Says the Blood Ravens lost 5 companies at Kaurava

>Says the Blood Ravens lost 5 companies at Kaurava.

>Cyrus states Borael led 3 companies to their demise.
>Cyrus is living proof that not all the companies where wiped out.

I think it's cool WD is acknowledging the Blood Ravens but they need to make their homework better.

Other urls found in this thread:

forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/search/searchResults.jsp?qty=com.gamesworkshop.endeca.EndecaUserContext@756c8bd&sorting=&view=&Ntt=masterclass
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>White dwarf pic related.

WD says wrong shit all the time, I don't know why you morons keep citing them. They literally said vanilla tactical marines could have HFs in 2013.

Who the fuck goes through those steps when you can just use an airbrush or quickshade?

>vanilla tactical marines could have HFs in 2013.
what's HF?

Oh well at least I liked the bit where they imply the Blood ravens are succesors of the thousand sons.
Havent bought the magazine yet because in my country the mail its slow as fuck but, is the article worth keeping? I have the original WD with the Blood Ravens index astartes article.

Also does it come with a thousand sons painting guide?

>who the fuck does layering and highlights when you could just basecoat and dip

You would still need to do all these steps even with an airbrush if you wanted a more complicated looking paintjob. What you're suggesting gets you to step 2 at best.

>he doesn't know what quickshade is

Heavy Flamer. When Space Marines got new plastics in September 2013, White Dwarf talked about mixing Sternguard parts into your Tactical Squads to make them look more special, but they forgot that you can't put Heavy Flamers on Tacticals. Blood Angels didn't get HFs on tacs until 2015 or 2016 and they're the ONLY marine army that gets that.

I'm also planning on picking up this issue of WD, and I usually don't buy WD. I forgot all the exact reasons but I remember it had some interesting stuff I wanted to take a closer look at, like blending cloaks and painting bases.

The issue does talk about the Prospero Thousand Sons if that's what you're asking. It talks about all the Prospero stuff including painting. It doesn't talk about the 40K CSM blue and gold Thousand Sons. Shitty store in my area didn't have it in yet either.

Based Duncan?

>who the fuck does this guy think he is?

citadel minis usually look very flat, they dont do highlights or take advantage of lights coming from a certian part of the model, like pic related.

I know what quickshade is you dumb fuck why do you think I called it dip. A dipped model will never look as clean as a layered one, even if you gloss it before you dip, which you're probably too stupid to since you probably don't know what a pin wash is either.

he's a moron who thinks quickshade looks good and you can call a model good from just an airbrush basecoat and dip

quickshade is for newbs.

also not everyone has air guns and some people really want their models to look awesome and not like they where done with noob steps and flat looking.

>talks shit about 'Eavy Metal mini
>posts a worse looking paintjob

better secure it in advance, warhammer total war players want to get it because of the special character there.
I plan on getting the mag and then selling off Grombandil for a cheap price.

Yes I am interested on the thousand sons painting recipee because I cant paint my blood ravens like in OP picture. Since Blood Red its gone for good and there isnt a brownish red like that anymoe NOWHERE in the market.

My only option it's to imitate eavy metals prospero thousand sons color scheme.

Also the word bearers scheme for pre-heresy it's a good alternative.

I was refering to duncans, you dolt.

Mabye I am just paranoid as shit since they ruined fantasy, but the very last sentence in the last paragraph with the skull near it sent chills down my back.

Resize your images. 6MB out of a jpg is some kind of new level of retardism.

Though it does give us a marvellous HD look at the topography his paint (thinned with Milliput?) has given previously flat surfaces.

the time of ending... they better keep their end times bullshit away from 40k.

At least WHFB still lives in the blood bowl, for me AOS it's the crazy fantasy of an Arcaon that got a big ass hit on its head by Grimgor.

Quickshade is for people who want a 2,000 points army that doesn't take a year to make.

I usually use a lot of layers.

I understand, well I would rather take years to complete a really well painted and converted army than to just have it ready to play.
Personally ofc.

I'd be afraid to transport and play with models I spent that much time working on. Dipping is a perfectly fine technique especially if you're going to be touching your models often. I've done dipping and layering and although layering looks better, it takes about 10 times as long and maybe looks twice as good as a my dipped models. Half the guys I see at the store don't even paint their models so having a painted, dipped, and based army already makes me look like a superstar.

