Is it true that Leman Russ tanks can be fueled by anything combustible?

Is it true that Leman Russ tanks can be fueled by anything combustible?

It's popular with the Imperium for a lot of reasons user.
One of which is that it's reliable as fuck and can use just about anything to fuel it.

In lore it's also supposed to be extremely dexterous too but we don't see that either.

A lot of land-based imperial war machines (and non-war machines) can be fueled by anything combustible.

so can you fuel it with heretics?

so it's basically AK-47 of 41st millenium?

Almost everything the Guard field are the 'AK-47's' of the 41st Millennum as you put it. Cheap, reliable, durable as all hell, but lacking in raw effectiveness compared to the more advanced, maintenance and resource heavy tech the Tempestus, Tau, Astartes and the like are throwing about.

Imperial vehicles are powered by multi-fuel engines. It'd still have to be in liquid form, I suppose, since I've seen descriptions indicating that they're piston engines. But I suppose anything that burns can be put into use in them. Might lack the peak efficiency, as the engines would need to be built to cater to all manner of fuels, but it'll make up for it in ease of maintenance, simple design and easy logistics, when you don't have to have the right fuel, just take any fuel and pour it down the engine.

Makes me wonder if those souped-up BA engines have a stricter requirement for the fuel.

Ak47 is pretty effective as far as firepower, penetration and range go, the US still has to stuff 30 kg of ballistic vests on their troopers to stop that nasty 7.62 mm bullet.

>so can you fuel it with heretics?
I think that was the case a few times.

Yes, thats part of the original specs because it's originally a tractor chasis

It's also easy to use.

I think all you need is about half an hour of reading the operating manual and you are good to go kill some Heretics

You forgot your :^)

For the last time Kevin, I don't care how much weed we have in our cargo bay, that is not a financially sensible use for it.

Hell, a lot of modern military vehicles are multifuel-capable, you can run an Abrams on kerosene, alcohol, gasoline and jet fuel.

>so can you fuel it with heretics?

I like where your head is at.

And in fluff, Lasguns are far better than S3 AP-. Not everything translates exactly, but AK-47 = Lasgun is pretty accurate, mass produced because it's cheap and effective. Also requires no ammo, just warm up those las magazines and you're back in business.

When they lack fire, my troopers default to shoving them in their pants as the crotch tends to be the warmest spot on the body, and it's less visible.

Ak47 can kill stuff. Lasguns don't.

What I read from the novels, they cannot pierce power armor, Tau suit armor, Living Metal, big Tyranid carapace, etc.

They are useless.

>Also requires no ammo, just warm up those las magazines and you're back in business.

Wait, IIRC, Lasguns use powercells.,

Powering them via heat can damage them and piss off your friendly neighbourhood engiseer.

Except against humans, which are plentiful in the 40k universe.

That's like taking an AK and shooting tanks. A lasgun can burn right through flak iirc.

Basically they're only shit because basically everyone else is bolting tank armor on to themselves.

In the RPGs the rules for it state that you can attempt to recharge a power cell by throwing it in a fire, but there is a chance that the power cell will be ruined, and if not it permanently reduces the capacity of each cell. But that is only for when you are really desperate. Normally you will just plug it into a wall outlet, or a chimera engine.

Presumably, it'd be a steam turbine engine.

Multi-duel piston engines have never been known for their reliability. The Chieftain tank in particular was known for breaking down at the drop of a hat. They're noisy as fuck and spew blue smoke wherever they go, as well.

>And in fluff, Lasguns are far better than S3 AP-
Not really. They're powerful, but most forces use armour to counter them.

Underrated STC. Shame you can't find invincible tractor engines nowadays.

....wait the imperium is secretly steam punk?

In Novels, Tau Battlesuits can also thrash Space Marines around like children.

Lasguns can still make normal humans explode horribly.

secretly, no, but its sort of funky religious steam punk

Overclocking lasguns is a popular practice but is the work of heretics. Only a sniper las has the baseline power to make people explode.

What if you weren't a colossal retard?

Well, I guess there are limits even to fiction.

Yes: in the Ciaphas Cain books the guardsmans had a chemical reagent that could turn organic matter (like trees) into fuel for Chimeras, I'm sure you can do the same with heretics

No. Turbines are not steampunk.

Steam turbines are just the ultimate evolution of the steam engine. Heat the working fluid with whatever the fuck you want. Focused sunlight, coal, oil, even radioactives. The fluid expands as it flows, creating a force that can be used to turn a turbine and provide rotational force.
It's usually used in power stations to turn dynamos.
The M1 Abrams tank uses a gas turbine, using burning liquids as an expanding working fluid. More space efficient, but it won't run on literally anything combustible like a steam turbine.

You could run a Russ on a fucking forest if you chipped it fine enough to burn efficiently enough.
Or you mix sawdust with your promethium fuel until it's just about a fluid, and burn that. You'll get much more heat value out of every gallon of promethium you have.

Lasguns also recharge via sunlight if I recall. Throwing them in a fire is basically an emergency measure if you're out of charge and cut off from the main forces with no alternatives.

>Multi-duel piston engines have never been known for their reliability.

It's probably taken that by 40k, they'd figured it out a way to make it work. I'm sure an engine with a narrower fuel type is able to be made more reliable, since it doesn't have to cater to a wide host of different fuels, but at the same time, as long as you can make the engine work, even at low efficiency, it's good enough for the Imperium and its logistics. Not every planet produces extra enriched Emperor-98 octanium petroleum, so it's not easy to get the same fuel from every place.