How do you feel about skimpy armor as game abstractions?

How do you feel about skimpy armor as game abstractions?

Since most systems have no rules or even suggestions for how covering a piece of armor must be to bestow its full bonus, a "chain mail" can be just a chainmail bikini and still give the same protection.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11536399
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Magic.

If the game is relatively serious then it's annoying.

If the group is just fucking around then it's whatever. I mean, the barbarian is already starting a cult centered around the worship of beef (not cows, just beef). A mail-kini isn't that far out of the realm of possibility.

>a cult centered around the worship of beef

Pretty sure that just describes America.

No problem with it whatsoever in the right context. I just like settings to be consistent.

What bugs me is when you have chicks in bikini armour alongside dudes in full heavy plate and such. I want more dudes with bare chests and bulging codpieces.

>I want more dudes with bare chests and bulging codpieces.
This. So much this.

No. Male sexuality is rape and male bodies are disgusting and should be covered at all times.

Literally the only time I think sexy armor should be allowed is in mock battles or, and this is the primary reason, the Player liked the rest of her and chose to ignore the chain mail bikini.

That's it, that's the thing. The armor in the artwork =/= armor in the game, and it's pretty dumbo to insist that because your character art depicts a lacy silken thing than your character has to wear that too.

But I'm a girl and want hot guys in fantasy. ;-;

No. You are disgusted with men and their gross bodies. Stop raping yourself!

I kind of like it when it can serve to differentiate classes. It really depends on the tone of the game though.

I want more girls with bulging codpieces.

KILL IT

WITH FUCKING

FIRE

I don't care if it's male or female, it's fucking retarded. Armor stats should also take into account bodily coverage, so a mithril bikini should be worse than a leather jacket.

Unless there's artist in the group, indifferent.

Everyone is free to imagine whatever they want.

Don't most D&D editions describe each armor in turn, and sometimes even illustrate some or all of them?
I think that's pretty clear as far as coverage goes.

In my setting most protection is magical in nature anyway, and only requires a small quantity of high quality metal or leather to act as an anchor. Adding more metal just makes the armour pointlessly cumbersome, while smiths and enchanters who can make do with the absolute least material make the highest quality armour.

Deal with it.

But I can still see her luscious thighs on the left version, user.

Your setting is shit. If that little armor is able to make an enchantment that strong, then added mass should increase the area upon which to add enchantments. Bikini armor never makes any sense, and attempting to make it work involves pure retardation. If a bikini of maille does that, then I should just enchant each individual rings on an entire hauberk of thousands upon thousands of rings.

Creates an unstable magical feedback loop which renders the armour less effective as well as heavier and more bulky.

See, in a fantasy world? You don't have to obey the normal laws of reality. And always insisting people do makes you a fucking moron.

>I should just enchant each individual rings on an entire hauberk of thousands upon thousands of rings
Enchantments interfere with themselves and you end up with nothing. It's not that hard, dumbass.

What about cost? If you can only afford to enchant a few rings, it hardly makes sense to wait until you can afford to enchant an entire hauberk.

"WE CONSUME THE BEEF, WE RETURN TO THE BEEF! SUCH IS LIFE!"

We have this thread all the time. This topic has been talked about in all manners thinkable. Every question has been answered. Every thought has been articulated.

But this thread will reach bump limit, won't it?

Like every single thread on Veeky Forums. Everything was already said about everything. It's time to pack our shit and go home.

The only woman that should be exposing her breasts on the battlefield are the casters, barbarian and monk.

Everyone else should be well clothed and armored. If the Paladin wants to show off the girls than she should wear a plunging neckline dress at the next noble ball.

well, if you use harnmaster, you can specify in detail which locations are protected

I dislike it

Let's see how dis shit settles in a poll
strawpoll.me/11536399

Don't be so negative, there is still a lot of things for me to learn.

But this is a very weekly thread that could get derailed to shitpost about various things, which is probably why it was created.

Voted

Why do you hate Sword and Sorcery games so much, user?

But user, in sword and sorcery EVERYONE is barbarian or wizard.

Hey, Dejah Thoris is a Princess, not a barbarian.

Also. thieves and bandits.

I have literally never had "skimpy armor" come up in a game, and I suspect nor have you.

RPGs are not, naturally, a visual medium. I have never once had a player go out of their way to describe "oh yeah, and her tits are TOTALLY huge and hanging out of a tiny chainmail bikini" or whateverthefuck. Maybe occasionally that's all someone can find for character art, but nobody ever acts like that's totally what they're wearing in the game.

