EDH/Commander General

Weak enough, will a cool enough niche, that they deserve Partner edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-jews-require-more-taxes/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/490438-toshiro-umezawa
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-and-her-hydra-friends/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I need some Old Testament style decks.

Favorite looking set for basic lands?

Just picked up a bunch of Urza's Saga lands. I'd never seen them before but they look amazing.

Do you match your lands, or just toss whatever together?

>or just toss whatever together

Always different arts for me

In modern I run 1 of each art of path to exile

r8 my deck /edh/
Anything I should add/remove?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-jews-require-more-taxes/

>Nebuchadnezzer Old Testament deck
>angels
>leviathans
>WRATH OF GOD
>things like telepathy to abuse nebs ability
>play politically, punishing the "sinners"
>tons of anti black color hate cards
>the new blue and white undaunted spells for the passover and the flood
>pic related

Oh man, I don't even like the bible that much, but that sounds like a fucking awesome deck. Is there a card that turns things into pillars of salt?

forgot pic.

> Is there a card that turns things into pillars of salt?

Counterspells
DEN

Also, Chad is UB, not esper

I use lands that compliment the general/colour identity of the deck.

So for example, in a Gruul deck I'll use reddish forests and greenish mountains. Pic related.

>chad is UB
Shit, I'm retarded. not being able to run all those sweet blue white wraths is a bummer. atleast you can take better advantage of his ability though

I try to match lands. I really like a lot of the Theros lands but I had bailed out for a while before Theros saw play. Right now I try to use full arts for my two decks but I'm gonna run the 2016 precon lands in Atraxa.

Building creatureless black control with either shauku or yukora at the lead.

The question is, what are some staples outside of coffers and whatnot. I'm looking for spicy control that benefits highly off of me having no creatures. Lethal vapors style.

Also, the urge to run crypt ghast or gray merch is rising, please convince me to stay the virgin route of creatureless.

Not Toshiro at the lead? Seems he'd fuel your spells.

New art for Carbonize or pic related

WHAT IS THE ABSOLUTE ANGRIEST DECK I COULD MAKE
I'M VERY ANGRY AND WANT TO EXPRESS MY RAGE THROUGH A TRADING CARD GAME

You mean aside from the obvious?

I'M NOT JUST TALKING MY COMMANDER, I MEAN THE FULL 9 YARDS
I REEEEALY WANT MY SHIT STACK OF AN OPPONENT TO KNOW THAT I'M PISSED
hey thanks man

Interesting, although I feel as if he isn't flashy enough. I'll consider it though. I almost feel as if the deck can run an assortment of mono B commanders, I like maga, traitor to mortals too

Well I'm going to bed so you can check out the primer on Salvation and see if the archetype interests you

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/490438-toshiro-umezawa

Obv he runs creatures, I suppose you could consider running fat equipment like Argentum Armor and Batterskull to try and finish your plate instead.

Never noticed, but I like how aside from haste, since its a keyword, its abilities are listed in the same order as its colors

Volrath + Hatred for overkill in a big black deck

Koskun Falls for good old fashioned colour pie fuckery.

Also Contamination, of course.

Ask not for what you can do for the Lion. But how you may die for him.

For he haveth two cards in his hand and you are not his favorite amongst the players.

best 3/3 beast token?

>tfw casual scum
>tfw you will never Partner Brothers Yamizaki in a shitty EDH deck

Want to build a saproling deck with pic related. How much of a madman am I?

Any hidden gems beside the obvious cards like Saproling Symbiosis, Verdant Force or Doubling Season?

Ps: don't mention the 'infinite combo', as it's quite a dumb one.

Beastmaster Ascension
Muraganda Petroglyphs
Sight of the Scalelords if you are running anthem effects
Overwhelming Stampede
Echoing Courage if you want to be a hipster

I dunno, the deck builds itself honestly.

Ah, the pains of deckbuilding, and having access to 4 colours makes it only worse. I'm already not running a bunch of colour staples in the deck, either because they're too expensive for me or because their function is performed already by something else that fits the theme more.

And still I'm 3 cards over 100...

