MTG: Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
($$$ COMPETITIVE ONLY $$$)

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Custom cards are considered off-topic and trolls, which violate Global Rule 3. Report and hide these posts.

ALSO report and hide price complaining, esper draw-go, and "burn is a combo deck" posters.

Making new thread because the other one lacks info and identifiability.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What did everyone play at fnm?

How did you do?

>esper draw-go,
Usually I'm understanding of a meme but can someone explain this? I've tried the deck, it seems fun but definitely a bad meta call right now.
I'm not trying to be a troll I'm genuinely curious

Tuning up turbofog. It's fucking fun. I love playing against decks like Jund or infect because all my cards are redundant to Jund so their hand disruption doesn't matter. A guy once ulted Liliana on me 5 times in one game and I just kept being a fog machine. Infect is great because I just fog until I find removal or a wrath and more fogs

Playing 4 color Kiki-toolbox
Going to play it at the dallas GP.
It's fun midrange. Aggro matchups are bad but not unbeatable.

just a bit of bant mate. I like the deck too but it's just barely above rev for 15 on the competitive scale. Control decks just aren't fast enough to deal with cheap, aggressive threats a la infect and burn, and when you do commit lots of maindeck slots to stopping fast creatures, you get btfo by tron. It's too bad because I love control decks and the best control deck right now is probably either grixis delver, which feels more like tempo, and jeskai, which is slightly less tempo-y but still fairly tempo.

Dredge, no bridges or garg. Drew for first, 3-0-1. Was okay, think the grave hate will be a bit much going forward. Scooze is a pain. Maybe trying Nahiri control next week

Ooooh that makes sense. Yeah I'd love to play a good hard control list but they just aren't viable. Though hard draw go control has never been a thing in modern, the closest we got was a draw go jeskai but it ran a ton of bolts and burn anyways. It's not even a lack of counterspells, there's a lot control needs that it just doesn't have.

That said, even in legacy theresonly one real draw go deck, miracles, so it says something about how difficult it into make such an archetype without it being broken or op

Brought tron. Went 1-2. So same old. We wuz kangz, et cetera et cetera

For a if will should be modern legal. This would allow wizards to unban a bunch of other cards, specifically combo pieces, and help diversify theetagame. Opinions?

Also red a shit

Force of will* damn fat finger

Immediate rebuttal I've heard is that FoW makes control viable but makes infect absurd. I would probably agree.

I always bounce between Jund/Junk depending on how I'm feeling, sometimes if I'm feeling degenerate I'll play my BG 8rack/pox deck. If you have a meta full of affinity, infect or boggles I highly recommend playing anything with smallpox. It's hilarious.

fair point, but can infect really deal with the card disadvantage?

Kiki chord, 2-1 smoking burn and affinity but getting run over by elves.

counterspell and daze would be better
will allow to unban Summer bloom

Not if Bloom is on the play.

The hands for t1 win with bloom are just christmaslands, happened like 1 each 100000

daze would also work, but i don't counterpell would really do much to help control decks. having to leave UU open means you cant make early plays, and really hinders you for the majority of the game. I'm just thinkg about fre counters, and with the lack of card draw in modern it would 'force' (lel) players to make sure they are countering true threats and not just 'no fun allowed' countering

Was for

You don't need to play threats until you resolve your wrath on t4, and counterspell wil improve late game of the decks

late game i'd play the scry cancel over counterspell

But counterspell does nothing if Bloom plays out t2 (something like 25% of games) on the play.

Daze could work, but is the tempo lost from the land bounce really worth it? You'd have 1 land going into Blooms t3 and that could screw you over.

Yes
Doesn't matter. Force isn't the card needed for modern. Modern is a separate beast from legacy, and doesn't need legacy's tools all the time. The fact is only miracles is really a draw-go deck viable in reasonable amounts in legacy. The other controls are usually a flavour of midrange or combo/control.
Twin made control viable in modern because it was a combo/control. Something like shardless agent and strix might make a shardless bug viable in modern and then you have midrange control.

The question is what can you give control that is worth playing it and counterspells over creatures and wincons. There's very very few cards that do that. Some cards are capable like Counter top combo. Force tries to stop immediate game ending combos, like infect shoal but it also is essentially another pact of negation for aggressive combo decks.