AND WHEN YOU DIE, FUCK IT, THROW HIM ON THE FIRE! MORE MEAT FOR THE REST OF THE MEAT-EATERS!

You know, considering how recognizable and consistent certain bait topics tend to be, even though the wording usually is varied enough that a wordfilter won't catch them, you could probably train a neural net to recognize shitposting/bait threads and auto-hide them if you could get a large labeled database of good and bad threads.

The difficulty would be the labeling - you need too many training examples for it to be practical for me to label them myself, but any attempt to crowdsource it would inevitably be derailed for shits and giggles.

Any ideas?

OP is why 4e D&D, with it's Unarmored Agility feat making so that you can run around in a loin clothe/chainmail bikini and still whup ass, shits on his "game" (that doesn't actually exist).

Your problem is calling it armour, which it never was.
Red Sonja, postergirl for the look since the 70's, wears the costume, which is a harem-girl costume (at least in the Ace Books continuity), as an act of spite and defiance as a woman in a warrior's world.

For what purpose?

Well, it'd be more flexible and ideally more powerful than a regex-based wordfilter, and would also be able to use the image to judge thread quality as well.

Many of the recurring threads here use *similar* wording each time they pop up, but not actually copypasta. Recognizing patterns and higher-level features of data is precisely what neural nets are good for.

I'm thinking basically a browser extension, like 4chanx, that rates threads for "probability of shitpost" and auto-hides them.

Maybe you could even do "thread embedding" with an autoencoder or something and filter any threads *similar* to a particular thread (embedding vector close to that of a particular thread).

i need to watch the shitty 80s movie now

Also, it'd be a fun project, which is the main reason I'm interested.

The need to process lots and lots of words that aren't in any standard vocabulary might even give me an excuse to code up something like the heirarchical multiscale RNN I saw on ArXiv recently.

Gladiators might have a reason to wear skimpier/rather inappropriate armor. They were meant to be showy in the ring. But outside of the ring, dealing with all sorts of hazards they wouldn't face in the ring, I can't say too many characters would stick to it unless they're really dedicated to their career and are willing to take penalties for it.

That's what I'm saying, sexy armor should be kept in mock battles or gladiatorial gigs, not the field.

as far as Dark Elf lore implicates, the less armour Witch Elves wear, the more damage they do.
And spikes, the more spikes the little armour they have, the more deadlier they are to their enemies.

Hnngh.

I was thinking about some kind of gladiator class. Characters would wear stupid/skimpy outfits to show off their muscles and would put on a show to intimidate the enemy.

>No flower

Shit-tier Intoner 3/10

But the big limitation of neural networks is that they need absolute fucktons of data to train (remember, AlphaGo was trained on every single recorded Go game, and then played itself several million times for even more data, and still lost one game to Lee Sedol.)

Like, I'd need at least 10K labeled examples of shit and non-shit threads to train a decent net. The archives mean there's plenty of unlabeled examples, but labeling that many myself would be an enormous task, and if I tried to ask other people here to help you just know someone would start mislabeling threads for shits and giggles.

Jesus christ. I like long hair on female characters but that's way too fucking long. Do they have no idea what it would be like living with hair that long?

It gets caught and snagged on everything. It's constantly blowing across your face and into your eyes. Fuck you if it rains, that shit is heavy as hell.
You can only go a few days without washing it or combing it and at that length you'd need someone else to help.

If you DID still have hair that long you'd braid it back. Jesus.

>women in skimpy armor
>WAAAAAA RUINS MY IMMERSION, IT PROTECTS NOTHING
>Barbarian in fur boxers and horned helmet with nothing else
>SO IMMERSIVE IT'S LIKE IN MY FANTASY BOOKS

You're either a woman or homosex. Which is it?

Reminds me of a webcomic I read years ago, can't recall the name. It had a skilled female warrior training up a group of female guards in a port city. The veteran had long hair in a ponytail, but that was just a sign of how damn good she was, all her recruits had to cut their hair short as they weren't good enough to cope with it yet.

Well, tastes are going to differ anyway.

What if you stored each rater's scores separately, and somehow generated a "user embedding" to go with their scores? People who rated threads in different patterns would go in different categories of user. Then, you could train the net on scores, conditioned on both the OP text/image and the user embedding. To use the net, you'd rate a bunch of threads yourself to get matched with a particular user category, get a matching user embedding, and then that would also be input into the net.

You wouldn't even need to generate the embedding neurally - say everybody's voting on some subset of the same 10K threads; I'm sure there's some clustering algorithm you could use. You'd need to make sure you had lots of people voting, though.