A lot of thin layers build up to a smooth and even surface.

A lot of thick layers build up to a bumpy, uneven and pock.marked surface.

That says half their strength
Not five full companies
A task force is usually made up of full battle companies and squads from others - e.g. A squad or 2 of terminators from 1st a few squads from the assault company and so on
So 2 battle companies and 30 odd squads from the other 8 companies
And that's assuming they were at full strength and assume completed loss
If they had 60% of the chapter there they could lose ~85% and that would mean 50% of the chapter

Thats why you use a two step varnish, first gloss for protection, and a dull to take down the shine.
And when you take this hobby serious enough, you buy a fucking transport case. If you spend hundreds, maybe thousands of $ on models, paints and supplies, you sure as hell can afford a descent army case!

Actually liking the new white dwarf, find myself reading through most of the articles even the shit id normally not be interested in.

That guys blood ravens army was quite spectacular.

I really liked the basing tutorials, I got some good tips and lots of motivation to finally properly base my Eldar.

Okay so... what's the difference between DIP and WASH? I know WASH and INK are different because of the strength of the pigments, but does DIP count as something inbetween or what?

I just hand paint on the shading effects, it allows for greater control and the ability to slam the ABORT button and try something else if you hate the result. Layering I know is best, but I've used washes to great effect in the past.

3 companies cant be half their strenght. People just assume that they lost half their company which would mean half their strenght.

When does Cyrus state only 3 companies were lost?

The last quarter of the 41st millennium - i.e. the 'present' of the setting - has been officially called the Time of Ending for 8 years and 3 editions now.

Chaos Rising, in his traitor speech.

>For once, be quiet and listen.
>The chapter expects us to be perfect, obedient instruments of its leaders. Leaders who are barely worthy of life, much less respect.
>Captain Boreale, who walked three companies into the slaughter of Kaurava.
>Captain Angelos, who lapped up the credit for our victories against the Tyranids.
>Even Captain Thule, who chose to sulk on Calderis after the Kronus debacle.
>These are our leaders? The people we are supposed to obey without question?
>No - these are cowards and imbeciles. Every bit as worthless as Governor Vandis and all the others.
>These incompetents learned nothing from my teachings. I owe them no loyalty.

All five companies being wiped out is just something everyone assumes, despite it being outright contradicted. And of course it's not even the biggest myth about Soulstorm's canon ending.

>And of course it's not even the biggest myth about Soulstorm's canon ending.

And what would that be? I'm going to take a guess that it's everyone thinks IG won.

Yeah, that's it. Some say Cyrus confirmed it in the same conversation where he revealed the Blood Ravens lost, others that Relic made an official statement, or even that GW themselves descended from on high to proclaim it so. But none of it's true.

Dipping is using polyurethane furniture varnish as a wash. It's called dipping because people literally just dip the model into the varnish and shake off the excess. The best way to do it is to brush it on for better control. People treat it like a newbie tier technique but it's really easy to cock it up if you don't do it correctly. Expect to get shit on by pro painters around here though because you didn't spend 6 hours painting each of your space marines.

screencapped this for future instances.

its most likely because everyone loved Vance mother fucking stubbs. And I mean everyone, just how could you say no to that badasness? He took a sector and a regiment that was a piece of shit and turned it into polished gold!

I always use thinned paints if that is what you ask. How about you show some of your models? show us an example.

So what is the soulstorm canon ending?

The Squats won.

I actually found the "dip" to be the preferable technique of the two. Not only do you save time when doing massed troop choices, which is the only reason you should ever do a wash by the way, it also looked better by default.

>Which is the only reason you should ever do a DIP by the way,

Fuck me I'm getting tired!

you can get the codes for Grombandil for free if you visit GW and ask the Staff

I'm just hoping they bring back the transfer sheets for them so I can grab a few. When I finally scraped together the spare cash I found out Forgeworld discontinued them.

>I found out Forgeworld discontinued them.
What?! they did?
Dayium! I am glad I got them when I could!

