you super far ahead of everyone else. It's subtle advantage that builds up over time. Which is the problem. This doesn't end games, it just prolongs them. At least, that's my take on it.

>Vulcan? And that's the art you used?

It is incredibly hard to find art of female vulcans that are not in a science uniform.

>Anyway, no to Fateseal because unlike something like Ajani, it doesn't put you super far ahead of everyone else. It's subtle advantage that builds up over time. Which is the problem. This doesn't end games, it just prolongs them. At least, that's my take on it.

How would you do an ult that stays within the theme of 'Data Analysis' in that case? Trying not to make something that's too close to just another Jace card.

White seems unneeded. While white gets tapping, blue gets it as well.

>Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw that many cards.
or
>Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may draw a card.
or
>At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of each opponent's library face down. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may look at it, you may cast it, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
Last one might be too long though.

Anyway, definitely something that involves card advantage, preferably in a way that takes advantage of what your opponents have.

Oh yeah, and I was thinking token gen for the +2. Like, a Vulcan Rogue or something, maybe with Hexproof.

>power or converted
This feels very clunky. You should pick one, probably power, and stick to it.
>create a token [...] onto the battlefield.
Don't worry Kazy, we're all still getting used to the new wording. Anyway, the wording for making it a copy and tapped and attacking is a bit awkward. Maybe just at the beginning of combat on your turn, make a token that's a copy of a creature you control, it has Haste?

Repeatable tokens puts it more into the red area (or possibly white, which it is) than blue.

Oh wait, I forgot about Myriad, and they already updated the Oracle text.
>create a token that’s a copy of this creature that’s tapped and attacking
Of course, change to copy of target attacking creature, though it still feels awkward. Your choice though.

Yeah, I thought the White would justify that.

Does anyone have any advice for doing this kind of thing? Feedback/recommendations appreciated.

Had an idea. No clue how to cost this though.

I wouldn't put Chosen on something that turns into a good creature because it seems absurdly easy to trigger.

I feel like the art on Locket is very ill-fitting, since we can't even see the Locket.

Adias seems interesting, though making spells cost less seems kinda odd for White.

Use Oracle, seriously.
>Whenever a creature you control dies, put two -1/-1 counters on each creature that dealt combat damage to it this turn.

Lololol. Actually, I changed the wording from the old one, and didn't do so properly. eh. Should remove the targeting. Here, take2.

>higher power.
Didn't notice this before, but this should just be
>with power 3 or greater.
Also, why is RW getting this not!Skulk? I feel like it should just stop low power creatures from blocking.

>or if it would leave the battlefield.
Why? It's a token, it'll cease to exist once it's off the battlefield. The only thing this does is prevent triggers based on zone change, like Morbid.

Why do I have such an obsession with big, flashy mythics? Flavor basically taken from Phyrexian Rebirth and tweaked a little. Though I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure if these should be OMAC Horrors or OMAC Zombies.