I need some inspiration Veeky Forums, its my turn to DM next month and I don't have any ideas for settings or BBEG's

I need some inspiration Veeky Forums, its my turn to DM next month and I don't have any ideas for settings or BBEG's

Whats some good ones you've seen? Any ideas?

Rolled 7 + 1 (1d8 + 1)

Y'know, you could always crack open your DMG.

Fine, I'll do it, give me a few moments...okay, starting on page 94 of the 5e DMG. We're rolling 1d8 for the villains' objective, and a d4 for his scheme within that objective.

Rolled 4 (1d4)

That was supposed to be 1d8+1d4...okay, well, whatever, a 7 on a d8 gives us "Revenge" as his motivation.

Here's the d4...

Rolled 11 (1d20)

Ah ha, okay, so his goal is to retrieve stolen property and punish the thief of said property.

Now then, his methods, for which we shall roll a d20.

Rolled 4 (1d8)

An 11 gives us magical mayhem. We now have to roll another d8 to determine the kind of mayhem.

Rolled 3 (1d8)

Okay, a 4 means that he's using mind control. Now let's determine his secret weakness, which we roll a d8 to do.

Rolled 1 (1d2)

And a 3 gives us "weakened in the presence of a particular artifact".

So then.

Your BBEG is out for revenge, wishing to punish a thief who stole something precious to him. To accomplish this goal he us using magical mind control. However, fear not, for this foe is weakened while in the presence of a certain artifact.

Let's give him some more details. I've been using "him", but let's roll 1d2; 1 is male, 2 is female.

Rolled 4 (1d20)

'Kay, still a guy. Backtracking a bit, let's give him a notable physical trait.

Take your favorite animu/movie/book. Shamelessly steal the bad guy from that.
Everyone does it, so don't be embarrassed. Change the name up a bit if you want. And exchange magic for science and vice-versa. If your favorite media doesn't have bad guys, use one of the protagonists and just make them mad with power or something.

So with your picture as a baseline, the bad guy would be The Professor, which is super simple, she's just a bored kid with way too much time and money on her hands and she likes building crap that turns out really bad for the town. Make her identity secret, so the players all think that there's an evil, deranged artificer building legions of robots for the sole purpose of killing them, when in reality she doesn't give a crap about anything else besides wanting them to bring her chocolate.

Rolled 3, 4 = 7 (2d6)

4 means that he has formal, clean clothes. Now we will roll 2d6. The first result gives us his highest ability score, and the second one, his lowest (we'll re-roll the latter in the event of a tie).

The man's got a high Constitution, suggesting someone hale and healthy; but he's got a low Intelligence. he's dim-witted and slow.

Next we'll roll 2d20. The first will determine his notable talent, while the second gives us a notable mannerism.

Rolled 2, 12 = 14 (2d20)

And like an idiot I forgot to roll the dice.

Rolled 1 (1d12)

Right, a 2 means that he speaks several languages fluently (despite his low intelligence), and a 12 means that he's prone to predictions of doom.

When interacting with him, he is...(1d12)

Rolled 1 (1d3)

The man's argumentative. Can't hardly blame him, his shit has been stolen.

Now then, you specifically want a BBEG, but is he LE, NE, or CE? This will affect the next set of rolls, so let's roll a d3 to determine which of these he is.

Rolled 3, 3 = 6 (2d6)

Lawful Evil, it would seem.

So now we're rolling 2d6, one to determine his Lawful ideal, and the other to determine his Evil ideal.

Rolled 2 (1d10)

The man believes in Might (evil, so in this sense it's "might makes right" and "the strong deserve to dominate the weak") and, surprisingly, Honor. The guy has a code and he'll stick to it.

Almost done. We're rolling a d10 to give him a bond...

I like Neverwinter nights. In hordes of the under dark, there's this side bbeg named Settra. Settra himself is never seen, and instead he is worshipped by a cult of bone obsessed vampires. They collect humanoid chattel into a protected village. The humanoids occasionally are called upon to sacrifice a person of their choice to the vamps. The vamps then have blood to drink and their obsession drives them to create bone golems.

Settra himself sleeps in catacombs deep underneath the high temple, just chilling. He's a dracolich, which is just terrifying. If you kill him his spirit flies into one of the other two dragon skeletons in the cave and he keeps fighting.

Oh, uh... ancient spoilers.

Rolled 5 (1d12)

The guy is protective of close family members. What a swell dude.

Finally, let's give him a flaw (1d12), then we'll gather everything together and see what we've ended up with.

pretty neat. I played through HotU probably close to a dozen times as a teenager but I can't remember anything from that section other than "dracolich fight"

Overpowering greed.

