How do orkz, tau, necrons, and tyranids travel at FTL speeds? I've heard tau can't, but then how do they have an empire?

How do orkz, tau, necrons, and tyranids travel at FTL speeds? I've heard tau can't, but then how do they have an empire?

>orks
Warp
>Tau
Warp, albeit with shallower transitions into it
>Necrons
Webway
>Nids
Gravity tunnels created between stars

I thought the Necrons used inertia-less drives.

Correction:

Orks
>Warp

Tau
>Warp skimming, basically bounce off the Warp

Necrons
>Superluminal engines and phase-out powers, basically they ghost their way through realspace

Tyranids
>Gravity tunnel

Eldar
>Webway

>Orks
They still have warp drives, but they aren't very affected by daemonic influence and such. If for example, a daemon manifests on their ship, melds into the wall, and screeches at them, the Kaptin would throw a wrench at it and tell it to shut up.
>Crons
Inertialess drives, they basically travel through spacetime and "teleport" places, phasing in and out of existence.
>Tau
I have no fucking idea. Originally, they only had basic flight, so a journey to another system would take years. But that was retconned a long time ago, and I think they still have "warp drives" that utilize the warp, but they don't realize it

The tau skip the warp.

The earth caste is still trying to figure out how the warp works (something that baffles them still, that the imperium with perceived inferior tech, has 'mastered' this powerful form of travel) so their ships barely get into the warp. Their ship engines can get them into the warp, but its extremely brief and they are almost immediately spit back out, but have traveled some.

Think of it as a tub full of water being the warp. Then take an air filled rubber ball. Drop that from a decent height and the ball falls into the water, then the buyancy immediately surfaces it. Tau travel into the warp is pretty much that.

Part of it has to do with the Tau still trying to figure out the equations for warp space and travel, not realizing it's complete chaos without the imperial navigators.

Orks go in the warp and give no shits.
Tau skim the warp, meaning safer but much slower journeys.
Not sure about crons, apparently some kind of tunelling akin to the the Webway, or their own version of it.
Nids, from what I've heard (no idea about veracity or sauce tho) bend space to shorten the distance, so possibly some form of warp drive (as in, Alcubierre, Trekshit-type warp).

When the Orks say they use "teef" to generate a Gellar Field, what does that mean exactly? Do they hang strips of teef like christmas decorations? Do they use squig-tusks? Do they call the massive metal spikes they put on everything "teef"?

Whatever the answer, I've always taken it to mean a mix of all three, seeing as so much Orky tech has that scrap-tribal look.

The necron hyperdrive operates in two ways.

First of all, their tech is so advanced that they can just move faster than light. No warp bullshit, they JUST go faster than light.

Second part is they have tech that essentially makes their ships intangible, so when they're speeding around at lightspeed they don't crash into shit - they just phase through it in a fraction of a fraction of a second.

>not realizing it's literal chaos
fify

There was also a case of them getting a ship to completely submerge into the warp, but it being lost forever. Something the Ethereals are not willing to risk again, so they stick with what they know.

Likely the experimental ship didn't have a gellar field so they got raped by daemons, and on top of that they had absolutely no clue how to navigate it, so if it did come back out, it probably ended up somewhere clearly outside of the Empire and likely several hundred years into the past or future.

I am imagining if the ship is discovered later it would pretty much be the movie Event Horizon.

>those heels

>Blueberry Horizon

Id pay to see that movie.

it just W O R K S

This is the single pic I've seen in the series where the character isn't at least a little naked. Heels are tame for them.

Like, literal teef. The biggest they can find they just fucking tape, glue, hammer, or weld onto the hulls of their ships to "scare" off the deamons. Of course, Orkz being Orkz AND actually being in the warp, this works. Mostly. Any deamons that do get in are promptly gibbed by the mob of bored Orkz.

I'd Guard her Imperial Cadian if you know what I mean.

i really don't

The amount of retards in this thread is staggering.