Anyone care for some input? It's Atraxa +1/+1 matters deck with some mild other counters abusing atraxa:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-and-her-hydra-friends/

I'm currently thinking maybe cutting one of the following:
>Lux Cannon. I have quite a few removal spells already
>A removal spell, since Lux cannon is reusable and abusable with atraxa's proliferate.
>Archmage ascension. It's an abusable card as heck, and a possible wincon, but it's a bit thrown in there and will most likely get it, atraxa, or my life total removed very quickly before it triggers.
>Elite Scaleguard. He's got a great effect, but there's other things that work really well too, and a lot of my meta has ways of dealing with attacking creatures other than blocking.
>Magistrate's Scepter. Something similar to archmage ascension, but is perhaps a softer wincon but on a shorter fuse.
>Hooded hydra or hero's bane. After cutting a few other hydras I'll probably have to rename the deck anyway, but one of these might still have to go.

I might also still want to add the green god to give shit trample, but that would make cutting things even harder.

I would let you use them as your partner commander as long as your deck is samurai based.

>tfw when closet weeb
>tfw completely missed the Kamigawa block because didn't play Magic at the time.

maaaan....I really missed out on that one. I still have a desire to make a samurai deck just for funzies but I don't know what's good. Bushido honestly seems a little weak compared to some block abilities nowadays but still fits the theme perfectly.

I don't really think that Hydra synergizes well with Atraxa, Hydras works better on a mostly green ramp deck, since Atraxa can only give them a single +1/+1 at the end of your turn.

I am also going to build an Atraxa deck, but I am trying to focus more on going wide and use stuff that gives +1/+1 counters to all creatures(Mikaeus, Ajani, Nissa) or artifacts with charge counters.

She's amazing in Kazuul.
And i really like her art, even though i'm not usually a fan of closeup. But she got character.
I'd like to see her artist get back in the game.
Probably Takeno i guess. Too bad Kentaro can't be used as a multicolored general, he would be perfect.

Islands and plains from Urza saga are wonderful.

What are some radical 4color combos? I've never seen any considering 4colors were never used until now

5 color commanders exist, so it's not like there will be something new without using the new commanders, especially Breya, she is certainly combo material.

My Trostani deck is almost 100% filled with Full art plains and forests.

Other than that I stick to ravnica/theros basics, they just look so good.

if i'm not sure what to cut, i just cut boardwipes and instant removal to make the deck 99 and then play a few games with it. in a few games you'll have an idea of what card you want to cut (protip: it's the one that makes you groan when you draw it)

duneblast doesn't seem that great to me anyway so i'd cut that first

Tainted aether

What's the combo?

Gaea's Cradle is worth more than most duals. Why is proxying them fine due to cost, but not cradle.

The new Guay and Kev Walker lands and some of my favorites.

He's talking about how some people think that casual decks can't have any expensive cards in then and need to be generally bad, otherwise they label them as competitive. Have you really never experienced that? Welcome to the format, son.

Lorwyn lands and Zendikar lands have been my favorites. But it would look weird with non full at lands sitting next to full art ones, so my decks use only original Zendikar lands.

I'm a big fan of the Tarkir lands

Where's the best place for Chinese fakes? Also, how do they do flip cards?

Kamigawa's Mountain's and Islands are very beautiful; aside form that the Jeskai lands from Khans of Tarkir are the nicest looking lands.

A format that people created because they wanted to get away from 500$ decks and net-decking, instead focusing on unconventional strategies and unusual cards.

>muh staples
>muh stax
>muh 1300 identical Meren decks on TappedOut

What's your reversal card /EDH/?

Mine is Wild Ricochet

Commandeer, or almost anything when I attack with kaalia.

Probably Rally of the Ancestors or Patriarch's Bidding.
My deck dosen't look graveyard based until everyone comes back and OKHOs the board.

Commander has been already long enough that everything has been done. The format only changes when new Legendary Creatures come out in weird colors or have dumb abilities.

>oh no! People enjoy a game in a different way than I do!

Saskia is honestly the best samurai commander.