If you want control viable in the format you need a few things such as a form of slow grindy card advantage. I really don't think senpai's top deserves a ban. It slows a game down only as much as fetches and soul sisters. It's also not as strong without digging cards like Ponder and brainstorm. Alternatively twin coming off would be enough, it's immediate game ending power helped it out against transpiration and it could
D run lots of answers for infect yet died to gbx.

Then you need a source of card quality/advantage in the form of digging, legacy has brainstorm, I think modern would be okay with dig through time. It requires delve, it helps delver decks, and scapeshift decks and might boost storm. None of those decks are an issue to the format. It's
Equitable to ancient stirrings in Tron/Eldrazi really.

Finally you need a game ending wincon. Jace, the mindsculptor doesn't matter really, since you can play with Elspeth, sun's champion, grave titan, hell even the mono blue guy from rtr that saw standard play is a good game closer.

For that you could just cast Spell Snare or spell pierce for the summer bloom

That's my point. I don't think Force or Daze really DO anything in Modern. There's no fast mana (Vintage) so everyone starts on a virtual turn 3+ and can take a slight tempo loss. There's no t1/t2 combo deck that needs to be stopped.

Everything in Modern is (relatively) game and fair.

Personally, I don't know what Control decks need to be viable in Modern. Probably better card advantage and selection. Or some kind of incremental value train like Top (but not Top . That has a whole different set of problems.)

Junk boys, 3-1 only lost to ad-naus. Flayer is just too good, was also running a spicy gideon (aoz) and a green-hulk. Both over performed for reasons unknown.

That sounds hilarious. I loved playing turbofog in Innistrad - RTR standard. Do you have a list?

Infect and zooicide are t2-3 kills

I would love for them to reprint Daze

And we already have the tools to stop those decks. If we didn't, they would have 50% of the metagame.

For whatever reason, Control lacks tools. Well, I shouldn't say that. I should say that for whatever reason, when you take those control tools and mash them together, it just doesn't work well in the format.

Shit format detected.

The problem with top is that the CMC is modern are much more wider than in legacy

U
instant
you must reveal or control an island to play this spell
Scry 5
exile the top card of your library face down

I saved blue in modern you dont have thank me, just murder me in my sleep Maro-chan.

>"burn is a combo deck"
who the fuck said this

What does Sensei's Divining Top have to do with cmc?

Countertop

Swords/Innocent Blood would do a lot more work.
Bringing in Daze would be ok but Infect would have to take a hit for that though which might bother some people

Patrick Chapin

Really? What was his logic?

desu you haven't played modern until you've dunked on dumb aggro turn 2 with grishoalbrand

See, Burn is one of those really strange decks that doesn't necessarily fit 100% into any archetype. It can play Aggro (creature heavy hands), Midrange (value like Eidolon or Lavamancer), Combo (with spell heavy hands), Control (to a limited extent).

This is why I love it.

I see what you're doing, and fuck off

What I'm doing? Being correct? I don't understand.

Anons, newfag to magic here. My friend keeps raping me with his puresteel paladin and artifacts + flying shit and I need some advice. What's a good counter for that fuck? I only have a shitty red goblin deck but I'm willing to try anything.

anger of the gods
also go to the casual thread

You forgot to say it can play under a bloodmoon, and people really dont understand how much of a control color red is.

The combo is 7 three-damage spells

Stony silence, Eidolon of rhetoric, shatterstorm

It doesn't matter who said it; it's the truth

Blood Moon Jund, I went 3-1 and sided out Blood Moon in three out of the four matches. The one matchup where I didn't side it out was Abzan, which I lost anyway.

Turn your shitty goblin deck into an 8whack. It's (sometimes) tier 3 but it should be enough to crubstomp his shitty casual deck.

>8whack
But muh sparksmith...

3-1 with valakut. Got 2nd. Lost in final game because i'm an idiot and cracked 3 fetches at the same time. Walked into a shadow of doubt, and lost the game from there. Opened an expedition in my prize packs though :)

>sparksmith

Not modern legal. If you want to play legacy version get vials, ringleaders and lackeys. And in case of legacy goblins can be considered as a passable deck.

Couple weeks ago, I tried Bloomless Titan, losing the last round to horrid hands/draws.

