Why do good people ever fear death in the Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder universe...

Why do good people ever fear death in the Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder universe? You definitely for sure get transported to a bitchin' heaven paradise to chill with your favourite god. It's not even up for debate either as it's been proven to exist through magic you can see. There should be none of the doubt that some religious people face in our world. Fuck it, who cares whether anyone on the material plane lives or dies?

'Cause I got shit to do.

No you don't. You're on Veeky Forums.

I can see two main reasons:

Firstly, death is very unpleasant. Violent death is painful, and death from illness or old age is incredibly uncomfortable. Sure, you'll be fine afterwards, but that doesn't mean you want to do it. You'll put it off as long as possible, humans are great at procrastinating.

Secondly, you had things you wanted to do here on the material plan, that you haven't gotten around to yet. Once you're dead, you generally stay dead. So you'll be cut off from accomplishing anything you planned on that was dependent on earthly things. So again, you're going to avoid death until you're damn well ready. You want the gods to work to your schedule, not theirs.

Why do Christians IRL fear death?

Because, you sociopathic pinhead, when you die in Pathfinder the servants of Pharasma strip hou of all your memories after she has judged you and adjudicated and after life in which you will basically:
A) Fade into raw spiritual material which will fuse into the plane.
B) Become an outsider that in time will be destroyed in one of ghe many conflicts between moral specters and which essence will be pulled back to its plane of origin for merge with the plane.
Why? Because all the after lives are being constantly grind by the maelstrom of pure raw chaos that is limbo and from that grinding the positive energy plane is generated spawning new souls in the process.
There is no happy after life in which you will reunite with hour ancestors. No matter if you are good aligned.

>Why do good people ever fear death in the Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder universe?

Because the cleric isn't high enough level for raise dead yet!

I explained that in the post buddy. Even devout Christians can have their doubts because there's no concrete proof of an afterlife. They have to rely on faith alone. That's not true in D&D.

Thank you for being the light heart in a thread full of divs.

Give me a choice between the feast hall of Valhalla and being with my friends, I'll pick my friends.

>when the party druid offers to throw out a reincarnation in the meantime

What source book is this from, or is it just your retarded headcanon? Why the fuck would anyone worship a god if you get turned into raw chaos anyway!

Is not headcannon.
All this is explained in one of the modules belonging to the Mummy's Mask Adventure Path.
Hell even Pharasma servants that are specialized into wiping out your memory are stated in Inner Sea Bestiary.

I had no idea Golarion's afterlife was so bleak. Anyway, the question is still legitimate in 99% of D&D settings.

It's not enough to be good.
You have to be a devout servant, lip service lands you in the wall.

>You definitely for sure get transported to a bitchin' heaven paradise to chill with your favourite god. It's not even up for debate either as it's been proven to exist through magic you can see.
Your argument is disjoint. The magic has been proven to exist. People claim the divine magic comes from a god. They could be mistaken. They could be lying.

Going to the dentist benefits you in the long run. Doesn't mean people don't irrationally dread going.

It's so bad that there's an artifact in Hell's Rebels (a more recent Adventure Path) designed so that when you die, you retain all of your memories, personality and experience upon death and can not only tangibly enjoy the afterlife, but ascend into a powerful Celestial or Fiend that still retains said memories, personality and experience.

When presented with the artifact, the best excuse Paizo can come up with as to why everyone shouldn't use the artifact was "muh cosmic balance."

What concrete proof does a commoner in D&D have about afterlife?

So, how can someone who died 200 years ago be true resurrected with their memories and personality intact?

Or is this one of the million inconsistencies between the rules and the fluff?

Because not every D&D world runs on the same rules? Fuck dying in Faerun, man. Even if you're devout and spend your life performing actual fucking miracles there's a chance you could end up in the Wall of the Faithless.

Dying in Dragonlance or Greyhawk or some shit wouldn't necessarily be so bad, but fuck Faerun. Fuck that place as hard as possible.

>the Wall
Legit horrifying.

Because we evolved to not desire death

>What concrete proof does a commoner in D&D have about afterlife?

This. Whenever OP makes this thread, he seems to disregard the fact that your standard commoner does not have an encyclopedic out-of-character knowledge of all published setting documents and rules errata.

"Religion" isn't about convenience, generally speaking - it's about acknowledgement of some metaphysical reality.

You're getting turned into raw chaos/continuing the cycle of samsara/being judged by the Almighty *regardless* of whether you believe it or not.

In 3e it's because good is not rewarded. success is. A warlord that brings about an age of darkness get to be demon royalty, a pleasant shopkeeper gets to be a streetlamp in heaven for all eternity. Most people get to be lanterns or cogs or chaos stuff or larva until some god eats you.

Why do Christian's fear death (to some extent) even though they know there's a Heaven for them after they die? It's because it's natural instinct, death will still probably hurt, and they'd still rather get some good stuff done with a loving family while they can on Earth.

Speaking as a Christian I fear death not because I doubt an aftwrlife, but because I worry I may have fucked up enough to get sent down under. Don't know bout others, that's just me.

Brother, Christ died for all your sins. Repent them and accept Christ, who has defeated Death, and fear not for the safety of your soul. The ending of this life is the start of your journey home.

Don't just have to love Christ? You're covered.

But brother Christ also said in the gospels that on the final day many would come to him saying "lord have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name done many good works? " and the lord shall say to them "depart ye wicked for I never knew thee." And they shall be cast off from his presence. To profess Christ is not enough, for faith without works is dead. Why else then did the lord give commandments if we are not to follow them brother? I know Christ is the lord our savior, and that through his atonement we can be forgiven, but I fear perhaps I shall not be worthy of absolution. I am a weak man brother, a very weak man, and I have oft succombed.

To love God is to follow his commandments and to love your fellow man. I fall short on both counts. That or I entirely misinterpreted the bible when I read it.

I have had jews, muslims, atheists, bhuddists and even satanists have my back when christians screeched at me that I was going to hell. Hell would be spending eternity with christians for all eternity.

lol

Why are christfags such cucks?

trigger warning
*tips*

We have all fallen, brothers. And knowing this, recognizing our failings and trying to improve ourselves combined with sincere repentance and faith, we shall know the glory of His grace. God knows out hearts, brothers. Let us strive to know His.

>50104050
>50104505
>50104674
>50104697
Veeky Forums made me smile today. Got some good brothers here.

>50105139
...and that one "other" brother.

In my 5e Nehwon campaign, you end up in the bleak Shadowlands chilling with Death, and there aren't any high level resurrection magicks.

The average peasant has probably never heard of other plane and thing like that.

Shit, that's almost exactly what happens in my speshul setting.

There's irrefutable evidence for the veracity Christ's Sacrifice and the legitimacy of his claim that he was, is, and will be the Son of God. Try looking up some of Billy Graham's sermons, you won't regret it.

And here I thought I was the only devout Christian to routinely browse Veeky Forums.
What's your denomination? I'm Pentecostal myself.

All people are equal in the eyes of God. To judge and condemn another mortal man is to put oneself as the equal to God. It's blasphemous to judge a sinner as if you were any better. A true, born-again Christian doesn't damn another man to hell at the top of his lungs, he guides him to heaven with a whisper.

True Resurrection uses a form of mental time travel to make a clone out of new soulstuff, instead of gathering the same particles of soulstuff that were recycled.
At that level of magic, you learn to just not think about the implications.