/edhg/ - EDH/Commander General: Trash Pet Cards You Can't Bring Yourself to Cut Edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.wtf
scryfall.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pic related

Fuckin' darksteel myr, man.

How bad is Ayli-lead, B/W clerics?

So I just responded to a lethal-and-change attack with Boros Fury-Shield and Radiate.

I like this deck.

>Trash Pet Cards You Can't Bring Yourself to Cut Edition
The one card combo

I like the random aspect and I've killed a Narset player before with it. Also recently I casted it three times on an Erebos player and he also scooped after the third time because I milled his whole deck. He did waited until his turn so I though he might had some instant speed put a card on top of the deck in hand but nothing.

On pepe.dek?

Sprout Swarm's not trash though, it's great.

>Sprout Swarm
>Trash

could be fun for casual play, i wouldn't expect much more than that

It makes me do math

I might be warped on my view because I've only cast it after having cathar's crusade in play. which just makes things fucky

It's not even good in a gitrog deck. Like, the ONLY time I could think of it as 'good' is if you also have a way to immediately regrow your lands, or float the mana for an Armageddon right after or something, and even then 'good' is a stretch.

Yeah, Crusade does fuck up math pretty hard.

It's good because unless you're on the back foot and having to use it for a 5 mana chump blocker, it doesn't take long for it to turn itself into a free spell.

combine that land with eternal witness and this and for LITERALLY INFINITE URAMIS

I though at first it was three permanents but since I put it in the deck anyway it's been a good card. It's kinda political, I target three different players, including a threat and no one cares because it's at random and it may catch the right target. Also it can target lands.

Whenever I have to deal with Cathar's Crusade and multiple sets of creatures entering separately, I just move all the creatures into separate piles on my battlefield with a single die in front of each pile representing how many +1/+1 counters each creature in that pile has.
To me, it's a lot easier to keep track of than having a die on every single creature out.

I love this and I love Talent of the Telepath.

>Literally infinite
1) You'd need a sac outlet to get the Witness back in the bin.

2) This is a 4 card combo (Tomb, Witness, Sac outlet, Faith's Reward) that requires you to have at least 9 mana (4 for Faith's Reward, 4 + Tomb to activate Tomb) that doesn't even win you the game, because

3) Urami is Legendary.

Sure. The problem is in a token deck it takes about 2 turns for you to have "piles" for every number between 0 and 10.

just add blood artist and it's an infinite damage/heal combo

Oh boy, a FIVE card combo that requires 9 mana. There's surely no better way to use Blood Artist in a Junk deck.

im sorry it displeases you m'spike

What do you guys think the stars of the new commander set will be?
Will they be competitive to previous commanders or has wotc tried to tone down the power creep?
What would you like to see in later precons?

>Stars
Atraxa. She's got the most potential and is the most popular.

>Will they be competitive
Not even remotely. Most of them will be PLAYABLE on some spectrum, but none of the 4 color commanders are anything resembling 'competitive', and I don't think any of the Partner pairs are particularly amazing either.

Faerie artisan is the star of the set.

Does anyone else recognize the horns in the background?

Wotc is defiantly toning it down

And best cards are atraxa for obvious superfriends reasons.

Yes, we 'recognized' them months ago when Space Egypt was announced.

oh shit son

>Space Egypt
The fuck does the space part come from?

>>Wotc is defiantly toning it down

good

now they only need to make playing the 2013 commanders punishable by death

I mean, you can just kill people when they play it. Politics

i just don't understand what they were thinking with oloro

i wish i could have been on tg or wherever when he was spoiled. people have been saying that partner has been a shit mechanic, but "gain free value while this is in the command zone" is honestly pure format poison in my opinion

Yidris is my favorite for that sweet sweet janky multicascade combo

The floaty shit

THRASIOS

MY HERO

Just having an Esper Red general is bonkers for the colours alone. Atraxa will also obviously be popular. Yidris will be popular for the same reason Wanderer is.

On the partner end, Thrasios and Kydele seem quite good, and having a second card in the commander slot is just icing. I'll be curious to see what people will do with them. I also think we might be sleeping on Tana and Vial-Smasher. They feel like they'll be irritating if they get out the gate at a good speed.

Non legendaries have some nice cards. Draught is good. Artisans are good. Magus is good. Squire is good. Kite is good. Protector is good in multiplayer. The landcyclers are surprisingly good.

Ogre storm is better than Jeleva storm, arguably one of the most competitive decks. Breya wins with infinite colored mana. Atraxa might be okay for stax but why not just play leo and lock earlier? The other 2 are pretty fucking trash tho.