Last night I wasn't feeling well. Was going to try Ad Nauseum, Dredge, or Jeskai Aggro.

>I only have a shitty red goblin deck but I'm willing to try anything.
Try something tier 1.

Just got to dredge it up but I'll post the list in a few
It's a lot of fun, I think blessed alliance is going to go to 3 but I'm unsure what to drop for it as of yet.
Currently it's u/w

RUG Delver again. Went 4-0 against tron, mardu midrange, jund and eldrazi dnt

So haven't played magic for the summer, but I've got 3 decks, suicide zoo, Kiki chord, and UB Tezzeret control. Which oneach should I bring to mtg, and can anybody bring me up to speed if there's any new relevant modern cards that came out, especially for Kiki chord which is ever changing?

>Decklists:
>>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

>Primers:
>>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Like you can't just crack all three at the same time. You were shortcutting, what happens if he has a response is you back up to when he casts it, probably the first fetch. You don't have to crack the next two. Did you call a judge?

It sounds like he cracked a fetch, held priority, cracked a second, held priority, cracked a third, then passed priority to his opponent.

he could easily argue the opposite, that he was just shortcutting. And he would be right.

ackshually, when an object is placed on the stack or resolves, the active player is the first to receive priority. so he could declare activating all 3 fetches without giving the opponent a chance to respond inbetween and it's a legal play. ill-advised because of exactly what happened to him, but it's doable.

The problem is whether or not he stated that it was a shortcut before performing the actions because the actions can still be done outside of the context of a shortcut.

You're slightly off. When an object is added to the stack, the player who did so receives priority again. When an object on the stack resolves, the active player receives priority.

Went 3-0 with 4C Gifts.
When our meta is half various control decks, 1-2 infect, 1-2 delver and only 1 affinity, this meme deck is in the perfect place.

That card sound quite bad

That's worse than ancient stirring.

>Personally, I don't know what Control decks need to be viable in Modern.
CA-wise, TT/Charm/Rev is a pretty good suite. Something like Accumulated Knowledge or FoF would be nice, even just to enable UW with no splash, but it's not really necessary.

Finishers aren't the problem, either. Grave Titan, Elspeth, Baneslayer, Aetherling, Gideon, Secure the Wastes, WSZ, Colonnade, the list goes on and on. They have pros and cons but they all do the job.

The real problem is that the archetype lacks generic answers that can compete with the format's threats, and a bit of card selection to make up for the fact that all your hard removal is dead in combo MUs. Path is efficient, Supreme Verdict is powerful, and Cryptic is versatile, but there's nothing to hold those cards together.

That's why I think control needs Counterspell and Preordain. Vindicate and Innocent Blood might be nice, too.

3-1 with 8whack, the loss was in final round to rg tron. Didn't help that a lot of the more important cards were in Chinese. Forgot wurmcoil had lifelink until after I attacked into it for what I thought was lethal.

I think Control decks are fine in Modern. They can be built around UR and be WUR or URB. You just pick a win condition, pack some removal and countermagic, and kill them with manlands along with your win condition. Control's tools are excellent; great countermagic, great removal, and manlands to boot. Like I said, you can play anything to win. You can use Grave Titan, Nahiri, Sun Titan, Resto, really anything you want.

Sure, they're Tier 2, but I think that's only because nobody wants to play them because they're not interesting. They play almost exactly like any Control deck you would find in Standard.

But if we really wanted to make Control a contender, I mean something that makes it legitimately scary. I think all you'd have to do is print Wildfire at 3RR. It would be too strong at 4 because you can ramp into it with a signet. 6 is too high.

But that's never going to happen. Because players are whiny children and Wizards uses that as an excuse to not reprint anything.

even if it was at 4 wildfire wouldn't help control as we currently know it. There might be wildfire decks built around ramping into it, but control as an archetype wouldn't be helped at all.

>Sure, they're Tier 2, but I think that's only because nobody wants to play them because they're not interesting. They play almost exactly like any Control deck you would find in Standard.
Are you high?

>Because players are whiny children and Wizards uses that as an excuse to not reprint anything.
If Wizards reprinted cards then all my financial investments in MTG would be worthless. I can't take another hit like that after I lost so much money investing in Beenie Babies.