She gives you access to all the colors samurai are in, and with bushido they want to be attacking anyway. With Godo, you are able to have multiple combat phases a turn. Some people forget that Godo untaps all samurai as part of his extra combat effect.

Which of the new four decks has the best flip value? Greek fellas or esper + red?

>fumiko
>weak
Fumiko is closet strong as hell built right
not like s tier or anything but she's really solid
Konda and Godo are solid as well (although, admittedly, it's kinda hard to justify running Konda over Avacyn from a powerlevel perspective)
I've heard Toshiro is no slouch but I've never played with one

Found the shitter.

Are you actually trying to argue that decks with non shit mana bases and a decent strategy can't be fun?

fun is subjective this is a bad discussion

different people find fun in different places in edh, there's no sense in imposing your idea of fun how someone else finds theirs

Buying dual lands is not a "decent strategy".

It is a way of creating advantage against players who won't spend 200$ on a 2.5 by 3.5 inches piece of cardboard. It involves no skill or cunning. Sure the advantage of a single dual land is small against a single tapland, but those things add up.

You could have the identical deck (the same fun "decent strategy"), but just because one player spends literally 2000 times more on, he gets a huge advantage in a format where creativity should be one of the main drawing points.

You can say this about anything, even griefers who keeps shitting up everything.

Your fun is subjective but the groups fun is intersubjective, which means sometimes you need to compromise your subjective fun to ensure the group's fun.

>getting away from $500 decks and net decking

Considering the format was created by judges who wanted wild and splashy games, I REALLY doubt the decks were cheap.

Judges are usually the most invested in mtg and have huge collections. That includes those "tryhard" expensive cards.

You're just bitter because you can't afford it yourself.

So, with the new commander decks coming out. I thought it would be fun to make a planeswalker deck with ruwb.
Now, I know what you're thinking "use Atraxa" but I don't really like green and don't have many green planeswalkers anyway. I also have lots of artifacts.
My question is, what cards would you recommend and if you don't like Breya, what partners would you suggest?

yeah, but I don't find fun in spending 200$ on a piece of paper while someone else might

just because their deck is more competitive/higher powerlevel doesn't mean it's more fun

I make tons of deliberately suboptimal power choices, it depends a lot on the group you're playing with. i don't run infinite combos, I stay away from tutors, I don't run any obscenely expensive stuff

if you have one guy powergaming a 4000$ hermit druid combo deck while everyone else is running kangee bird tribal or the equivalent you need to have a talk with that guy

or if you're the guy running the mannichi fevered dream deck in the cutthroat imperial animar playgroup, perhaps you should reevaluate your position

this is a good amendment to the fun is subjective point

generally speaking, the most fun will be had by all players when the average power level at the table isn't super high variance

It does fall in the non shitty mana base category which you conveniently glossed over.

Someone having a consistent mana base or some expensive cards does not make it any less of a fun deck.

If I crack an expensive card in a $3 pack, am I allowed to play it?

>Someone having a consistent mana base or some expensive cards does not make it any less of a fun deck.
subjective

I find consistency really boring
Do you enjoy tutoring for the same combo every game
I don't, but that's me
I hope to win every game in a different manner than the last

not the guy you replied to, by the way

tangentially, there is an OBSCENE amount of nonbasic land hate if this is actually a problem for you

>Oh, nice aetherflux reservoir m8

If not using Breya as a Jacetice league commander, I'd probably use Ludevic or Kraum and Tymna, just for the card advantage.

I'm a judge, and most other judges I know aren't tryhards, they are just collectors that wants to show off their collection. One of those ways is to play commander, where you can put a bunch of shitty gimmick cards that no one uses and everyone gets to show off their cool cards.

Winning as fast as possible without letting others show off their cool stuff was never the intention of the format. But tryhards wants to win at everything, and since a lot of them aren't decent players enough to win more popular formats, they started tryharding commander, it happens with every format in mtg, pauper for example, was supposed to be a cheap format, but a lot of the pauper cards became rather expensive because everyone is running the exact same pauper decks.

I wonder what card has the most uses of the word "target" in magic history

Why not do an artifact planeswalker themed deck? Tezzeret, Daretti, Dack, Venser, Nahiri.

