I want to run a quest where players bust a wizard for violating magical laws regarding the ferocity if created...

I want to run a quest where players bust a wizard for violating magical laws regarding the ferocity if created creatures.

In essence, the wizard is making overpowered shit compared to most monsters, and needs to be stopped.

Do you think players willbe into a dungeon where they have to avoid most monsters as part if the plot?

The mid run twist will be that the wizard is barricaded at the top of his tower and really wants an evac from all the horrible clawmonsters.

Make it an island.

Well, that -would- solve the problem of why the monsters havent spread yet.

also because island of dr. moreau is a thing, hence the image. have fun getting called out for that.

How does this law work, is there some kind of ferocity quotient that a creature may not exceed? How is this measured?

Yes, there's a rough standard above which monsters are illegal to make.

It is generally measured in damage to property and lethalities in creation.
Or in good old fationed pokemon battles.

So is this like the assault weapons ban where monsters with two or more of a specific set of creatures are considered assault monsters or is it more statistical and measured in property damage per hour or something.

Specific set of features, I mean.

Either, really.
Alsoif you splice shit like petrifying gaze into something strong enough without said gaze.
Or if you make a lion that, when killed, splits into two lions.

The twist is that the wizard was trying to create monstergirls, but instead got monsters with the souls of girls on the inside.

>Wizards makung an assault monster ban

Nobody needs a beardragon with laser eyes for self defense! Its immoral!

If you want to properly emulate the assault weapons ban it needs to specifically ban some specific monsters by name and then also ban a bunch of random features that don't actually affect lethality.

So you can have laser eyes on your monster and the eye beams can be as powerful as you want, but you can't have eye beams on a monster that is a combination of two animals.

Also Owlbears are outright banned. Bearowls are not, neither are Eaglebears, Buzzardbears or Condorbears.

I wonder how much of a clusterfuck we can make wizardlaw

again if you want to imitate actual US gun laws it would be more like law imposed on wizards by nonwizards that don't know very much about magic except that it's scary and they don't like it.

This is how you get maximum clusterfuck.

>law imposed on wizards by nonwizards that don't know very much about magic
And this is how magic users started a civil war and eventually instated a magocracy.

In the case of the US gun law analogue the nonwizard government has armies of professional battlemages who aren't subject to magic restricting laws.

You act as if everyone has seen it. Hell I barely remember seeing it until seeing that picture.

Just look at that fucking owlbear.
He definitely lifts.

>overpowered monsters
That wizard must be mixing Trolls with damn near anything. Those regen bonuses are ridiculous crazy. Like a regenerating sentient Ooze. Shit's bananas.

That being said, Hectichermit you gotta stop making these things. They're so freaking OP, I bust an angry nut every time you tell me about them, lol.

Take a dragon
Breed it with a trill
You have created warcrime!

>Troll owlbear
I cal it... The trowelbear

a hyper warcrime! a crime against humanity AND wars! put together!!
We got some upper level warcrimes in this thread

The real problems start to happen when wizards start trying to correct deficiencies in existing animals.

"It bothers me that Krakens can only attack surface ships, not airships, let's correct that"

We simply apply the principles seen in todarodes pacificus on a larger scale along side with some modifications to the already existent cephalopod jet propulsion organ and we're well on our way to a surface to air Kraken.

With any luck the modifications to the propulsion organs will also enable the Kraken to move at super high speeds in water as well!

It'd be a bunch of hard rules and a bunch of "out of this list, a monster may only have one or two of these features.

So hard rules: Speed inversely scales with size, no creature that operates in packs may have a one-hit-kill ability, or more than two of the following general attributes
A) High Speed
B) Exceptional Hardiness
C) Exceptional Damage
D) Status Effects
E) Magical Abilities
No creature may have more than one status effect, nor more than one ranged attack.

I feel like I need to write out this complicated law system that explains why CR is like the way it is.

I was picturing some sort of "creationstitution" type law set where there's a core set of general articles from when it was originally agreed to, plus a load of "amendments" added later when someone found a particularly horrible loophole, like
>"amendment 13: a creation that releases another autonomous entity from its body that can survive seperate from its body, regardless of how long it can survive seperate from its core body, is to be considered to operate "in packs" and thus not allowed to have one-hit-kill abilities"

I feel like I could make a game out of the premise of wizards attempting to rules lawyer wizard monster laws.

It sounds like something that could have some real traction.

I could see it as some sort of Flux style card game where the rules change in the middle of play.

I really hope your in-universe legal documents don't actually use game terms like "one-hit-kill" and "Status Effects".

well, what would you propose they be called?