The Tau do not skim the Warp. The Tau skim the void between reality and the Warp. The Tau do not interact with the Warp at all. It's impossible for them to pierce the Warp without a psyker helping them.

As for the Necrons, their Inertialess drives are NOT FTL. Their max speeds is near-light. The Necrons use Dolmen Gates, which give them access to webway, for FTL. The codex states that without Dolmen Gates, the Necrons will be doomed to isolation.

You lying piece of shit. The Tau never achieved Warp submersion nor they even touched the Warp.

BFG tau lore states that without psykers guiding the transition, there is no amount of power is capable of piercing into the Warp.

What's with you degenerates and trying to make your headcanon seem official. Just say it would be nice if "so-so happened.. Don't try to pass off your bullshit as fluff.

>Gravity tunnels created between stars

Im not sure thats possible. That would just be a black hole... and even if for some reason they can exit again, one black hole is not connected to another. Black holes are called dark stars for a reason.

From what I remember, it was psychic nid space whales somehow using the gravity of the target planet to accelerate it and other nid ships toward the target planet.

It's space-magic. Don't think about it too hard.

Just writing [citation needed] could suffice.

Berating the cunt for his behaviour is better.

>I'm not sure that's possible
40keks!

See, there are plenty of ways to correct ignorance without goint super turbo autist about it user.

This is the only way to make it stick.

BFG is completely non-canon. Got another source?

>Sees incorrect thing/sees people confused about some fine details

Normal human response:
>Oh, I'll clarify this. I'll make a few corrections.

Veeky Forums sperg response:
>WRONG! KILL YOURSELF, YOUR WRONGNESS HURTS MY SOUL! REEEE!

No, because now I'm going to post wrong information on purpose just to piss you off. You, specifically. Basically out of spite. For the rest of eternity. Have fun "correcting" me, pal.

>They still have warp drives, but they aren't very affected by daemonic influence and such. If for example, a daemon manifests on their ship, melds into the wall, and screeches at them, the Kaptin would throw a wrench at it and tell it to shut up
Less that they aren't affected, more that they enjoy the consequences

orks crack me up desu senpai

The worst part is he's completely wrong because Battlefleet Gothic has been discontinued.

That that was true, then the golden age of mankind literally never happened. Because Psykers didn't start being born into humanity with enough regularity to be noticed by human civilization until lose to the end of the DaoT, long long after humanity spread throughout the galaxy with warp based FTL.

So that's clearly untrue.

No, it isn't. Unless the information in it is not retconned, then information it it proceeds forward. Don't you know how canon works?

Like I am going to care, You are just a random jackass on the web. What matters is I proced that you are a jackass.

Deep-ish submersion without a navigator is impossible. Sorry, that's how the fluff goes.

> As for the Necrons, their Inertialess drives are NOT FTL. Their max speeds is near-light. The Necrons use Dolmen Gates, which give them access to webway, for FTL. The codex states that without Dolmen Gates, the Necrons will be doomed to isolation.

One: Thats stupid, because Inertialess drives are literally one of the few ways to crack the speed of light by conventional physics. Its what makes Mass Effect and Star Trek FTL work.

Two: Thats stupid, because if the Necrons had to steal FTL by piggybacking on the webway, how did they expand throughout the galaxy to fight the old ones before the webway was constructed? That fluff makes the War in Heaven totally absurd. Necron fleets that left their homeworld at the start of the war would only just now be arriving at their destination to fight the old ones.

And the Tau Codex states that the Tau travel by skimming the surface of the Warp and the one time they tried submersion they fucked up.

So, it's clearly been retconned retard.

>What matters is I proced that you are a jackass.
No, you proved yourself a jackass, jackass. No one gives a shit, so go take a long fuck off a short pier. And then call your mom and apologize for wasting her gift of your life.

That only applies to Codices fuckface.

Battlefleet Gothic, like Imperial Armor, was wholly non-canon.

>Old Ones built the webway long before the Necrons decided to get uppity
>Necrons build the dolmen gates and sneak into it when they need to

Which raises the question of how the Necrons even knew the webway existed at all, being a psychically inert race.