>Oloro generates value from the command zone
>Derevi's tax doesn't increase
>Prossh thrives on being recast
Sure.

I like how the boat literally has a bolas head.

I think Saskia will rise in popularity. She isn't the best out of the set, since I think Breya can be tuned very well, and gay kings will be ungodly frustrating, but I do think people are underestimating Saskia.

The cards aren't close to commander 2013's power levels, but they're above Dead Daxos and Kalemne. They also outclass most of the Planeswalker commanders aside from Daretti)

I hope they complete a Future Sight landcycle in Amhoket
The River of tears cycle would be nice

>forgetting teferi
>the strongest monoblue commander

From a competitive standpoint Yidris is probably the strongest, every storm color and if you connect with him it's over. Breya also has potential as a dedicated artifact combo deck. Atraxa is probably shit because she doesn't do much to win the game. Stax sure, but superfriends isn't gonna be fast enough to grind out. Saskia could be okay in french. Fag kings are trash at a competitive table because you just feed the combo players.

user, those are birds.
Birds fly. Mostly.

>it's over
Come on, man.

>Planeswalker Teferi being the best monoblue commander
>Not Arcum Dagsson or Azami.

fuck

Teferi wants to introduce you to his best friend, Stasis.

Teferi thinks you and Stasis will get along wonderfully.

From a competetive standpoint, that UG merfolk is the strongest, paired with whatever colors you want to best enable infinite mana.

Atraxa is a very efficient body even if you ignore the proliferate clause, I'm even considering running a voltron list with her.

Gay Kings are playable for the reason you just stated: their colours allow for Kiki-mite, Resto & etc combos and they just get you there while blocking the stompy player.

I feel like we're kinda forgetting that these guys are giving you four colours. Imagine if they were as powerful as the better legendaries in previous products while giving access to a fourth colour.

Yes, stasis is a combo with Teferi, but Azami and Arcum are far better at just comboing out and winning the game. If you want to play stax in blue, then teferi's your guy.

Either the general is a problem in which case the whole table elects to kill the player, or he is only a problem for you and your playgroup is much stronger than you are so get good.

3rd option: If they are strong enough to 3v1 the table and win every time you probably need to stop playing against them

Look at the tops of the pyramids. It's like we're going full Stargate.

>Even captcha is joining in on the fun, making me mark a house that was all pyramid-roof.

>Atraxa is a very efficient body even if you ignore the proliferate clause, I'm even considering running a voltron list with her.
Hell, even in the normal precon, it's piss easy to get enough counters on her to get a 2-hit kill. Sometimes even 1-hit if you get your counter increasing/doubling effects like corpsejack menace or hardened scales going.

That looks tacky as hell. Why do they insist on adding weird floating crap everywhere? Basically you can't use half of basic lands because there are these weird eldrazi pyramids scattered all over it or some floating mountains. I mean look at this nonsense. And now they make more of it.

Planes exist as bubbles in the Blind Eternities. Which is basically space.

>Breya wins with infinite colored mana
What fucking doesn't?

LIKELIHOOD OF COMPLETION

River of Tears > Nimbus Maze > Horizon Canopy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grove of the Burnwillows

"It combos with infinite mana" does not make a fucking card good.

4 mana to Scry 1 and then Coiling Oracle is neat, but it's not like UG is hurting for value engines, and putting "4 mana, scry 1 draw 1" on an insanely vulnerable creature is probably a worse tactic than going with the indestructible value engine that is Kruphix.

>Basically you can't use half of basic lands because there are these weird eldrazi pyramids scattered all over it or some floating mountains.
What?

These. I don't know what they're called.

>card game based on a universe with magic users everywhere
>muh realism
Shut up with your opinion.

Lots of commanders don't.

Hedrons, you mong.

And lots of them do. If your Commander is "competitive" because infinite mana works with it, that doesn't make it good. It might BE good, but not because of that.

By your logic, a 0/1 Commander that costs 6 mana and has zero abilities except "10: deal 1 damage to target player" is a 'competitive commander' because it 'combos' with infinite mana. Breya doesn't even combo with infinite mana, she combos with SPECIFIC infinite mana engines that also can churn out infinite artifacts for her to chuck.

Or, y'know, I could just play Sharuum.

It just looks ugly and ridiculous. It has nothing to with realism.

Why /can't/ you use them?

He doesn't know the word "Won't".

>she combos with SPECIFIC infinite mana engines that also can churn out infinite artifacts for her to chuck.
She sacs herself.

Okay, so you don't like those lands.
Then guess what, news flash, you don't have to use them, nobody is forcing you to use them, and there are plenty of other lands with different art to pick from all across Magic's 20+ year history.