Playing expensive cards doesn't mean you are tryharding though.

I play duals and fetches in my gimmick deck based on clerics and little girls, as well as a few judge foil swords. It's absolute garbage, but the deck "value" is still around $800

These are gonna be in the deck. I was just asking for alternative commanders because some people thing Breya is bad

She's not super strong and she's limited to mono-red colours as a general, which hurts a lot. Giving the "taunt" archetype more colours in EDH would be great.

Here's my vote for "needs partner and wouldn't be broken".

Well then congratulations, you are the 1%.

I agree that the value of the deck doesn't necessarily impact the power of the deck. But that wasn't really the point of the other poster, he meant people that simply netdecks the best deck possible just to win as if it was a competitive format.

>playing in a low powered meta
>pull out my fun Doran deck that revolves around getting Evershrike out and enchanted
>It has dual lands in it
>other guy gets butt blasted when he sees the duals with passive aggressive comments
>it gets beaten as it often does
>hear the guy brag to his friends that he beat the overpowered deck with all the expensive dual lands
>he had a masterpiece sword of fire and ice in his deck that was more expensive than any of my duals

You can't even argue with retards like this. They won't stop being retarded.

Urza's incubator is

As Urza's Incubator enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Creature spells of the chosen type cost 2 less to cast.

The casting cost is for me or for all players?

the full card bucket island is probably my favorite land

The point was a straw man argument that originated all the way here He was basically talking out of his ass.

I think there might be room between non-shitty mana base, and playing every legal ABUR dual.

They just need to release more creatures with partner, I hope they plan for more in 2017, and try to not powercreep the shit out of it.

>I don't really like green
[reeeeeing intensifies]

I'm not apologizing

All. If it states (you), it means just you, otherwise it always affects everyone.
There's also differences in some cards, such as with Lifeline, which is exact opposite in current wording of what it actually does. tl;dr, Lifeline is symmetric effect even though the wording seems to imply opposite.

Any Uril/Enchantress players here? I'm in the process of upgrading my Dragonlord Dromoka Enchantress deck into Uril.

Is there any Auras that are must-haves in Red? Or is it more like I'm splashing red for removal and utility while G/W are minaly responsible for Auras?

>He was basically talking out of his ass.
Well, he was, but his point wasn't very far. The idea was that you wouldn't need to spend $500 on cards, since you should just use rare/cool cards from your own collection. And you wouldn't netdeck, since you would make your deck based on the rarest and coolest cards you own that either aren't good enough for competitive, or it is too rare to own 4 of them to build an usual deck.

Decks don't need to be expensive to be tryhard either.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/

I know, this is why I said
> the value of the deck doesn't necessarily impact the power of the deck.

>since you should just use rare/cool cards from your own collection.

I completely disagree with this. I don't draft or do FNMs anymore, so I just buy singles if cards I want. This is way less expensive than buying packs and boxes hoping to find a card I want. I also don't netdeck.

The whole "just use cards that you have" argument favors people with bigger collections or people who just get lucky cracking packs. It's just straight up a bad policy to play by in my opinion.

Man, trying to finish off someone but all you can do is widdle 'em down AND they have a trading post? Kill myself

Well, there are some obvious ones, like the lorwyn dual colored auras, and madcap skills.

But you can add Mayael Aria as a wincon, and you use cards like Burning Anger as a way to win by commander damage.

For lands, you can add Contested Cliffs, Kessig Wolf-run, and that boros land that gives double-strike.

I'd look into umbras so Uril can survive a board wipe

I'm gonna def add those lands and Madcap Skills. I always kinda wanted to make a deck with Aria as a wincon, so that also sounds hella fun.

Is trading post pretty good in most situations?

The fuck negro? I can get not liking tutors because it makes your deck run similarly every time, but these are lands that do nothing but produce mana. So the only thing I can think of when you say "consistent" is actually having access to your colors and not being mana fucked.

Are you legitimately telling me that being mana screwed is more fun than being able to play your cards?

Is arachnogenisis as good as it looks? Token generation stapled to a fog seems amazing.