You are full of shit. Control has fatal flaw of counter magic being so bad, it's unplayable. There is so many threats in modern that cost under 1 mana that using 2mana to counterspell them isn't even 1:1 exchange. Using Path to exile will push opponent further in tempo early game and being nonbo with mana leak naturally curving out late game where the deck wants to be is full of fuck. Remand isn't playable when you have to flambam it onto lighting bolt to not die. Spell pierce and snare are both so bad being so narrow.

Narset at least gave a window for UWR decks to make fast kill in that narrow window that deck gets around turns 4-7, which is the ideal for it. The deck is just garbage, because you have to be Jesus to make all the correct top decks to not die to all linear decks the format currently has.

>Playing affinity
>Every game comes down to them goldfishing a single card that shuts me down or me winning

He has no idea what tier means. Anytime I see somebody misuse it on terms of power levels I stop reading because they have no idea what they are talking about

>Playing any deck in modern
>Game comes down to who draws their sideboard first

>But if we really wanted to make Control a contender, I mean something that makes it legitimately scary. I think all you'd have to do is print Wildfire at 3RR. It would be too strong at 4 because you can ramp into it with a signet. 6 is too high.

>Push busted tempo card
>"Control will be viable!"

>why not just make a deck of sideboards?

What's the win con?

Your opponent tilting the table.

>great countermagic

That's so crazy it just night work

modern has pretty decent counter magic for the power level of the format, it just had no good cantrips. Which is fine, not every format needs to be blue dominated.

No, counters are shit in modern. They are so bad, Wizards has to ban combo decks instead if letting control decks police the format like they should. And of the three cards in that pic only 1 is a counterspell which gets significantly less powerful without the the most powerful cantrips in the game (which is also in your pic). You have no idea what your talking about, do you?

When the best counter magic is remand and mana leak, you know your plan is fucked if you are aiming for late game. Don't act like they are good, because they are not. Also; FoW is terrible in modern. You already have an issue with CA and narrow counter measures, making the 2 for 1 deal even worse than you probably get with mana leak.

But agreed, the best blue would offer is the cantripping and when that aspect is banned.... There is virtually no reason to play blue. Hell, other colors do cantripping way better for their respected decks, compare faithless looting and ancient stirring to ponder. This format is so retarded.

ponder is insane compared to faithless looting for cantripping, looting's power is discarding cards for dredging. Even brainstorm looks bad comparatively in that regard.

I was posting for the cantrips, not the counters. That would be a silly comparison, FoW isn't legal in modern.

*FoW type counters aren't legal in modern, free ones. The cantrips aren't legal either.

>better for their respected decks

I know, that's why I wrote it like that. Don't forget reanimators either... Btw, brainstorm is probably still the king of the hill for the decks that want to play it. It's insane how versatile it is and it would push blue playable with the help of delver.

Sorry, took me 5ever
Fogs:
4 dawn charm
2 riot control
3 ethereal haze
4 holy day

Creatures
2 snapcaster
4 wall of omens

Removal
4 path
2 supreme Verdict

Multi tool
1 blessed alliance
2 cryptic command
1 Jace, architect of thought

Mines
4 howling mine
4 dictate of kruphix

Win con
Sphinx's tutelage

Lands
1 Grier reach sanitarium
3 ghost quarter
3 islands
2 plains
3 hallowed fountain
4 flooded strand
3 temple of enlightenment
2 tranquil cove

Sideboard
2 dispel
2 runed halo
3 nyxfleece ram
2 Kor firewalker
1 sower of temptation
2 blessed alliance
2 celestial purge

>Playing my first modern event in years today
>playing Enchantress

wish me luck, Veeky Forums.

you'll need a lot more than luck to help you

I guess I should say. I'm looking for feedback for lands. I want to run a lot of various tech lands and potential sources for life gain.i figured if I up my wall count with wall of essence and run a miren, the moaning well.

Remember when people thought Tron would die with Eye of Ugin banned?

tron did die

Thank fuck for that, shit is turbocancer

No it didn't. Plenty of mouth breathers still run it. It's worse but it still works

all those finishers don't really matter when you get blown the fuck out by tron anyways. controls problem is that it has two big deck archtypes that beat it: shitty tron decks and shitty linear aggro decks.