Futuristic Biopunk worldbuilding thread

We've had plenty of steampunk threads, many cyberpunk threads and more than a few Dieselpunk threads, but what about a Biopunk thread?

What would a civilization like that look like, especially if it was a space faring one? Would it be more a blend of Cyberpunk and Biopunk?

Ill drop a couple puctures i have to start off.

More just a space creature, but you get the idea.

>Futuristic Biopunk
everyone is modded
furry-people, fantasy-people (sharp ears and all that), just upgraded people with evolutionary bugs patched
Thos that are wackyshit modded suffer from health problems in a similar way inbred bulldogs do

I dig the exo suits, i could definatly see a blend of tech in the hood and a simple brain controlling the suit, keeping your temp within acceptable range, waste processing, all that.

Couldnt see something like bio weapons along the lines of projectiles being very effective. A poison spur on the hand/glove sure, but something like even a pistol anologue would be real difficult.

Would probably lend itself to everyone going in for the body mods early in life, teenagers and stuff like with body piercing now, then going back to normal later on.

Folks going in for the real crazy stuff would have a bitch of a time readjusting though i bet

i now want an octopus backpack.

bumb

cool thread, bumping it

I have some serious contributions to make, but right now I'm on REST

Whats a good system to run Biopunk that isn't Gurps?

Alternativley, what would a Biopunk system look like mechanics wise?

Ive always loved bioships and the idea of large spacegoing herds or pods moving from system to system.

As for worldbuilding, had an idea that the first contact we have with the creatures would be them showing up in system to breed, maybe saturn is kind of like a spawning ground for them, and the rings would provide food somehow?

I know there are forms of fungus and plants we are finding at chernobyl and fukishima that are photosynthesizing radiation. Maybe between radioactives consumed among asteroids and other space rocks and solar radiation thats how they survive?

Shadowrun actually has quite a few biomorphs along side cybernetics. Platelette factories, extra adrenal pumps, extra muscle, such like that.

There was a thread awhile back about a biopunk type setting inspired by H. R. Giger which might provide some inspiration; I'm pretty sure it got archived.

I'm a sucker for "intelligent items" or those things that blur the lines between "familiar" and "item".

A group of people bonded with intelligent beings in a Venom-like arrangement can be pretty awesome.

Gigerverse/Mundus Carnis?

Haemonculi sorta have that all the biological shit going on.

That's more surgery and drugs than bioengineering though.

It's a combination of surgery, drugs, bio-engineering, and cruel prosthetics.

What could we bioengineer into a whale in order for it to survive the vacuum of space? If we got it right, all we would have to worry about is feeding the thing and waiting for it to grow to a usable size

I think a giant squid would work better than a whale. In zero gravity it could use the tentacles to move things.

Why not GURPS?

I want more biopunk settings.

and to a lesser extent If you don't mind some surprisingly unforced norse mythology references, check out pic related.

>those questions
Pic related.
I'm more curious about what makes it 'punk'

Gurps is pretty complex, hard for a new GM to work through, and biotech in particular is a little magical realm. I say that as a fan.

>biopunk

Clanker for days get fucked gene-wrought. Playing god is gonna catch up with you cunts.

Metroid Prime and even just general Metroid concept art is full of biopunk stuff.

It's a toolbox, use as much as you're comfortable. (But, yeah, it does lean heavily on the GM.)

Are Pentapods from 2300AD Biopunk? xD

The game you're looking for is called Splicers, made by Palladium Books.

It's basically The Terminator + Biopunk + The Guyver.

Hell yes, Splicers is a fucking awesome setting, and even if a the system is dated it's still fun.

Dreadguard guyvers, an air force of dudes with organic wing/rocket packs, mutant grunt soldiers, warbeast riders, human commandos in living armor, trainers with giant mutant wolf packs, alien savior figures, dudes with nanite tendrils, etc. All fighting a schizo skynet and each others fuedal warlord nations.

Because there may have been a system more fine tuned for it than GURPS

I used GURPS for a biopunk setting once. Moon base that mined various minerals, eventually started some (literally) underground fighting rings that gained attention from various criminal organizations and led to the place finding that biopunk arena fights were more profitable than shipping rocks back to the Company. They still mine to keep up appearances, but the place is also a hotbed of genetic experimentation now. PCs were aiming to fight their way up the ranks and beat the champ, who was somewhere around Bowser with all his gengineered armor, muscle and organic napalm (binary compound squirted from spitting cobra style fangs)