Okay, so, our BBEG:

- Is male
- Is hale and hearty, but kind of stupid.
- Keeps himself clean and dresses in formal clothes
- He speaks several languages fluently, but is prone to predictions of doom and gloom.
- Has a tendency to be argumentative
- Believes in the ideas of honor, but also that might makes right.
- He is protective of close family members, and yet is plagued by overpowering greed
- Someone stole shit from him, and he is using magical mind control to get it back.
- But he will lose his powers if he's near a certain artifact.

So what I'm thinking is a corrupt noble of some kind. Kind of stupid and doesn't really get court politics, but wants to be part of them anyway as the honor of his family depends upon it. Tended more towards physical talents than social ones, He makes up for his lack of savvy thanks to a magical artifact that lets him control people's minds.

What was stolen from him is basically irrelevant. It is HIS, by right and by blood and by the fact that he is who he is. The thief that took it shall rue the day he dared cross him and his noble family. He can bend the entire kingdom to his will against the thief.

THERE IS NO ROCK, NO HOLE, NO WRETCHED LITTLE CORNER THE THIEF CAN HIDE IN THAT WILL PROTECT HIM FROM THE PUNISHMENT THAT HE IS DUE FOR DARING TO CROSS HIM AND HIS FAMILY.

There you go, OP. There's your BBEG.

Pick something that seems like a good or noble idea, and imagine someone who cares very much about that idea and completely fucks it up.

My favorites of mine:

- A druid who got into the whole druiding profession through a misguided idea about the serenity of nature and snapped because druid powers let him hear everything breathing. So he decided nature should be undead and started undeadifying whole forests.

- A healer who works too hard because he's haunted by the idea of all the people he can't get to. Eventually he tries to open a rift to the positive energy plane and the players need to stop him. (Never got to use this. I like that this can be a normal supporting character with a few diplomatic encounters throughout the game, so the players would know the guy before having to kill him.)

Why do you need a BBEG?
Why do you need any setting other than the default?

Because the last three games were in either generic fantasy land or Eberron, and two didn't have a big bad so much as a race against time and fucking about with politics.
We're all a bit sick of it, and I ran one game that was more out there just from a weird dream I had about what would happen if gnomes were aliens.

Okay, you have a kind of normal RPG setting but it's a world where all the partially-submerged biomes are the norm and completely dry land is almost unheard of. It's all mangrove forests, marshes, swamps, and flood planes.

Everyone needs to be wary of the water because there are sharks and crocodiles and most importantly the mermaids are murderous psychopaths.

The elves live up in trees, but sometimes the mermaids try to cut them down. The humans build palisades on hills, but sometimes the mermaids burn them out or find a way to divert a river into the settlement. The dwarves are mostly safe from the mermaids, hiding in mountains of coral, but they're stalked by giant crustaceans in return.

The weird thing is that the mermaids are actually pretty hospitable to small groups of travelers. They build floating bonfires at night and will share their food and their songs if you're passing through. They just don't think anyone else should have settlements.

Currently airing

I'm not OP, but I still appreciate it. Thanks mate, I'll use it in my next campaign.

The President's daughter has been kidnapped by crazy coked-up Cajun Crocodiles! Are you a bad enough dude/dudes to save her?

>Campaign
Takes place in 40K universe.
A large entertainment organization, Universal Combat Championship, is going on it's yearly planetary tour. The UCC's events feel like a cross between MMA, Extreme Pro Wrestling, Gladiator Fights, and the Carnival. However, the owner of UCC, Jeff Bissman, made a deal with the forces of Chaos. All the money and resources to make his dream come true, as long as the blood keeps flowing, and the entertainment never stops.

The players, as new competitors in the UCC, must work their way up to take a shot at their championship... But if they succeed, and don't play ball with the boss, they will find their reign unnecessarily hard, and potentially fatal.

That still doesn't explain why you ned a BBEG.
I've got plenty of interesting settings I could recommend, but running them in your system of choice would just make a disgusting mockery of them.

That's some gooood shit.
I now want to check out that DMG even though my distaste for dnd and all it stands for.

While reading along the rolls I was thinking more along the artificial beings and magics - i.e. the BBEG is a construct, his ties to his brothers and sisters constructs are as tight as any flesh and blood family, and somebody stole an important part of their consciousness, rendering him and them dimwitted, even though they retain some scraps of knowledge and power.
So it's something like an archeological thief awoke and damaged an ancient tomb of golems and now they're going to take it back.

No problem.

>even though my distaste for dnd and all it stands for.

...action-hero fantasy fun?