Everything is somebody's fetish, yet clearly...

Everything is somebody's fetish, yet clearly, some ideas are worse than others and Veeky Forums always seems to know which ones to consistently call down as "magical realm".

And so, I ask you: where do you, personally, draw the line to the magical realm?

Mostly it's whenever player gets too into detail.

For example, saying you're cutting off a goblins head is perfectly normal. Describing it rolling off and your knight stepping on it to intimidate the rest of the gobbos is fine too.
Going forth to describe the gobbo's convulsing body, oozing blood and so on - that starts pinging for guro magical realm. If it happens persistently, I'll ask to tone it down. If it is combined with attempts to murder random female NPCs, that'll probably end up with the boot.

When it becomes unenjoyable for the players.
It isn't things that are sexual or fetish related, the term is about the GM inserting things the players are uncomfortable with and don't want to deal with. Depending on the game and group this could range from holding hands to something more vanilla like kobolds with wide egg-laying hips

When i like it, it's fine.

When i don't like it, it's magical realm.

>Veeky Forums always seems to know which ones to consistently call down as "magical realm"
Nah, not really. I remember posting this cute dragon once as an idea for a minor character, either NPC's familiar or just a harmless mini-dragon to talk to. Someone called it a vore magical realm because apparently someone else used a similar image as a reason to talk about a hand-sized dragon eating a human or something.
Then again, if you shoot anything that moves, you're guaranteed to kill the right guy eventually.

>And so, I ask you: where do you, personally, draw the line to the magical realm?

The line for what is or is not magical realm depends largely on the tone of the game and the people I'm playing with - a hardcore gangbang where the sorceress is implied to get spitroasted does not work well for an epic fantasy romp through Not!Ireland, but it fits right in for a "mature" (read: smutty) dynastic game built around political intrigue.

I'd like to make a shout-out to Court Justice Potter Stewart when I use his most famous quote to describe the magical realm; "I know it when I see it." Magical realm lacks definable parameters, it's subjective and should be treated as such.

So, the game I'm in is pretty free with lewd stuff. The DM and one of the players are gay and married, I'm trans, one of the other players is a lesbian/leans mostly towards girls, and there's probably 1 or 2 other bi people there.

Occasionally, there's jokes about my character having such a feminine penis, or the lesbians futa orc accidentally knocking someone out with her cock.

It never goes beyond just relaxed jokes like that though. I'm sure if someone started describing in detail how they want to be swallowed by a dragon or take a 18 inch cock in their butt, people would put a stop to it pretty quickly.

Too much gore description is a big no no too, one of our players, S is very squeamish and I am to a lesser degree.

Don't get me wrong either, I'm an incredibly lewd person who likes doing lewd, extremely submissive stuff and petplay. We just don't tend to let it interrupt the game too much

>mfw I wanted to be a sassy little shitter about your rainbow lineup of orientations until I realized 99% of the greatest smut I've ever written was with gay or trans people playing the girl

Thank you for being in this hobby, or should I be thanking you for being in it? I don't know, I'm just going off on a tangent here.

It's okay user, it's balanced out by me being the only Trump supporter in the group I think
It's a pretty dang comfy hobby! Pretty lewd at times too

Extremely comfy indeed, I've had just as much fun spending a session bantering at the tavern as I've had being the master and mate of our party's wolf-girl, who zealously defends us by day and services my character's lusts by night.

I mostly tend to play catgirls myself, but that wolfgirl sounds a lot like my character

Catgirls are cute too, basically any animal-person works well for the *unbreakable bond* thing between mates.

I'd still say my favorite are chesty sorceresses who tag along with their knightly retainers, casually offering herself to him as a reason to stay before doing it because she cares about him.

>And so, I ask you: where do you, personally, draw the line to the magical realm?+ 0 post omitted.
That is pretty simple. Self-indulgence, and inclusions of elements that will make others feel awkward or uncomfortable, or or worse yet compromising the integrity of the narrative, FOR the sake of self-indulgence. I don't shy from pretty fucked up things in my sessions (forever GM), and I don't disencourage subjects of sexuality or even fucked up sexuality from my players, but the agreement is that it has to serve function OTHER than "I like that stuff" or "that stuff makes me hard."

