Find magical key

>Find magical key
>Opens any lock
>Violently explodes after a hundred uses tearing off my arm and leaving a large hole in my side--also I'm blinded by shrapnel

I detected curse, but found nothing.
Curse only kicked in later.
Is this really ok?

That wasn't a curse, it was a feature.

It's not
Either kick up a fuss with your GM or leave the group

THIS MUST BE THE WORK OF AN ENEMY STAND

>Is this really ok?
Not really.
Were you given no other warning, or hint that the key had this hidden curse? If the curse just kicked in out of the blue that is pretty BS.
Traps are fine, but having a hidden trap with a 0% chance of discovering it is a trap (even when the player proactively checked for traps/curses) is a questionable move by the GM.

>Were you given no other warning, or hint that the key had this hidden curse?

The key had a stench to it and this stench only got stronger with every use.

It just unlocked a hole in your arm and side.

So it was a stink bomb?

That's interesting, but it's still the sort of thing that should show up on a Detect Curse spell. Unless the spell has an oddly specific definition of "curse", or some other unmentioned limitation that would keep it from detecting that aspect of the enchantment, I'd blame this on the GM.

I bet that the gm did not have it be cursed originally. They probably no longer wanted you to have it or became upset from you taking advantage/abusing it.

I had a similar situation where the team found big chest of gold and jewels pretty early in the campaign.
The gm had a case of npcs with infinite money to sell to. We sold all of the jewels and when the gm realized how much we had he decided that all of the gold we had was now cursed and everyone knew and would now longer trade with us until we buried it.

1) Somewhere it say 'only hundred uses'.
2) is given to you by demon.
3) find it on ground someplace, you idiot even try it.

OK? otherwise bad DM no cookie.

I hate GMs that do that.
I don't really care all that much about how money your PC has - I'll keep the general amount in mind - but remember this: the nicer stuff you have, the more I will adjust challenges to provide an actual challenge (or so that way the groups pretty new toy can be shown off).

I am ok with this. With the stench thing, the DM gave you a prompt to investigate more, or at least to suspect that something wasn't right. Maybe it didn't ping as a curse, but you should have tried other means of analysis. You relied too much on your powerful item and you paid the consequences.

Key was working as designed

usually what happens to those GM's is they get punched in the dick, because fuck that.

That depends on how "detect curse" works on whatever system you're using. If it's supposed to be foolproof, then yeah, your GM is kind of an asshole. Otherwise... well, maybe you should be more careful with magic items you find in dungeons full of dangerous monsters and deadly traps. Maybe talk with the GM about what kind of expectations each of you has for the game? Because it sounds like the two may be more different than they ought to.

Not cursed. Was a Modron sex toy.

If I were the DM I would claim that the key was not cursed but one of the locks you opened was, and it cursed your key.

Your own fault for not getting Detect Curse permanency on your eyes.

Yes, it's okay.

So much better ways of dealing with this. Mainly availability of magic items, and petty thievery. The more you flash the massive pile of coins weighing down your wagon the more go missing (you still should end up with a fuck ton of money unless you park the unattended wagon in the middle of some shit hole and take 0 money with you), and you're still only as powerful as the gm allows.

I see two issues here:
- The lack of warning
- The injuries sustained

First I'll discuss the injuries: It depends on the setting.

If it's a setting where your sight and arm can be replaced, then you're going to replace them after a bit of hardship.

If it's a setting where they can't be replaced, having a character permanently crippled is a major tonal shift to the entire campaign. It's the kind of thing that makes me want to retire my PC and create a new one, because the old one isn't entertaining. But I wouldn't be surprised if your gm:
- Claims that letting your character live was him being kind.
- Refuses to let you make a new character because your PC is still alive. Thus forcing you to suffer the experience of playing the crippled character and the rest of the party to suffer from you tagging along while being useless.
I'll leave other to discuss the lack of warning.

So, you're DM sounds like a dick here, but that's not the real issue. My question is, what kind of fucking game were you playing in where you literally unlocked 100 doors?

Back in the game I ran a 3.5 game that lasted for 3 years and probably close to 100 sessions, with at least 10 major dungeons. The rogue maybe unlocked like 30 doors.

Do you just unlock every door that you come across to see what's behind it? Does your DM lock every single door you come across?

I just don't get it.

jesus christ, I mean your DM, and back in the day. That's what I get for typing before my shower.

Better way to handle it:

>This key can open any lock but will violently explode after a hundred uses.
>It will resist attempts to uncurse it and breaking the curse also breaks the enchantment.

>You do not know if it has been used before and if so, how many times.