It's always been my opinion that the full speed inertialess drive got retconned because it would make the Emperor look like a retard for starting his webway project when he could have just science'd up a true FTL engine.

>One: Thats stupid, because Inertialess drives are literally one of the few ways to crack the speed of light by conventional physics. Its what makes Mass Effect and Star Trek FTL work.

In 40K, they don't.

Imotekh's ships were described to be traveling at near-light speed. In general, Necron ships are slow as balls. If forced to rely on them, then the Necrons would never be a galactic threat since they would be isolated in their home systems.

>Two: Thats stupid, because if the Necrons had to steal FTL by piggybacking on the webway, how did they expand throughout the galaxy to fight the old ones before the webway was constructed? That fluff makes the War in Heaven totally absurd. Necron fleets that left their homeworld at the start of the war would only just now be arriving at their destination to fight the old ones.

First thing, the Webway was a thing even at the time of the Necrontyr.

Second, after ages of exploring and colonizing using their stasis ships, the Necrontyr Empire accounted for much of the galaxy. While their ships were slow as balls, their teleportion and wormhole technology was not.

once Necron(tyr) ships arrived after a slog, they would place teleport beacons or open wormholes to summon the colonists or reinforcements from lightyears away.

However, this method is incredibly sub-par compared to the Webway that can get you anywhere in a second.

>And the Tau Codex states that the Tau travel by skimming the surface of the Warp and the one time they tried submersion they fucked up.

You lying pice of shit, I own the Tau codex. It does not say that.

It applis to all GW sources, you moron.

I like how you make rules without anything backing you up.

See this post.user insists on being a lying cunt. So he deserves to be called a lying cunt.

If you get mad at lying cunts lying called lying cunts, then you are a lying cunt yourself.

The Tau BFG lore coming right up. Need some sources up n here to disprove the retards and liars.

user, I don't give a fuck about who is right or wrong. You are being a mad-dog cunt about the fluff for a dumbass war game about giant bald men smacking each other with chainsaws, on a Peruvian pan-flute message board. It doesn't fucking matter, so stop being a sweary cunt calling people liars, and apologize to your dear mum.

They do, but that's for their fleets, and this obviously takes a long time to get anywhere. They can also smash their way into the webway to get somewhere more quickly.

Posting an excerpt from a recent(ish) WD article.

That still would be slow, compared to 'spend a month travelling through the Warp, cross thousands of light years of distance.' Even if they were going ten times the speed of light, a 1000 light-year journey would take them what, a century?

Then piss off. A no good liar is a liar regardless about the subject. Quit trying to derail the subject and move on with your butthurt and mas at being proven wrong.

>You lying pice of shit, I own the Tau codex. It does not say that.

Not him, but that's what the 4E codex used to say.

The new ones simply say they use a ZFR Horizon Accelerator engine, for which we have absolutely no details.

So those guys aren't lying, they're just repeating fluff from a decade ago and pretending like it hasn't been updated since.

Okay, the general problem with the warp is the fact that it's a place of pure emotion, not matter.
Without reality there to protect you, daemons start to form, tearing everything apart in an orgy of violence, plague, change, and orgy.

The gellar field works by generating a bubble of reality around the ship, allowing it to sail through the warp relatively unmolested.

The orks decorate their ships with totems and other similar shit to scare off daemons, and they're all united by this certainty, that they carry a bubble of reality along with them. There may be something technological involved, there may not.
It's hard to tell since there's very little standardization involved.

user, you're autistic, aren't you? Calm the fuck down, put down the red bull, and go for a walk. You are only wasting your life trying to mad-dog people for being wrong on the internet. And that's the most you can say. They posted incorrect or outdated info on a Mongolian smoke signal forum. Liar is a pretty heavy exaggeration. So please fuck off and hug a dog or something.

I have the bloody 4th codex and even the 3th ED codex. They say NOTHING about closely related to this (). That post was made a lying child who wanted to push his headcanon as actual fluff.