Much like with the term "Mary Sue", people forget that the original purpose of establishing terms like Magical Realm is to identify something by definition disagreeable, annoying, just not good for it's purpose. Which of course will cause a lot of problems, because people WILL draw different lines on what they find disagreeable. But it's really important to keep in mind that it's the identification of something being (normatively speaking) WRONG that is at the heart of these concepts. Not the fetishistic or sexual nature of it, that is secondary.

So generally speaking, it's not a Magical Realm if within the context of the situation (that is a bunch of people having to mutually agree on how to get along) it does not cause discomfort or strong negativity from people involved. That is all there is to it, really. People being OK with it in the specific situation is the ONLY solid demarkation of something being a magical realm. You will never find any better line than that, because everything else is going to be people arguing where they personally draw their lines, and those will just differ on case-by-case basis.

Why not go full furry, assuming you can find a setting for it?

Pic unrelated, I just like this gif

>i enjoy this thing
>why not a completely different thing?

Just sayin that it was a silly question, user.

I might be misunderstanding what "wolfgirl" means, then. I assumed it's at least Polt levels of fur, right? That's pretty much furry.

Wolf-girl is typically kenomomimi levels of fur, which is to say they gots a tail and the perky ears and the attitude, but not a whole lot else.

Polt levels is fine though, it's when they get a snout I say no bueno.

>kenomomimi
It's kemono-mimi or kemonomimi. Not sure if it's a typo, and I would normally not point this mistake out, but ke-no-momimi means "the rubbing/massaging of fur/hair" or alternatively "rubbing of substance-less/abstract objects" which suggest something very different and seems funny to me.
Right, carry on.

Kemonomimi, Kenomomimi, it was a 50/50 chance on my end.

>rub the concept of magical realm

Mistakes like these are pretty damn easy to make in a language that has pretty much only one type of syllables.

Yeah, I know it's not exactly clever or witty, but I could not pointing out the rubbing and fur references in that mistake. Though the "ke" in "kemono" already means "fur or hair" - it literally spells a "furry thing".

My line is drawn when it becomes far too self-serving. If all the prettiest ladies in the world are monster girls or shapely redheaded princesses that is fine as long is they are not the center of the story. If the magical realm enters into the territory of intrusive i.e. every single woman ever is a redhead and tries to constantly get the PCs act out fetish laden sex scenes without fading to black or everything devolves to monster rape then it's over the line.

Stop talking out your fucking ass.
It's 獣, which does not have the radical for "fur" or "hair" in it. 毛物 is how you imply it would be spelled, which would get you strange looks at the very least by an actual Japanese person.
How is it that people splurt misinformation like this without even reading up on it?

What if monkeys are my fetish?

The easiest way to determine if a less common fetish is magical realm is the amount of description put into it. Fade to black and small details are less likely to be disruptive, with increasingly detailed descriptions get closer and closer to uncomfortable territory. Eating is fine, but gets progressively creepier the more focus is put on the mouth, belly, or process in general.

However, this isn't a hard and fast rule. "By the way she has a dick" can have no other details and still trip red flags from the content alone. An obvious fetish doesn't need an overly detailed description to weird someone out. And that's all magical realm is, really: weirding someone the fuck out.

>tfw want to do a thing where the party has to kill a dragon before it digests the princess it just ate
>but even I think it sounds too magical realm
I'm not even into vore, I just like creative time constraints.

>where do you, personally, draw the line to the magical realm?
Could this work as a premise for a doujin?

It doesn't begin to be magical realm to me until someone actually gets aroused at the table. I've done a ton of magical realm-y shit before, like rape abominations, gerbils, "will save to not be aroused", etc. but I never really considered it the magical realm until me and another person at the table got really fucking horny (the bathhouse gangbang).

One of the other more fetishy players probably was more than aroused at many points before that, but the rest of us seemed to have considered it grimdark rape hilarity. Or at least, that's how I took it.

Then again, I'm also physically a retard. And somehow the most intelligent man on the planet.

>mfw Horus goes back in time to prevent the Heresy from ever happening

flirting with the innkeeper.

at that point it's like "roll to seduce." and "mark it on your sheet." drive on.

you'd be surprised how many guys expect me to actually roleplay this out.