The 12 Towers General - "Why is the even a General?" Edition

> What is The 12 Towers?
This game is my attempt at making a Sandbox RPG board game
> Does the game NEED 12 Players to play?
Nope, works with as little as 2 players.
> TL:DR version, what is this game really?
Heavy PvP, board control, resource management
Easy version of D&D + MTG + Talisman = My game, basically
> Is your game available to buy yet?
Nope :(
> Rules?
Coming in the next post
> Page or something to follow?
facebook com /the12towers/
> Why are you posting?
Few reasons this time, for one, I'm working on building a community that's interested in the next beta version of the game, which will get the gears moving on the final boxed/kickstarted edition. Hopefully I'm not coming off as too desperate. Just getting the ball rolling on community connections. My crappy FB page is collecting dust, so if I can get some more people interested, I'd have a reason to use it, rather than talk in my head all day.

2nd reason, I've overhauled the Campaign Mode gameplay mechanics. This seemed to draw a LOT of attention to the game, so I further expanded on the idea. That image will be in a couple posts.

Current rough draft of the Rules, Campaign rules aren't added yet, still working on that section.

If you have suggestions on edits, or questions, just ask.

I'll be posting the updated board soon as well, OP image is the 2nd trash edition of the game.

Updated template for Campaign Games.

Basically this gets groups of players together, similar to D&D settings. The ending results of the game are recorded (Winner, what happened, etc etc), then documented on a Timeline. Each new game progresses the timeline by 100 years.

More details on this later on, working on fleshing out the rules for it.

Veeky Forumss favorite game that doesn't exist lol, nice to see you working
Rules look good, nice and clear. Can we see examples of cards and combat or something? Also Im assuming this isn't final artwork, what style are you going to use for the done version

Hey, I remember making fun of you like a year ago. Still keeping at it, huh?

Sure, I'll get a panel pic going in a little while to demonstrate combat and such.

Here's a base set of the new card designs. I'll chop up a few of these later on.

Yep, still going! A tiny bit closer to completion since last year, still a long way to go.

OP here, just made this guide for basic combat!

One of many, still have a lot of things to cover, but this was quite enjoyable to make. This one focuses mainly on cards and effects. I'll get a Part 2 going to show examples of game board combat.

>the incoming damage amount is subtracted from your Armor Reduction
You fuk't that up, man.

Ah crap, thanks for seeing that.

Just noticed my 2nd mistake. The damage dealt by spells is double the Power cost, not half.

The a big mechanic in the game, and it saved me a shit ton of time in development.

I remember seeing this in /bgg/, the rules interest me a lot, keep it up! I'm still keen on trying out a PnP beta if one will be available

Thanks, been working hard for a while, 3rd edition beta is right around the corner, so I can update more frequently on testing.

Also, working on another guide. If you guys like these things and they help with a better understanding of the game, I'll keep making them!

I like em, needs so detailing if these will be part of the official game. Also liked your FB page, looks pretty barren but I'll get my group buddies on it too showed them this tread earlier. Got any promo things yet? Might help with traffic

That'd be a cool mechanic though. Health Loss = Armour - Damage, treat negatives as zero.

It'd be a THAC0 throwback, get them grognard dollars.

12 players with player elimination is a fucking atrocious idea though.

You'd have to do some really fucking strange things with health to make that work.

Interesting, I'll working on something, that does sound like a fun mechanic.

Also, should have posted this earlier, while true it is player elimination, 12 Player games is more geared towards hardcore Tournament style games.

My average player count is 4, including me. My high player count game was a 4 vs 4 team match, lasted about 2 hours. Overall the game works fine with any amount of players. In the far future when/if the game takes off, I'll highly recommend that, if people want to get a 12 player match going, they ALL have to know the rules through and through.

Requesting a guide for those Event cards

i make board games too and i love critiquing rules. from what I can tell you have given it good thought and dont fall into the normal pitfalls i see devs fall into. however...

the rules seem very complex.

the all caps is hard to read but I get that its a look. you're conversational tone in the rules *really* irks me.
NOT AT ALL YOUNG FRIEND JOIN ME AS WE CONTINUE TO READ THE RULES

why is the GAMEPLAY OVERVIEW part called FAQ?

> Sandbox
this isnt a sandbox cause it has a goal
instead, market it as a game wiht primary and secondary scenarios. there should be one 'normal' way to play the game. new players dont give a FUCK about other scenarios until they have confirmed that the main scenario is cool

market it as a turn based domination game for 3-6 players. the uniqueness of '12 player game' falls on deaf ears.
no one plays wiht more an enjoys it

the ordering is also kind of off.
my suggestion:
* 1 liner pitch of game (nice pitch btw)
* objective (take control of all Active Towers on the board)
* gameplay overview(During the game, Towers will be gained, and destroyed ... treachery and deception!
* component list and quick description
* RULES SECTION
setup
turn actions
* Special rules/items/towers

> These characters' rule over a single Tower,
and its surrounding territories.
drop the '

thats a long psot of thouhgts. but i literally do this for living and am procrastinating

Thank you so much for this, I've been hoping for a while to get a solid review on the rules, I know the current version is a scrambled mess of nonsense.

Now that you mention it, I really have no idea why I went with FAQ's. I think I started writing a sample Kickstarter pitch page, then just ended up writing the full rules lol.

I'll work on dropping the conversational tone, can you give me an edit example? It sucks but I kinda just write like that, all the time, and I know it's annoying.

Working on the last (thank god) 4 sets of cards, ranged weapons.

After this, it's just a matter of printing, and hopefully setting up game nights again.