The scars where the skimpy armor failed to protect her are a nice touch.

Hm, well I could see a character doing it if they were That Fucking Good and they liked making a show out of the combat they were involved in. But that takes a certain kind of character, most wouldn't have the background to act that way.

Considering in game, when your HP starts to drop its usually not fatal wounds until the end, so you/DM could just keep fluffing the damage so the character due to their skills manages to avoid the worst of the attack/dodges it/parries it while still taking damage.

They should be covered in blood and still subject to the elements at the end of it all, though. Townspeople should be rather shocked to see them. Maybe some would be intimidated by this gladiator's appearance, but other's would think its a joke and not take the party seriously.

Utterly pointless with boobs that small.

All religious festivals in the cult of Beefology are conducted around a sacred Barbecue, and all parishioners must sit on lawn chairs.

They do, but they also have notable exceptions.
AD&D magazines every so often would describe magical armors that didn't cover much at all but gave significant AC.
D&D3e had the Gloryborn armor or whatever which said it could look like some leather straps and still give protection of heavy armor.
D&D4e no one cares about
D&D5e doesn't have a lot of fluff yet

Then there's the whole bracers of armor/defense

I see what you did there

Is this more appropriate?

Careful, she might do painful things to your balls.

Apathy wins, lechery is second. Damn you slaaneshi wankers

If there's a reason (like it's magic armor), then I don't give it a second thought. if it's just skimpy armor, then it would offer minimal protection, at best, but, other than that, I don't care.

The player I played with whose character wore the least was a girl. Her barbarian was nearly always topless... until she became a nation's queen.

Sometimes I wonder why people like ridiculously oversized tiddies.

I mean sure, tiddies are great and all, but past a certain point you aren't really gaining anything from having more tiddy, and that point is generally reached well before the size of the person's head.

What is this, genderbent Conan?

Dejah wears less than that in the books.

Consume enough animu and your perceptions will change

Shit taste is an acquired taste.

>past a certain point you aren't really gaining anything from having more tiddy
Anything larger than a good C-cup is honestly starting to get a bit much, for me. You want enough that you can get a good handful, but not so much that it's ridiculous.

Buddy, they said deal with it. You're not allowed to argue the point after that.

Bikini armour thread?

My condolences that you're not man enough to appreciate a good tiddy

>not man enough to be an animeme babby

Maybe a little in the inspiration dept. I can see the parallels... but, in play, not really.

Visual design and eye-candy is usually irrelevant to the medium, so it just fullfills a purpose within artwork as sex sells.
When trying to work it into the narrative like i usually do, it shatters any kind of believability if it is done without offering any kind of magical protection. in some cases, the design would be justified depending on who wears it and how it actually works, but i never really tried to incorperate it in some way.

in our system, "regular" bikini armor would be, mechanicly speaking, this:
DMG-Reduction: Diceroll -x
counts as partial armor, so it is completely ignored when the attacker hits armor gaps

Name one person who has ever said this

>a good tiddy
As other anons have pointed out, everybody loves some nice big tits, but there is just a point at which they become a mockery of the real thing instead of an idealized depiction.

You are probably thinking about calling me a fag or some smug replay that implies how much better your taste is, but you said yourself that this has nothing to do with taste, but constantly being exposed to it, like some form of sickness.

>tiddies large enough to cause center of gravity issues with basically any movement more energetic than a casual walking pace unless they're strapped the fuck down (which they never appear to be), to say nothing of the lower back issues
>good
anime was a mistake

Bring it on my nig

Who am I to refuse?

Any shapely tiddy is good tiddy, but at times one wants enough tiddy to use as a pillow

What for? You're not going to be sleeping on them.

Because it looks nice and soft

And there is the Glamered enchantment that nobody uses that allows the armor to appear as "normal" clothing, which of course varies from culture to culture.

It looks dumb.

I don't care about "practicality" or "objectification" or any of that bullshit. The fact is that skimpy armor looks fucking retarded.

Fighter is best girl.

That's a demon.

I don't really have much problem with it. Magic solves most of the realism issues with the armor, and especially for light armies like leather it's easy to ignore.

Someone trying to wear a mundane fullplate bikini would raise some eyebrows from me, though if I were trying to be 'realistic' I would probably just tell them to use it as a lighter set like a breastplate, or a chain mail bikini as hide. The better materials should help cover the difference between the area covered, similarly to how an adamantite breastplate can be almost as good but still worse than fullplate.

A semen demon

It all about the stats, good sir! If you equipped in the slot it give you more protection there.