Hopefully they'll bring em back with DOW 3. I do understand Forgeworld it's sort of jealous of the Blood ravens success over their own chapters.

They would sell more than their obscure minotaurs and red scorpions that's for sure.

there are no GW in my country.

What third world wasteland do you reside in?

They should adopt the Star Krakens, Emperor's Nightmares, and Blood Jaguars. They get love because of their stylings, even if the names are a bit on the nose for GW's canon. Still less stylized than the Space Wolves.

Although I do like the Red Scorpions.

Veeky Forums makes a lot of great chapters, but the problem is no one outside of Veeky Forums knows about them. The Blood Jaguars should definitely get more exposure though. They look amazing and their lore is pretty good too.

What ever happened to that warband we were working on a while back? I think they were an IW/IF hybrid called The Forged? Those were fun threads.

Blood Jaguars are just Aztec Blood Angels. Which, don't get me wrong, is a great take on them.

Haven't heard of The Forged, though.

The Blood Jaguars, Emperor's Nightmares, and Star Krakens, and those later chapters are more recent Veeky Forums projects. Well, Hua Yuan Exterminators are also pretty new and neat as well. They branched out of the Angry/Pretty/Silly/Reasonable Marines of old/tg/, a serious take on the silliness of old with custom chapters. Surprisingly I think they turned out pretty well.

Of course, sometimes these clashing ideologies end up dragging each other down. I remember we rolled up a Dark Angels successor whose homeworld was a hive city terrain but it was a dead world. Chapter hated mutants, and we had a blurb about shit like werewolves and mutants stalking these dead cities hunting monsters like the Witcher or some shit. It was going well on it's way towards Witch Hunter pulp horror marines, but someone made a joke about drivebys since they preferred bolt pistols and armored companies, and basically every other aspect of the chapter was ignored in favor of making nigger jokes.

Thread didn't last two threads after that, seems like it sucked all the air out of the concept when your thread is spammed with niggers niggers niggers.

>Fully half the Chapter's strength

Maybe the Chapter was only at 6 companies at the onset of the Kronus Campaign, and Boreale's three were actually half of the remaining chapter strength?

That would make sense - the chapter had been doing some fighting under Thule and Angelos, and must have taken some losses.

True, not all Chapters start off at 10 companies and 1000 marines right off the bat in every instance and occasion. Many need to recover losses and for a fleet-based chapter like the Blood Ravens who lost their homeworld, new recruits might be harder to come by.

Well, they did have the Aurelia subsector, but for some reason they were only recruiting from Calderis and Typhon Primaris - Thaddeus so far is the only recruit from Meridian. And both of the former planets had feral Ork incursions and then later Tyranids, and Meridian had a lot of cult activity.

So recruiting would be going slowly and require some vigilance, and you're losing a lot of marines to various campaigns and accidents - at least some marines must have died on the Judgement of Carrion and Aurelia. And then after you're down to only a few companies, stuck focusing on rebuilding, there's a Tyranid invasion and then a civil war.

It doesnt add up. You would be implying that absolutely no one returned from Kaurava and that contradicts Cyrus being in DOW 2.
Furthermore DOW 2 has 4th company, 3th company and a bunch of guys from the 1st, it doesnt add up where the guys from retribution are coming up.

Further more in SS it specifies that Boreale is in command of 5 companies, not 3.
Easiest thing to explain here is that people outside the chapter believe they just lost 5 companies by the simple fact that the campaign didnt do well.

Boreale is in command of five companies, but how many did he lose? Two companies worth of marines could have survived, if there was one more waiting back home.

And there was likely some serious rebuilding between the events of DoW2 and Retri - it's just at the time of Karuva the chapter was at 6 companies. Even if you're skeptical on that, 1st, 3rd and 4th are only three companies - maybe those are the only ones surviving, and they're still building back to codex-approved numbers.

>maybe those are the only ones surviving
then what are Kyrass and his followers?
Where is the omnis Arcanum?
Everything points out that there where more Blood Ravens outside of Aurelia at the time of retribution.

Boreale lost three companies, none of those where 3rd and 4rth which means you have at least 4 intact companies.

Also Kaurava supposedly happened at the same time of Dark crusade, Thule took 5 companies - if I am not mistaken - none of those where 3rd company which means the chapter would have to be between 8 to 7 active companies after Kaurava.

