Hi Veeky Forums I'm making a silly wizard kind of dungeon, not too deadly...

Hi Veeky Forums I'm making a silly wizard kind of dungeon, not too deadly, just kinda annoying and funny for my players next week, can you give me some ideas for traps/rewards? Also traps thread

(Forgive my english, please)

heres my favourite trap a gm used for me years ago, i still shamelessly steal it as needed.

>the players enter a sloped corridor with alcoves in the wall
> as they get around halfway a spiked ball drops down at the top of the room and goes down.
>players can avoid it if they step into the alcoves, letting it pass.
>the alcoves are trapped with acid hoses
>the boulder is an illusion

That's pure evil
I love it

I once did a dungeon with one room where there were a set of tiles with symbols on them covering the floor. When placed on a tile, depending on the symbol, whatever is placed on that tile will be shunted one tile in a particular direction- and triggers that tile's shove. If two adjacent tiles have opposing directions, you're treated as standing still if one shoves you into the other. Up to 12 tiles can activate on a particular character in a round, meaning most humans would have to Dash to 'stand still' relative to the tiles.
I generally impose a magical 'no flying rule' for rooms like this.

Kinda like this? It would be very interesting to do this while in battle

here is some original ideas mixed with ideas i shamelessly stole from Veeky Forums over the years:

Reward:
>gold bars and coins. need some perception check to notice that are chocolate bars/coins wrapped in gold foil. Melts if they travel during the day if they failed perception. Can be sold for some money if not melted.

>valuable gem super glued to table

>room of chests, there is a chest with a beard in the middle somewhere, if approached it turns into a toothless mimic and just gums on the player. Doesn't actually hurt. It's just an old mimic. Other chests just contain minor inconvenience traps.

Traps:
>long hallway with boulder. Boulder is made of balsawood but enchanted with illusions to sound like one. If hits a PC, it splits open to reveal wasps. The wasps are just flies painted to look like wasps and enchanted to sound like wasps. They don't do anything.

>empty room with pressure plate. Obvious sign that points at plate that says "trap". If they step on it nothing happens. If they get off the pressure plate, X trap is sprung.

>room with 2 inches of water and a table. On table is a potted plant with roots going over the table into the water. It does nothing. It's a normal potted plant.
I just do this to fuck with people.

>hallway breaks into super happy fun slide. Turns into ice with a grease coating. Sends players barreling into something of your choosing.
I did a classic tar and feather thing straight out of the cartoons. My players loved it as much as they hated it.

>glass tiles in hallway. tiles break if stepped on, only a 6 inch hole. Meant to be an inconvenience at best. if going 5th edition D&D, disadvantage for combat

>stone face in wall with red eyes with a coin slot near it. Says "insert coin". If the PCs insert enough coins they hear a "ping". Red eyes are gems and light up more. If insert enough coins they "win the lottery" in the form of copper pieces which the stone face barfs on the player

Have some mundane lookings rooms, but some random items have sovereign glue on them or maybe door handles with sovereign glue. Just make things stick to your players until they get to wizard and his supply of universal solvent is my point. Illusions of doorways. Fairies that took up residence in some abandoned rooms causing havoc. Calzone Golems.

Here's a usefull PDF full of traps

>traps
Nigga...

My buddy made our last dungeon like a game show with a gnome wizard pulling the strings. Kind of like the trickster episode of supernatural. It was pretty high lethality though, and most of the games were luck based. Pulling random switches, spinning the wheel.of misfortune.

I enjoyed it a lot, would have preferred some skill based shit. Ultimate ninja warrior or wipeout style. Or like that old show that used to come on Nickelodeon where the kids would compete in wacky temple themed competitions.

It was probably unenjoyable because the two casters whined and bitched the whole time because they couldn't long rest and regain their spell slots.

C L A S S I C

I want to do something like a carnival game of some sorts, something a cool wacky wizard would do to entertain the kids

The wheel of misfortune could work. Or maybe a thing where the floor drops out and they all have to do unique challenges suited to their character.

> Letting players gain flight at all

There's an archived thread on suptg that's got a bunch of ideas. I believe it's called "Mr. Snappy's Fungeon.

Trap of Permanent Summon Cow. Once triggered by entering its sensory range, a cow is summoned. Its just a cow. If the cow is not removed from the area, another cow is summoned thirty seconds later. If the players just abandon the cow, eventually the dungeon will be overrun with cows and a stampede possible.
A library full of children's books. When openeds, the book triggers an illusion that plays through the book.
A combination locker room/bathroom. The shower area has lots of soap. Its very slippery soap.
A colony of rather large intelligent and talking spiders. They offer warm clothing and fashion advice.
Two kegs of beer. Its not very good beer, but does offer some excellent hallucinogenic experiences.