But the Tau do have a race of pyskers as a client race - theoretically, they could've had a Nicassar trying to act as a navigator.

>Stop being right on the INTERNET!
Well this is a new one.

I said piss off with your attempts at derailment. Nobody cares. You were wrong, I was right. deal with it.

Here's the old Tau fluff by the by.

>Nobody cares.
Nobody cares about any of this. Least of all me. I'm just here to watch you rant and rave about how right and smart you are because you never got kissed in high school and your ego needs the shoring up.

Aww look, it's anons getting their first taste of Carnac. Though probably not their actual first, just the first they'll remember.

I would like to refer you to the cover of the November issue of scientific American

>Without psykers, the tau could not make translations into the warp, but they had learnt to make short hops through the edge of the immaterial and real space, sticking to pre-ordained ‘stepping stones’. This particular transit point, deep in the Cannis gas cloud, was known to connect to the Sexton Sector. It was what the tau thought was a safe transit route, but its location had been known to the Deathwatch for some time.

-Storm of Damocles.

Here is fluff from a recent novel.

ZFR Horizon Accelerator engines were revealed to be the skim engines. Again, it's said the the Tau cannot transition into the Warp without psykers.

The Nicassar don't have any experience in navigating the Warp. Their ships were slower than even the Tau's.

Then fuck off and let the adults talk.

Now show me where it says that the Tau managed to get one of their ships fully submerged into the Warp and then got lost and the whole thing was covered up by the Ethereals? Come on, the user said it was in the codex. You are defending him. Get to work finding it.

Let me know when you find one, buddy.

>tg
there are no adults here

haha nice projecting

Posting the lore about the Dolmen Gates. This has been out for years and still some people don't have the slightest idea about it despite the fact that this fluff acts the backbone of the Necron lore.

>a yelling match between internet individuals using a korean paper show over which variation of imaginary lore for an imaginary faction in an imaginary setting is the most least imaginary
>for adults

So you are saying it wasn't lies and that it's actually canon from the codexes? Then come on then. Show me where it is in the codex. Get me a page. Failure to do so would means you are one "projecting".

Some people just cannot handle being wrong.

I heard Necrons use warp drives. As in they actually warp space to bring the destination to the target like Star Trek.

Adhering to truth ad being honest regardless of the subject is the mark of an adult.

Lying for pity reasons and projecting your desires on something, is the sigh of a child. This user is a perfect example . He got proven wrong and couldn't help but try to derail the thread.

They don't.

canonically, the Necrons have the slowest ships in the setting.

Just how the fuck did they manage to spread across the entire galaxy then?

>He got proven wrong and couldn't help but try to derail the thread.
user. I didn't get proven wrong. was my first post. I'm just here to poke you with a stick because you're a jackass who needs to be reminded of that fact. I don't care about your topic, you're just such a cunt that I wanted to pass an hour fucking with you.

But you're derailing the thread, I'm not even any of those other guys, I just came here to post that scientific American picture, but it's definitely you who's derailing the thread

Very very very very slowly. Using slow burning generation ships.

>So you are saying...
[Citation needed]. If you're going to be such a stickler for sauce, go find me where in I said that.

>A lying child who wanted to push his headcanon as actual fluff
>There is no such thing as people making an honest mistake or remembering things incorrectly
>Yeah sure I'm making assumptions about this user and their motivations for posting something
>I'm not projecting though I swear

>canonically, the Necrons have the slowest ships in the setting.

They still use inertialess drive to zip around, mate. It's in Shield of Baal. It's just not speedy gonzales fast anymore, so they use the dolmen gates to get around the galaxy.

They're far from the slowest.

Yet somehow faster than the Eldar and Old Ones.

It's GW lore man, you'd be hard pressed to find a more inconsistent and poorly explained heap of bullshit.

AI was navigating then I suppose

Nope, it wasn't a honest mistake. He was fabricating a story to push forward as actual fluff. If he didn't remember thins correctly then he wouldn't been so cocksure about t.

Nothing was projected. A bad liar is clear as day. These schoolyard behavior is easily spotted.