Maybe Cyrus is a fucking liar?

unlikely.

Why not? When they go corrupted, there's no guarantee they'll tell the truth.

why would he lie about the very reason of why he went chaos? He was really angry about it even in DOW II vanilla. Perhaps he exaggerated on Gabriel and Thule but why would he reduce the numbers of the chapters loss when in his position it would had been more obvious for him to exagerate them.

I'm a pleb and literally dip everything although I do it with a brush and use makeup applicators to keep it from pooling. Because the dip darkens the colors, not dipping guys makes them stand out. Also I really don't like the aesthetic of edge highlighting. I'd rather have a slightly muted look than extreme higlights everywhere.

You're just being paranoid. 40k has been in the time of ending since 5e.

>implying boreale isn't in deep cover creating the stronghold of borealum, and cyrus is mad jealous because he got kicked out of the treehouse, the borealehouse

There's no GW in Hawaii either but the LGS's are great so why would I want one.

the burning of prospero painting guide thing sucks ass. Shows the most rudimentary way to show how to paint for literally noobs. Just add this paint, this shade and ready.... such a dissapointment.

>Shows the most rudimentary way to show how to paint for literally noobs
that's kinda who they made it for

why cant they make masterclass shit for advanced painters?

forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/search/searchResults.jsp?qty=com.gamesworkshop.endeca.EndecaUserContext@756c8bd&sorting=&view=&Ntt=masterclass

Because if you can't find them, you're not worthy of using them.

which White Dwarf is this

because it's the intro kit so you'll get the shit painters, go to HH masterclass sessions if you're that elitist

Throne, user. Do you have some issues you need to work out?

What would I use to dip orks? Shade wise

spoiler alert: I also paint with thick paint for basecoats. You're doing something wrong if you paint thin layers and your shit looks like that.

Nice. How'd you do that, btw?

>ugly metallic paint works
>forgeworld
>good piainting

Bitch give me a break.

I am going to blame the old citadel paints being too old. My remaining blood red it's thick as fuck.

Because the stuff that I painted with vallejo turned out pretty different. Then again I still need to improve on the illuminations on armor.
Say what red colors did you used for your model?

Obvs they were gifted some marines by another chapter.

Its a question on what you want to achieve with your model. A dip, as we discussed, is great for ground work. Id hate to see that poor sod who needs to paint through hundreds of gaunts go get through his army. This way, you can achieve a good enough look with minimum amount of work. And the overall look on the field will look great as you get a good looking force as a whole.

>I don't like the esthetic of edge highlight

So you don't like real life then I take it? The edge highlight is there to give you that extreme angle, when the light source hits the most. Think of looking at a open door when the sun hits it. You have the dark wide area of where the sun doesn't hit, you have your lighter tones of where the sun is shining, and then you actually have your edge highlight right in front of you, right on the edge where the two surfaces meets one another. Sure, there are always people overdoing it, but I want to believe we all strive to achieve some form of realism to our models. We create depth, we create highlights, and we use the edge to increase the realism further if used properly.

Well I .. .I dipped, as the subject of the post tell. You paint basic colors (fire red primer from the army painter, turquois scales from GW and bone teeth with grey fangs), dip and done. They clocked in at about 6 min/model excluding drying time.

0/10, here's your (you).

I can't ever make my edge highlights look clean and appealing, so I just gave up on doing them. I also can't get eyes to look consistantly good, so I don't do those either (actually I play Salamanders so my guys have glowing red eyes which is easy enough to paint). A base coat and a dip for shading works for me. My paint jobs would get me laughed out of a WIP thread, but I'm just trying to get decent looking models on the table that I can live with. Accepting the limitations of my painting abilities has really made working on my models far more enjoyable.
Minwax Polyshade Tudor Satin is what I dip with. Or Army Painter Strong Tone but they charge 3 times as much for the same shit.

Nigger, squats aren't real and never have been NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Why would you gloss before you dip? Gloss with what? Varnish?

Aren't blood ravens eldar loving artefact stealing vidya heretics? What dey do in canon?

Spell better than you.

Is this how fanboys retort in 2016?
What happened?