In the dungeon are an R2D2 and C3PO -like duo who are former assistants of the wizard: they are a doppleganger and a mimic who are buddies.

They know the dungeon exactly, every crevice and secret. They're not really evil (unless you want them to be) and have whatever personalities you think work well together. They will follow, observe, experiment with, and possibly screw-over the party in order to preserve their former master's greatest secrets.

Genius.
Know that I'm doing this in my next dungeon.

There's a reverse gravity spell hexagram on the floor beneath some discarded books and the like (the wizard forgot to erase it). When moving through the room, the first character walking has to make a spot check or else he'll accidentally step on and activate it.

Activation simply makes you fall to the roof and you'll have to walk on the roof for the next 24 hours (make it slightly hard to dispel). Not that bad really, except on the same floor there's also a colony of angry and magically mutated bats (descendants of the mage's familiar "Batty Rat") that will prefer attacking the person moving on the roof.

In the Wizard's alchemy lab, a magical broom has gotten stuck in a cupboard. The players can hear it sweeping inside the cupboard. If released the broom will start sweeping around the room, knocking over volatile alchemicals. Roll a 1d6

1: An acid is knocked over. In 1d3 rounds it'll burn through a table leg, causing a chain reaction of 3d6 rolls for what happens next.
2: Something explodes.
3: A "Harmless" liquid is spilled on the floor.
4: A pair of alchemicals mix, causing a small stinking cloud
5: A "Non-dangerous" liquid is spilled. If mixed with the "harmless" liquid, a goo monster is formed
6: A fire started. If it is not put out it will spread and endanger the rest of the dungeon.

as long as the broom is allowed to move freely (and it's quite fast and hard to catch), keep rolling for more results.

In one of the wizard's laboratories (he has several. Most are sealed off hazard zones with monsters in them) there's an automated assistant golem. Unfortunately it's hearing has deteriorated to the point it can't distinguish between master and guests, and it will also mishear everything you say (to it or to each other) to devastating effect.

Struggling to find sleep during the night, the wizard enchanted his former bedroom with a darkness spell that activates when you go to bed. At some point he replaced his bed with a smaller one though, and now the spell just activates when you are "sort of close" to the bed. The spell covers the whole room in total darkness, creating a hazard for your toes as you'll stub them on all the clutter lying around. It also lets the monster under the bed know its hunting time.

The wizard was a great believer in moving on and rising above your former mistakes. That's why he kept building his tower higher and higher while abandoning the old hazard zones that used to be his old facilities. Finding stairs to be boringly mundane though, he decided to replace them with levitation sigils that let's you rise to the next floor (incidentally, this also helped keeping the monster population from creeping up to the next floor).

Unfortunately the sigils were on the old floor, and was as such poorly (in fact: not at all!) maintained. Once you step on them you will rise upwards at snail's pace, and there's no way to stop the levitation before you've reached the next floor.

Halfway up, the players might notice that man-eating plants are growing in the walls.

One of the few seemingly safe rooms is the kitchen, because the wizard sealed it against vermin and this seal also works against monsters. This would make it the perfect resting spot (you can even cook your rations here!), except there's a small problem:

Tired of doing the dishes, the wizard created a new species of fungi that would automatically eat the leftovers on the plates. The experiment was a huge success! So huge in fact, that the fungi won't just eat leftovers, but also everything else in the room, starting with the adventurer's rations, then the leather they are wearing and then finally the adventurers themselves (the eating process is slow and allows three checks to notice. First a very difficult one to notice the fungi eating their packed away rations, then a sort of difficult one noticing the fungi chewing on their leathers and finally a easy one to notice you got fungi growing all over you and dealing acidic damage to you).

Because his wizardly tower was becoming a bit of an health hazard (with all the dangerous spell materials and magic abominations lying about), the wizard started having trouble with supplies. Now, conjure food usually takes care of this problem, but the wizard was particularly of one restaurant's special dumplings, so he arranged for a teleportation circle to be contected to the restaurant and then payed them handsomely upfront to deliver him his weekly dumplings through the circle. This was accomplished by simply placing the dumplings on the small circle.

Unfortunately the wizard at some point stopped removing the dumpling on his end, and the teleportation room quickly filled up with dumplings. If an adventurer opens the door carelessly they'll now unleash a veritable dumpling avalanche and get buried alive by old moldy dumplings.

the dumpling avalanche also releases poisonous spores that when enhaled will cause stomach ache and diarrhea.