But guess what else, most other people like them and use them.

So again, shut up with your opinion.

Alright, I'll cede that; for some reason I thought she said "Two OTHER artifacts".

Still, you need to be generating infinite COLORED mana, in 4 colors. Most of the 'infinite' engines don't do that. I'm not saying she doesn't combo, I'm saying that "Nurr she combos with infinite mana" doesn't make her good.

She combos on an Intuition pile though. That's pretty good.

I need to put together a deck with all the nonbasic hate cards. I think i'll call it the 4 color shuffle.

You know who else combos on an intuition pile?

SHARUUM.

EXISTING FUCKING COMMANDERS SERVE THE PURPOSE OF BREYA MORE CONSISTENTLY ALREADY.

Sharuum doesn't also fuck up combat like no tomorrow and embedded removal.

She also combos with Ashnod's Altar/ Krark-Clan Ironworks using Nim Deathmantle/Eldrazi Displacer
As well as Phyrexian Altar using Deadeye Navigator.
Which are all cards you'll want to run anyway in the deck. Plus there are tons of ways to generate infinite colored mana in an artifact deck.

BUT SHARUUM

Sharuum doesn't have access to red though.

Might I recommend mtg.wtf in addition to MagicCards.info?

I like scryfall.com myself.

Fairly high resolution.

I think you are vastly overestimating how useful "2, sacrifice two fucking permanents: Grasp of Darkness" is.

>she also combos with infinite mana and a way to bring her back over and over, or with Deadeye
So do lots of other things that aren't fucking shitty without those fifty additional pieces.

Oooooh, that's really nice.

Still better than Sharuum.

Sharuum doesn't have goblin welder.

I disagree. Sharuum combos out with Sculpting Steel or Metamorph + Disciple of the Vault/Blood Artist/Zulaport Cutthroat/Bitter Ordeal, as well as having the ability to just regrow an artifact and present herself as a strong body for beats.

Breya has soft removal that costs you 2 permanents, and 'combos' with much more intricate and disruptible versions of the combos Sharuum can do better.

Sharuum is literally goblin without having to sac something.

Mono-Red artifact decks are all well and good, but I feel like they run a vastly different 'plan' than the Esper decks. I think throwing a handful of the red artifact deck shit into an Esper deck just makes it do two things poorly.

Sharuum is more combo than Breya, which seems perfect for a midrange/value deck where you play token generators and sac stuff.

Yes, and all those cards are good in the deck anyway. Breya herself is useful because she can act as control by sacrificing thopters and wellsprings until you get a combo running. She's far from the most efficient combo commander, but she's going to be very resilient.

>Sharuum is more combo than Breya
...yes. That's what I'm saying. People are touting her as a great combo commander because she "goes infinite" with infinite colored mana and ten other cards.

Breya is a weaker combo commander than Sharuum, and if your plan is to play shitty artifact-token generators that you can chuck 2 at a time for 3 fucking damage, you're gonna fucking lose.

I thought River of Tears plane was cancelled in favor of Theros?

They could still repurpose the card and the mechanic. They avoid named-places lands most of the time for a reason.

Yeah but I want to sacrifice something to activate effects.
Esper and sharuum are good but having 4 colors gives access to completely new staregies due to the number of colors that are available.
I don't understand why people are comparing breya to sharuum. Of course they're different. They are completely new strategies, meaning that the decks are going to be different.
A shitty anology is kaalia and alesha. They both revolve around combat but their engines are different since one relies on the hand whereas the other is the graveyard. Same concept with breya and sharuum. Both are artifacts but they play differently

>and if your plan is to play shitty artifact-token generators that you can chuck 2 at a time for 3 fucking damage, you're gonna fucking lose.
That's what I meant when saying midrange/value though, and I think it's perfectly doable. There's a lot of support to use her as removal/timegainer and win with other stuff too (like Marionette Master).

Things I like:
>my boy kalonian hydra got a reprint, and I'm going to take soul responsibility for that because I recommend him to literally everyone
>Ydris seems very fun and janky to play, while not being horribly unbalanced

Things I don't like:
>Partner is silly and difficult to rationalize unless you're curving into both partners as your game plan
>these decks are poorly constructed and the mana bases are way to clunky

Overally:
>4/10, not awful, but I had my hopes up for something much cooler.

lol wut

floating hedrons and shit are literally the best part of the eldrazi flavor

>pic

Also I can't wait for Amonkhet. I've always loved Egyptian shit, and if we get even a handful of knockoff Egyptian Gods a la Theros, I'm definitely going to make commander decks around a couple of them.