They weren't.

The Webway was much faster than the Necrontyr and ships and they were wrecked by it.

Even now as necrons, the Webway is the only thing that keeps the Necron relvant on a galactic scale since without the Webwway, they would be screwed.

Slowest when it comes to space travel. Necron ships can go from zero to near-light speed in a few moments. However, Necron ships cannot hope to outpace warp travel which exceeds FTL many times over.

But then how the fuck were they able to take over the entire galaxy before the war in heaven?

> Orks
Non-navigatored jumps, semi-efficient, demons as entertainment en route.

> Tau
Short hops not far into the warp, no navigators, no real steering, inefficient and short ranged.

> Necrons
Real-space FTL, or they use the webway.

> Nids
Hive ships can enter the warp on their own. They can probably navigate too, or just head for concentrations of mass.
Some fleets just plain don't, and simply sleep their way across galaxies at near-lightspeed.

The Tyranids : Through Narvhals have FTL via manipulating the gravity of systems. Also they can still use the Warp for travel

Tau ; Attained the skim drives and gained slow but reliable FTL.

The Orks : Never truly mastered space travel. Some of their fleet is made up of scavenged and looted ship parts that may include watp engines of other races. If they don't have stolen warp engines, then weirdboyz are used to open rifts in the warp to be used for travel. During the brief time in the Waaagh of the Beast, the orks developed sub-space tunneling, though the technology was lost with the Beasts death.

Imperials : Regular Warp travel.

Eldar Warp travel + Webway

Necrons : the only race to have failed to develop FTL technology. They use the Webway as their primary means of space travel.

>schoolyard behavior
>Carnac accusing others of behaving like children
Is there a word in German or some shit for this kind of irony?

>Slowest when it comes to space travel

I very much doubt inertialess drive is slower than they Tyranid method.

seeThe took over a large portion of the galaxy, not all of it.

The Tyranid way outside of system is faster. However, within systems they are very slow to the point where the Tau near-light engines were faster than them.

>How did Necrons take over the galaxy?
>They took over the galaxy.

I was talking about the Necrontyr.

And how did the Necrons takeover the galaxy? The answer is the C'tan. The C'tan gifted the knowledge of the Dolmen Gates to the Necrons finally allowing them to be a FTL species.

>Though the Tau fleet was pursued by dozens of bio-ships, only a handful of cadre vessels were boarded and destroyed before the Tau successfully punched through the Tyranid blockade. Unaffected by the Shadow in the Warp, the Tau’s ZFR Horizon drives propelled their ships at near light speed through realspace, and arrived safely at Ke’lshan. It took the Tyranids many days to traverse the same span of space, and for the first time in months, the Tau hoped to have a chance to catch their breath and recuperate.

Related text.

>the only race to have failed to develop FTL technology

The Eldar didn't make the webway, and they don't use 'normal' Warp travel.

But that's still bullshit. If the Old Ones not only had a head start but were that much faster, there's simply no way the Necrontyr could have ever spread at all.

Witnessed. Also, the Night Scythe uses a wormhole to transport units to the battlefield. The Necrons probably used a similar system during the war - send a ship, it sets up a wormhole, reinforcements can come through as long as it remains active.

Read the codex user. GW fucked Crons over sort off. They still have their wormhole and dimensional tech and at other times in the book they still seem to be able to move FTL however thats what the book says.

I didn't say they made the Webway. As the children of the Old Ones they inherited and mastered it. While the Necrons clumsily bumble around in sparse areas of it, the Eldar can walk its path with ease.

And Eldar ships are capable of Warp transition.

Deal with it. That's the fluff.

>I didn't say they made the Webway.

But they use it just like the Necrons do, without having developed their own technology to traverse the galaxy.

>Eldar ships are capable of Warp transition.

Source?

seeTo deploy teleport beacons or wormholes, they need to get there first.

The fluff is clear on the matter. No Dolmens = isolation for the Necrons.

Sorry, Necrons do not possess their own FTL technology. This is meant for races with psykers only.